Page 1 of 105 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCon 2019 Off-Season

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

SoCon 2019 Off-Season

Don’t really have anything to say (so pretty much the same as my other 3,096 posts here), but now that Woffy and ETSU have concluded a markedly forgettable 2018 OOC season for the SoCon, I thought we should start talking about 2019.

By the way, despite the horrid OOC results in 2018, with Woffy’s win over a ‘mortally wounded’ Elon being the best...and maybe the only ‘good’ SoCon OOC win, I really don’t think the SoCon was down this year. But it sure does appear that way.

For example, if Furman plays Elon, Mercer plays Yale, Samford plays KSU, and CIT plays Towson at different points in their seasons, I think all of those were very winnable games. Also, Woffy’s game with Wyoming, Samford’s with FSU, ETSU’s with JaxSt, and Woffy’s with KSU were close, winnable games. We’ll never know about Furman’s game with Colgate, but, based on prior results, we sure can’t put that game in the ‘non-winnable’ category.

Win those 9 OOC games and we’re talking about how strong the SoCon was this year and we have as many as 2 or 3 more Teams in the Playoffs. So, it’s not like the distance is far, but it’s a distance that must be traveled if the SoCon is going to be thought of in the the same light as the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky. If not, the questions about whether the SoCon is even as good as the Southland and/or the OVC will persist...and be valid.

So, let’s use this thread to share all of the GREAT things your favorite Team is doing in the off season to make 2019 a better year for them, and thus, a better year for the SoCon as a whole.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

Re: SoCon 2019 Off-Season

Conklin is recruiting really well, from what I can tell. We have at least 17 verbal commitments. Those usually start filing in around this time, but many were committed in like October.

I also think Elon wasn't as bad as people said they were when Wofford beat them. Their QB was good, better than the one who played us, but he wasn't statistically elite. Their second running back who they had coming in was averaging 7 ypc before we shut them down.

Socon will be fine.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

It was a weird season. Throw in the Hurricane and it messed with everyone. I am not worried about our not so great OOC this year. Fans comparing conferences is a silly benchmark. Yeah, we lost some we could have won, but we are doing ok. Don't forget, my Bulldogs added a late OOC win. As bright spots, even without FBS wins, Wofford almost beating Wyoming was still ok. Should have won, but was competitive. Samford almost beating FSU, even if they were slightly down, was good publicity. The Citadel hanging with Alabama for a half was good publicity as well, even if they pulled away.

Next year, the SOCON should do alright. Many of our teams were pretty young this year. That should bode well next year.

I know we have Towson, Elon and CSU for a fairly good OOC slate. All three of those are winnable for us. Outside shot at GaTech considering their coaching transition.

Parity seems to be the nature of the SOCON lately. No team, even Wofford, has distanced themselves. Any team, except maybe VMI and WCU had what it took to gain a championship this year had a ball, or two, bounced their way. 50% of all conf games (18) were decided by 1 score or less. That is a lot. 11 more decided by 2 scores. Only 7 games were decided by 3 or more scores. Wow.

We are getting artificial turf next year. Don't know if that is a bonus or not. New visitors side not due until 2020 now I think. We already have a hot commit as well. I think he committed after he saw the second half against Samford. That was an epic comeback.

One thing I did not account for was how many we will probably lose who have a year of eligibility remaining. A lot of our players get ahead with summer school and easily graduate on time in 4 years. Heck I think we might have one graduating early. The coaches do a good job keeping everyone on the correct path. That said, we will probably lose quit a few more than initially anticipated due to graduation unless we can get some to come back and start their masters. Overall, a good problem to have if you ask me.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

