Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: UNI@YSU

Re: UNI@YSU

Quote Originally Posted by I-AA Fan View Post
    Davis is a good QB, but he is only in his first year and plays like it. He is not what I would call a running QB. He is a drop-back passer that can run when needed. At his size if he was a true running QB, he would be playing at Clemson or one of the teams from the old Big East. He probably does need to call his own number a bit less, but coach Shane lets his QB's call the plays so if he sees a chance he takes it. Last week I liked Davis' use of Webb. As soon as Webb got into the flat, Davis waited for an LB to move over into coverage and then tucked the ball and ran. This week I would like to see Davis hit Webb a few times as UNI will be game-planing for that "keeper".
    I have only admittedly watched just parts of Youngstown's last couple of games, but from what I've seen Davis has not shown to be a "good QB." When I've seen him throw the ball the first thing that comes to my mind is "Yikes, hope the Penguins aren't forced into too many obvious passing downs."

Maybe I've just turned the YSU games on at the wrong time, but I really think the QB spot could be the weak link for what is otherwise a solid Penguins' team.

This game against UNI has a chance to alter my opinion some if he can prove to be a better passer, as I suspect the UNI's front 7 will be good enough to slow down the Penguins' ground game.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Just a few things:

First of all, YSU's OC is very welled-liked by people on and off the field. Bo probably did not like being told he had to keep him, but Bo also realizes he is one of the top OC's in all DI (yes all). It is safe to say that Bo has never had as talented an OC in his HC career. There are a few people on the YSU board that think if they say something, that makes it so. Say I am from Youngstown, the home of smash-mouth football, so the spread is not my friend either. However this is 2016, so if we are going to spread it, then we have the right man for the job. We need to stop confusing a lack of execution, with play-calling. I am glad to see that Monty has added back more complexity to his offense. Wolford had Shane calling-in high-school plays, when he has the deepest play book in the nation. Last week, the man took a spread offense and shifted to almost an "i" formation with QB under center and finished off USD's d-line. He will go from 2nd-down and 5-ball carriers on the field to 3rd-down and 5-receivers. How can you not respect that at the I-AA/FCS level?

Secondly, Carl Pelini is now the DC. YSU's d-line is weak, so we put everyone up front. All UNI has to do is watch the WVU game to see how to beat us. Simply throw the ball down field. The WVU QB threw 4 TD passes and 3 of them were at 38-yards or above. To Carl's credit, he is blitzing on almost every play and most of the time, receivers are not getting that deep on us. However, that leaves us very susceptible to a big back. Carl's middle and secondary really jam hard on the receivers, but we had 9-penalties last week. I feel like I am watching a MEAC or SWAC team at times.

Davis is a good QB, but he is only in his first year and plays like it. He is not what I would call a running QB. He is a drop-back passer that can run when needed. At his size if he was a true running QB, he would be playing at Clemson or one of the teams from the old Big East. He probably does need to call his own number a bit less, but coach Shane lets his QB's call the plays so if he sees a chance he takes it. Last week I liked Davis' use of Webb. As soon as Webb got into the flat, Davis waited for an LB to move over into coverage and then tucked the ball and ran. This week I would like to see Davis hit Webb a few times as UNI will be game-planing for that "keeper".

As mentioned, YSU has a small, but effective FB this year (McCaster) youthful and deliberate in style. He is always going to get positive yardage. Ruiz seems to be playing more like his old self, but I really think that injury is somewhat permanent and we have to accept the fact that he is at about 85%-90%. Since he is capable of being the top all-around (rushing and receiving) back in the nation, that is not too bad. I feel that getting Webb into the flat is key against UNI. once he breaks free, he is the fastest man on the field.

Special teams coverage was very good last week, but has been a weakness. The kickers are solid, probably the best in the conference. We had a really hard time turning the field in Q3 last week ...that cannot happen again. I really fault the O-line on much of that.

Bo is not really 'Bo' this year. I am concerned that the natural hatred for him (by the men in stripes) will come to haunt us. Look at WVU, the very first time Bo opened his mouth, the official flagged him within a couple of seconds. Baring directed language, that should have been a sideline warning ...then the yardage if it happened another time. However, Bo is a quality local product and we need to be happy we have him. Even though I have concerns about bringing Carl on to the staff in the first-place, now that he is here ...he is finally where his talent needs to be .. as DC.

I see a good game, but this one should be lopsided ...one way or the other. Considering YSU has what 1-win against UNI in the last 20-years? Money has to go on the Panthers. YSU needs to win field position, as UNI does have a good record in the red-zone. This will be tough as UNI will have the best return teams (both punt and kick) that YSU has faced. Baily is only 60 of 128; however he only has 1 INT, while Youngstown QBs have given up 5. These teams are #1 and #2 in 1st-downs allowed, yet neither is in the top half of the conference in 1st-downs gained. So why am I predicting a lopsided game?

