Quote Originally Posted by Anthony215 View Post
The only issue i have with the transfer portal is when guys transfer up a division like TJ Holl who went from AA LB at Colgate to special teams at Louisville. He could have went to probably a AAC school like Temple/Cincinnati and earned more PT if he just wanted to experience playing in a Bowl Game or stayed in FCS and went to a top tier CAA school if he wanted a fair shot at winning in the playoffs. Those 3 years of film at Colgate were enough to garner scout attention but having to ride the pine in year 4 and not see many defensive snaps probably won't enhance his pro opportunities.
I don't know Holl's situation but could be that Louisville had a grad program he was interested or maybe he wanted to try his hand in a "power conference." If the portal enhanced those possibilities, then it's a good thing. I'm not for full-scale, unrestricted transfer rules, but if upward transfers are allowed under certain conditions, I'm all for a way to expand options. It's up the student-athlete to make decisions based on their personal situation.