Page 48 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCon 2019 Off-Season

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Furman

Re: SoCon 2019 Off-Season

Not that it matters but 247 SoCon Composite keeps excluding Devonte Jones from Furman's class.
    So I guess that gives Furman 5 two star players ranked by 247.
    https://247sports.com/player/devonte-jones-46056461/

Anyways —
    I agree with SUDOG I love to see the guys and they're stories that sign but don't list on NSD.
    Furman appears to bringing in between 8-10 PWO's, Partial Athletic, Partial Academic players in 2019.
    One name that came out of nowhere but worth keeping an eye is safety Hugh Ryan of Dutch Fork HS.
    Dutch Fork I believe has won three straight South Carolina 5A championships.

Ryan was supposed to be the Shrine Bowl backup for the SC trio of defensive backs that signed with, SC, Kentucky, and Georgia.
    Ryan ended up being the starter - led South Carolina with nine tackles, one sack, one and a half tackles for loss.

Ryan chose the DINS over Wofford and a full offer from CSU.
    Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/high...#storylink=cpy

I think it is notable that Furman did not take a QB this recruiting class. They have some PWO types, but were not really active in recruiting that position.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but that signals two things to me. First, Furman's coaches feel comfortable with what they have with their freshmen QBs. It also signals a change from most coaching staffs, which have opted to take a QB in every class. That avoids a backlog at the position and allows Furman to develop depth and not have to turn the reigns over to a freshman or redshirt senior, which has pretty much been the case during every transition the last ten years or so.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Furman

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I think it is notable that Furman did not take a QB this recruiting class. They have some PWO types, but were not really active in recruiting that position.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but that signals two things to me. First, Furman's coaches feel comfortable with what they have with their freshmen QBs. It also signals a change from most coaching staffs, which have opted to take a QB in every class. That avoids a backlog at the position and allows Furman to develop depth and not have to turn the reigns over to a freshman or redshirt senior, which has pretty much been the case during every transition the last ten years or so.
    I heard the coaches only put two firm offers out in 2019 for QB, both chose Army. 2020 is not going to be the case Furman has cast a wide net for QB for next season. It also appears Furman has expanded it's recruiting outside of SC, SC, GA, FL, TN. Signing two players from Texas doesn't appear to be an outlier. A 2020 class Texas QB has already made an unofficial visit.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post

Wofford didn't go after QB's either. It avoids a situation where you have too many QB's - a major problem for the Terriers 4-5 years ago when we played QB by committee with little success, but does put you at risk of burning redshirts like we did in 2016 when we lost our top 2 QB's very early (although under the new rules, Joe Newman would not have lost a year). I personally think option teams should bring in a QB every year. Since few high schools run the option, there is often a learning curve bring QB's up to speed.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

You’re all wrong. Here’s the way to manage your QB roster, if you want to have a Payton Award winning QB.

1) QUARTERBACK
    6'3" 195 LBS 2 HUNTER HOWELL - FRESHMAN
    2) QUARTERBACK 6'3" 184 LBS 4 GRAYSON EDGEMON - FRESHMAN
    3) QUARTERBACK 6'2" 188 LBS 7 LIAM WELCH - SOPHOMORE
    4) QUARTERBACK 6'1" 210 LBS 8 DEVLIN HODGES - SENIOR (Departing...HOORAY!!!!!!!)
    5) QUARTERBACK 6'3" 179 LBS 10 COOPER CROSS - SOPHOMORE
    6) QUARTERBACK 5'10" 178 LBS 11 WILL HUDSON - FRESHMAN
    7) QUARTERBACK 6'0" 200 LBS 12 CARSON CROY - FRESHMAN
    8) QUARTERBACK 6'2" 190 LBS 15 JES SUTHERLAND - JUNIOR
    9) QUARTERBACK 5'6" 148 LBS 18 TY HATCHER - FRESHMAN
    10) QUARTERBACK 6'2" 223 LBS 26 CALEB CLARK - FRESHMAN
    11)QUARTERBACK
    5’10” 180 LBS - CADE BLACKMON - FRESHMAN (Signee)
    12) QUARTERBACK
    6’2” 184 LBS - CHRIS OLADOKUN - JUNIOR (Transfer)

Last edited by FUBeAR; February 11th, 2019 at 03:37 PM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

First Class FCS Ruler Catamount87's Avatar
    My Team
    Western Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    247 Sports Composite 2019 FCS Recruiting Class Rankings - Top Ten & SoCon

