It's week 10 in the Socon. Here are your power rankings:
1. Furman: Destroyed the Citadel. Playing their best ball. I bet they're fun to watch too (I haven't watch them play a full game in a while).
2. Wofford (autobid, Socon champs, etc). Finally put a game together where we led by two scores in the second half. The difference between this year and years prior is that we have a good passing game.
3. Samford. I think they have the best defense in the conference, even if they have trouble stopping the run at times. this is a huge game next week and I'm excited for it.
4(tie). Western. It looks like they're out of the playoffs unless they pull an upset against UNC next week. It's not crazy.
4(tie). Mercer. Yes, I'm aware Mercer beat Western this week, but it's all about averages with me. Once again, the Bears will have to wait until next year.
6. The Citadel. Not a good offense and their defense is exposed.
7. Chattanooga. Steadily improving
8. ETSU. Got knocked back to the ground against Samford this week.
9. VMI. Season over. That's all that can be said.
Furman @ Samford. I'm not picking this game because I'm too biased. I'm pulling for Samford (because I don't want Wofford to share the conference title) but Furman is just on fire right now. Samford's offense isn't as consistent as Furman's but their defense is consistently the best in the conference in terms of getting teams off the field. there's good reason to think either team should win this game, but if I had would have to say Furman's the favorite just because their defense is more consistent that Samford's offense. Samford does play an offense most optimal to exploit Furman's defense.
The Citadel @ Clemson. Clemson shut down Georgia Tech. Look for a repeat here.
ETSU @ Chattanooga. Chattanooga has better strength in the trenches and a better pass defense than most of the teams that ETSU's pass game has had success against. Copeland is steadily improving and I think there's a solid case that Chattanooga is a better team than they were a month to six weeks ago.
Wofford @ USC. I don't think we'll win. I think if we can make it to 14 points and hold them below 40 and no injuries, I will be content with the effort.
Western @ UNC. I think Western will give them a run for their money (UNC is really banged up), but ultimately superior athletcism prevails
Mercer @ Bama.
VMI loses to the offseason.