Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCon Week #3 Pick 'em and Power Poll

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

SoCon Week #3 Pick 'em and Power Poll

Predictions

- Furman at Va Tech – Va Tech has been fading lately, but they will handle Furman with not too much drama – 44-17
    - Chattanooga at Tennessee – The Vols are 0-2 and ripe for the Mocs…just kidding, they are pissed and will take it out on them – 48-9
    - The Citadel at Ga Tech – Of the 3 FBS games this week, I think the Dogs have the best shot, not a good one, but the best; Ga Tech is still trying to find their new offensive scheme…but then again, the Dogs are still trying to find their legs as well; They had a good O the first game, them a bad outing, but I will point to some hurricane hangover for that, at least a little bit; The Dogs special teams was lights out against Elon (two blocked punts deep in Elon territory and an onsides kick recovery) … all three resulted in TDs for the Dogs, so they know how to fight hard as a team; GaTech knows how to defend against the option, they have been beaten down by Clemson and barely squeaked by a bad South Florida team, they will be hungry; if the Dogs can put it all together, and improve their D a little bit, they have a shot, but I fear GaTech will finally put their new scheme together first – 42-17
    - North Greenville at WCU – The Cats may be reeling if the whole player suspension thing gets worse; I am going to assume it plays itself out and the players involved are disciplined, repentant and playing on Saturday – 41-21
    - Samford at Wofford – Will Samford stick to their air raid or try to run a little more? Will Wofford go full hog option again? Interesting to see what will happen. I am going to go with Wofford as it returns to its old ways including a stout D that "finally" handles Samford… Wofford hasn’t beaten Samford the last 4 times up – 31-28
    - Austin Peay at Mercer – The Peay had Central Arkansas on the ropes only to lose late last week. Mercer has handled them so far, (3-0 the last few years) but the Peay is better…but so is Mercer, Bears win home comfortably – 41-24
    - VMI at ETSU – VMI had lots of close games last year; if this was in Lexington I would pick the Keydets, but on the road…gotta go with the Bucs – 37-28

Week 1 Power Ranking

1. Furman – Looked real good and almost got a scalp
    2. Mercer – Easily handled the Hose
    3. ETSU – did what they were supposed to
    4. The Citadel – Two one score losses to CAA playoff teams; in position to win both, but defense couldn’t get late stops
    5. Chattanooga – Knew their O was still wanting
    6. Wofford – Hope they used their extra week wisely
    7. Samford – I moved them up even though they didn’t play because they just have too much talent to not be taken seriously
    8. VMI – searching hard for that elusive Div I victory; took care of business with the planet school
    9. WCU – about how I expected it
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

SoCon Week 3 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em -2019.

I was 7-0 this past week. Furman and The Citadel had nothing to be ashamed of while a surprise development at WCU put a damper on things. Using the same three groups from last week, here's where I have it:

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER
    Mercer - look at you killing it on the road
    Furman - look at you giving a valiant effort
    Chattanooga - wound up in a bad place vs. Jacksonville State

THEY WERE WHO I THOUGHT THEY WERE
    The Citadel - STILL had nothing to be ashamed of
    East Tennessee State - look at you kicking off your home slate with a beatdown
    VMI - look at you killing it at home as well

WOW, JUST WOW
    Wofford - still in the doghouse from last week
    Western Carolina - could this be the season for them?
    Samford - also still in the doghouse from the last couple of weeks

Week 3 Games
    Furman @ Virginia Tech - Hokies whoop up on the Paladins
    The Citadel @ Georgia Tech - Jackets sting the Bulldogs
    North Greenville @ Western Carolina - Please don't screw this up
    Samford @ Wofford - Bulldogs have all the answers
    Austin Peay @ Mercer - Bears show up and show out
    VMI @ ETSU - Bucs will be too much for the Keydets

Chattanooga @ Tennessee - I never thought I would be writing this. I grew up watching Tennessee football in East Tennessee as a progeny of a Clemson alumnus. The last time I saw Tennessee have that poor of a start was 1988. I never saw Tennessee play that poorly again until 2005. Tennessee had one of those seasons again in 2008 which saw Fulmer get canned a few days before the Wyoming game (Tennessee lost that one, thank you Mike Hamilton). Since then, we have a carousel of coaches until Butch Jones who I thought was the second coming of Robert Neyland but in reality he turned out to be well, I will defer to Jauan Jennings. When the 2017 season ended, Tennessee attempted to hire Greg Schiano (someone the Oregon fanbase did not want a year earlier) which led to John Currie get canned as AD. Fulmer becomes AD who in turn hires Jeremy Pruitt. I was expecting Tennessee to get much better this season but it appears Pruitt has put too much faith in Jarrett Guarantano who is to Tennessee was Skyler Morninwheg was to Florida (who eventually wound up at Columbia where he s*** the bed there). I know Randy Sanders would not have allowed this to happen (see ETSU from last year). UPDATED: Bryce Thompson's return helps key Big Brother to their first win.
    Last edited by BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n; September 11th, 2019 at 09:37 PM.
    Once upon a time, my alma mater was a college football desert in the middle of SEC/SoCon country. But then ETSU leadership brought back football and brought on as head coach:

- Carl Torbush, whose teams were nothing to write home about
    - Randy Sanders, who brought ETSU unprecedented success with two SoCon titles
    - George Quarles, who basically ran the team into the ground AND GOT FIRED! (Bye Felicia!)

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

Re: SoCon Week #3 Pick 'em and Power Poll

I did not see your thread when I did my post.
    Once upon a time, my alma mater was a college football desert in the middle of SEC/SoCon country. But then ETSU leadership brought back football and brought on as head coach:

- George Quarles, who basically ran the team into the ground AND GOT FIRED! (Bye Felicia!)

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n View Post
    I did not see your thread when I did my post.
    I asked Ursus to combine.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

Give me all the home teams.

Except Mercer.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    thanks

I'm no better than you...probably
    My Team
    Montana

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Done.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

I was really impressed by what I saw from Furman Saturday night.

Darren Grainger looks every bit the real deal. I said in the preseason that QB was Furman's big question mark, and after two games, he has answered every question I had about him.

Defense didn't have a great night, but I think that was more to do with the opponent than massive holes on that side of the ball. I imagine they will look a lot better in FCS play. Of course, we don't get that luxury until next week.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Furman

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I was really impressed by what I saw from Furman Saturday night.

Darren Grainger looks every bit the real deal. I said in the preseason that QB was Furman's big question mark, and after two games, he has answered every question I had about him.

Defense didn't have a great night, but I think that was more to do with the opponent than massive holes on that side of the ball. I imagine they will look a lot better in FCS play. Of course, we don't get that luxury until next week.

Do you know why our starting CB Weems did not play? Is he injured?

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Furman

Weems and Maples both didn't play - Cally Chizik played most if not all of the second half for Trapp. So, Furman played most of the game with two freshmen corners.

Looks like we will continue to see the heavy offensive line rotation. The GSU announcers seemed confused by Furman's strategy - basically considering it a negative - not sure based on how productive the O was that's true. Furman's rotating at center, guard and tackle.

Lost in the shuffle of Furman's three- headed running back monster is the play of RSFR fullback Devin Abrams - two game totals - 50 yards rushing 1 td, 52 yards receiving 1 td. I'd love to know his block rating?