D1 Rank FCS Rank SoCon Rank Team Total Commits 3-stars Avg Points
    115 1 Portland St 24 10 79.36 131.56
    125 2 Harvard 14 10 81.06 121.09
    130 3 Yale 15 9 80.18 115.75
    132 4 SF Austin 13 9 80.74 113.59
    133 5 Princeton 13 9 80.82 113.55
    136 6 Cent. Ark. 16 5 78.44 99.46
    137 7 Idaho 15 4 78.60 97.31
    138 8 E Wash. U. 14 4 78.70 94.76
    139 9 1 Mercer 13 5 78.81 92.53
    140 10 UC Davis 10 6 80.29 90.42
    151 20 2 WCU 6 4 81.42 65.38
    171 38 3 Chattanooga 4 1 78.88 34.93
    173 40 4 Furman 4 0 78.85 34.69
    183 50 5 Wofford 5 0 76.32 30.95
    207 69 6 Samford 2 1 79.48 18.90
    211 72 7 ETSU 2 0 78.72 17.39
    212 73 8 The Citadel 2 0 78.71 17.36
    n/a n/a 9 VMI n/a n/a n/a n/a

Just noticed WCU has the highest AVG Rating of ‘listed’ commits of all of the Teams on this list; so it is most likely the highest in FCS (I’ll check and see...). If I were affiliated with the Catamounts, I think I’d be trumpeting something about being #1 in FCS Recruiting. Maybe they are...dunno. Again, nice job by WCU; looking forward to seeing Mr. McQueen run thru the SoCon in 2019 like poop thru a tin horn!

Oops...false alarm...just checked...Monmouth (88.00), Northern Iowa (82.91), Southern U. (82.65), NC Central (82.53), Stony Brook (82.19), Richmond (81.91), Texas Southern (81.66), Penn (81.65), Bethune-Cookman (81.54), and Sam Houston State (81.48) all have higher AVG’s than WCU...so WCU is #11...oh well, FUBeAR tried...

Hold on...just looked at the 6 WCU commits. McQueen is only the 3rd highest rated one on the list. #1 rated is a CB, who spurned P5 offers from Ole Miss, Syracuse, and Kansas State to sign with WCU. Welp...there goes half the field for SoCon Offenses trying to throw on WCU next year. #2 rated on the list is a big OT from GA, who only has FCS offers (10 others). Seems like a high rating for a Player with 0 FBS (P5 or G5) offers, but it is what it is...so, he sure should be mashing SoCon DLmen in 2019 & the years ahead.

Quite a haul for WCU...beating out SEC, ACC, and Big12 schools for Players. C’mon Cats Fans...spill it...what did WCU do right in Recruiting this year?

FUBeAR, do you have a link to that list?

Well I'm one Catamount that has learned over the years to approach recruiting class rankings with a bit of skepticism. We've seen classes that were "ranked" high nationally before only to watch those same classes fail (and fail BIG) on the field. Good grief that idiot Wagner we had as a coach had several top 5 ranked FCS recruiting classes that all ultimately sucked beyond on the field.

So, what do I think? Well 23 total commits is a good number. 13 on defense and 10 on offense sounds like stocking the cupboard a bit. Many were multi-sport stars in HS which sounds like we're getting more overall athletic too. That said, let's hope those 13 on defense aren't pressed into playing heavily before they're really ready for 1st or 2nd string duty. Last year's class was and it wasn't pretty. Hopefully, those young men will have the experience this year to be a lot better overall.

While were on the subject of defense, only 3 DL commits that average 6-3, 245 and 3 LBs that average about the same. This doesn't inspire confidence with fans in our ability to stop the run. Especially given the size of OLs in the SoCon and FCS nowadays. Which brings us to that, 5 OL averaging 6-3 and 300#s. This might be the biggest OL class we've had in a good long time. Interestingly, one played both OL and DL in HS which could come in handy at some point.

Lastly, skill positions. We've gotten away from big WRs, 3 in this class averaging 5-11 170. Only 1 RB, 6-1, 185 maybe he'll be good as a WR too. One QB, 6-4, 200# that was an ECU commit that flipped to us, was a track star in HS too. Interestingly, many of the 5 DBs we got also were WRs in HS. They're averaging 6-2, 185 so I wouldn't be surprised if we see one or two end up being WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    Wofford didn't go after QB's either. It avoids a situation where you have too many QB's - a major problem for the Terriers 4-5 years ago when we played QB by committee with little success, but does put you at risk of burning redshirts like we did in 2016 when we lost our top 2 QB's very early (although under the new rules, Joe Newman would not have lost a year). I personally think option teams should bring in a QB every year. Since few high schools run the option, there is often a learning curve bring QB's up to speed.
    I think a glut of QBs causes a problem that has shown up a few ways with Furman.

