Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: SoCon next year

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

Re: SoCon next year

How's this one, former Army QB Malik McGue is coming to ETSU per his Twitter feed.
    Once upon a time, my alma mater was a college football desert in the middle of SEC/SoCon country. But then ETSU leadership brought back football and brought on as head coach:

- Carl Torbush, whose teams were nothing to write home about
    - Randy Sanders, who brought ETSU unprecedented success with two SoCon titles
    - George Quarles, who basically ran the team into the ground AND GOT FIRED! (Bye Felicia!)

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n View Post
    How's this one, former Army QB Malik McGue is coming to ETSU per his Twitter feed.
    Last season of HS ball was 2014. Now 5 years later and he has 3 years of eligibility remaining. Kid’s gonna be playing as a 30 year old.

Very nice pick-up. He will help the Bucs somewhere on the field this year...and for 7-10 years more...prolly.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

My Team
    Furman

THanks BnG - I'LL add that to the original post (initial post in this thread) where i keep up w each team pre-season and maybe throughout season too.
    FURMAN FOOTBALL:
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1988
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME APPEARANCES - 1985, 1988, 2001
    SOCON CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS - 15 TIMES (Most in the Conference)
    FCS PLAYOFFS - 20 Appearances
    ARMED FORCES MERIT AWARD - 2023 (Tyler Huff Furman QB)
    WALTER PAYTON AWARD - 2000 (Louis Ivory)

First Class FCS Ruler wcugrad95's Avatar
    My Team
    Western Carolina

Just catching up on much of this thread as I hibernated since last football season. Saw some interesting comments about Tyrie - most very positive about how good he is individually, but several saying how he won't be as productive because he needs help. While it is true that WCU loses 4 starters off the O-line, we have some guys who got a fair amount of playing time due to injury. I also feel like with the scheme, we can somewhat mask a little bit of line play (ask FUBeAR what he honestly thought of our O-line the last 2 years).

As for the rest of the offense, we return 2 starters at WR in Mullen (55 catches for 600 yards and 2 TDs) and Patten (39 catches for 567 yards and 5 TDs), have a handful of new WRs who provide size (DJ Thorpe is a RS-SO, Keshaun Abel and Mahari Sterling are both RS FR - all 6'3" or taller), return the preseason all-SoCon TE in Owen Cosenke (23 catches for 261 yards and 8 TDs), and return our top 2 RBs in Connell Young (529 rushing and 331 receiving yards and 5 total TDs) and Donovan Spencer (506 yards rushing and 142 receiving yards and 4 total TDs). We also signed the highest rated RB signee in the SoCon per Hero Sports (#4 overall) with Syheam McQueen. Between the 5 guys listed who had stats last season, that is over 1000 rushing yards, over 1900 receiving yards, 157 total receptions, and 26 TDs scored. And McQueen is the highest-rated RB we have ever signed in the history of the program.

I expect WCU to again have a pretty good offense. Our season will hinge on if some of the defensive guys have gotten better - for the last 3 or 4 weeks of 2018 we had about 1/2 the starters and nearly every guy on the 2nd team listed as either RS or true Freshman. More precisely, it will hinge on our defensive front as we have some pretty talented guys in the backend (Ronald Kent was all-Freshman and was on the Jerry Rice watch list, Michael Murphy had a very good year, Shamon Elliott has 13 career starts and 3 INTs, JerMichael White missed much of last year due to injury but has 11 career starts with 2 INTs and a couple of double-digit tackle games, and John Brannon with 4 career INTs come to mind back there). A pair of LBs with experience return in Ty Harris (105 career tackles, 2 sacks, 2 INTs) and Jarquavious Wortham (19 tackles and 2 sacks last year). We also signed a pair of highly-regarded Freshman D-lineman in Christian Harris (our top-ranked recruit as the #3 SoCon signee per Hero Sports) and Roman Johnson.

Our biggest losses are Jordan Mathis on offense and Nate Link on defense (Link graduated in May and decided not to play as a graduate student). Again, a whole lot of this is based on potential and previous stats, but we also had what Hero Sports ranked as the #1 overall SoCon recruiting class. I am not ready to translate that into "x" wins until I see the team in action, but for the exercise I ***think*** was being asked here, that is a more in-depth look at the Cats.

Hero Sports link: https://herosports.com/fcs/recruitin...nce-socon-ajaj
    Last edited by wcugrad95; August 13th, 2019 at 11:07 PM.

