Years ago, I remember reading an SI article about the most "deadly" plays in the NFL (admittedly, "deadly" might not have been the right word, but it was something like it). The idea being that some of the league's offenses could run a play (or a series of similar plays) that defense just had a really hard time stopping.

I'm not talking about running a double-reverse pass on the first play from scrimmage against an overmatched team. I'm talking about a play that is a staple of the offense that the defense knows is coming and can't do anything to stop.

The #1 example at the time was Denver's zone run by Terrell Davis. Denver (in the days of the "Mile High Salute") would have their entire offensive line block one direction, Davis would run, put his foot in the ground and gain chunks of yards nearly every time. Every defense they played knew it was coming and couldn't stop it.

I'd be interested to know whether there are such plays (or series of plays) that FCS teams run that defenses just struggle to defend. Admittedly, this may be less of a "system" question and more of a "personnel" question. If you've got video, let's see it. My criteria:

1. A staple of the offense. That is, not a trick or gimmick play brought out once or twice a season. A team may not run the play 15 times a game, but it is a play the defense knows is coming, is prepared to defend, and can't.
2. It's gotta routinely gain something. Your team may run a half-back power for 2.5 yards per carry a dozen times. I want to see plays that at least routinely pick up 5-7 yards against a defense prepared to defend it.
3. It can be based on personnel, not offensive philosophy. Some plays work because of the beast who is running them, not because of any x's and o's. The play may change from year to year based on this (i.e., a fullback trap is a lot more dangerous with Eric Britenstein or Jerome Felton in the backfield not because of the play design)

I think this will be some interesting preseason discussion.