Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2021 Patriot League Thread

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Re: 2021 Patriot League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    I'm sure the GU administration is being consistent though and also cancelling the remainder of the Men's Basketball season, right?
    I could honestly see that happen. They're 3-7, lots of unsettled people in DC plus it's an urban school. I think you'll see quite a few teams shutdown as the season becomes more of a lost cause. I personally would have no issue if Temple pulled the plug. It's January 8th, we've played 3 games and have had three covid shutdowns. Today was the Owls first day of practice after a 10 day layoff. Acting AD Dunphy wanted no part of the football season.

I just don't see what the PL is trying to accomplish. By the time the season starts/finishes August is not THAT far away. I think it would be wise to stay healthy (sickness and football related injuries) and try and kick butt in the fall. I'd be in favor of allowing the schools two competitive scrimmages as part of spring practice.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

Georgetown's situation is wholly independent of sports. There were approx. 200 students (out of roughly 6,800) allowed on campus in the fall, mostly students who were finishing research projects or those on a visa who couldn't get back into their own country. The spring adds up to 500 seniors, but even that's just 10 percent of the undergraduate population. All classes are remote and no faculty are present on campus. The campus is even closed to visitors.

On Georgetown's 93 man roster in 2020, 20 are seniors. There were 20 players signed in the December recruiting period. Unless there's a stray fifth year medical redshirt out there, consider the Class of 2021 as having completed their football eligibility, although a number are investigating grad transfers.

As for basketball, there are contractual obligations with the Big East which require all 10 schools to participate in basketball, and to a lesser extent, soccer, track and lacrosse. These are the only sports being fielded, so 20 other Georgetown teams are in dry dock as well. As for men's basketball, there are a grand total of 10 players (younger than seniors) added to campus this spring, playing in a controlled indoor environment. That's a marked difference between 10 kids and vs. bringing in 70+ underclassmen to play an contact support that is currently not allowed in DC restrictions. That having been said, expect no spring practice.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Good to see some activity again after checking in. Hope you guys and your families are safe and healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    Fordham men's basketball desperately needs a complete overhaul or a change in scenery. I think most would agree a new conference is needed but because the Rams are solid in other sports their administration seems to content to let the men's bball team wallow in ineptitude. Fordham men's basketball and Georgetown football are neck and neck when it comes who's failures are more egregious.
    Fordham's basketball failures dwarf Georgetown's football ones. This is supposed to be our marquee sport so it's tremendously worse imo.

I'm not sure what the long term effects of this past year will have on the entire department and our conference affiliations will be but in the short term we have an (interim) AD who is FINALLY reporting to the President. The expectation is that he (or his successor) will be able to make a run at finding a successful A10 coach again. I have to say that he's very impressive imo. Ed Kull - he's going about the job in a way that I've never seen anywhere close at Fordham in terms of fund raising, building our social media presence, involvement from alums across all sports, etc. Granted, the bar was about as low as it possibly could have been but still good to see.

As for spring football; scrap it and prepare for the fall....
    I wish. I think that would have been the right call too. In the meantime, Coach Conlin has continued to recruit really, really well for us. Just landed a kid who decommitted from Utah State this weekend. How are you guys doing? I haven't kept up with all of your teams, particularly as it relates to recruiting.

Again, hope you guys are well!
    Upon the fields of friendly strife ...

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team

I could honestly see that happen. They're 3-7, lots of unsettled people in DC plus it's an urban school. I think you'll see quite a few teams shutdown as the season becomes more of a lost cause. I personally would have no issue if Temple pulled the plug. It's January 8th, we've played 3 games and have had three covid shutdowns. Today was the Owls first day of practice after a 10 day layoff. Acting AD Dunphy wanted no part of the football season.

I just don't see what the PL is trying to accomplish. By the time the season starts/finishes August is not THAT far away. I think it would be wise to stay healthy (sickness and football related injuries) and try and kick butt in the fall. I'd be in favor of allowing the schools two competitive scrimmages as part of spring practice.
    Glad to see the Montana schools do this (not surprised based on what I heard). I highly HIGHLY doubt the PL schools will be participating in spring football as the release suggests....

Both Montana schools now look to develop a slate that allows each team to schedule up to two live competitions, falling in line more closely with the traditional spring practice period. Opponents and exact dates are still to be determined.

Montana State University President Dr. Waded Cruzado and University of Montana President Seth Bodnar made the joint decision with the health and safety of student-athletes as their primary concern for not participating in a full spring season
    https://406mtsports.com/college/big-...afe345bc6.html
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

My Team
    Holy Cross

IMO, as fans, it's easy for us to say "hey, let's just wait for fall and rest up for a real season. Especially one where actually attending games should be a reality". However, let's also remember most of our member schools are comprised of liberal arts students. For just about every senior in the league, it might be your last chance to represent your school on the field. For their sake, I hope that even an abridged season with a couple intense rivalry games is able to take place.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    IMO, as fans, it's easy for us to say "hey, let's just wait for fall and rest up for a real season. Especially one where actually attending games should be a reality". However, let's also remember most of our member schools are comprised of liberal arts students. For just about every senior in the league, it might be your last chance to represent your school on the field. For their sake, I hope that even an abridged season with a couple intense rivalry games is able to take place.
    I agree with the "once in a lifetime aspect" completely. However, the reality is the vast majority of NCAA/NAIA did not play, or will not be playing anytime soon. Outside of of a handful of FCS schools, the reason there was any college football was $$$ and contracts.

Fordham and Georgetown (I know they're out but they still have a say) are located in major urban areas while Lehigh, Lafayette and Holy Cross are in fairly large metro areas; that's an issue right there. The Covid climate in these areas is simply not good right now. That combined with general student populations/rosters that are about as geographic diverse as it gets and you have more ammo to tread lightly. Generally speaking, the PL and IL will going to error on the side of caution (might be the understatement of 2021 so far) which leads me to believe there won't be a meaningful spring season.