Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISU Redbirds in 2020 NFL

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

ISU Redbirds in 2020 NFL

Very pleasant surprise here .. Jaguars have ISUr RB Robinson #1 on RB depth chart .. not bad for a UDFA. Granted, they just released Leonard Fournette.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/9...gruden-starter

Nice article on Robinson from couple hours ago:

"After the Jaguars waived Leonard Fournette, the question of who the team would turn to became paramount, but Robinson has been impressing coaches ever since he stepped foot on the gridiron at the Dream Finders Homes Practice Field in Jacksonville."

Gruden likes him a lot apparently. Article mentiones many of his RB skills, etc .. but also said several times how "no nonsense" he is .... apparently dig at their former RB.

Also noted 2014 Redbird TE James Oshaughnessy is still 2nd string TE for Jaguars.

Last edited by Redbird 4th & short; September 9th, 2020 at 08:58 PM.

My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: ISUr James Robinson, UDFA, Jaguars #1 RB

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird 4th & short View Post
    Very pleasant surprise here .. Jaguars have ISUr RB Robinson #1 on RB depth chart .. not bad for a UDFA. Granted, they just released Leonard Fournette.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/9...gruden-starter

Nice article on Robinson from couple hours ago:

"After the Jaguars waived Leonard Fournette, the question of who the team would turn to became paramount, but Robinson has been impressing coaches ever since he stepped foot on the gridiron at the Dream Finders Homes Practice Field in Jacksonville."

Gruden likes him a lot apparently. Article mentiones many of his RB skills, etc .. but also said several times how "no nonsense" he is .... apparently dig at their former RB.

Also noted 2014 Redbird TE James Oshaughnessy is still 2nd string TE for Jaguars.

Hes got his foot in the door!!! Best of luck to him.
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonoline View Post
    Hes got his foot in the door!!! Best of luck to him.
    Thanks, we'll see how it goes. I won't be surprised if he struggles at times. But he reads field well and is patient until it is time to hit the hole. Holes close faster at next level .. we'll see how well he reads and adjusts to next level.

Thing about him not getting drafted ... I wasn't so sure he would get drafted given his speed issue. But honestly, he fared better than I thought he would for next level in his other areas. He did very well at combine, except his forty was 4.64. He did very well all week at Shrine practice and game, but on his 2 big plays, he was closed on from behind. The open field speed thing killed his draft stock no matter how much he impressed in every other way. Same in Jacksonville apparently .. he seems to impress in every phase of game, except open field speed.

My Team
    Delaware

Great example of how continuing to work hard leads to opportunity.

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

Should have called this thread Redbirds in 2020 NFL, but I got all excited about Robinson starting.

In any case ... just learned Redbird TE James Oshaugnessy (2014) has moved to #1 starter on depth chart.

Also have DT Shelby Harris (2012) starting for Denver Broncos. And DB Davontae Harris (2017) #2 on depth chart at left corner.

Washington just signed LG Mike Liedtke (2014) .. this dude has not really broken thru in terms of playing time. But so impressive how he keeps getting resigned. He was out all last season and sttill got signed this season.

Chicago Bears had made high priority signing Tre Roberson (2015, QB turned DB) .. but he broke his foot personal training. So he is now on their non-football injury list, and they are continuing to treat him and get him ready. But he would have been on their roster, probably #2. He was the highest paid CFL signing by NFL in about 10 years and had many teams trying him out and looking to sign him.

WR Cam Meredith (2014) was signed for 2 years by the Patriots in 2019, but he couldn't get over hump of 2 knee injuries and was eventually released last fall.

So 5 former Redbirds currently on 2020 NFL rosters, with a 6th recovering from injury. Got 3 starting week 1, and the other 2 are 2nd string.

I'm no better than you...probably
    My Team
    Montana

Great news for the young man. I moved this thread too bird. If it's NFL or recruiting it goes on the Ins & Outs board please.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

Robinson had a real nice 1st half ... 9 carries 57 yards, but stats fizzled 2nd half .. finished with just 65. But he had a great catch and run/hurdle out of backfield in 2nd half .. impressive in that he kept his footing despite being hit.

Having trouble posting video link .. it's worth a watch

https://twitter.com/generationjag/status/1305227652073172993?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBi99jshTv4
    Last edited by Redbird 4th & short; September 13th, 2020 at 08:45 PM.

My Team
    Montana

"At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."

My Team
    Montana

Not sure why that twitter mod is not working Redbird. Good clip though for sure.

My Team
    Montana

The YouTube embed does work just in case you did not know on that one.