Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Drops Football

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

My Team
    New Hampshire

Re: Jacksonville Drops Football

Adios, they wont be missed really.

Yankee/A-10/CAA Conference Champs - 1947 1948 1950 1952 1953 1962 1968 1975 1976 1991 1994 2005 2012 2014 2022
    FCS Playoffs - 1991 1994 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2022

2016 CAA Pick'em Champ!
    2021 CAA Pick'em Champ!

UNH 14'

AGS FCS Master

so JU played in the "non-scholarship" PFL, but now that the football program is discontinued all the (former) football players are now offered full tuition scholarships if they choose to stay there. (not complaining or anything. it is a classy move after a difficult decision. It just seemed as kind of a contrast.)

Master FCS Advocate SactoHornetFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ79 View Post
    so JU played in the "non-scholarship" PFL, but now that the football program is discontinued all the (former) football players are now offered full tuition scholarships if they choose to stay there.
    Plus the fact, since all football athletes pay tuition at $38,140 per year (https://www.ju.edu/financialservices...ergraduate.php), at 95 athletes, that's $3.6 million that the university will now lose. How are they going to redirect those monies when you just lost about 100 students at a 4,000 student university? Those funds just don't magically stay...they will disappear.
    Fight, Hornet, Fight!

Quote Originally Posted by SactoHornetFan View Post
    Plus the fact, since all football athletes pay tuition at $38,140 per year (https://www.ju.edu/financialservices...ergraduate.php), at 95 athletes, that's $3.6 million that the university will now lose. How are they going to redirect those monies when you just lost about 100 students at a 4,000 student university? Those funds just don't magically stay...they will disappear.
    It's called: How do we prevent the impending lawsuit?

Master FCS Advocate SactoHornetFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PAllen View Post
    It's called: How do we prevent the impending lawsuit?
    What lawsuit? This will be a decision they will rue.

Out here, nobody really ever thinks of Pacific anymore. They dropped football 25 years ago this next year. Their enrollment is still around what it was around 1995: about 6K undergrads. Other than a couple of years of Men's Hoops winning the Big West, UOP is a forgotten university in the West. They thought all that money would go to other sports like Field Hockey...and surprise, they just folded that program last year after they tore down old Stagg Stadium to put in a new field hockey pitch.

UOP: no football, out of sight, out of mind.
    Fight, Hornet, Fight!

My Team
    Indiana State

Out here, nobody really ever thinks of Pacific anymore. They dropped football 25 years ago this next year. Their enrollment is still around what it was around 1995: about 6K undergrads. Other than a couple of years of Men's Hoops winning the Big West, UOP is a forgotten university in the West. They thought all that money would go to other sports like Field Hockey...and surprise, they just folded that program last year after they tore down old Stagg Stadium to put in a new field hockey pitch.

What about Wichita State? Jakdsonville could take that budget, find the money to replace the football player's tuition bump all that money into a coach's salary and then maybe they could dominate a conference then get into a new G5 conference then disappear.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

The Gophers played Pacific at the Metrodome- I think it was the last year that they had football. I was going to go that night but had a bad sore throat. Wished that I would have- I could have added the Tigers to the my list of team seen.

I remember when Wichita had football too. And the plane crash.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

Master FCS Advocate
    My Team
    N/A

Jacksonville students are not paying $38k a year in tuition. That is the sticker price. Very few are actually paying that.

The school will not lose that money. Unless you think they won't be able to fill those seats that were previously filled with football players. They were spending $1M a year (the cost of running the program) to attract football players to the school. They can now fill those seats with non-football players and will be able to spend less than $1M a year to attract those non-football playing students.

Major FCS Ruler Derby City Duke's Avatar
    My Team
    James Madison
    Back on the Bourbon Trail, but as the Designated Driver

I'd be very surprised if the athletes were actually paying the full $38K. Most schools that don't offer athletic scholarships (PFL, D-III) put together significant aid packages together for their athletes, using grants and academic/foundation scholarships to get to the tuition number. I suspect there is also some student loan debt involved as well. Probably not that big a hit on tuition dollars that they won't make up by admitting additional students next year.

Good on the university for putting the students who wish to remain at JU on fully academic scholarship.
    "Time is something that cannot be bought, it cannot be wagered with God, and it is not an endless supply. Time is simply how you live your life." -- Craig Sager

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." -- Jim Valvano

Champion, 2018 MVFC Pick 'em