boonegoon
November 12th, 2011, 03:36 PM
What happened?

eagle07
November 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM
UPSET OF THE WEEK

phoenixphanatic21
November 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Elon finally played like Elon and didn't turn the ball over. Heck of an upset.

insideout08
November 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
What happened?

Defense couldn't stop them. Disappointing, but it wasn't a fluke. We need 2011 Florida to have a 1999 North Carolina showing against us next week.

whoanellie
November 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Elon stood up and kicked Furmans *** for the 4th year in a row!!!
cannot throw a Hail Mary vs the Fight'n Christians!!!

boonegoon
November 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Elon finally played like Elon and didn't turn the ball over. Heck of an upset.

Good for you guys. Bad for us next week.

eagle07
November 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Furman's defense looked like they were playing lights out last few weeks and then give up 41, well we will call if 34 because the pick 6...... this one is going to leave a bad taste in furman's mouth for a while

whoanellie
November 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hey after We beat you in '99 you rebounded and beat UNC good luck in the swamp!!

Defense couldn't stop them. Disappointing, but it wasn't a fluke. We need 2011 Florida to have a 1999 North Carolina showing against us next week.

insideout08
November 12th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Hey after We beat you in '99 you rebounded and beat UNC good luck in the swamp!!

Indeed. Do you think we can bring back Louis Ivory and our '99 OL for that game next week? ;-)

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
So much for "FU all the time."xlolx

ericsaid
November 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Florida's offense doesn't look all that great. Time to see what Steeds all about since Florida still is playing for a bowl bid. It won't be garbage time.

whoanellie
November 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM
well a fumble and scoop & score did put us down 7-0
Good for you guys. Bad for us next week.

phoenixphanatic21
Indeed. Do you think we can bring back Louis Ivory and our '99 OL for that game next week? ;-)

I sure hope so. Best of luck to guys next week!

MTfan4life
Teams like Indiana State, Central Arkansas, and Illinois State are loving this loss.

insideout08
November 12th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Elon's line play was also a HUGE factor in this game. Furman's running game was non-existent while Elon was able to run better than they have all year.

As good as Furman's line was against ASU last week, it was that bad this week.

Gringer1
November 12th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Elon's line play was also a HUGE factor in this game. Furman's running game was non-existent while Elon was able to run better than they have all year.

As good as Furman's line was against ASU last week, it was that bad this week.

Maybe Elon's coaches decided to run the ball more after they heard about a few well articulated tweets urging more rushing attempts.

insideout08
November 12th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Maybe Elon's coaches decided to run the ball more after they heard about a few well articulated tweets urging more rushing attempts.

Ha. They had 44 carries and none by that guy.

Gringer1
November 12th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Ha. They had 44 carries and none by that guy.

He fell on the sword to help his fellow running backs. A truly noble warrior of twitter.

fc97
November 12th, 2011, 03:57 PM
i think this shows that the socon from 1 to 8 is full of pretty good teams

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Who are the OOC wins or do you just beat each other? Other than Chatty, you have beaten absolutely no one. Getting killed in a money game proves nothing. I agree a great competitive league, but what shows the So Con is better than any other league?

I-85 Paladin
November 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Defense was AWOL, offense was inconsistent and one of the few times we stopped them, we decide to rough the kicker.

ElonPride
November 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Good game Furman.

I wish I could've been at this one.

I do have to say, I've only made two predictions all year. This game was the second, and I think I was the only person that picked Elon to win. xthumbsupx

K-Pac
November 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM
CHOKE !! bahahahahaha xlolx

SpeedkingATL
November 12th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Elon plays the spoiler. The App visit to Elon just got a lot more interesting. Certainly no gimmies in the SoCon this year except the awful Whee Cats. Nice win Elon.

Dallas Demon
November 12th, 2011, 10:15 PM

Could it also mean that it is full of average teams if everyone is beating each other?

StorminASU
November 13th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Could it also mean that it is full of average teams if everyone is beating each other?

That what playoffs are for, but I wouldnt bet on it.

blueballs
November 13th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Who are the OOC wins or do you just beat each other? Other than Chatty, you have beaten absolutely no one. Getting killed in a money game proves nothing. I agree a great competitive league, but what shows the So Con is better than any other league?

