Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Jacksonville Drops Football

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

Re: Jacksonville Drops Football

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    What's more apparent is the lack of progress NCAA basketball tournament participation after football drops off. The idea that not having football will elevate basketball is not grounded in fact.

Santa Clara: Dropped Feb 1992, last NCAA appearance 1996
    Northridge: Dropped FB 2001, one NCAA since
    Hofstra: Dropped FB 2009, no NCAA 's since
    BU: Dropped FB 1997, two NCAA 's since
    As an ETSU alum, I believe it. The first year without football, the bottom fell out in basketball as we had ten wins under a coach named Murry Bartow. We got better but was only able to get two NCAA appearances (2009, 2010), one NIT appearance (2007), two CIT appearances (2010-semis, 2014-2nd round). Bartow got fired in 2015 which ironically was the year football came back.
    Once upon a time, my alma mater hired Randy Sanders, a coach with multiple nattys as an assistant. But then he retired recently. Sanders blessed us with:

- Our first SoCon title and a playoff bid in his first year
    - A complete rebuild his second year and got shafted out of a playoff bid his third year
    - Our first SEC scalp ever and FBS win since 1987, second SoCon title and first 11-win season EVER!

IT'S GREAT TO BE A BUCCANEER!

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    Birmingham Southern, you remember? They started football after moving down.

I wonder if I notice a pattern here - all the ex-FCS / I-AA programs who dropped football in the past 30 years or so are due to the following reasons:

1. California de-emphasis on football - public in particular (as of this writing, only 6 UC/CSU remain playing, down from around 25+ in the 1980s)
    2. Greedy presidents (LFN, I echo you) - Northeastern I'm not so sure with. BU and Hofstra, yes, both were due to greedy presidents.
    3. Coaches / presidents disagreements on how football is run at the school (this was probably the kicker for Jacksonville here)
    I think in the case of ETSU it was 2. It was done under the guise of "budget cuts" with the claim that it was losing $1 million/year. I wrote a report that basically debunked Stanton's thesis, only to have Dave Mullins (our genius AD at the time) demagogue the daylights out of my findings.
    Once upon a time, my alma mater hired Randy Sanders, a coach with multiple nattys as an assistant. But then he retired recently. Sanders blessed us with:

- A complete rebuild his second year and got shafted out of a playoff bid his third year
    - Our first SEC scalp ever and FBS win since 1987, second SoCon title and first 11-win season EVER!

Major FCS Ruler NY Crusader 2010's Avatar
    My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n View Post
    As an ETSU alum, I believe it. The first year without football, the bottom fell out in basketball as we had ten wins under a coach named Murry Bartow. We got better but was only able to get two NCAA appearances (2009, 2010), one NIT appearance (2007), two CIT appearances (2010-semis, 2014-2nd round). Bartow got fired in 2015 which ironically was the year football came back.
    Almost forgot about ETSU dropping football. Now that I recall, didn't you guys also get kicked out of the SoCon as a result? Or was joining the A-Sun a voluntary move at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    Almost forgot about ETSU dropping football. Now that I recall, didn't you guys also get kicked out of the SoCon as a result? Or was joining the A-Sun a voluntary move at the time?
    ETSU was kicked out. It didn't help that ETSU had demanded the conference kick out VMI for moving their football program out of the conference a few years earlier.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    ETSU was kicked out. It didn't help that ETSU had demanded the conference kick out VMI for moving their football program out of the conference a few years earlier.
    And the irony out of all of this was ETSU made their decision to shut down their program the very year VMI left the SoCon. Our "leadership" team supposedly reached out to other leagues to include Conference USA (who told them hell no), OVC (really) and the Atlantic Sun (who accepted them later that year). I imagine the Sun Belt and Big South told our "leadership" team hell no as well. Speaking of VMI, I had a coworker who was a VMI alum when I found out ETSU, Mercer and VMI were heading to the SoCon. He thanked me for letting him know and one day later I noticed he was wearing a VMI polo shirt.

I recall hearing a few years back Lafayette was going to do an home and home with JAX. I guess I didnt know there was a JAX and JAX ST. I presume it would have been with the Dolphins? It seems like I recall hearing this 3 or 4 years ago or so and I presume the dropping of football was why that wasnt carried out.

My Team
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Pards Rule View Post
    I recall hearing a few years back Lafayette was going to do an home and home with JAX. I guess I didnt know there was a JAX and JAX ST. I presume it would have been with the Dolphins? It seems like I recall hearing this 3 or 4 years ago or so and I presume the dropping of football was why that wasnt carried out.
    Had to bring this thread back for that?????????? lol..

2016 CAA Pick'em Champ!
    2021 CAA Pick'em Champ!

UNH 14'

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

Quote Originally Posted by UNHWildcat18 View Post
    Had to bring this thread back for that?????????? lol..
    With all of the Ben & Jerry's talk we need to be reminded that at one point Vermont did have football.

Vermont Catamounts football - Wikipedia
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick