79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albany Great Danes

24 30.38%
  • Montana State Bobcats

55 69.62%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Albany at #5 Montana State

Albany at #5 Montana State

Because somebody ought to post this, even if Bobcat fans don't know why Albany would bother to show up.

It may be closer than they think.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

First Class FCS Ruler bobcathpdevil56's Avatar
    My Team
    Montana State

Re: Albany at #5 Montana State

Thanks for starting the thread. I was going to but got real nervous like when it came time to create the poll.

- - - Updated - - -

This will be a great game. Need to have the focused, aggressive team that showed up against the Griz, show up again on Saturday.

AGS FCS Champion

Pretty simple for Albany... stop Montana St's ground game stop Montana St. The Bobcats are 9-1 when they go over 150 rushing yards and 0-2 when they don't. That's easier said than done though against the 6th best rushing attack in the FCS.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

That’s one of those false stats - teams rush for more yards BECAUSE they’re ahead and working the clock. They pass more when they’re behind and need to score in a hurry.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

My Team
    Montana State

Quote Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post
    Because somebody ought to post this, even if Bobcat fans don't know why Albany would bother to show up.

It may be closer than they think.
    Thanks UAalum72! I've been waiting for someone to get this discussion going. I even contemplated asking on other threads, because like bobcathpdevil, I was apprehensive of starting a thread, especially needing a poll.

I caught the end of the 2nd to mid-4th quarter of the Danes' game and was impressed by the passing game. #4 and #11 looked really good. Our secondary has its work cut out for it indeed. Hopefully our DL can make Undercuffler uncomfortable and force a mistake or two. As Chaos said, there's no secret how we plan to win the game: control the LOS on both sides of the ball and pound away with a stable of people running the ball (think I even saw a concession worker take a handoff against the Griz).

My Team
    Montana State

That’s one of those false stats - teams rush for more yards BECAUSE they’re ahead and working the clock. They pass more when they’re behind and need to score in a hurry.
    Not in MSU's case... we only average .65 more yards per pass attempt than rushing attempt and with the more substantial risk of bad things happening given the quality of our QB play, we're really better off running the ball regardless unless it's REALLY late. We're more likely to break off a big run for chunk yards than a big pass downfield. The only real benefit is an incompletion stops the clock, while a run that doesn't get the 1st down keeps the clock running.

My Team
    Montana State

Interesting that we are trailing in early polling... FAKE POLLS!!!

AGS FCS Champion

Catch 22... they're usually getting ahead because they're running the ball well. Montana St, along with most run heavy teams, build leads and maintain leads with the run game. Yeah, your defense needs to get an occasional stop and turnovers can throw a monkey wrench into that but that the point still stands. Whether Albany contains Montana St's ground game just through sheer defensive prowess, because they turn them over, or because their offense jumps out to a lead it all gives them a better chance to win the game.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

First Class FCS Ruler Grizzlies82's Avatar

Montana State is an anomaly. They are a rushing team by choice but also out of necessity. They have 3 or 4 marginal QBs. They will throw the ball about 1/3rd of the time. They CAN occasionally throw a nice deep pass. However none of their QBs can seem to do it consistently. They'll get some passing yards on Albany but probably not too many.

The Bobcat rushing attack is effective and unconventional in nature. Because of injuries and by design they utilize about 10 different running backs. They've had six or seven put in 100 yard games this year. These are some good backs (especially Ifanse).

However, their effectiveness seems to rely on the Bobcat offensive line. When they are "on" they are bulldozers making holes I can run through. When they're not (see Sacramento State, North Dakota, and Texas Tech) their line looks unbelievably porous and bad. I have no idea which one will show up Saturday but stop their run and Albany wins. Tell your coach that is the key.
    What does it matter?

My Team
    Montana State

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlies82 View Post
    Montana State is an anomaly. They are a rushing team by choice but also out of necessity. They have 3 or 4 marginal QBs. They will throw the ball about 1/3rd of the time. They CAN occasionally throw a nice deep pass. However none of their QBs can seem to do it consistently. They'll get some passing yards on Albany but probably not too many.

The Bobcat rushing attack is effective and unconventional in nature. Because of injuries and by design they utilize about 10 different running backs. They've had six or seven put in 100 yard games this year. These are some good backs (especially Ifanse).

However, their effectiveness seems to rely on the Bobcat offensive line. When they are "on" they are bulldozers making holes I can run through. When they're not (see Sacramento State, North Dakota, and Texas Tech) their line looks unbelievably porous and bad. I have no idea which one will show up Saturday but stop their run and Albany wins. Tell your coach that is the key.
    This is why I wish Choate would dial up a few more deep balls off of PA. Virtually NO ONE respects our deep passing game (and with good reason ) but with everyone playing up on defense, a good play action could lead to either blown coverage and a guy streaking wide open or 1-on-1 50-50 balls where 2 outcomes are favorable (big pass play or 15 yard PI), 1 is neutral (incomplete) and 1 is bad, but probably not terrible (INT that amounts to a decent punt assuming no return albeit earlier than the punt would have potentially occurred). If the coverage is there, check it down, QB keeps it, or throw it away.