Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article opining on W&M to PL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Article opining on W&M to PL

Slow news day (sports wise, at least).

Missed this article from a few days ago. Don't think anyone else posted it here yet? If so, apologies.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/...fe6326302.html

Major FCS Advocate
    My Team
    San Diego

Re: Article opining on W&M to PL

Outside the Pioneer league, has any FCS team moved to a significantly weaker football conference? Having trouble seeing why W&M would switch. "Congruent" academic standards and $4.99 will get Patriot fans some beef jerky.

My Team
    Western Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Sardonicus View Post
    Outside the Pioneer league, has any FCS team moved to a significantly weaker football conference? Having trouble seeing why W&M would switch. "Congruent" academic standards and $4.99 will get Patriot fans some beef jerky.
    VMI moved from the SoCon to the Big South in 2003, at the time, the BS was significantly weaker (still is) conference.

Visit The Catamount Sports Forum and Purple & Gold

"Go Cats" RIP - catamount man

First Class FCS Ruler whoanellie's Avatar

Presbyterian College in SC is or has moved to the Pioneer Conference from the Big South. Campbell sort of switched with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Presbyterian College in SC is or has moved to the Pioneer Conference from the Big South. Campbell sort of switched with them.

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Temple

That's a steep move down, essentially for football you're moving down from the #2 conference in the country to probably the #10 conference as the only leagues rated below the Patriot League would be the Pioneer, MEAC and NEC. All other conferences would most years rank over the PL.

My Team
    Chattanooga

I don't know much about W&M but it could be the right move for them even if it's to a weaker conference. It's not like they are really in play for the CAA Championship (or a playoff spot) most years anyways. The PL might let them be more competitive and to be fair, probably an easier road to the playoffs. The real reason would be if they felt like it would give them rivalries that would get their fan base more energized, though it sounds like they already have some rivals in the CAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
    I don't know much about W&M but it could be the right move for them even if it's to a weaker conference. .
    I know that it's apples and oranges, but this has occurred in basketball. Indeed, several PL teams have arguably "stepped down" a conference to challenge for PL hoops crown.

First Class FCS Ruler NY Crusader 2010's Avatar
    My Team
    Holy Cross

By "several teams", you mean American?

William & Mary will join the PL when Minnesota goes Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    By "several teams", you mean American?
    Navy, like American, was also in the CAA.

Other current PL basketball teams came from the MAAC and America East. I don't think many would argue that the PL was a step up for them. At best, a lateral move...

First Class FCS Ruler NY Crusader 2010's Avatar
    My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Go Green View Post
    Navy, like American, was also in the CAA.

Other current PL basketball teams came from the MAAC and America East. I don't think many would argue that the PL was a step up for them. At best, a lateral move...
    Loyola (MAAC) and BU (A-East) to the PL are lateral moves in Men's Basketball but significant upgrades in other sports. BU won the PL hoops title this past March (too bad no one will remember) and Loyola has not been competitive since joining in 2012.

Navy did join the PL out of the CAA but both service academies were founding members in 1991. Army and Holy Cross joined the newfound Patriot League out of the MAAC. Colgate came from the North Atlantic Conference which eventually became A-East. Not sure about Bucknell, Lehigh and Lafayette => they were all D-II in football before joining the Colonial League but I think they were D-I in basketball.