My Team
    Chattanooga

At one point in time the Mocs were the only 4-0 FCS team in the nation....We won our OOCs (FCS anyway), even though they didn't really count as QUALITY wins. The Mocs have a tough start next season, (EIU, at Jacksonville St, at UTk, James Madison)
    but even going 2-2 would be a huge bump for the SoCon and Chattanooga. We cleaned the coaching house on the offensive side of the ball and look to be getting some serious upgrades. Our D has some big shoes to fill, but we have been here before and guys keep stepping up. The Mocs Defense is a system and they continue to plug in the next man. Mack and Mahaffey ate studs and will be difficult to replace, but those two stepped up to replace Davis and MacMillian, who had to step up to replace Lott and Tull.....The next crop looks good, Maxwell is a gamer, watch out for Josh Walker, and Tom Arth isnt afraid to give a Transfer or a JUCO kid a shot. Our D will be solid next year, our O can only improve....I won't say we win the conference, but the playoffs are within reach.....especially if we get through September with a few wins.
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    At one point in time the Mocs were the only 4-0 FCS team in the nation....We won our OOCs (FCS anyway), even though they didn't really count as QUALITY wins. The Mocs have a tough start next season, (EIU, at Jacksonville St, at UTk, James Madison)
    but even going 2-2 would be a huge bump for the SoCon and Chattanooga. We cleaned the coaching house on the offensive side of the ball and look to be getting some serious upgrades. Our D has some big shoes to fill, but we have been here before and guys keep stepping up. The Mocs Defense is a system and they continue to plug in the next man. Mack and Mahaffey ate studs and will be difficult to replace, but those two stepped up to replace Davis and MacMillian, who had to step up to replace Lott and Tull.....The next crop looks good, Maxwell is a gamer, watch out for Josh Walker, and Tom Arth isnt afraid to give a Transfer or a JUCO kid a shot. Our D will be solid next year, our O can only improve....I won't say we win the conference, but the playoffs are within reach.....especially if we get through September with a few wins.
    Any new Offense Coaches named yet? If not, sounds like you may have some ‘scoop’ on the prospective ones. Share?
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State

I lost you at “I really don’t think the SoCon was down this year”. Really? I want the SoCon to be good. However, when the answer is, if we would have played the teams we lost to at different times, it does not make sense. Sometimes you just have to win. No excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No good story starts with I was sober......

FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Don’t really have anything to say (so pretty much the same as my other 3,096 posts here), but now that Woffy and ETSU have concluded a markedly forgettable 2018 OOC season for the SoCon, I thought we should start talking about 2019.

By the way, despite the horrid OOC results in 2018, with Woffy’s win over a ‘mortally wounded’ Elon being the best...and maybe the only ‘good’ SoCon OOC win, I really don’t think the SoCon was down this year.But it sure does appear that way.

For example, if Furman plays Elon, Mercer plays Yale, Samford plays KSU, and CIT plays Towson at different points in their seasons, I think all of those were very winnable games. Also, Woffy’s game with Wyoming, Samford’s with FSU, ETSU’s with JaxSt, and Woffy’s with KSU were close, winnable games. We’ll never know about Furman’s game with Colgate, but, based on prior results, we sure can’t put that game in the ‘non-winnable’ category.

Win those 9 OOC games and we’re talking about how strong the SoCon was this year and we have as many as 2 or 3 more Teams in the Playoffs. So, it’s not like the distance is far, but it’s a distance that must be traveled if the SoCon is going to be thought of in the the same light as the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky. If not, the questions about whether the SoCon is even as good as the Southland and/or the OVC will persist...and be valid.

So, let’s use this thread to share all of the GREAT things your favorite Team is doing in the off season to make 2019 a better year for them, and thus, a better year for the SoCon as a whole.
    ......DIS IS UH REAL.......SKRO-DUM SCRATCHER.......................BRAWK!

My Team
    Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateBison View Post
    I lost you at “I really don’t think the SoCon was down this year”. Really? I want the SoCon to be good. However, when the answer is, if we would have played the teams we lost to at different times, it does not make sense. Sometimes you just have to win. No excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, you've been on this shtick before, we get it, you think the socon is garbage even though our OOC schedule was only slightly less impressive than last year. Much wow and insightful.

We should be very impressed that the third place MVFC team got beat by a Big Sky team that would otherwise have finished 5-5. What was the big OOC win for the MVFC during the regular season again? Montana State?

If you realize that the decent teams in the decent conferences are about the same, there's really no evidence that the socon is down. Yeah, Samford lost to KSU and Furman didn't show up against Elon. But theres evidence of unimpressive outings by every conference, see the above paragraph.

You basically show up in these threads to **** in our Cheerios by reiterating the same point over and over again, by overweighing the outcome of two games. It made a lot of sense in the regular season when the Big Fluffy looked decent, but all the quality teams kind of grew into sucking high tit.

You're not insightful, you're not adding to the conversation, you're just here to remind that we aren't North Dakota State...or something.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My Team
    Wofford

Say what you want about the socon's OOC, none of our teams lost to Butler.

FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    Say what you want about the socon's OOC, none of our teams lost to Butler.

....................... DAT CRUEL....BROTHER......AH LIKE IT....AH LIKE IT............AWK!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails images.jpeg