http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in..._monmouth.html

Coming out of Bernards High last year, quarterback Devin Ray passed on scholarship offers from a handful of Division 1-AA schools. Instead, the Bedminster native chose to compete for playing time as a walk-on at Rutgers.
Ray got his opportunity this offseason, entering spring practice as one of five quarterbacks listed as co-starters on the depth chart. But as the spring progressed, Ray fell behind in the competition.

With senior Gary Nova the favorite to win the starting job and junior Mike Bimonte and redshirt Chris Laviano positioned as the top backups, Ray decided to transfer last week. He has landed at Monmouth, a Division 1-AA program in West Long Branch.

"I just want to get an opportunity to compete right away," Ray told NJ.com in a phone interview. "At Monmouth, I could possibly be the starter this upcoming year. It looks like Gary will be the starter, so I just don't want to waste another year of eligibility just being a backup."

Practice reps likely would have been in short supply, as Rutgers has six quarterbacks on the roster. In addition to Nova, Bimonte and Laviano, the Scarlet Knights added LSU transfer Hayden Rettig, freshman Giovanni Rescigno and Monmouth transfer Terence Scanlon to the quarterback depth chart this offseason.

"I'm not afraid of the competition," Ray said. "Obviously there's a lot of depth at the quarterback position, but it's hard to compete when there's so many guys. I would have been one of (seven) and that's not too functional for practice. I wouldn't be getting better by being there another year."...
More at the link