Thread: SoCon next year

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Furman

SoCon next year

I am honestly interested in thoughts from fans of each team.. OBJECTIVE thoughts. I don't know everyone's team (who is graduating??). So I am looking for help here !!

please correct me where I have mistakes !! I need your help on each team !
    ill come back later w more detail.

top three teams?

WOFFORD - returns Everyone on OL. Both QBs return. Pretty scary for SoCon Defenses !
    UPDATE - Justis Basinger named an ALL-AMERICA on OL. I think 3 of Wofford's OL are all-conference? Strong. - yep 3: Basinger, Ralph and Jeresaty all named all-conference. UPDATE w transfer QB - "As many as three quarterbacks could see action under center for the Terriers in 2019.. Joe Newman is the returning starter... For now, heÂ’s the leader in the clubhouse, although Appalachian State transfer Peyton Derrick and talented redshirt freshman Jimmy Weirick will also likely figure into the mix"
    Significant graduations for Wofford include: HB SPEED Lennox McAfee and FB TOUGH RUNNER Andre Stoddard on offense but that's all I think ... Those are top two runners though.
    They Lose CB Domonique Lemon, CB Devin Watson, S Jojo Tillery. ** so they lose 3 out of 4 starters in D backfield
    DL will miss Miles Brown big time but they get Horton back who is great. They do lose 2 of Front 3 on DL as Zamary graduates (8 starts as a Senior) also in addition to Miles Brown. Still Horton's return makes up for a lot of that. They lose only one LB out of 4 ( basically run a 3/4) in Hinton at ILB so LB should be a strength.
    Keys for Wofford next year look to be RBs and defensive backfield. Looks like middle of run defense will be stout again w Horton coming back from injury. Wofford returns a lot (all OL) of players for a SoCon champ -
    ROSTER IN AUGUST: Wofford has THIRTEEN SENIOR STARTERS THIS YEAR. WOW... next year could be very different w 9 returning players(?) but they should be great this year !
    UPDATE IN AUGUST -
    Wofford will begin its football season without two of the three projected starters on the defensive line.
    Preseason All-Southern Conference junior nose tackle Mikel Horton is out indefinitely with an injury and junior defensive end Austin Lufkin will also miss Saturday’s 6 p.m. game at South Carolina State for violation of team rules. “Mikel has an injury that he had during fall camp,” Wofford head coach Josh Conklin said. “Right now, he’s probably going to be a week-to-week deal. It may be worse than we thought. We’ll see how it plays out. ... Austin did not comply with some team policies, so he’ll be sitting this first one out.” Lufkin, started two games last season and was slated to take over full-time at a defensive end spot as the guy opposite all-conference Mangum
    Wofford fans - thoughts? not snarky just fact: but Wofford could have injuries etc and be fine because their schedule is very easy up-front and is tough at the end.. they don't really play anyone until October! SC State, bye week, Samford who just stunk it up, Gardner-Webb and then VMI.. finally they hit ETSU in October

FURMAN?? Obviously the team I know best
    I hope you all give me this detail on your teams. We may take a one year step back. DEPENDS ON QB. Big time! Prior regime left us Blaze and Roberts who was a career backup but did Wonderful this year. But they left us No QBs as junior or sophomore really. So Hendrix had to get a QB quick - my GUESS is Grainger who the coaches are very high on but he only played ONE year of high school QB! That's Scary inexperienced. Missing three years of high school vs a regular guy. Dude Is really talented but loose with the ball - tends to fumble... Other options are Hamp Sisson - probably more polished right now than Grainger? Grainger maybe more raw talent. **NEW is a transfer QB from MTSU who MTSU had at WR (so quite athletic) but wasn't going to be their QB. So he is coming to FU in June to try to be a QB. 3 star guy? Not that stars always mean much. But clearly if MTSU (and GTech looked at him) took him he is a mid-level FBS athlete UPDATE - MTSU guy Shiflett is going to play WR for us this year.. maybe QB next year. . OL returns ALL 8 guys and given another year of Hendrix training should be ok/good. Long term need more Hendrix-recruited guys on OL as he wants a different type of OL. Only lose 4 guys on O. These 4- QB Roberts and RB Dirks ... and TB Morehead had to quit because of injuris . All OL and most WRs and RBs return (one starting WR Cam Burnette left team too).
    On D we will miss Jaylan Reid at DT. And Anoor at Safety. Both were all conference and 30 starts+. That will hurt. LB I feel good about. You all know Hope led FCS Nation in sacks as freshman - despite playing only 10 games!. McKoy is a killer. And we saw our LBs hold Wofford and Citadel to 14 points and 17 points respectively. ***What we are needing to work on is pass defense !! Need to improve there - we have pass rush, need better coverage
    *update*. LB ( pass rush) Adrian Hope was Fourth in Jerry Rice vote for best freshman in country. Voted Freshman AA by Hero Sports too. Adrian Hope on 2019 Pre-Season Buchanan List !
    3 positions to watch... - Center, Strong Safety and QB as thin or young. Center would just be thin. at C the starter returns in Neely but no one behind him w experience. Strong safety thin w only our backup Clay returning w any experience (Griffin or Jones as backup?). QB is deep but inexperienced as noted above.