Well, we'll sure see in a couple of weeks. Having seen the conference up close it is up overall and there are some really good teams who won't get in- ala Chatty. The eyeballs don't lie. There are ton of good players in the SoCon and the coaching is excellent. The defensive groups at GSU, App, Wofford, and Chatty are top notch and even the mid tier of teams like Furman, ELON, Citadel, Samford have weapons and play hard and physical.

I can say this with no reservation whatsoever... GSU made the semi-finals last year and they weren't anywhere near as good as they are this year, night and day really- bigger, faster, deeper, more experienced, more weapons, and will have home field this year.

But we'll see in a few weeks...

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I am fine with that, thankfully it all plays out on the field rather than polls and anyone with a reasonable shot gets their chance. I would much rather my team be an AQ with an 8-3 record than a 10-1 record, but the politics of scheduling and travel costs make it tough

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Way to go F-in Christians !!!!!

Apphole
November 13th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Elon has never and will never beat Appalachian State in football. That is all. I'm excited to go back to a black and gold filled Kidd Brewer East next week.

Humble Steward
November 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks Elon!!! That was a great win.

ElonPride
November 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Elon has never and will never beat Appalachian State in football. That is all. I'm excited to go back to a black and gold filled Kidd Brewer East next week.

Umm....wanna go back and check your stats there bub?

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Umm....wanna go back and check your stats there bub?

It has been a while (last Elon win was in '65 I think?) but we have lost to y'all before.

OL FU
November 14th, 2011, 05:09 AM

I agree it wasn't a fluke , they ran the ball, we couldn't. I told a friend the night before, my biggest fear is they would finally put together a passing game without an interception and their only interception served as a punt at the end of the game. Elon was better prepared, executed better and flat out played better than the Paladins. It was scary from the start and only got worse as the game progressed.

OL FU
November 14th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Elon stood up and kicked Furmans *** for the 4th year in a row!!!
cannot throw a Hail Mary vs the Fight'n Christians!!!

Are you our new ASU:o

OL FU
November 14th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Are you a fan of a Patriot league teamxlolx

fc97
November 14th, 2011, 06:39 AM
elonpride, he is right

elon didn't beat appalachian state, they beat watauga teachers college or appalachian state teachers college some joke college of that name or something

there are some real jerk app fans on this board that love to kick fans when they are down

moving to fbs is going to be really hard on those types to handle

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I agree it wasn't a fluke , they ran the ball, we couldn't. I told a friend the night before, my biggest fear is they would finally put together a passing game without an interception and their only interception served as a punt at the end of the game. Elon was better prepared, executed better and flat out played better than the Paladins. It was scary from the start and only got worse as the game progressed.

Never looked good in this one. Going into this one I thought Furman would either have blown the doors off, or gotten into one of those dog fights a la Samford. I was hoping for the former, but we got the latter.

Frankly, if you hald told me Forcier would have 344 yards passing with three touchdowns, I'd have told you Furman won by four touchdowns. Give Elon credit, though. They didn't let Furman run the ball.

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Still, to put this in perspective, Furman was a heckuva lot tougher in the first year under a new staff than any of us expected. Going into the season most FU fans circled the Elon and Samford games as tough ones we will have to show up for. Never thought we'd beat App and Wofford the way we did.

Tough for the seniors to go out like this on their last home game. I still feel pretty good about the way Furman is heading, though.

OL FU
November 14th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Never looked good in this one. Going into this one I thought Furman would either have blown the doors off, or gotten into one of those dog fights a la Samford. I was hoping for the former, but we got the latter.

Frankly, if you hald told me Forcier would have 344 yards passing with three touchdowns, I'd have told you Furman won by four touchdowns. Give Elon credit, though. They didn't let Furman run the ball.

Other than PC, we haven't won when Forcier has that kind of passing game. That's isn't a knock on Forcier, it is the game plan we have laid out. If we are passing that much, things aren't going well defensively or the other team has stopped us from executing them main game plan which is rushing the ball.

Anywoo, I agree. The team outperformed on occassions that I would have said were a loss at the start of the year and underperformed on games I thought were going to be tough but would be a win. Alot of that is the team growing up again.