First, Furman has occasionally had a backlog. Furman took both PJ Blazejowski and Harris Roberts in the same recruiting class, for instance. That was a year after taking Dillon Woodruff (who would eventually play linebacker) and two years after Reese Hannon (who lost a year to injury). Hannon played most of his four years, leaving Blazejowski to start as a senior full time and then Roberts as a 5th year senior the next year. Furman will begin 2019 with its fourth straight different starting QB in four years.

I think Furman wants to get back to a spot where there is more space in that position. Ideally, it would have been nice to have Hannon turn the reigns over to Blazejowski in his junior season, who then would turn it over to Roberts in his junior season.

Let those guys spend a few years in the program, get used to the offense, and then spend two years as the starter.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    You’re all wrong. Here’s the way to manage your QB roster, if you want to have a Payton Award winning QB.

1) QUARTERBACK
    6'3" 195 LBS 2 HUNTER HOWELL - FRESHMAN
    2) QUARTERBACK 6'3" 184 LBS 4 GRAYSON EDGEMON - FRESHMAN
    3) QUARTERBACK 6'2" 188 LBS 7 LIAM WELCH - SOPHOMORE
    4) QUARTERBACK 6'1" 210 LBS 8 DEVLIN HODGES - SENIOR
    5) QUARTERBACK 6'3" 179 LBS 10 COOPER CROSS - SOPHOMORE
    6) QUARTERBACK 5'10" 178 LBS 11 WILL HUDSON - FRESHMAN
    7) QUARTERBACK 6'0" 200 LBS 12 CARSON CROY - FRESHMAN
    8) QUARTERBACK 6'2" 190 LBS 15 JES SUTHERLAND - JUNIOR
    9) QUARTERBACK 5'6" 148 LBS 18 TY HATCHER - FRESHMAN
    10) QUARTERBACK 6'2" 223 LBS 26 CALEB CLARK - FRESHMAN
    11) QUARTERBACK 5’10” 180 LBS -
    CADE BLACKMON - FRESHMAN (Signeee)
    12) QUARTERBACK 6’2” 184 LBS - CHRIS OLADOKUN - JUNIOR (Transfer)

If you recruit enough QB's, you're bound to get a good one every now and then. 6 Freshmen QB's does seem a little excessive. I hope those guy have other skills.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Hope I'm not using too much of HERO's work in this post, but I did sort them in a way that they didn't and I filtered their 300 down to the SoCon's 34 ranked Players + the 6 others they listed in the separate list of the Top 40 SoCon signees and ranked them by position....FUBeAR's finds it interesting...

HERO Sports Ranked SoCon Recruits by Position Ranking...

FCS
    Rank
    SoCon
    Rank
    SoCon
    Pos
    Rank
    Team Pos Player Hometown Other D-1 Options
    236 24 1 WCU QB Malik Richardson Sumter, SC East Carolina decommit, 9 offers
    265 29 2 ETSU QB Tyler Riddell Tampa, FL UCF, FAU, Akron Decommit
    275 32 3 ETSU QB Treyvion Houston Greer, SC 2 FBS, 10 total offers
    286 33 4 Mercer QB Dylan Fromm Warner Robins, GA South Alabama, Penn, SEMO, Chatt.
    n/a 38 5 Chattanooga QB Gio Richardson Palm Beach Gardens, FL FAU decommit

FCS
    Rank
    SoCon
    Rank
    SoCon
    Pos
    Rank
    31 4 1 WCU RB Syheam McQueen Laurinburg, NC N.C. State, South Carolina, UNC
    n/a 39 2 Mercer RB Brandon Marshall Jacksonville, FL Charlotte, NDSU, 7 offers