ETSU? Can they repeat this years run of one score wins ? Sanders looks to be doing good things there which is main thing. Good coaching is priority 1 !!!
    How many key guys graduate? I know Henrik was a BIG part of success and he graduates. *Question number one is replacing Henrik at QB!! both QBs graduated.
    UPDATE **WELL ETSU went and got two FBS transfers at QB. Coastal Carolina guy Thrasher w one year eligibility. Coastal guy "Coastal Carolina transfer and three-star recruit out of high school, ...one year of eligibility remaining, ...appeared only sparingly in three games for the Chanticleers last season. He was rated the #47 quarterback in the NATION by 247Sports coming out of high school. AND ETSU got a Miami FL transfer who enters as a RSo so he will have three yrs left and he played in four games at Miami and started one game. He has to have raw talent to even start one game at Miami - name is WELDON but sounds like he is out a while w shoulder surgery some this year; now ANOTHER QB transfers to ETSU - former Army QB Malik McGue is coming to ETSU per his Twitter feed... last played HS Ball in 2014? 23 years old w 3 years of eligibility left?
    Quay Holmes returns at RB and is very good ! appears w injury to Miami QB that "It looks as though Chance Thrasher, a graduate transfer from Coastal Carolina, has moved to the forefront in the competition to become the Bucs’ new signal caller."
    **update* Quay Holmes won Freshman AA awards from Hero Sports
    How many OL graduate- just one! Though he was a great Center so it will hurt a little. So they return 4 out of 5 OL.
    Nasir Player returns on DL and is possibly the best DL in conference.

ETSU with 2 on Buchanan pre-season list - Nasir Player DE and Tyree Robinson (Safety?)
    ETSU fans - I need your help !?

-------------------------------------------------------
    Middle teams? I don't know. Just guessing at 'middle' vs top. Don't be offended

MERCER - Return two Great QBs who were gimpy this year. Riddle and Riley. Bobby Lamb said Riddle was the best QB he had ever had since Ingle Martin at Furman.. that's high praise as he has seen a lot of QBs. That's scary. I would think they have the best QB / QB depth in the conference next year. MERCER WAS JUST SO BEAT UP LAST YEAR (that is the summary of 2018 for them). Great RB returns huge load - 5'8" 233 Lb Devezin. He is a load. OL looks good and returns 4 of 5 starters. only offense where they will hurt is that the WR corps suffers big losses - Irvin, Houzah and walker. Pretty big losses there.
    Defense. Edge rushing losses are big - Losing Buehler and Wysor at DE will hurt .... Buehler was a strong pass rusher. Lose all 3 OLB including all-conference LeMarkus Bailey. So they lose both DE and all starting OLB. Pass rush will be a question mark for them. Stopping the edge runs of option teams may be an issue when you lose all your DEs and all your OLBs ??
    Special teams. Losing Irvin on PR and Houzah on KOR will hurt. Mercer was very very good at KOR and PR in 2018. Though one guy - Durden - returns.

CITADEL - Return 4 OL from 2018 - though the one they lost was a great one - name?. New QB, Rainey, showed a lot of promise at end of 2018 vs last few teams on schedule. All backs return. So O should be good and much improved. D only loses 5 guys though they were key guys.
    D loses 5 guys now: Great LB Dawkins and top DB Spann. Also lose good nose tackle DL Ken Allen and another LB Hubbs.
    * UPDATE *
    Now Citadel did additionally lose DE Mason Kinsey, who is no longer with the program. Kinsey was a SoCon All-Freshman pick last fall.
    so that makes 5 guys lost on the Defensive side of the ball
    Citadel could be moving up in SoCon with so few losses on O
    ( * UPDATE *On Monday, Sam Houston State running back Remus Bulmer -- one of the top returning career rushers in the FCS -- reached out to HERO Sports and said he is going to sit out the rest of 2018 and will take his redshirt this year, then look to play his senior season elsewhere in 2019.-
    he is coming to Citadel for Senior season )
    ( *UPDATE -
    Citadel football adds transfer linebacker:
    The Citadel has added a transfer linebacker who will be eligible for the 2019 football season, coach Brent Thompson announced Wednesday.
    Airan Reed is a graduate-student transfer from Southern Illinois and will have one season to play for the Bulldogs.
    UPDATE*. OL Haas (center?) and punter Campbell voted Freshman AA form Hero sports !

