Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MVFC Megathread: 2024 Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FCS Master
    My Team
    North Dakota State

MVFC Megathread: 2024 Edition

Surprised this hasn't been started yet, but time to get it going with some burning questions for next year.

How well will the Jacks reload after losing so many stars off their team (including definitely-for-sure yet possibly-not Mark Groowski)?

Will the Bison be able to build on the momentum of their finish to last year (and with a new coach to boot)?

Will the Coyotes be able to back up the best D1 season in their history and make the FCS playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time?

How long until anyone actually notices that Western Illinois is no longer in the conference?
    AGS Survivor Pool Winners:

2021: crusader11
    2022: KPSUL
    2023: Karl Havoc

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota

Re: MVFC Megathread: 2024 Edition

UND fanbase starts 2024 on suicide watch. Will it end that way?

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Youngstown State

Another year, another tough sledding conference schedule in the MVFC.

My Team
    Western Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Chalupa Batman View Post
    How long until anyone actually notices that Western Illinois is no longer in the conference?
    I think a few teams might notice one less easy win on the schedule.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

My Team
    Indiana State / Eastern Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    I think a few teams might notice one less easy win on the schedule.
    Well definitely notice over in Terre Haute. Maybe we'll be able to beat Murray State?

On the plus side I'll still get to see WIU when they take on the Panthers of Eastern Illinois in the OVC. EIU might be the early favorites next year after a good 8-3 season. WIU has certainly found a good home in the OVC and I think WIU football will get going in the right direction again maybe sooner than you think. The Leathernecks basketball team has been doing good too, despite that heartbreaking loss to Tennessee State last night.

My Team
    Western Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by mvfcfan View Post
    Well definitely notice over in Terre Haute. Maybe we'll be able to beat Murray State?

On the plus side I'll still get to see WIU when they take on the Panthers of Eastern Illinois in the OVC. EIU might be the early favorites next year after a good 8-3 season. WIU has certainly found a good home in the OVC and I think WIU football will get going in the right direction again maybe sooner than you think. The Leathernecks basketball team has been doing good too, despite that heartbreaking loss to Tennessee State last night.
    Yup, basketball has really started to turn things around. Obviously turning a football program around takes a bit longer, but I'm hopeful we'll see a couple of wins next year...I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Chalupa Batman View Post
    Surprised this hasn't been started yet, but time to get it going with some burning questions for next year.

How well will the Jacks reload after losing so many stars off their team (including definitely-for-sure yet possibly-not Mark Groowski)?

Will the Bison be able to build on the momentum of their finish to last year (and with a new coach to boot)?

Will the Coyotes be able to back up the best D1 season in their history and make the FCS playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time?

1. Chase Mason will be good if Gronowski doesn’t come back. Biggest questions will be the offensive line. I think the Jacks will still win between 9-12 games. Losses to OK State, NDSU, and some other random.

2. Bizon will be better next season. Right now they’ve got this momentum. Cam has a prove-it season and goes nuts; Bizon re-discover defense. Make a big run in the playoffs.

3. I think South Dakota has a set-back season. I’m probably wrong. But, historically, when USD has a break out season, the next season with high expectations is a dud.

3. Break out team this year —- ILLINOIS STATE

4. It’s going to be weird without Western.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #SDSU

FCS Playoffs: 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
    Semifinals: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022
    National Champions: 2022

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller_34 View Post
    1. Chase Mason will be good if Gronowski doesn’t come back. Biggest questions will be the offensive line. I think the Jacks will still win between 9-12 games. Losses to OK State, NDSU, and some other random.

2. Bizon will be better next season. Right now they’ve got this momentum. Cam has a prove-it season and goes nuts; Bizon re-discover defense. Make a big run in the playoffs.

3. I think South Dakota has a set-back season. I’m probably wrong. But, historically, when USD has a break out season, the next season with high expectations is a dud.

3. Break out team this year —- ILLINOIS STATE

4. It’s going to be weird without Western.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think this is very rationale and it also fits my bias so I approve! Lol

FCS Master
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller_34 View Post
    Mason looks like he has a ton of talent, both with his arm and legs. If he is given the reins, his accuracy and ability to read defenses will determine just how good the Jacks are next year as I assume they won't take long to reload everywhere else.
    AGS Survivor Pool Winners:

2021: crusader11
    2022: KPSUL
    2023: Karl Havoc

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

I posted on another thread .. other than the "Fire Spack Now" club, the rest of Redbird Nation is feeling real good right now about 2024 season. STATS Haley put us in his 11-18 all other list and had below to say: https://theanalyst.com/na/2024/01/ne...r-view-mirror/
    The MVFC depth is incredible. Illinois State is the one that could make the biggest jump, going 6-5 this past season, but with four of the losses by a combined eight points. The Redbirds potentially have 17 returning starters, including defensive end Amir Abdullah, linebacker Tye Niekamp and running back Mason Blakemore.
    I posted some of this elsewhere. Aside from having 17 of 21 starters back .. as of this moment .. we only lose 8 SRs this year as result of big hits we took in portal after fall 2020 was canceled and then Spack going all "no mas" in Spring 2021. The exodus was from our 2019 qtr final team, we lost 9 to FBS (most started) and 1 to FCS Incarnate Word who became all american WR.

Bottom line, we only lose 8 SRs and 4 starters. We're doing well in transfer portal so far .. no starters lost, and picked up 3 P5 and 2 G5 so far. So after 2 very young fall 2021 and 2022 teams, in 2024 we'll have 55 upper class .. 25 SRs and 30 JRs .. half our roster. We really like our #2 QB who stepped in for last 2 games after #1 Annexstad went down. The #2 didn't skip a beat taking over .. smoked MuSt 44-7 and lost 22-21 on last drive to UND omn road. Most encouraging things was for first time ever under Spack, we brought in a #2 and didn't have to close half the play book .. #2 QB is Rittenhouse, and he's a true dual threat who reminds me of taller more mobile version of SIU Baker. So with Annexstad gone, we also got Kansas St QB transfer Jake Rubley (4 star) a Klieman recruit who didn't work out.

Anyway .. got a lot coming back. This is most excited Ive been in a while.