Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WAC Football 2022

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WAC Football 2022

Not sure about anyone else, but I am down with Western Athletic Conference football in 2022.

Schools...

Abilene Christian
    Dixie State
    Lamar
    Sam Houston State
    Stephen F Austin
    Tarleton State

If you are Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin, you maintain the Battle of the Piney Woods.
    Lamar will and could still play McNeese out of league play and SFA can do the same with Northwestern State. I doubt those schools would want to give up those rivalry games especially with the short travel.

The new, constituted WAC would likely need to add one more school if not two. Ideally UTRGV would add football and I know there's talks of Southern Utah (which would be an hour commute from Dixie State, great for non-football sports!) to help fill a few more slots on the schedule but you could easily have plenty of SLC vs WAC games, plus WAC vs SWAC games for the OOC play.
    -The Terror-

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    San Diego

Re: WAC Football 2022

You are envisioning a huge conference.

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    The SLC would have

Houston Baptist
    Incarnate Word
    McNeese St.
    New Orleans
    Nicholls St.
    Northwestern St.
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Texas A&M Corpus-Christi

If needed they could probably add UT-RGV or Midwestern State. Either way, they'll survive.
    The issue with the above Southland is that they are at eight schools for hoops (and even fewer for some sports as UNO for instance does not sponsor soccer / softball), which is the absolute minimum for an at-large. I do not foresee any of the schools leaving, but it could certainly be an issue. The newly split off from Southland will need to add any Division II school that they can get their hand(s) on, particularly ones that have football.

The WAC which will have a heavier and more visible Texas presence will have the "pick of the litter" of any Division II programs from the state. I doubt anyone sees ULM moving back into the Southland. The remainder of SLC is really what hurts the most from this thing if UCA and the four Texas institutions leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Sardonicus View Post
    You are envisioning a huge conference.
    How is the six aforementioned schools a huge conference? Five schools in Texas - all within reasonable drives - and then the one in Utah (Dixie State).

Maybe in the other sports (though they can keep to divisions, cost containment with the TEXAS schools altogether especially when Chicago State leaves the leave as anticipated).
    -The Terror-

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Sam Houston

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    The issue with the above Southland is that they are at eight schools for hoops (and even fewer for some sports as UNO for instance does not sponsor soccer / softball), which is the absolute minimum for an at-large. I do not foresee any of the schools leaving, but it could certainly be an issue. The newly split off from Southland will need to add any Division II school that they can get their hand(s) on, particularly ones that have football.

The WAC which will have a heavier and more visible Texas presence will have the "pick of the litter" of any Division II programs from the state. I doubt anyone sees ULM moving back into the Southland. The remainder of SLC is really what hurts the most from this thing if UCA and the four Texas institutions leave.

How is the six aforementioned schools a huge conference? Five schools in Texas - all within reasonable drives - and then the one in Utah (Dixie State).

Maybe in the other sports (though they can keep to divisions, cost containment with the TEXAS schools altogether especially when Chicago State leaves the leave as anticipated).
    I could see a few other Big Sky teams considering a move. Maybe NAU or Northern Colorado. If the WAC could entice New Mexico State to join, that would be a nice addition.
    The Moth don't care if the Flame is real.

Another thought. SFA fans have been saying this change of conference is about the "next move" perhaps in the same way that UTSA and TXST were able to. The WAC also has that grandfathered FBS clause which leads to something I touch on below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    I could see a few other Big Sky teams considering a move. Maybe NAU or Northern Colorado. If the WAC could entice New Mexico State to join, that would be a nice addition.
    NMSU is not joining - they have no reason to give up annual home/away games with UTEP and New Mexico. Their fans would lose their marbles! They also seem to have done a decent job getting home/home with Mountain West schools, who like the familiarity with NMSU and the ability to not travel significantly east.

NMSU is probably hoping that there's a viable FBS possibility down the road with these WAC upstarts (the Texas institutions from the Southland) and the schools already within the league (Dixie State, Tarleton State). We'll see what happens.
    -The Terror-

My Team
    Holy Cross

Another thought. SFA fans have been saying this change of conference is about the "next move" perhaps in the same way that UTSA and TXST were able to. The WAC also has that grandfathered FBS clause which leads to something I touch on below.

NMSU is not joining - they have no reason to give up annual home/away games with UTEP and New Mexico. Their fans would lose their marbles! They also seem to have done a decent job getting home/home with Mountain West schools, who like the familiarity with NMSU and the ability to not travel significantly east.

NMSU is probably hoping that there's a viable FBS possibility down the road with these WAC upstarts (the Texas institutions from the Southland) and the schools already within the league (Dixie State, Tarleton State). We'll see what happens.
    Spoiler alert. That list of schools will never be a viable FBS conference.

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    San Diego

How is the six aforementioned schools a huge conference?
    They already have nine schools. You would have them take on four more...for 13(?!?). So many questions here, starting with why the Southland schools would leave.

I've observed that most schools don't want to be in gigantic conferences, unless the TV money is great. More slices of the pie mean smaller slices for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Sardonicus View Post
    They already have nine schools. You would have them take on four more...for 13(?!?). So many questions here, starting with why the Southland schools would leave.
    General impression is Chicago State is leaving and you’d be able to build a 12-team conference with a pair of divisions, one of which is all Texas schools in a relatively tight geographical alignment. There’s some things you can do across most sports to keep costs down.

General reason for leaving is moving to a league with more upside and better potential of upward mobility. The FBS carrot may be there but I think on the larger scale, this is viewed as a positive move for the schools and while we have questions about finances, are sure those things are being worked out
    -The Terror-

My Team
    Chattanooga

If these schools exit and Central Arkansas was to leave for the A-Sun football conference, what would become of the Southland?

Quote Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
    If these schools exit and Central Arkansas was to leave for the A-Sun football conference, what would become of the Southland?
    The SLC would have

Houston Baptist
    Incarnate Word
    McNeese St.
    New Orleans
    Nicholls St.
    Northwestern St.
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Texas A&M Corpus-Christi

If needed they could probably add UT-RGV or Midwestern State. Either way, they'll survive.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."