Thread: almost airplane crashes in FCS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Ohio State

Re: almost airplane crashes in FCS

Quote Originally Posted by poly51 View Post
    John Madden did not like to fly because of claustrophobia which many people think was brought on by the Cal Poly football team plane crash of October 29, 1960. Madden had graduated from Poly in 1958 and had many teammates and friends on that plane. The crash was at Toledo Airport after the game between Cal Poly and Bowling Green. The charter plane took off in the fog and crashed on takeoff. 22 people were killed including 16 players. Former NFL, Southern Cal and San Diego State coach Ted Tollner was among the survivors.
    Thanks for the info.

I'd be curious to hear how coaches nowadays handle flying concerns with their players...while their potential players are being recruited knowing full well you can't travel by bus for most of the games for the given school trying to sign you.

You know darn well the players are trying to "suck it up" in front of their teammates when they board a plane for the first time. If you look at their faces they're pale.

I wonder how many of them are saying "Airplane" movie references on take off?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails airplane_flight_crew.jpg   airplane_flight_crew.jpg  
    Last edited by Boogs; May 1st, 2016 at 10:34 AM.