Apphole
November 14th, 2011, 08:38 AM
elonpride, he is right

elon didn't beat appalachian state, they beat watauga teachers college or appalachian state teachers college some joke college of that name or something

there are some real jerk app fans on this board that love to kick fans when they are down

I enjoy kicking fans when they're down, but I don't think moving to varsity is going to be hard to handle. I'm prepared to stomach 5 win seasons to play some big timers at home.

fc97
November 14th, 2011, 08:42 AM
you're a sad little boy

Apphole
November 14th, 2011, 08:44 AM
you're a sad little boy

See ya at KBS east xpeacex

theasushow
November 14th, 2011, 08:56 AM

the game is at elon.

SoCon48
November 14th, 2011, 08:57 AM
elonpride, he is right

That joke college beat Eloan 29 times out of 39 games. That's just 9 wins for the Fighting Atheists and none as Phoenix. 9 wins in 73 years.

So, who is the joke?

SoCon48
November 14th, 2011, 08:58 AM
the game is at elon.

That's what he meant by Kidd Brewer East.

344Johnson
November 14th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Devil's Advocate could say that 1-8 are a bunch of average teams.

elon77
November 14th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I enjoy kicking fans when they're down, but I don't think moving to varsity is going to be hard to handle. I'm prepared to stomach 5 win seasons to play some big timers at home.

Just wondering who you think the big timers will be? I don't mean anything by this question, but just wondering. Troy, Western Kentucky, Marshall, East Carolina ( this would probably be a pretty good home and home every year) . Just asking. You pretty much sell out KB when Socon teams come to town, would the same fan base support ASU if Central Michigan came to town?

Rekdiver
November 14th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I'd say that Furman had an ASU hangover.....(shaking head)

AppAlum2003
November 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Devil's Advocate could say that 1-8 are a bunch of average teams.

Ugh... we hear this every single year and then the SoCon continually wins games in the playoffs. Just because SoCon teams don't play a strong OOC schedule doesn't mean they're all "average." You're over-simplifying it.

fc97
November 14th, 2011, 09:53 AM
why are so many app people talking in the elon furman thread

i don't get it

elon77
November 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM

i don't get it

All threads are App threads. It's a unwritten law. You will soon find out.

SpeedkingATL
November 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I was actually hoping Furman would win over Elon for 2 reasons:

1-Would rather see a SoCon team make the playoffs (Furman) than another from the MVC or CAA.
2-Would rather App play Elon this week with Elon coming off a loss rather than gaining confidence by beating Furple.

Heres hoping the near impossible happens and Furman pulls the upset against Florida. App came close a few years back and this Florida team isn't exactly a powerhouse SEC team this year. Furman beat UNC a few years ago so why not Florida this year. They've certainly got the motavation.

(fixed it)

B&G
November 14th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Well, the thread WAS started by an App fan. He was simply wondering what happened to Furman. Although I could have easily explained it was a letdown game for FU... just as the FU game was tailor-made to be a letdown game for App after they beat Georgia Southern. Will the vicious cycle continue as Elon plays ASU?

Even though Furman "choked", I would think that Paladin fans have to be very encouraged with this season and feel that the team is headed in the right direction. I'm interested to hear how some of the Elon fans would classify this season and if they feel they are on the right path for the future.

phoenix3
November 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I was actually hoping Furman would win over Elon for 2 reasons:

1-Would rather see a SoCon team make the playoffs (Furman) than another from the MVC or CAA.
2-Would rather App play Elon this week with Elon coming off a loss rather than gaining confidence by beating Furple.

Heres hoping the near impossible happens and Furman pulls the upset against Auburn. App came close a few years back and this Auburn team isn't exactly a powerhouse SEC team this year. Furman beat UNC a few years ago so why not Auburn this year. They've certainly got the motavation.

If Furman beats Auburn next weekend they will be a shoe in for the playoffs, especially since they're playing Florida...

OL FU
November 14th, 2011, 10:50 AM

i don't get it

Because we are all football fans.

OL FU
November 14th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Well, the thread WAS started by an App fan. He was simply wondering what happened to Furman. Although I could have easily explained it was a letdown game for FU... just as the FU game was tailor-made to be a letdown game for App after they beat Georgia Southern. Will the vicious cycle continue as Elon plays ASU?

