Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 50% Threshold

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Abilene Christian

The 50% Threshold

The NCAA says 50% of eligible schools must play this fall for playoffs to happen. Here’s where we are, subject to change by the hour:

Big Sky (13)
    Big South( 5) Hampton no Fall sports. North Ala not eligible
    CAA (3) JMU, Elon, Nova will play. Conference cancelled
    MVFC (11)
    Ohio Valley (9)
    Pioneer (9)
    Southern (9)
    Southland (9) SFA and McNeese not Eligible

That’s 68 schools left standing.

How many schools are eligible? This isn’t an easy question to answer for FCS. There are 127 FCS schools. Transitional schools and those with APR problems aren’t eligible. That much is clear. Six schools fit in these categories (Tarleton, Dixie State and North Alabama are Transitional. SFA, McNeese and Prairie View are under APR sanction). This leaves 121 FCS schools to consider.

What about schools that could be eligible but whose conferences choose not to participate or whose conference champions play in their own championship game rather than the FCS playoffs? Do those schools count as “eligible?” The Ivy League, MEAC and SWAC fall into these categories.

If the NCAA determines schools from these conferences must be counted than FCS is barely above the required minimum with 68/121 eligible schools.

If the NCAA permits a more liberal defininition of eligible schools to include only schools from conferences that normally participate in the playoffs, the FCS is in good shape, with 68/98 playing.

There’s also a middle ground option. Sam Herder Tweeted that he spoke with a member of the D1 Council who believes the Ivy will not be counted but the MEAC and SWAC will count toward the total number of eligible schools. If this opinion proves correct, The current tally is 68/113 or 60%.

Re: The 50% Threshold

Who's going to pay for all the mandatory Covid testing if they are eligible to play?

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    Who's going to pay for all the mandatory Covid testing if they are eligible to play?
    What do you care, you pussies don't participate anyway
    Funnier than no one, loser at smack

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    What do you care, you pussies don't participate anyway
    I don't know who the mods are but this should not be tolerated.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    What do you care? You pussies don't participate anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by major095 View Post
    I don't know who the mods are but this should not be tolerated.
    Agreed. The punctuation is HORRIBLE! (fixed it)
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

FCS Master

Probably the schools themselves. The bulk of expenses for FCS football is already borne by the schools as the NCAA provides very little funding up to and continuing through the playoffs. I don't know why that would change now.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Probably the schools themselves. The bulk of expenses for FCS football is already borne by the schools as the NCAA provides very little funding up to and continuing through the playoffs. I don't know why that would change now.
    My point is how do they expect to pay for those? From what I'm hearing it can go up to $100k a pop and it has to be done weekly. Not sure of the accuracy but if it's even close to being accurate. 95% of FCS schools can't afford that.

These will be paid for the same way the SWAC will pay in the spring.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Catatonic View Post
    The NCAA says 50% of eligible schools must play this fall for playoffs to happen. Here’s where we are, subject to change by the hour:

Big Sky (13)
    Big South( 5) Hampton no Fall sports. North Ala not eligible
    CAA (3) JMU, Elon, Nova will play. Conference cancelled
    MVFC (11)
    Ohio Valley (9)
    Pioneer (9)
    Southern (9)
    Southland (9) SFA and McNeese not Eligible

That’s 68 schools left standing.

How many schools are eligible? This isn’t an easy question to answer for FCS. There are 127 FCS schools. Transitional schools and those with APR problems aren’t eligible. That much is clear. Six schools fit in these categories (Tarleton, Dixie State and North Alabama are Transitional. SFA, McNeese and Prairie View are under APR sanction). This leaves 121 FCS schools to consider.

What about schools that could be eligible but whose conferences choose not to participate or whose conference champions play in their own championship game rather than the FCS playoffs? Do those schools count as “eligible?” The Ivy League, MEAC and SWAC fall into these categories.

If the NCAA determines schools from these conferences must be counted than FCS is barely above the required minimum with 68/121 eligible schools.

If the NCAA permits a more liberal defininition of eligible schools to include only schools from conferences that normally participate in the playoffs, the FCS is in good shape, with 68/98 playing.

There’s also a middle ground option. Sam Herder Tweeted that he spoke with a member of the D1 Council who believes the Ivy will not be counted but the MEAC and SWAC will count toward the total number of eligible schools. If this opinion proves correct, The current tally is 68/113 or 60%.
    Hopefully the NCAA won't count the "ineligible" teams or the ones who choose not to participate...as they have no bearing on the playoff count anyway. But you know the NCAA...
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.

AGS FCS Champion

I fully expect the Pioneer to bail so we are pretty much screwed for having playoffs this year but I still hope the rest of these teams play this fall and don't pretend a spring season might happen because it won't.