PDA

View Full Version : Do you CSTV?

walliver
May 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
With all the discussion about CSTV, which is unavailable on my cable system and many others, I decided to start a poll to see how many of us can actually get CSTV.

OL FU
May 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM
With all the discussion about CSTV, which is unavailable on my cable system and many others, I decided to start a poll to see how many of us can actually get CSTV.

I don't have it, but Bailey's, Sharkey's and Wild Wings do:D

Pard4Life
May 11th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I have Comcast. They are awful... $50+ a month and they have horrible channels.

Umass74
May 11th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I have Dish Network satellite.

It has CSTV, ESPNU, ESPN, ESPN2 and the Fox regional sports.

89Hen
May 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM
:nod: :nonono2: I've e-mailed them a dozen times over the last couple years asking how it is that they have a channel (CN8) out of Philly that they send to Boston, Philly, Delaware, Baltimore, Richmond, etc... that I can't get as a Comcast subsriber in the DC area. I finally got an answer and it was pretty much what I expected. Some bull****e about local regulations/FCC/blah blah blah.... I told them it was amazing that I seemed to be in the only county on the East coast that this rule applied... no response.

colgate13
May 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I voted No, but you forgot a fourth option: I don't get cable!

Coastal89
May 11th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I watch CSTV online , just go here then click on sports tv and scroll down to USA.
http://wwitv.com/portal.htm?http://wwitv.com/television/12.htm

DUPFLFan
May 11th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I'm voting for Option 4

No - no team that I am rooting for is ever on it.

jstate83
May 11th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Got it................watch it every week.

Got a extra SAT. box and dish............getting a generator this summer.:D

That bad boy is comming to Memorial with me this fall for the tailgates.
Pole in ground, dish on pole, clear line of sight everywhere, plug in..............Tailgates gonna take on new meaning watching College Gameday at 9am, then the games all the way to kickoff at 6:30 pm.:hurray:

WYOBISONMAN
May 11th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I have CSTV, but it sure seems that the coverage of DI-AA has been greatly diminished on there......

putter
May 11th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I have CSTV, but it sure seems that the coverage of DI-AA has been greatly diminished on there......

I agree and while the overall coverage is much better than 5 years ago, I really had high hopes that CSTV would be a real advocate for I-AA. Now CBS ownes them and we will take another backseat to I-A. :(

carney2
May 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I'm sure that this is not the answer that you want, but I don't care. In my part of the world, if you subscribe to the right cable company (RCN in this case) you get all of the Lafayette games - home and away - live and then again on replay Monday evening.

Marcus Garvey
May 11th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I agree and while the overall coverage is much better than 5 years ago, I really had high hopes that CSTV would be a real advocate for I-AA. Now CBS ownes them and we will take another backseat to I-A. :(

Everyone feel free to get pissed at these comments:

Of course CSTV is going to backpedal from I-AA now that they've got I-A conferences lined up. The whole purpose of having a TV network is to make money. The average college football viewer doesn't give :twocents: about I-AA football teams they've never even heard of. I-A games give them more viewers. More viewers equals more money for ads which equals more profit.

Of course they're going to bump N'Western St.-Stephen F. Austin for UTEP-Tulsa. It's a no-brainer.

It's naive for anyone to think a network will devote significant coverage to I-AA football. Maybe, with prolonged exposure, the ratings will rise. However, no network will incur the low profits/losses during that period while they have other alternatives.

FYI: I have Cox "Expanded Basic" which doesn't include CSTV for the Tucson area. I have seen CSTV in Phoenix before. I don't know what package the hotel I was staying in had though.

89Hen
May 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'm In my part of the world, if you subscribe to the right cable company
You have a choice?

Marcus Garvey
May 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM
You have a choice?

I'll bet you Carney is in Eastern PA, probably the Lehigh Valley. Virtually everywhere in Lehigh and Northampton Counties, and possibly parts of Carbon as well, viewers can choose between 2 and sometimes 3 cable companies.

