Quote Originally Posted by centennial View Post
The numbers indicate $105 million as endowment. It was $99 million the last time they measured it.

That college list has some peers and some outliers. TCU has $1.5 billion endowment, it's a Big 12 school. Similarly Baylor is $1.3 billion endowment. JMU is a growing college without big donors and big pockets. By the definition we used when we were in school, it barely classifies as a full university. Hopefully that changes 15 years from now. As far as your athletic budget is concerned, it is at least 2-3x the size it should be. JMU is already at a mid G5 level in funding. The problem comes from Virginia state law. JMU will need to decrease to probably ODU levels, at that point student funding goes down 15%. Without over the top student fees JMU would be a low FCS or a high DII school. If I remember from 2 years ago, it used to be around 2k per student using creative accounting.

These numbers are not defensible in my position. It took me 8 years of being an engineer to pay back my out of state NDSU loans. If that got increased to 9 because NDSU could be FBS I probably wouldn't have been happy.
Really, why do you care whether or not JMU has a college of Engineering, Law or Medicine; or how big their endowment is? The whole discussion is a petty, futile attempt to disparage an excellent football program. Obviously , you've never been anywhere near the JMU campus - to argue that they aren't substantial enough to have a FCS football team is ridiculous.