Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranking the FCS Conferences in 2020

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

Ranking the FCS Conferences in 2020

... surprised to see no one post this before me?

The PL just above the SWAC? I'm stunned but can they rebound?

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...62004647435204
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

Re: Ranking the FCS Conferences in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post

The SWAC passes the PL in 2020. Their top seven is better than the PL's seven.

Of more regional interest is that the NEC has pulled ahead of the PL.
    Last edited by DFW HOYA; May 30th, 2020 at 03:31 PM.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...62004647435204
    The pioneer should be above the swac.
    Funnier than no one, loser at smack

My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    The SWAC passes the PL in 2020. Their top seven is better than the PL's seven.

Of more regional interest is that the NEC has pulled ahead of the PL.
    Spot on, especially if we're basing 2020 pre-season rankings on last year's product. I've been saying for a couple years that the NEC has passed us, even though the computer rankings continue to show us slightly stronger. However, the PL as a whole was about as young as I've ever seen it in 2019. I think you're going to see multiple teams make marked improvement. Two teams I have my eye on are Lafayette (proven QB who started as a frosh LY -- only PL QB who could effectively throw the ball downfield) and Fordham. HC should remain a title contender -- a change at OC is a plus IMO. I don't know enough about what Georgetown returns. But they were definitely a disappointment in conference last year and it wouldn't surprise me to see them in the top 3.

Am I sleeping on Tom Gilmore?

FCS Ruler

Come on now, where’s Haley? We all know the CAA is the best conf.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Can the PL produce more than 1 team with a winning record for the for the first time since 2016? I'd like to think so but it's far from a slam dunk. Holy Cross should be able to keep their head above water thanks to a very good coach. Colgate has the QB and some good pieces but did lose quite a bit along the OL. Bucknell would be my wildcard. They were darn close to a winning record in Cecchini's first year. Lehigh needs to find an OL and QB. Lafayette had 2-3 games last year that turned some heads but overall they were not very good in year 3 of the Garrett era. Fordham has a boatload for talent (best LB duo on FCS) but can't put it all together. I've basically given up on Georgetown. I know they suffered injuries last year but a winless conference season after all the expectations was a failure for Sgarlata and the program. I don't think they bounce back from that.

I also believe the Ivy League will still be a Top 5 conference in 2020 despite the big 3 suffering significant losses. The talent level is soo deep and the staffs don't change much. The top teams simply reload this point....
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    Can the PL produce more than 1 team with a winning record for the for the first time since 2016? I'd like to think so but it's far from a slam dunk. Holy Cross should be able to keep their head above water thanks to a very good coach. Colgate has the QB and some good pieces but did lose quite a bit along the OL. Bucknell would be my wildcard. They were darn close to a winning record in Cecchini's first year. Lehigh needs to find an OL and QB. Lafayette had 2-3 games last year that turned some heads but overall they were not very good in year 3 of the Garrett era. Fordham has a boatload for talent (best LB duo on FCS) but can't put it all together. I've basically given up on Georgetown. I know they suffered injuries last year but a winless conference season after all the expectations was a failure for Sgarlata and the program. I don't think they bounce back from that.

I also believe the Ivy League will still be a Top 5 conference in 2020 despite the big 3 suffering significant losses. The talent level is soo deep and the staffs don't change much. The top teams simply reload this point....
    I feel like I've said this about a half-dozen times about Bucknell since 2007 and every time they just end up being what we're used to seeing out of Lewisburg. They did have that one season where they had that OT loss to Fordham 5 or 6 years ago and finished 9-2.

As far as teams with winning records, I'm predicting 3 out of 7 will find a way to be +.500 this year. Since we started playing FBS guarantee games, the overall winning % of the conference has declined. That's what happens when you replace low-end Ivies and Marist with the likes of Syracuse, Navy and Air Force on the schedules. On top of that, for whatever reason, Sacred Heart and Monmouth can't lose against the PL. Probably 15-0 against our conference collectively since about 2015.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Herder View Post
    Come on now, where’s Haley? We all know the CAA is the best conf.
    So where do the Conferences stand now?

The best conference is the MVFC, aka Paul McCartney and Wings but the decade of dominance is over and we have a new man

AGS FCS Champion

MVFC
    Big Sky

CAA

AWC
    Southland
    SOCON
    Big South
    Ivy League
    OVC

SWAC
    NEC
    Patriot League
    MEAC
    Pioneer League
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.