This comment/complaint isn't new and has been discussed at times in the past when the sensibilities of some fans, players or coaches have complained about another team scoring in "Garbage Time" or "after the games already been decided" comments are tossed out there. There can be any number of variables in this discussion ie. were the starters on either side of the ball still in for either team? Were backups scoring or being scored on? What I find interesting in this whole debate is if you look back in history to as some would say a more civilized time where respect and honor or good sportsmanship was part of sports. We've all heard comments about how the game has changed for some the better and others claim the worse. But look at scores from many years ago when sportsmanship was part of all sports. People didn't make a production out of scoring like many in professional sports do nowadays. Endzone dances and productions, Bat tossing after a homerun ect. Yet you look at many of the scores from games of yesteryear and you see scores routinely where the winning team wins by 50+ points. I doubt very much that the losing teams players, coaches and fans decried "running up the score" I sure don't recall reading anything about it.

Is this trend of decrying "running up the score" part of the society that we live in where "Everyone gets a participation trophy" or is it something else? Many say "Win with class" and others say "if you don't like it then stop the other team from scoring".

This debate popped up again after yesterdays NDSU at Delaware game. Is it poor sportsmanship? Is it part of the game and don't whine about it? Why was it ok all those years ago for scores to be so lopsided? Do you think people complained then as they do now?

Where do you fall in this debate?