WORCESTER, Mass. – Holy Cross Athletics and head football coach Tom Gilmore have agreed in principle to a three-year contract extension, it was announced by athletic director Nathan Pine. The new contract will keep Gilmore on Mount St. James as head of the football program through the 2018 season.

"I'm pleased to publicly share the extension of Tom's contract as our head football coach," said Pine. "The extension reflects our confidence in Coach Gilmore, his leadership and his dedication to our student-athletes and this program. He has laid a solid foundation for the future of our program and I look forward to working with him to achieve success at all levels."

The Holy Cross football team currently has two classes of scholarship student-athletes, following the Patriot League's decision to allow football scholarships beginning in the fall of 2013. Coach Gilmore and his staff are currently recruiting the third scholarship class, which will arrive on campus next fall, and the program will reach the Patriot League limit of 60 scholarships in the fall of 2016. The Crusaders will return 15 of their 22 starters next season, including nine players who were members of the scholarship freshman and sophomore classes.

A two-time Patriot League Coach of the Year, Gilmore just concluded his 11th season at Holy Cross in 2014. He owns an overall record of 60-64 during his time with the Crusaders, including a 35-31 mark in conference games. Gilmore's squads have posted winning records in seven of his 11 seasons, including a 2009 campaign in which Holy Cross went 9-3 overall, won the Patriot League championship, advanced to the NCAA Playoffs and finished the year ranked 14th in the nation.

Four of Gilmore's players have earned All-America honors over the last 11 years, with the Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year coming from Holy Cross in four of the past 11 seasons. Gilmore has also led the Crusaders to four victories over ranked opponents.

"I am very appreciative of the commitment and support that Nathan Pine and Holy Cross have shown me," said Gilmore. "I am dedicated to returning Holy Cross to the top of the Patriot League, and look forward to many successful seasons in the years to come."

IMO...the new AD's hands were tied, HC is smack dab in the middle of returning to scholarship football, improvements in schedules, facilities etc Extension was granted to sort of settle the storm clouds hovering ovah Fitton Field.