Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transition Period for D-II teams

Major FCS Advocate

Transition Period for D-II teams

Someone explain the reasoning for making D-II teams that move up not eligible for the FCS playoffs until their 5th season. Does this means that NDSU wont be eligible for 2007 either? I assume they will be eligible in 2008.

Master FCS Advocate BISON Thunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabholdofyosef
    Someone explain the reasoning for making D-II teams that move up not eligible for the FCS playoffs until their 5th season. Does this means that NDSU wont be eligible for 2007 either? I assume they will be eligible in 2008.

This is correct...NDSU not eligible till 2008 season. The rule is in place to force true commitment, I believe. NCAA doesn't want schools jumping to/from divisions.
    "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time." Max McGee

There are some old threads about this but the real answer is it depends on who you ask.

As a Bison fan I would have to say there is none. Its a conspiracy theory by the NCAA to keep the Bison from winning the championship last year.

It's not just football, it's the entire school. Divison I has more stringent academic regulations, requires a college to have fourteen sports (ten for D-II), and the school must show it has its sports administration and compliance oversight up and functioning.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by UAalum72
    It's not just football, it's the entire school. Divison I has more stringent academic regulations, requires a college to have fourteen sports (ten for D-II), and the school must show it has its sports administration and compliance oversight up and functioning.
    So why cant there be exceptions for teams like NDSU, which already had the required academic standards and sports? When you look at schools like NDSU and SDSU, it looks more like the purpose is punishment for moving up, rather then any administrative purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison05
    So why cant there be exceptions for teams like NDSU, which already had the required academic standards and sports? When you look at schools like NDSU and SDSU, it looks more like the purpose is punishment for moving up, rather then any administrative purpose.
    I think BISON Thunder answered that for you:

Quote Originally Posted by BISON Thunder
    The rule is in place to force true commitment, I believe. NCAA doesn't want schools jumping to/from divisions.

Do you really think the NCAA should just take a school's word for it that they're in compliance and ready for Division I?
    Read pages 369-371, Bylaw 20.5, Change of Division Classification, in
    http://www.ncaa.org/library/membersh..._d1_manual.pdf for all the administrative stuff they require
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by UAalum72
    Do you really think the NCAA should just take a school's word for it that they're in compliance and ready for Division I?
    Read pages 369-371, Bylaw 20.5, Change of Division Classification, in
    http://www.ncaa.org/library/membersh..._d1_manual.pdf for all the administrative stuff they require
    I realize that there is alot of administrative requirements, but in reality this could be expedited. A have no problem with the old standards of a 2 year transtitional period. However, I have a problem with requiring a whole class of student atheletes to not have a chance at competing in post-season play. Especially when the reason is procedural and not substantive.

First Class FCS Ruler Sir William's Avatar
    There are some old threads about this but the real answer is it depends on who you ask.

As a Bison fan I would have to say there is none. Its a conspiracy theory by the NCAA to keep the Bison from winning the championship last year.
    :deadhorse:

Originally Posted by Bison05

Quote Originally Posted by Sir William
    :deadhorse:
    Sorry, I couldn't help it.