Thread: How are you affected by Virus?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

Re: How are you affected by Virus?

Quote Originally Posted by centennial View Post
    This ridiculous take will cause this disease to kill thousands upon thousands of Americans. Enjoy your God given freedom.

Of course. We went over this before.
    Centennial .. you make much more sense to me than the others.

Some basic numbers to put this Covid-19 into perspective for the United States.

- the US population makes up just over 4% of the world population: 330m of 7.7b

- the US Coronavirus Cases make up 30% of the world cases: appraoching 470k out of 1.6m, and we're still outpacing the rest of world combined, which means this 30% is still increasing, relative to rest of world.

- the US Coronavirus Deaths make up 17% of of the world deaths: 16k out of 90k, and again we're still outpacing rest of world combined.

As for the US Death Rates (per day per Million), check out below attachment. Compare the US trend line with Italy and South Korea trend lines. We're much closer to Italy (3 weeks ago) than we are to South Korea. We could have responded like South Korea, but we didn't and nor we're we prepared to. But right now, we're looking a lot like Italy. Though it is possible and likely IMO, we won't continue to look as much like Italy gor forward, as qwe have historically. But the next 10 days are going to be telling and very difficult in terms of our death rate. The 16,000 deaths to date could approach 40,000 or more before we start to bend that curve in 10-14 days. Considering how slow we were to ramp up testing, it will take longer to bend that curve.

Back to my original point ... we make up 4% of the world population, but over 30% of the Covid-19 cases. Further problem is, our numbers are still outpacing the rest of the world .. meaning, in short term, our numbers are still getting worse. This is why every chart of US shows us with the steepest curve .. not just counts, which are misleading, but per capita numbers too.

p.s. I'm totally ignoring any number out of China ... not to be believed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coronavirus Deaths per Capita 4.8.20.jpg