Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LIU Going D1 in all sports

First Class FCS Advocate

LIU Going D1 in all sports

I went to LIU (Brooklyn) for Grad School and Just got the following email.

Dear LIU Community,
    We are excited to announce the next step in Long Island University’s vision to enhance its reputation regionally and nationally. Beginning in the 2019-20 academic year, LIU will compete in all sports at the NCAA Division I level, with a unified athletics program that will join our campuses into One LIU.
    To honor our history and launch us into the future, we are taking this critical step to build on our success and chart an exciting path forward with a unified identity. Our athletics program plays an important role in bringing people together and promoting educational values. As we elevate the LIU brand nationally through academic excellence and world-class research, our athletics program will unite our entire community and compete at the highest levels. We believe allowing our student-athletes to compete at the highest level will increase the university’s visibility and ultimately create a broader platform to tell the “One LIU” story.
    Click here to watch today's announcement at the New York Athletic Club
    In order to honor LIU’s strong tradition of athletic excellence, the University announced the new program will combine the traditional colors of both campuses into a unified blue and gold. LIU also announced that students and alumni will help choose the new mascot for the unified program in the coming weeks.
    In addition to elevating the brand and reputation of our University and the value of a Long Island University diploma, this new program will lead to expanded opportunities for student-athletes. We will now compete in women’s ice hockey, women’s rowing and women’s water polo, and will offer our growing student population an enhanced ability to take courses on either campus.
    Our athletics program is just one part of the equation. We strive to continue to build on our identity as a leading national teaching and research institution. LIU’s distinguished faculty offers a world-class education with a focus on experiential learning that prepares students for success.
    We are expanding our elite partnerships. We are hosting the prestigious Polk Awards at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., collaborating with celebrated philanthropist T. Denny Sanford to provide early-childhood education to nearly quarter-of-a-million students in our region, and partnering with BSE Global to renovate the historic LIU Paramount Theatre. Additionally, Governor Andrew Cuomo recently supported LIU with $12 million in state transformative funding toward the New York metropolitan area’s first veterinary program, pending accreditation.
    Today is indeed an exciting day for LIU and is another step forward in strengthening our position as an elite national teaching and research institution. Now, we will be brought even closer together to support a single, NCAA Division I program that will unite, inspire, and elevate our University to even greater heights.
    You can learn even more about the future of LIU Athletics and stay up to date on the latest developments at one.liu.edu. If you have any questions, you can contact us at 516-299-1019 or 718-488-1019. We are also available to answer your questions via email at[email protected]
    Sincerely,
    Kimberly R. Cline
    President

The Imagine Dragons of AGS
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: LIU Going D1 in all sports

NEC or bust.

Adding Merrimack and LIU will bring them to 9 football members for a 8 game schedule. Not bad at all.
    Last edited by TheKingpin28; October 3rd, 2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: I forgot how to count
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

"There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right" - Alexandria 'Sandy' Ocasio-Cortez, the new queen of the left.

AKA Lord Kingpin

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

I'm confused about this. The Blackbirds (great name, great colors- black and silver- that match the nickname) were already D1. So this is more about the merger with D2 LIU-Post? It said that the new colors will be blue and gold? And that they still have to pick a unified nickname? The Pioneers had football, the Blackbirds didn't. Are they going to keep the sport at the FCS level?

I guess I'll have to buy a new cap to keep my collection up to date.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

My Team
    Central Connecticut State

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I'm confused about this. The Blackbirds (great name, great colors- black and silver- that match the nickname) were already D1. So this is more about the merger with D2 LIU-Post? It said that the new colors will be blue and gold? And that they still have to pick a unified nickname? The Pioneers had football, the Blackbirds didn't. Are they going to keep the sport at the FCS level?

I guess I'll have to buy a new cap to keep my collection up to date.
    Yes, what this appears to be is a athletics merger of LIU-Brooklyn and LIU-Post. They are 2 separate campuses, but are part of the same university.

LIU-Brooklyn is a D-I member of the NEC.
    LIU-Post is a D-II member of the NE-10.

I think this means the NEC now has another football team (9 teams), but not a new basketball team. Interesting development ...

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK

All of LIU's teams will continue competing in their current conferences for the 2018-19 academic year, honoring schedules with opponents. The unification will be effective for competition beginning in Fall 2019. The university will elevate seven current Post programs to Division I, including expanding its membership in the Northeast Conference with men's cross country, men's lacrosse and football, which will make the transition to the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).

This initiative will put students first by providing additional opportunities and the university will honor current scholarships to student-athletes. LIU is committed, first and foremost, to all of its student-athletes graduating on time, with a LIU diploma.

"The Northeast Conference looks forward to the growth and enhancement of the league through the unification of the LIU athletic departments into a more robust Division I program with the addition of LIU's football, men's lacrosse, and men's cross country teams to the conference," noted Northeast Conference Commissioner Noreen Morris. "With the announcement of the LIU unification, we are excited about the future of LIU Athletics and the NEC."

My Team
    Colgate

Congratulations to LIU and the NEC!

If only one of the Patriot League members would add football - are you listening, American, Boston University and Loyola?

First Class FCS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    Congratulations to LIU and the NEC!

If only one of the Patriot League members would add football - are you listening, American, Boston University and Loyola?

Which would you rate the chances for each of those?

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK

Quote Originally Posted by Danielr11220 View Post
    Which would you rate the chances for each of those?
    Zero, Zero and Zero?

I'm no better than you...probably
    My Team
    Montana

Man that is prety cool news. Good job LIU.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

This is awesome news. That is actually a pretty legit D-2 program.