My Team
    Furman

thanks WCU - that's what I am looking for. Any updates on camp etc ?
    FURMAN FOOTBALL:
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1988
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME APPEARANCES - 1985, 1988, 2001
    SOCON CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS - 15 TIMES (Most in the Conference)
    FCS PLAYOFFS - 20 Appearances
    ARMED FORCES MERIT AWARD - 2023 (Tyler Huff Furman QB)
    WALTER PAYTON AWARD - 2000 (Louis Ivory)

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by wcugrad95 View Post
    ask FUBeAR what he honestly thought of our O-line the last 2 years
    Quote Originally Posted by wcugrad95 View Post

And McQueen is the highest-rated RB we have ever signed in the history of the program.
    WCU’s O-Line has had excellent size & has been VERY experienced the past 2 years...and...

Melvin Dorsey would like a word with your History Professor...

Here are the Top RB’s from the 1979 National 100 by Dr. Charles Holland, who was a football analyst and computer scientist.

1. Eric Dickerson, RB, 6-3, 205, Sealy (Texas) - SMU
    2. Roger Craig, RB, 6-2, 202, Davenport (Ia.) – Nebraska
    3. Jimmy Smith, RB, 6-0, 190, Kankakee (Il.) – Purdue
    4. Mike Cade, RB, 6-1, 205, Eloy (Az.) – Michigan
    5. Vincent White, RB, 5-8, 175, Denver (Co.) – Stanford
    6. Craig James, RB, 6-1, 210, Houston (Texas) – SMU
    7. Stanley Wilson, RB, 6-1, 195, Los Angeles (Calif.) – Oklahoma
    8. Buford McGee, RB, 6-1, 180, Durant (Ms.) – Ole Miss
    9. Weldon Ledbetter, RB, 6-3, 210, Clayton (Mo.) – Oklahoma
    10. Johnny Hector, RB, 5-11, 180, New Iberia (La.) – Texas A&M
    11. Rob Moore, FB, 6-2, 217, Santa An (Calif.) – Stanford
    12. Curt Warner, RB, 6-1, 180, Pineville (WV) – Penn State
    13. Cyrus Lawrence, RB, 5-10, 200, South Hampton (Va.) – Virginia Tech (VPI then)
    14. Shelby Gamble, RB, 6-0, 195, South Haven (Mi.) – Boston College
    15. Melvin Dorsey, RB, 6-0, 180, Atlanta (Ga.) – Georgia (Transferred to WCU)

Also...help me out here. I recently listened to the 12 hour-long (felt like it was 12 hours) “WCU Football Preseason Special” on Facebook. Did I hear Coach Speir correctly that WCU very well may start 2 TRUE Freshman at Center & OG?

Last edited by FUBeAR; August 14th, 2019 at 04:58 AM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

First Class FCS Ruler wcugrad95's Avatar
    My Team
    Western Carolina

McQueen = signee
    Dorsey = transfer

I am not saying McQueen is the best RB we will ever have (as recently as 2 years ago we had a school record-setting RB) since he hasn’t played a down yet and was recruited as much for defense as offense. But in the modern era (with “stars” and such) I believe he is the most highly touted high school signee we have had at the RB position.

And I think the topic of the thread is around what teams have coming back and impact freshman/transfers. So that is where I concentrated. No doubt we need some O-lineman and our Defensive front to step up.
    Last edited by wcugrad95; August 14th, 2019 at 07:40 AM.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Last season of HS ball was 2014. Now 5 years later and he has 3 years of eligibility remaining. Kid’s gonna be playing as a 30 year old.

Very nice pick-up. He will help the Bucs somewhere on the field this year...and for 7-10 years more...prolly.
    Since he graduated from Science Hill in 2014, he started for the football team at USMA Prep School before landing at West Point. Saw some action in 2016 but was held out in 2017 (academic eligibility). He left West Point after that season and rumored to land at Wofford but that did not happen.

https://goarmywestpoint.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8770

http://jcweb.libercus.net/Football/2...s-Army-program

I'm sure Sanders will put him to good use.
    Once upon a time, my alma mater was a college football desert in the middle of SEC/SoCon country. But then ETSU leadership brought back football and brought on as head coach:

- Carl Torbush, whose teams were nothing to write home about
    - Randy Sanders, who brought ETSU unprecedented success with two SoCon titles
    - George Quarles, who basically ran the team into the ground AND GOT FIRED! (Bye Felicia!)

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

Since he graduated from Science Hill in 2014, he started for the football team at USMA Prep School before landing at West Point. Saw some action in 2016 but was held out in 2017 (academic eligibility). He left West Point after that season and rumored to land at Wofford but that did not happen.

https://goarmywestpoint.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8770

http://jcweb.libercus.net/Football/2...s-Army-program

I'm sure Sanders will put him to good use.
    Where was he in 2018?

My Team
    Chattanooga

Probably Northeast State getting his grades up to speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!