FCS
    Rank
    SoCon
    Rank
    SoCon
    Pos
    Rank
    78 8 1 Samford WR A.J. Toney Birmingham, AL 6 FBS offers, 25 total
    110 12 2 ETSU WR Devontez Walker Charlotte, NC ECU decommit, West Virginia, 6 total
    212 21 3 WCU WR Kasimir Absolu Jacksonville, FL 6 FBS offers
    237 25 4 Wofford WR Calvin Jackson Chattanooga, TN App State - 12 total offers
    242 27 5 Wofford WR John Harrington Katy, TX Yale decommit, 3 FBS offers, 7 total
    n/a 36 6 Mercer WR Yahsyn McKee Stockbridge, GA Hawaii, 3 FCS offers

FCS
    Rank
    SoCon
    Rank
    SoCon
    Pos
    Rank
    161 16 1 Samford TE Michael Vice Vestavia Hills, AL 3 FBS offers, 10 total

FCS
    Rank
    SoCon
    Rank
    SoCon
    Pos
    Rank
    51 5 1 Furman OL Evan Jumper Myrtle Beach, SC Rutgers, 12 FBS, 20 total offers
    153 14 2 Chattanooga OL Brock Bethea Pinson, AL 2 FBS, 14 offers
    186 19 3 Mercer OL John Thomas Marietta, GA 3 FBS, 10 total
    240 26 4 Furman OL Pearson Toomey Jacksonville, FL 4 FBS, 7 total offers
    254 28 5 WCU OL Zach Hayes Jonesboro, GA Texas State, 10 FCS offers
    267 30 6 ETSU OL Blake Austin Johnson City, TN Coastal Carolina decommit, 12 offers

FCS
    Rank
    SoCon
    Rank
    SoCon
    Pos
    Rank
    7 2 1 Mercer DL Richard Benton Atlanta, GA 17 FBS offers, 34 total offers
    25 3 2 WCU DL Christian Harris Chattanooga, TN 8 FBS offers, 31 total
    53 7 3 Samford DL Nick Jackon Winter Park, FL Duke, 4 FBS, 17 total offers
    80 9 4 Furman DL Jack Barton Roswell, GA 8 FBS offers, 22 offers
    113 13 5 Wofford DL Eric Mizell Alabaster, AL Troy, Navy, 18 total offers156
    156 15 6 Furman DL Devonte Jones Anderson, SC 4 FBS, 11 offers
    269 31 7 The Citadel DL Dewey Greene Columbia, SC Troy, Air Force, 8 total offers

FCS
    Rank
    SoCon
    Rank
    SoCon
    Pos
    Rank
    5 1 1 ETSU LB Deven Brantley Riverdale, GA 6 P5s, 19 FBS offers
    94 10 2 Samford LB Trimarkus Cheeks Hampton, GA Pittsburgh, 4 FBS offers, 9 total
    106 11 3 Furman LB Joshua Agbenou Winder, GA 6 FBS offers, 14 total
    210 20 4 The Citadel LB Hasan Black Wyoming, OH 3 FBS, 8 total
    215 22 5 Furman LB Bryce McCormick Nashville, TN 15 FCS offers
    298 34 6 ETSU LB Diandre Davis Charlotte, NC Marshall, Ga State, 6 FCS offers

FCS
    Rank
    SoCon
    Rank
    SoCon
    Pos
    Rank
    52 6 1 WCU DB Neil Ilenrey Alpharetta, GA 3 P5s, 7 FBS offers, 13 total
    184 17 2 Chattanooga DB Kameron Brown Theodore, AL Southern Miss, 4 FBS, 6 total
    185 18 3 Furman DB Austin Jones Tiger, GA 2 FBS offers, 12 total offers
    230 23 4 Mercer DB Lance Wise Powder Springs, GA 3 FBS, 5 total
    n/a 35 5 Furman DB Kam Brinson Augusta, GA Umass, Navy, VMI, CSU
    n/a 37 6 Mercer DB Joel Girtman Atlanta, GA Wofford decommit, FAU, 4 total offers
    n/a 40 7 WCU DB Jabril Muhammad Clearwater, FL GA. State, FIU, NDSU
    Last edited by FUBeAR; February 11th, 2019 at 04:51 PM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

FCS Master

Not counting our coach's son who I think is a Faculty-child situation, I find that in the last 5 years Samford has signed ONLY 3 QBs, and two of those were this year. FUBeAR's list includes young Hatcher, the graduating Hodges, and the two 2019 guys. Some of these other QBs were used on special teams, such as holders, while others were used for signaling plays and sidelines communication. We obviously have(or maybe keep) more walk-ons than many teams do, and the QBs seem to stay even when not playing. Some will probably not return, but we shall see. Not really as strange as portrayed, IMO.