Even though Furman "choked", I would think that Paladin fans have to be very encouraged with this season and feel that the team is headed in the right direction. I'm interested to hear how some of the Elon fans would classify this season and if they feel they are on the right path for the future.

I think most Furman fans are "happy" with the season. We ain't what we used to be but it appears to be headed in the right direction. Not really want to be talking about next year, but I am a little concerned that we might be little lower than this year but I am not sure. With the exception of the GSU game, the Samford game and the Elon game - the defense played quite well and that has been our bugaboo since 2004. (yep even during the 2005 season, we basically outscored people and we haven't had a quality defense since 2004 except for a good part of this year). If the D can continue to improve, I think we hold our own next year at least.

Now with all that said, Florida is up next.

Apphole
November 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM

i don't get it

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?84331-Why-are-Elon-fans-so-annoying

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I think most Furman fans are "happy" with the season. We ain't what we used to be but it appears to be headed in the right direction. Not really want to be talking about next year, but I am a little concerned that we might be little lower than this year but I am not sure. With the exception of the GSU game, the Samford game and the Elon game - the defense played quite well and that has been our bugaboo since 2004. (yep even during the 2005 season, we basically outscored people and we haven't had a quality defense since 2004 except for a good part of this year). If the D can continue to improve, I think we hold our own next year at least.

Now with all that said, Florida is up next.

I have no qualms with that assessment. It certainly stands to reason that our record next season will rely heavily on our schedule. When the schedule came out this spring, I didn't think we'd have a snowball's chance of a winning record if we didn't win our first five games (we won three). While its a dissapointing end to the conference slate, you have to be somewhat happy with a winning record and wins over two top five teams.

I think if Furman had beaten Elon and Samford, had lost close ones to Wofford and App, and still ended up 6-5, we'd have a more positive outlook. It's never pleasant to lose to a team you feel you should have beaten.

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Nothing happened to Furman. Furman played their guts out and couldn't get it done against a good Elon team. File this under "growing pains."

I imagine App State will need to be on their game next weekend. Elon has shot themselves in the foot repeatedly with turnovers, but they pretty much had their way with a Furman defense that smothered the Mountaineers on the same field the previous weekend.

Furman is trending in the right direction. Furman came into the season very thin on the offensive and defensive fronts, and their kicking game has been as poor as you can imagine. I expect you'll see a renewed focus in those two areas this offseason.

Apphole
November 14th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Nothing happened to Furman. Furman played their guts out and couldn't get it done against a good Elon team. File this under "growing pains."

I imagine App State will need to be on their game next weekend. Elon has shot themselves in the foot repeatedly with turnovers, but they pretty much had their way with a Furman defense that smothered the Mountaineers on the same field the previous weekend.

Furman is trending in the right direction. Furman came into the season very thin on the offensive and defensive fronts, and their kicking game has been as poor as you can imagine. I expect you'll see a renewed focus in those two areas this offseason.

So 400 yard total offense is being smothered? If any feet were being shot during the last 2 weeks of football, it was App shooting ourselves in the foot not being able to turn 5-6 trips to the redzone into more points. The play calling in those situations cost us a 7th straight SoCon championship. We will beat Eloan by 3 TD's and order will be restored to the universe.

OL FU
November 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
So 400 yard total offense is being smothered? If any feet were being shot during the last 2 weeks of football, it was App shooting ourselves in the foot not being able to turn 5-6 trips to the redzone into more points. The play calling in those situations cost us a 7th straight SoCon championship. We will beat Eloan by 3 TD's and order will be restored to the universe.

You scored ten points. I remember a Rhode Island team that gained over 600 yards and didn't score twice .Yes you were smotheredxlolx

Apphole
November 14th, 2011, 11:51 AM
You scored ten points. I remember a Rhode Island team that gained over 600 yards and didn't score twice .Yes you were smotheredxlolx

So your D is just that good then I guess. They knew they could stop App at will, so they let us roll all over them until we were in the red zone. That's when your boys buckled down and did what they had no problem doing the rest of the game. It had nothing to do with our coaches' refusal to call pass plays when that was obviously what was working for us all day. You will have plenty of time to brood on these delusions while App is in the playoffs. I'm glad you enjoy exaggerating your team's performance in the last game App will every play at Paladin Stadium. Good day to you sir.

eaglewraith
November 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM

That's already happened.