SAMFORD - where will they be without Gooden on D and Hodges and McKnight on O ?? NOT a smack. But you have to,wonder. I think all 3 (at least 2) of those guys signed UFA contracts with the NFL!
    I'll put em 6th? Shelling - great WR returns. Samford does have several good freshman playing on D this year.
    Samford does return a lot on OL - 4 or 5 guys.
    New QB is probably Oladokun he "transferred to Samford from South Florida and will have two seasons of eligibility remaining. He started three games for the USF Bulls last season, and played in six. Dual threat?? - not sure on that. Three-star recruit according out of high school. He received scholarship offers from: Nebraska, Temple, Iowa State, Bowling Green, Georgia Southern, South Alabama and Toledo so he has talent.
    UPDATE: In summer camp Lamar Anderson was added as a Safety, came from Ball State will have 2 seasons to play for the Dogs. He started the first 3 games for Ball State, but suffered an injury causing him to miss the rest of the 2018 season. All-State 3*** rated player, and the #21 prospect in Missouri coming out of HS
    Samford fans who else returns and who graduates?

---------------------------------------------------------
    Bottom ??

CHATTANOOGA. I put them here because now it's coaching turmoil. All 2018 offensive coaches are gone. Talent wise they have some for sure. But they had talent this past year and had no offense.
    on O - Tiano QB and WR Nunnely and RB Price return.... Nunnelly is on the Payton Award watch list pre-season.
    How many OL return? All. 5 ! Though the OL really struggled in 2018
    LOSSES - Kareem Orr graduated and he was a great DB !
    But on the DL the two killers - Mack and Mahaffey are both gone. That's a big loss - so HUGE defensive losses
    UPDATE *** Arth is gone to Akron. - Chatt now hired new HC Rusty Wright who was an assistant at Georgia State. Used to play for Chatt

WCU. Tyrie Adams is awesome. Maybe best singular player in SoCon .. Adams is on the Payton award watch list pre-season.
    But 4 of the OL starters graduate. That's gonna hurt
    Owen Cosenke Is a very good TE (all-conference level)
    Can they finally improve on defense ?? and they Lost 2 of 3 starting DL including Nate Link who decided to not play his Graduate year and was good DL Also lost Jordan Mathis at WR who was good.
    On D - they return a lot of the back 7 of DBs and LBs as most all of those were young last year. The key according to some is how is their DL going to be?? So sounds like OL and DL are the big questions.
    That said, they return the all-conf TE and good WRs including Patten..and return their top two RBs - so they lose almost all OL but return much of the skill positions.
    **update Ronald Kent at DB won freshman AA from Hero Sports
    WCU fans. Some help here ?
    WCU lost six offensive linemen (4 starters) that saw extensive playing time in 2018 - Among the losses were five players with 30-or-more career games played including all-conference selection Zach Weeks (44 career games) and classmates Nathan Dalton (45), Andrew Miles (45), Kaleb Spry (40), and Chase Stehling (34). Veteran offensive line coach John Holt will lean heavily upon his lone returning starter in junior Grady Thomas. He has 12 starts including three as a true freshman in 2017 and nine a year ago. Thomas is flanked by redshirt junior Matthew Bair who has played in 17 career games and redshirt sophomore Michael Harper who started one of the four games he played in 2018. Behind them is a slew of redshirt and true freshmen that will be battling for positioning in the offensive depth chart and special teams units. Three returning redshirts have seen collegiate action, paced by Tyler Smith (4 games), Nick Campbell (3 games), and Garrett Bowman (1 game) last season.
    The coaching staff is very high on two incoming freshmen – both of whom enrolled early to go through 2019 spring drills. Isaiah Helms and Jacob Combs could both find themselves in the starting lineup for the opener against Mercer. Local product Dillon Luther (Asheville, N.C. / Erwin HS) has had a productive fall camp and could factor into playing time early in his collegiate career. They may have FRESHMAN at Center and OG on the OL !

VMI - I give them credit for playing tough this year. So close. Air raid can always upset someone. Came within 2 points of Citadel and Western. Strong QB and WR corps. QB Udinski is legit. But he doesn't have enough team help. *AUGUST UPDATE --- VMI took a hit w leading WR Thornton out of the program as is starting DB Loftis

bump. I updated with the 5 SoCon guys that won freshman all America awards. Continue to update w transfers etc.
    Last edited by gofurman; August 26th, 2019 at 09:59 PM.