Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YSU vs. Pitt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

YSU vs. Pitt

YSU opens at Pitt where they will get beat. Local fans are once again over rating their chances as. I look for YSU to finish at 7-4 and maybe 6-5 if injuries hit a few positions . Weakness in the secondary and the DL should be on display.

On a side note , Pitts coach Narduzzi is a former YSU player who transferred out when they fired his HC father, Bill. Then it was discovered he had cancer which killed him later on. Narduzzi has no love lost for YSU which may play in this game.

This is a transition year for Bo who has the remnants of Wolfs former players, his transfers, who currently are saving his bacon and his poor recruit classes which become front and center next year.This transition year will see major ups and downs.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul

Re: YSU vs. Pitt

Pitt lost a lot but they've recruited really well the last 3-4 years. My guess is the 'Guins are in trouble.

I've always been a fan of YSU but Bo has really rubbed me the wrong way...
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

First Class FCS Ruler Penguin Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Youngstown State

I went to Ursuline with Narduzzi. Good guy. Too classy to fill the Pitt roster with known sexual predators.

7-4 or 6-5 seems about right. Pitt, NDSU, and SDSU are losses. SDSU may be an ugly loss after YSU (Youngstown's Scumbag University) gets softened up by its NEC schedule. There'll be 1-2 more losses (UNI, ISUr). YSU will make the playoffs, but not have the gift-wrapped bracket placement of 2016, and only see a few rounds.

As far as Pitt goes, Narduzzi's team is nothing like the Chryst team of 2012. Narduzzi's teams beat Clemson and Penn State...they will not lose to YSU. Pitt has an explosive offense, and there is a big drop off on YSU's D. Fortunately for YSU, Pitt has by ACC standards a weak D, but YSU won't keep up...especially if the YSU run game is shut down. If YSU had a QB that could at least threaten to scramble, they could make it interesting, but their mobile QB watches the TFL's accumulate from the sidelines.

My Team
    Saint Francis

Keep in mind that Pitt only beat Villanova 28-7 last year and held a 21-7 lead going to the 4th quarter. Now much of that had to do with using a vanilla offense for week one - so as to not tip-off PSU for week two, so it's possible they try the same thing again this year.

Narduzzi was praising YSU's LB Armand Dellovade during his comments yesterday. Dellovade was originally committed to StFU before Pellini was hired and offered him late in the process.

Narduzzi grew up in Youngstown and was a star at Ursuline, then joined his Dad at YSU. I saw those games and remember the Dad getting fired and Narduzzi transferring out. He was bitter for years. May still be.

You are right, PN, Narduzzi is too classy to recruit scum. He is nothing like Bo.

YSU has lots of holes in its D and the O isn't as good as it was last year. Still, they may be forced to score a lot to stay in many games. While games #2 and 3 are weenies and gimme wins, the rest of the schedule is not. They best hope they don't get beat up at Pitt and have injuries ruin the season. Depth is spotty.

I'll give Pitt the 10-14pt edge. If YSU can win the turnover edge, minimize penalties, and play good special teams they will at least have a chance at the upset.

Go GUINS!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul

Quote Originally Posted by ValleyTalk View Post
    I'll give Pitt the 10-14pt edge. If YSU can win the turnover edge, minimize penalties, and play good special teams they will at least have a chance at the upset.

Go GUINS!
    10-14 points seems a bit optimistic imo. I think if YSU can keep it within 21 points it'll be a good showing. Pitt will be a decent 7-5 FBS team this year.

I was born in McKeesport, PA and lived in Austintown, OH so this is a game with some roots for me. I'll be in Youngstown in 4 weeks.

I'll go with Pitt 34-13
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

Let's play a game of who said it...
    "Keep my projection in mind for after the season on Rivers. No Pro team will want him because of his Achilles Heel. Great pass rusher. Fails elsewhere."

"
    You can run on Rivers. That keeps him out of the Pros."

Get real. Rivers is gone for a year with injury. He never made a regular season roster. We won't know for another year if he can play the run in the Pros. Great pass rusher. Run game was weak in college. Incomplete at this point.

Will YSU keep it with in 10-14 pts ? Have my doubts. The D is in trouble this year.

There is a player from Austintown who may be a star in this game, RB Darrin Hall. He played a big part in Pitts win over Penn St.
    If Narduzzi can, he will crush YSU. Could be a lopsided game.