As the Southern Conference Commissioner stated on Saturday, "The return of a long standing tradition.....Georgia Southern, 2011 Champions, Southern Conference!" :)

StorminASU
November 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
That's already happened.

As the Southern Conference Commissioner stated on Saturday, "The return of a long standing tradition.....Georgia Southern, 2011 Champions, Southern Conference!" :)

That begs a question that has been on my mind; What is it about 7 in a row that is so hard to get? I'm very happy we got the six we did, I just don't understand how ASU and GSU both failed to get #7. It seems like one of us could have squeaked out another Socon title. Oh well. Congratulations btw. I hate to say it but I'm glad you all are back. Hopefully we return to form next year too.

eaglewraith
November 14th, 2011, 12:22 PM
That begs a question that has been on my mind; What is it about 7 in a row that is so hard to get? I'm very happy we got the six we did, I just don't understand how ASU and GSU both failed to get #7. It seems like one of us could have squeaked out another Socon title. Oh well. Congratulations btw. I hate to say it but I'm glad you all are back. Hopefully we return to form next year too.

It's just hard to stay on top. Eventually you slide off the top of the hill and have to figure out a new way to get up there. We've been through this process a couple of times, App is just now starting to experience the same thing.

Apphole
November 14th, 2011, 12:42 PM

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

I still can't believe we choked away the record against a washed up, off season bound Furple team. xconfusedx

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2011, 03:38 PM
So your D is just that good then I guess. They knew they could stop App at will, so they let us roll all over them until we were in the red zone. That's when your boys buckled down and did what they had no problem doing the rest of the game. It had nothing to do with our coaches' refusal to call pass plays when that was obviously what was working for us all day. You will have plenty of time to brood on these delusions while App is in the playoffs. I'm glad you enjoy exaggerating your team's performance in the last game App will every play at Paladin Stadium. Good day to you sir.

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe you can start a new sport where the winner is the team that has the most yards and doesn't score. Call it "soccer" or something.

asumike83
November 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Obviously the only thing that matters for a defense is keeping points off the board. Y'all did that by clamping down in the red zone and forcing turnovers, which was a really great defensive performance.

However, I can see his point that we were not exactly smothered. We moved the ball well (Jackson passed for over 300 I believe), we just could not punch it in. Again, that takes nothing away from the FU defense last week, they did their job.

OL FU
November 14th, 2011, 05:05 PM

You scored 10 points. you can have as many yards as you like.

OL FU
November 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Obviously the only thing that matters for a defense is keeping points off the board. Y'all did that by clamping down in the red zone and forcing turnovers, which was a really great defensive performance.

However, I can see his point that we were not exactly smothered. We moved the ball well (Jackson passed for over 300 I believe), we just could not punch it in. Again, that takes nothing away from the FU defense last week, they did their job.

I could see his point too if he wasn't an asshole:D But he is, so I can't

proasu89
November 15th, 2011, 07:30 AM
xlolx

PaladinFan
November 15th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I could see his point too if he wasn't an asshole:D But he is, so I can't

Did you edit out the snarky, or edit it in? :)

OL FU
November 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Did you edit out the snarky, or edit it in? :)

I am a sloppy typer. I just changed "to" to "too":o

SoCon48
November 15th, 2011, 08:44 AM
All threads are App threads. It's a unwritten law. You will soon find out.

This is a Furman and App thread. This is what happens if you don't use it..you lose it.

SoCon48
November 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM

"Smothered" and "losing" are two different things.

phoenix3
November 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM
This is a Furman and App thread. This is what happens if you don't use it..you lose it.

By all means, continue suh...

OL FU
November 15th, 2011, 08:50 AM
"Smothered" and "losing" are two different things.

My post was a specifically targeted one

fc97
November 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM
in other words if it is a socon thread it is for app

AppAlum2003
November 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah, why would App fans care about a score from a game that features our next opponent? Sorry, everyone... App fans, c'mon... Let's head over to Price Park or play some frisbee golf or something... Leave the adults to have their conversation.

biggie
November 15th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I'll bring the hackie sack, hookah, and bongos.