Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did Western Kentucky decide?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Major FCS Ruler

What did Western Kentucky decide?

I haven't following events very closed over the last month, so can someone tell me what decision WKU made. Are they going to the MAC or staying in 1AA?

Wink

They're moving to I-A with UMass and Texas St.

Quote Originally Posted by henfan
    Texas State - San Marcos is not going I-A. What kind of garbage is that? That's a pipe dream considering they can't even compete in I-AA football or I-A basketball in the SLC.

The Bobcats, if they get their act together and live up to expectations across the board, may be I-A in 10 years, but I think by that point, the face of college sports as we know it will change big time.
    -The Terror-

What the hell is I-A basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by txstman
    What the hell is I-A basketball?
    You know what I mean, Div I basketball. Jumping out of the SLC. They're already Div I basketball, but won't be going Sun Belt, C-USA, MWC or anywhere until they can prove valuable on football field and on the bball court.
    -The Terror-

Quote Originally Posted by henfan
    News to me. Guess I better get my seat now, because that move to I-A will bring massive amounts of people to the Bobcat Stadium on Saturday night. :rolleyes:

Guin, I understand what you mean on the I-A football thing but I don't think you're necessarily correct. Depends on how you look at it and what your standards are. However, since you don't want to discuss it...beyond that...I won't.

But I will say I think there are a lot of things people assume that are very often untrue. One is that a move to I-A from I-AA is likely to improve a school's financial situation. It's true that more goes in but it's also true that more goes out. Even the idea of more students goes according to that rule. If a school wants more students for the sake of having more students that's one thing. But having more students doesn't make a school better nor does it mean the school's expenditures-minus-expenses picture will improve.

I think a lot of people who want their schools to be I-A just for the sake of being I-A buy into the propaganda many Athletic Department officials who wish to improve their own position have issued. I will say that it's true that the name will probably get out more. But it's not true that that necessarily translates into a net benefit to the institution. There's a difference between improving the positions of school administrators and improving the position of the institution.

<<Again, IMHO, the mid-major conferences need to regionalize. WKU has no business in the MAC.>>

I'm just about positive that the MAC makes more geographic sense for WKU than the Sun Belt does. The reason I say that is that I actually looked at Middle Tennessee's possible tranfer to the MAC in that way. Believe it or not, there are at least three schools in the Sun Belt (the two Florida Schools and North Texas) that are farther from Middle Tennessee than the most distant school (Buffalo) in the MAC is. The average distance from Middle Tennesse to MAC schools is shorter than that to Sun Belt schools. Plus the MAC has divisions so that would cut the travel even more.

Looks like Bowling Green, Kentucky, is a little closer to all the MAC schools than Murfreesboro is so the same general thing would hold for WKU. If they were going to get into a I-A football conference it would make more sense...if they have the choice...to get into the MAC. Less distance involved and more prestige. In fact the difference in prestige would even increase because WKU probably has the top reputation over time among current Sun Belt basketball schools.

Anyway, if you pull a map of the US out and actually look at it you can see what I mean. About the only thing you could say is that there would be one school...Middle Tennessee...that would be closer to Bowling Green than any MAC school is. What would make even more sense geographically is if both Middle Tennessee and WKU went to the MAC. Then both would have a lot less overall distance to travel for conference competition.

Believe it or not, I was banned from one of the Sun Belt team boards for pointing out, when there was talk of MT going to the MAC, that the MAC is actually a better fit geographically for MT than the Sun Belt is. I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnStOnge
    <<Again, IMHO, the mid-major conferences need to regionalize. WKU has no business in the MAC.>>

I'm just about positive that the MAC makes more geographic sense for WKU than the Sun Belt does. The reason I say that is that I actually looked at Middle Tennessee's possible tranfer to the MAC in that way. Believe it or not, there are at least three schools in the Sun Belt (the two Florida Schools and North Texas) that are farther from Middle Tennessee than the most distant school (Buffalo) in the MAC is. The average distance from Middle Tennesse to MAC schools is shorter than that to Sun Belt schools. Plus the MAC has divisions so that would cut the travel even more.

Looks like Bowling Green, Kentucky, is a little closer to all the MAC schools than Murfreesboro is so the same general thing would hold for WKU. If they were going to get into a I-A football conference it would make more sense...if they have the choice...to get into the MAC. Less distance involved and more prestige. In fact the difference in prestige would even increase because WKU probably has the top reputation over time among current Sun Belt basketball schools.

Anyway, if you pull a map of the US out and actually look at it you can see what I mean. About the only thing you could say is that there would be one school...Middle Tennessee...that would be closer to Bowling Green than any MAC school is. What would make even more sense geographically is if both Middle Tennessee and WKU went to the MAC. Then both would have a lot less overall distance to travel for conference competition.

Believe it or not, I was banned from one of the Sun Belt team boards for pointing out, when there was talk of MT going to the MAC, that the MAC is actually a better fit geographically for MT than the Sun Belt is. I kid you not.
    Wow, they banned you b/c of that. They must really want WKU to stay in the Sun Belt.
    Major weight loss goals:
    Under 400 lbs by 2/1/2009 Achieved 2/24/09
    50 lbs lost by 2/1/2009 Achieved 2/24/09
    75 lbs lost by 5/1/2009 Achieved 7/6/09
    100 lbs lost Achieved 9/23/09
    175 lbs lost Achieved 12/16/10
    The 3 vanquished on 7/28/10
    The countdown to Bicentennial Clubbing 24 away!!

WW Members:
    wkuhillhound: -176
    catamount man: -68.8
    Tealblood: -40
    Uncle Buck: -36.8
    Appaholic: -36.6

Well, if I'm completely honest about it the guy banned me because he wanted me to quit talking about it. He warned me that if I continued to talk about it he'd ban me. Well, somebody countered my points so I countered back. I figure if I'm going to get banned for that I get banned for it. And I was banned for it.