First well publicized blow from the 12th game legislation going down, though expected. This would've been a great game for NDSU and Montana St. It's a shame to see it go to the side. Hopefully, we'll see continued efforts at staging quality OOC games in the Football Championship Subdivision...

Montana State opts out of game with NDSU
Associated Press

FARGO, N.D. - Montana State officially canceled its football game at North Dakota State next season, leaving Bison athletic director Gene Taylor scrambling for games.

The move came on the heels of legislation at the NCAA Convention in Orlando, Fla. A proposal to add a 12th game for Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) teams was defeated on Saturday. The measure needed 62 percent approval to pass, but got just 48 percent.

"I would say it was soundly defeated," Taylor said.

Montana State athletic director Peter Fields was in Orlando for the NCAA meeting Sunday and could not be reached for comment.

Without a 12th game, Montana State apparently will opt for another date with a Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly I-A) opponent. Coincidentally, NDSU may have to go the same route.

NDSU did not get to vote on the 12th game issue because it is in its Division I transition period. After being initially opposed to the proposal, Taylor said he had mixed feelings about it.

"I thought (12 games) would maybe open up some more I-AA opponents," he said.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sport...r/16405956.htm