Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: AGS Poll Perfection List - A Guide, & Tip of the Cap

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    South Dakota State

Re: AGS Poll Perfection List - A Guide, & Tip of the Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore62 View Post
    Ive always been afraid to get in the poll because outside the MVFC and the standard top teams, my knowledge starts to get weak. Nice work everyone on the lists.
    I was definitely the same way. What I did was an attempt a way to help me out across the board by by building an excel spreadsheet to construct a "power point" system. It is based on a much of differing factors (opponent record, opponent ranking, point spread, etc.). I then used this to assist in my rankings. It is definitely not a perfect system, as it takes several weeks to get a clearer picture, but it is a tool I use. I did my own poll for several years before becoming a regular voter. I would compare my poll with the AGS, Coaches, and STATS polls weekly to see how I was doing. After doing this for several years, I thought I was confident enough to become a regular voter. If you wanted to become a voter, I would recommend something like this as I was in your same shoes.

If anyone wants to see the spreadsheet, let me know and I can email you a copy of it.

The Nickelback of AGS

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    By the way, if you have a "poll perfection" badge and no "AGS DONOR" badge to accompany it, you are a free-rider. Just sayin'.
    Word
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”– Thomas Jefferson

On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    My Team
    Lehigh

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore62 View Post
    Ive always been afraid to get in the poll because outside the MVFC and the standard top teams, my knowledge starts to get weak. Nice work everyone on the lists.
    Most of us are in the same boat. Once you get into AGS it's fun to do some 'research' on the schools and conferences that are unfamiliar, but more so, you learn to respect the opinions of others on the Board who have experience watching teams you don't have the luxury of seeing or following. I trust a number of the guys on here as to what they see and report, especially for those out in the Midwest and far West. I've been hangin' around here for about 15 years and it has been very therapeutic !
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

The Imagine Dragons of AGS
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    By the way, if you have a "poll perfection" badge and no "AGS DONOR" badge to accompany it, you are a free-rider. Just sayin'.
    Preach
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

"There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right" - Alexandria 'Sandy' Ocasio-Cortez, the new queen of the left.

AKA Lord Kingpin

I tried this one year but quit after being accused of being a Valley homer. It ended up being the year NDSU played Ill State for the title.
    "You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

I'm no better than you...probably
    My Team
    Montana

Quote Originally Posted by skinny_uncle View Post
    I tried this one year but quit after being accused of being a Valley homer. It ended up being the year NDSU played Ill State for the title.
    I normally keep these things private but if you want to bring out the cudgel please allow me to retort.

You were one of the people that are too sensitive to be questioned on a ballot and in that case it is just fine to not have you involved. I have the emails and you were questioned on having nearly the whole conference in the T15 midway through the season.

You were the reason I use a qualifier every time I explain that there is "not much if any" homerism when people bring up the topic...you are one of the few that truly were a homer for a conference and you did it consistently.

You did not stop voting after being questioned you continued on and at the end of the season I was just fine with you bowing out at that point. Thank you for that.

Nobody questioned your having those two teams highly ranked and even #1 & #2 as they were both clearly at that level that year so don't try and use that as some "proof" of you being correct...almost all of the voters had those two fairly highly ranked since both were T10 at the time. Your point doesn't hold up as we all were doing that part of it.

But the rest, you were alone on. Here was your ballot when you were questioned. I stopped there because you nearly ran out of MVFC teams at that point. South Dakota was the only team you left out at 2-4.

October 19, 2014

1: North Dakota State Bison
    2: Illinois State Redbirds
    3: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
    4: Villanova Wildcats
    5: Eastern Washington Eagles
    6: New Hampshire Wildcats
    7: Youngstown State Penguins
    8: Southern Illinois Salukis
    9: Indiana State Sycamores
    10: Missouri State Bears
    11: Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
    12: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
    13: Northern Iowa Panthers
    14: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
    15: Western Illinois Leathernecks

Here is the How They Fared from said week:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...NHU/edit#gid=0

This had been an ongoing thing with skinny for the season and as it got later in the season I got in touch with him over his very slanted ballots. This was an email sent on the above ballot that season. It was much more pointed than a normal question would be due to the fact that is truly appeared wierd to jump SDSU up like this after a 45-10 loss the week prior even if it was to his #2.

Quote Originally Posted by AGSPoll
    Hey, your votes are by far the most homeristic in our poll. I've not said much thus far because I do believe the MVFC teams are very good and as such most of your overly high ranked picks are at least arguable.

The fact that this week you jumped SDSU up to #3 so you could keep MVFC teams in the top 3 spots is fairly telling of what you are attempting to do here. I will put your ballot before the poll committee but I'd sure appreciate if you'd take a look at things outside your region and stop trying to skew the results of this poll toward your conference. Your own conference mates value your conference but they don't do anything like you are doing here. Your SDSU move up is now about 10 spots higher than the rest on average.
    I gave the opportunity to rethink it and cast a new ballot after informing that the poll committee determined his vote be too far out of line to accept that week.

So, you serve as a good warning to all new voters. If you do things like this then you will be challenged. Homer votes are not gonna cut it.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

^^^^^Ursus: "You were one of the people that are too sensitive to be questioned on a ballot and in that case it is just fine to not have you involved. I have the emails and you were questioned on having nearly the whole conference in the T15 midway through the season"

LMFAO.
    Poster formerly named:
    Sioux

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by ursus arctos horribilis View Post
    I normally keep these things private but if you want to bring out the cudgel please allow me to retort.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

I'm no better than you...probably
    My Team
    Montana

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    I was hoping that drift would be caught.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

Major FCS Ruler

Hmmmmmm a mouth full has been said.........
    "Spiders”