With the NFL ratings coming out here is a I-AA player who has made a big leap up boards and looks primed for an All-American season.

#71 C PASCAL MATLA, EASTERN ILLINOIS, SR., 6042 310lbs, 5.44

Pascal is the leader on the offensive line as he returns for his third year as the starting center…2nd team All-OVC in 2004... he started nine games last year missing two due to injury…Pascal graded 85.5% blocking efficiency with 84 ‘knockdown’ blocks and allowed only two QB sacks…Pascal’s is likely to be the only collegiate football player in America who is from the Netherlands…his only previous experience was with a club team in his home country…”Pascal gives us excellent leadership,” said coach Hutson…”he’s improved his run blocking and is more physical overall so we’re counting on continued progress in his final season.”

BACKGROUND: Pascal played for the Zoetermeer Black Angels, a club team coached by Andre Pronk…they were national champs.

PERSONAL: Pascal graduated from high school in 1998 …entered EIU as a 22
year old freshman...business management major…Pascal’s No. 1 sports highlight was “being selected for Team Europe in 2001…the 36 best players
from Europe then played in a tournament in Tampa during Super Bowl week”… Pascal’s career objective is to “play professional football either in the NFL or NFL Europe”…enjoys listening to music…son of Hans Matla and Ellen Matla-Verhoef…credits his parents “for supporting me all the way from a youth team in Holland to a Division I college team in the United States”…coach Pascal most admires is Jeff Reinebold (NFL Europe) because “he knows how to coach and motivate players”…he enjoys listening to music and watching movies.

Look for Matla to be on some postseason All-American teams along with teammate CB Ben Brown and for him to possibly be drafted in the 4th-early 6th round area.