You were the guy saying NDSU was washed up and would have at least 4 losses this year...right?

My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I have only admittedly watched just parts of Youngstown's last couple of games, but from what I've seen Davis has not shown to be a "good QB." When I've seen him throw the ball the first thing that comes to my mind is "Yikes, hope the Penguins aren't forced into too many obvious passing downs."

Maybe I've just turned the YSU games on at the wrong time, but I really think the QB spot could be the weak link for what is otherwise a solid Penguins' team.

This game against UNI has a chance to alter my opinion some if he can prove to be a better passer, as I suspect the UNI's front 7 will be good enough to slow down the Penguins' ground game.
    He went beyond chattown when he said Davis would be on Clemson if he could run better. Holy God

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

First Class FCS Ruler Penguin Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Youngstown State

Just a few things:

First of all, YSU's OC is very welled-liked by people on and off the field. Bo probably did not like being told he had to keep him, but Bo also realizes he is one of the top OC's in all DI (yes all). It is safe to say that Bo has never had as talented an OC in his HC career. There are a few people on the YSU board that think if they say something, that makes it so. Say I am from Youngstown, the home of smash-mouth football, so the spread is not my friend either. However this is 2016, so if we are going to spread it, then we have the right man for the job. We need to stop confusing a lack of execution, with play-calling. I am glad to see that Monty has added back more complexity to his offense. Wolford had Shane calling-in high-school plays, when he has the deepest play book in the nation. Last week, the man took a spread offense and shifted to almost an "i" formation with QB under center and finished off USD's d-line. He will go from 2nd-down and 5-ball carriers on the field to 3rd-down and 5-receivers. How can you not respect that at the I-AA/FCS level?
    Dude, based on what? Best in both FBS and FCS? What hard stats can you offer to support that outrageous claim? He's not, nor has ever been, even the best in the MVFC.

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    You were the guy saying NDSU was washed up and would have at least 4 losses this year...right?
    He is still hoping for it...

My Team
    North Dakota State

I just watched the Illinois St YSU game (Thank you Watch ESPN replay function)
    YSU QB is a decent runner, but his passing is a dumpster fire.
    I think UNI wins this game by 10+
    I stole this from a hockey card
    I keep trapped up under
    My 50 Mission Cap

First Class FCS Ruler

Thumper. You obviously do not understand sarcasm? I said that he is NOT a running QB... and ...IF HE WAS A TRUE RUNNING QB AT HIS SIZE he would be playing at Clemson or one of the old Big East.

Stop worrying about attacking posters and read.

First Class FCS Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Nation View Post
    Dude, based on what? Best in both FBS and FCS? What hard stats can you offer to support that outrageous claim? He's not, nor has ever been, even the best in the MVFC.

Oh yes, this coming from a guy who complained about an OC averaging almost 36-points just a couple years ago because he scored most of it in the 1st, 2nd and 4th quarters? In fact to stop your pending BS, let's go ahead and say he scored nothing in the second half. Who cares when we scored that amount of points? If you cannot win games with that offensive production your team has problems, which are not on offense. God forbid you say something about a defense that could not hold our opponents below that. You still send out the same old crap and you find a few fools that seem to believe you and you are what 2-points ahead in the national polls? Now something with the name Pelini on it and it is Golden. Just like president Tressel is secretly guiding our team back to past greatness. You just crack me up. Then you turn a sports thread into some sort of political rants ...for the 8-millionth time ...as if any of us give a rat's behind about your political or spiritual leanings. Listen Coach Heacock had defenses this good almost every year when he was head coach & we saw the post-season 1-time. All because he tried to hang on to the style of his former boss. Most of the people on this board have no idea who Tressel is outside of the former coach at Ohio State ... and the Pelini's are just former big time coaches on a big redemption tour. Stop hanging on names and look at production. Then hope that WVU is indeed the best offense that we will face in 2016 and my fear are just the rantings of a stupid old fan.

First Class FCS Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Nation View Post
    Again read what you highlighted. Yes Coach Montgomery is one of the top OC's in ALL DI. I said that Pelini as a head coach (because his offensive counterpart at LSU was outstanding) has never had anyone better.

My Team
    South Dakota State

Thumper. You obviously do not understand sarcasm? I said that he is NOT a running QB... and ...IF HE WAS A TRUE RUNNING QB AT HIS SIZE he would be playing at Clemson or one of the old Big East.

Stop worrying about attacking posters and read.
    Dude the problem is he can't pass. Has nothing to do with his running. If he could pass it wouldn't have taken till late in the game to pull away from a team that scored 3 points. The same team that Easton Stick lit up in the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!