Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoff Attendance

AGS FCS Champion

Playoff Attendance

Not a great start but that was kind of expected given how difficult it is to draw on Thanksgiving weekend and all the host schools drew less than 10k fans on average in the regular season this year.

Holy Cross/Monmoth: 2,817 (101.6% of Monmouth's regular season average of 2,774)
    CCSU/Albany: 1,660 (39.6% of Albany's regular season average of 4,191)
    Furman/Austin Peay: 3,559 (48.6% of Austin Peay's regular season average of 7,317)
    Illinois St/Southeast Missouri St: 3,274 (72.8% of SEMO's regular season average of 4,498)
    San Diego/UNI: 3,743 (40.6% of UNI's regular season average of 9,213)
    UND/Nicholls: 7,569 (112.4% of Nicholls' regular season average of 6,730)
    Kennesaw St/Wofford: 1,992 (41.7% of Wofford's regular season average of 4,775)
    Villanova/Southeastern Louisiana: 4,173 (59.6% of SLU's regular season average of 7,002)

Nice job by Monmouth and Nicholls to outdraw their regular season averages... that's no easy feat on Thanksgiving weekend.

The average of 3,598 fans comes in 6th out of the last 7 years (since the field expanded to 24 in 2013).

First Round Attendance Averages
    2014: 7,297
    2018: 6,373
    2015: 5,634
    2017: 4,958
    2013: 4,502
    2019: 3,598
    2016: 3,408

Things should pick up next week with JMU, Montana, Montana St, and NDSU all hosting.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Re: Playoff Attendance

I'd bet HC had almost as many fans at Monmouth as the Hawks did.

Those #''s are really plummeting in general though....not good.

Funniest of the not funny TheRevSFA's Avatar
    My Team
    Stephen F. Austin

Nicholls is always the highest attended game during round 1. This isn’t a shock
    Funniest of the not funny since 2018

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sader87 View Post
    I'd bet HC had almost as many fans at Monmouth as the Hawks did.

Those #''s are really plummeting in general though....not good.
    Those numbers are pretty much in line with normal postseason attendance trends in the first round at about 60% of the regular season averages. I think there's a pretty decent chance that this year's playoffs finish 2nd or 3rd over the last 7 when it's all said and done especially if NDSU and JMU hold serve (or Montana or Montana St host in their place).
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

My Team
    Northern Iowa

The Panthers game against San Diego was the lowest attendance playoff game in our history.

My Team
    Austin Peay

So maybe they need to move the playoffs to the weekend after Thanksgiving.

The weather definitely played a factor in the Austin Peay game. It started raining in the early morning, intensified right at game time which caused a late start. Then got delayed again in the 2nd quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherRob82 View Post
    The Panthers game against San Diego was the lowest attendance playoff game in our history.
    Lowest in the Dome and in FCS. The '75 "Mud Bowl" was a D-II playoff game at O.R. Latham - now a parking lot on the west side of Schnidler Hall - had "2500" in attendance, according to the 2019 UNI Football Media Guide.

Fun fact(s) - there was an indoor dirt running track in the bottom (actually, underground, I think) of the west side grandstand of O.R. Latham. It smelled "earthy" down there. Very dark, had to slow down at the end of the straightaways because the corners were more like square than round. Also, there was once a men's dorm located in the east side grandstand called "Stadium Hall." In '46 the president announced that the the mezzanine level on the east side grandstand would be converted to a dorm for 160 men, in large part to accommodate GIs returning from WWII. Finished in '47, it was in use until 1961.

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoPeay View Post
    So maybe they need to move the playoffs to the weekend after Thanksgiving.

The weather definitely played a factor in the Austin Peay game. It started raining in the early morning, intensified right at game time which caused a late start. Then got delayed again in the 2nd quarter.
    That would push the semifinals to in the middle of Xmas break. Probably make things even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Team
    Nicholls State

Remembering the leaner years of regular season games lucky to top 2k, it's nice to see Nicholls drawing well for home playoff games that we never thought would happen.
    RAH RAH WEE KICK EM IN THE KNEE RAH RAH RASS KICK EM IN.....THE OTHER KNEE

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

Things should pick up next week with JMU, Montana, Montana St, and NDSU all hosting.
    Sac State and Weber should have solid showings as well. Weber pulled in nearly 9,000 for their second round game against SEMO last year. Sac State has been over 11,000 and as high as 19,882 for their final three home games this year. Hard to predict SDSU's playoff attendance, especially after only 7500 showed up on a very warm day when they played UNI in 2017. UCA will probably be around 6000.