Predictions

- Furman at Va Tech – Va Tech has been fading lately, but they will handle Furman with not too much drama – 44-17
- Chattanooga at Tennessee – The Vols are 0-2 and ripe for the Mocs…just kidding, they are pissed and will take it out on them – 48-9
- The Citadel at Ga Tech – Of the 3 FBS games this week, I think the Dogs have the best shot, not a good one, but the best; Ga Tech is still trying to find their new offensive scheme…but then again, the Dogs are still trying to find their legs as well; They had a good O the first game, them a bad outing, but I will point to some hurricane hangover for that, at least a little bit; The Dogs special teams was lights out against Elon (two blocked punts deep in Elon territory and an onsides kick recovery) … all three resulted in TDs for the Dogs, so they know how to fight hard as a team; GaTech knows how to defend against the option, they have been beaten down by Clemson and barely squeaked by a bad South Florida team, they will be hungry; if the Dogs can put it all together, and improve their D a little bit, they have a shot, but I fear GaTech will finally put their new scheme together first – 42-17
- North Greenville at WCU – The Cats may be reeling if the whole player suspension thing gets worse; I am going to assume it plays itself out and the players involved are disciplined, repentant and playing on Saturday – 41-21
- Samford at Wofford – Will Samford stick to their air raid or try to run a little more? Will Wofford go full hog option again? Interesting to see what will happen. I am going to go with Wofford as it returns to its old ways including a stout D that "finally" handles Samford… Wofford hasn’t beaten Samford the last 4 times up – 31-28
- Austin Peay at Mercer – The Peay had Central Arkansas on the ropes only to lose late last week. Mercer has handled them so far, (3-0 the last few years) but the Peay is better…but so is Mercer, Bears win home comfortably – 41-24
- VMI at ETSU – VMI had lots of close games last year; if this was in Lexington I would pick the Keydets, but on the road…gotta go with the Bucs – 37-28

Week 1 Power Ranking

1. Furman – Looked real good and almost got a scalp
2. Mercer – Easily handled the Hose
3. ETSU – did what they were supposed to
4. The Citadel – Two one score losses to CAA playoff teams; in position to win both, but defense couldn’t get late stops
5. Chattanooga – Knew their O was still wanting
6. Wofford – Hope they used their extra week wisely
7. Samford – I moved them up even though they didn’t play because they just have too much talent to not be taken seriously
8. VMI – searching hard for that elusive Div I victory; took care of business with the planet school
9. WCU – about how I expected it