Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Athlon's Top 10 FCS QBs For 2019

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FCS Master

My Team
    Western Carolina

Re: Athlon's Top 10 FCS QBs For 2019

What a terrible article... Let me save you the click...

10. Noah Johnson, Alcorn State
    9. Ryan Boyle, Indiana State
    8. Chase Fourcade, Nicholls
    7. Caylin Newton, Howard
    6. Case Cookus, Northern Arizona
    5. Eric Barriere, Eastern Washington
    4. Zerrick Cooper, Jacksonville State
    3. Tyrie Adams, Western Carolina
    2. Tom Flacco, Towson
    1. Jake Maier, UC Davis

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    What a terrible article... Let me save you the click...
    Seems like a so so year for FCS QBs. Top 6 make a lot of obvious sense escept I don't get Adams at 3. Cooper and Cookus sure look the part. Very curious to see if Barriiere continues to develop and Cookus bounces back from injury. Then 7 thru 10 aren't going to cause too many DCs to lose any sleep .. Newton has no business being on list (51%, 22/17 TD/Pick ratio)... weak stats in bad conference.

ISUb Boyle is tough ... reminded me of the the Chandler Burkes guy from KSU ... good game manager, good dual threat, but better runner than thrower. I would have taken Boyle over Burkes ... someone was way over-hyping Burkes big time last year. We pretty much contained Boyle when we played them .. but we still managed to lose game on road where we outgained them 480 to 280 .. this probably cost us playoff bid.

ISUr Davis could crack this top 10 easily this year, but I don't see him in top 5 or 6 at this point .. but we shall see .. he's got some proving to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird 4th & short View Post
    Seems like a so so year for FCS QBs. Top 6 make a lot of obvious sense escept I don't get Adams at 3. Cooper and Cookus sure look the part. Very curious to see if Barriiere continues to develop and Cookus bounces back from injury. Then 7 thru 10 aren't going to cause too many DCs to lose any sleep .. Newton has no business being on list (51%, 22/17 TD/Pick ratio)... weak stats in bad conference.

ISUb Boyle is tough ... reminded me of the the Chandler Burkes guy from KSU ... good game manager, good dual threat, but better runner than thrower. I would have taken Boyle over Burkes ... someone was way over-hyping Burkes big time last year. We pretty much contained Boyle when we played them .. but we still managed to lose game on road where we outgained them 480 to 280 .. this probably cost us playoff bid.

ISUr Davis could crack this top 10 easily this year, but I don't see him in top 5 or 6 at this point .. but we shall see .. he's got some proving to do.
    My opinion on Adams - the dude is a freak.

Averaged 311 yards per game last year. Threw for nearly 2,500 yards and rushed for over 1,000. He led the SoCon in rushing as a daggum QB - in a league that was stocked with good running teams. The only player that outpaced Adams in terms of total offense in the SoCon was Devlin Hodges, who won the Payton Award. I'm not sure how many QBs nationally were putting up those sorts of numbers last season, but I bet it wasn't many.

Adams' biggest negative is he plays on a crappy team. WCU plays virtually zero defense (surrendering nearly 41 ppg) and his offensive line is one of the league's weaker units. He is basically a one-man show out there.

Personally, I think that if WCU could ever get that man some help and not ask him to win every game by his lonesome, he'd be a Payton Finalist. There's not a throw he can't make.

This doesn't even include his junior season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXFE1N4o6E
    Last edited by PaladinFan; May 15th, 2019 at 12:02 PM.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post

Averaged 311 yards per game last year. Threw for nearly 2,500 yards and rushed for over 1,000. He led the SoCon in rushing as a daggum QB - in a league that was stocked with good running teams. The only player that outpaced Adams in terms of total offense in the SoCon was Devlin Hodges, who won the Payton Award. I'm not sure how many QBs nationally were putting up those sorts of numbers last season, but I bet it wasn't many.

Adams' biggest negative is he plays on a crappy team. WCU plays virtually zero defense (surrendering nearly 41 ppg) and his offensive line is one of the league's weaker units. He is basically a one-man show out there.

Personally, I think that if WCU could ever get that man some help and not ask him to win every game by his lonesome, he'd be a Payton Finalist. There's not a throw he can't make.

This doesn't even include his junior season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXFE1N4o6E
    thanks for insights .. I'll watch him closer this year.

thanks for insights .. I'll watch him closer this year.
    Looked at the total FCS stats - Tyrie Adams finished 8th nationally in total offense last season. He'll be one of the top 5 returning players in the country in that category this season.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

My Team
    Furman

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post

this is spot on. You don't hear about the kid because his team stinks. He almost single-handedly beat my Furman guys. We won like 45-40. He's a ridiculous athlete who might make NFL at some position. he absolutely belongs on top 10 list. without him WCU isn't in a game

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Furman

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    this is spot on. You don't hear about the kid because his team stinks. He almost single-handedly beat my Furman guys. We won like 45-40. He's a ridiculous athlete who might make NFL at some position. he absolutely belongs on top 10 list. without him WCU isn't in a game
    Armanti Edwards without the supporting cast.

My Team
    Indiana State

Him transferring in won us 4-6 games. He is a solid QB for us but every time he picks up a first down and tries to get 8 more yards I get sick to my stomach nervous.

My Team
    Elon

Caylin Newton is too highly rated, IMO. Barriere should be above Cooper, whose numbers are inflated by a stellar receiving corps. I will admit that I haven't even heard of Tyrie Adams, but I look forward to keeping an eye on him. Top 2 are spot on, IMO. I look forward to seeing Davis Cheek on these lists later this year when he comes back from injury. He could give Tom Flacco a run for his money on best QB in the CAA. Last season looked so promising before he got hurt