My Team
    Abilene Christian

Athlon Sports: 5 underrated teams heading into the season

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Re: Athlon Sports: 5 underrated teams heading into the season

Ohh no...EKU...
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

My Team
    South Dakota State

Duquesne is not underrated. I’ve watched them play SDSU twice, and that’s not how a top 25 team should look.
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    Duquesne is not underrated. I’ve watched them play SDSU twice, and that’s not how a top 25 team should look.
    Just imagine if preseason Top 15 Towson came calling to Brookings! Duquesne should be solid again. Fringe Top 25 imo...
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    Just imagine if preseason Top 15 Towson came calling to Brookings! Duquesne should be solid again. Fringe Top 25 imo...
    I would love it. I just have a hard time calling a team solid when Misery St has put up more of a fight in the games against good competition. Outside the Towson game (which I hold against Towson, weather be damned) there isn’t much to impress me. After playing Duquesne twice with a combined score of 102-19, consider me more than underwhelmed with the Dukes and AJ Hines.
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Nice

As the 2019 season nears, we’re recognizing more teams that may make us regret leaving them out of the rankings. They may have not been far outside the Top 25, but outside nonetheless.

Here are five teams that give us a sinking feeling:

Abilene Christian
    2018 Records: 6-5, 5-4 Southland
    The Wildcats were picked seventh in the Southland Conference preseason poll. That will be wrong. They have too strong of a team and too good of a head coach (Adam Dorrel, who guided Northwest Missouri State to three Division II national titles) to finish that low. A gaudy 18 starters return from the first winning season in their Division I era. Junior quarterback Luke Anthony passed for more than 3,000 yards a year ago and is surrounded by offensive weapons. Former South Dakota State defensive coordinator Clint Brown should boost a defense that is led by senior middle linebacker Jeremiah Chambers.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Catatonic View Post
    Nice
    ACU really has an issue this year. It happens to teams with tough road games.

North Texas on the road (FBS)
    UCA on the road (lost by 9 last year at home)
    UIW on the road (lost by 10 last year at home)
    Lamar on the road (didn't play)
    NIcholls on the road (Won by 16 at home last year)
    Mississippi State on the road. (FBS)

Going off last year and saying ACU having 18 starters returning, likely the same level of team if not better, then I see three for likely wins (HBU, SFA, and D2 Arizona Christian), 6 losses (North Texas (no idea really), UIW, UCA, Lamar, SHSU, Miss. State), and 3 tossups (McNeese, SLU, Nicholls). Just my opinon not based on anything of substance. Just so many road games plus 2 FBS. It's gonna be tough. However if ACU does finish with a winning record they will have something to be proud about. That means they got an FBS upset, ran the tossups, and won those likely wins. McNeese is kind of a unknown for all SLC teams. Even for their fans. Good luck Cats. Just so many road games. UCA fans understand that problem this year too.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    ACU really has an issue this year. It happens to teams with tough road games.

North Texas on the road (FBS)
    UCA on the road (lost by 9 last year at home)
    UIW on the road (lost by 10 last year at home)
    Lamar on the road (didn't play)
    NIcholls on the road (Won by 16 at home last year)
    Mississippi State on the road. (FBS)

Going off last year and saying ACU having 18 starters returning, likely the same level of team if not better, then I see three for likely wins (HBU, SFA, and D2 Arizona Christian), 6 losses (North Texas (no idea really), UIW, UCA, Lamar, SHSU, Miss. State), and 3 tossups (McNeese, SLU, Nicholls). Just my opinon not based on anything of substance. Just so many road games plus 2 FBS. It's gonna be tough. However if ACU does finish with a winning record they will have something to be proud about. That means they got an FBS upset, ran the tossups, and won those likely wins. McNeese is kind of a unknown for all SLC teams. Even for their fans. Good luck Cats. Just so many road games. UCA fans understand that problem this year too.
    edit ... Just checked ... according to keepratings, ACU has 5.1 off starters returning and 8.2 def starters .. so 13.3 returning starters. Looks like their OL was hit hardest with just 2 returning starters. Not sure how Hakey gets to 18 returnees ... maybe counting part time starters who toook over positions later in year ?? Or just relying on something ACU released to press.

AGS FCS Champion

OL..... it starts in the trenches for any offense. Lacking in that and it will be a tough year especially on the road against the conference's top teams. But anything is possible.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

What I like about this is he actually looked at their rosters returning, their schedule, what happened in recent past, and made a reasonable case for each ... very much UNLIKE the majority of his pollsters from his STATS polls. So while Craig Haley of STATS is forced to do things that get his site more clicks, I tend to think articles like this are very worthwhile ... and he at least puts his name on it, so we'll see how many of these he gets right.

That said:

- EKU I can believe might finally re-emerge this season
    - ACU is bit more of stretch, but I can see it because Southland is not real strong at top. On other hand, their 4 of their 5 toughest conf games are on road in 2019.
    - Yale sounds believable, but not sure that even makes them top 25, plus they won't do playoffs .. so who cares. Ivy will probably be down this year compared to peak year in 2018, so Yale could emerge simply because of that and staying healthy.
    - TSU was a very weak 7-3 a year ago .. they barely beat several bad teams. They lost by 56 to a 5-7 Tennessee team. Had just one impressive win over 6-4 Furman (bubble team), beat 3-8 WCU by 2, 1-10 VMI by 3, and had just 2 games against playoff teams, lost both ... which I guess was enough for the selection committee. We'll see if they have enough around their FBS transfer QB.
    - Duquense ... would normally have doubted a team like Duquense could be legit finally, but with so many returning SR starters and a 21 pt playoff win last year over 7-4 Towson, followed by a 51-6 drubbing st SDSU ... hard to say, but I can see them piling up wins again. Slightly tougher OOC against YSU and UNH this year, both coming off bad years, but no FBS and also play D-II Walsh and FCS patsy Long Island. So they only play 10 D-I games in a year most teams will play 12. They could go 8-2, get the autobid, and not even be a worthy top 25 team ... I believe no one on their schedule was ranked or in playoffs last year.