That area has had cable TV for decades. Poor reception of the Philly, New York and Scranton/WB stations prompted some enterprising people to build antennas and string "cable" (hence the name) along power lines and then sell the reception service. My grandmother lived in South Bethlehem off of Wyondotte Hill and she had cable ever since she got her first TV in the 50's.

You see, the problem is that VHF and UHF signals are NLOS (nearly line of sight) and if...... oh why bore everyone! ;)

Pard4Life
May 11th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I'll bet you Carney is in Eastern PA, probably the Lehigh Valley. Virtually everywhere in Lehigh and Northampton Counties, and possibly parts of Carbon as well, viewers can choose between 2 and sometimes 3 cable companies.

That area has had cable TV for decades. Poor reception of the Philly, New York and Scranton/WB stations prompted some enterprising people to build antennas and string "cable" (hence the name) along power lines and then sell the reception service. My grandmother lived in South Bethlehem off of Wyondotte Hill and she had cable ever since she got her first TV in the 50's.

You see, the problem is that VHF and UHF signals are NLOS (nearly line of sight) and if...... oh why bore everyone! ;)

RCN is an excellent station btw. The competition is great.

New Jersey is HORRIBLE. It is dominated by Comcast in the northeast. You are not even allowed to chose subscribers. The town you live in selects the cable company. My town has Comcast.. the next one has Cablevision. Both are not that great. Cablevision doesn't even carry OLN so no hockey games.. and didn't carry Yankee games because of a fued with YES. So, subscribers could not even switch to Comcast to get Yankee games.

Speaking of Comcast, they are a good station for I-AA despite my hate for them in everything else. They usually televise an I-AA game every week or every other week. I've seen Villanova and UPenn on often. Princeton once in awhile.. they had Lafayette-Princeton in 2002.. maybe this year. However when Delaware is on, we DO NOT get the game.. I have no clue why. Even when they wre in the playoffs in 2004.. you'd think it'd be on regardless of the location since it's the only game around... well nope, not on in NJ. Thankfully I was there though.

Comcast should pick up Lehigh and Lafayette since it's virtually in their markets, but I don't think Comcast is in the LV.

NoCoDanny
May 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I get this but what I don't get is ESPNU.

carney2
May 11th, 2006, 02:30 PM
You have a choice?

Yes.

P2TheB
May 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Mediacom offers CSTV, FSC Atlantic, FSC Central, and FSC Pacific for an additional $3.95/month.

Granite
May 11th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Here's a question for those of you who have Comcast's digital cable package (like I do) - if you buy that "Sports Package" that they advertise (basically the Fox SportsNet channels), is CSTV included? Does anyone pay extra for this service? If you subscribe, do you think its worth it? I haven't checked the package out in any depth, so I'm not sure.

Living in NH, we get a reasonable amount of I-AA games on CN8 - the I-AA doubleheaders are great - usually an A-10/CAA game and an Ivy League game paired together. But it would be awesome to also have the CSTV option as well.

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I bought DirecTV so I picked the third option...

Still haven't decided on what's going to happen in terms of buying the sports package that will bring with it CSTV and the Fox regionals, ESPNU, etc...

LeopardFan04
May 11th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Comcast should pick up Lehigh and Lafayette since it's virtually in their markets, but I don't think Comcast is in the LV.

I think it's just Service Electric and RCN...it's great that there's a choice...

where I am it's only Comcast, they do actually show some CSTV programming, but it's usually on random channels at random times...and it always seems to be a utep/tulsa game...:rolleyes:

Mountain Panther
May 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Your poll is extemely biased in favor of DirecTV. I work at DISH Network and we have had CSTV available as long as DirecTV. Please change option three to "I'm going to get a satellite system to view CSTV" or something along those lines. Are you getting a kick-back from DirecTV to advertise their name? :eyebrow: j/k

The best way to get every single game possible is to get it all - ESPNU, CSTV, all the Fox Regional Sports, ESPN Game Plan as well as the regulars like ESPN & ESPN2. Expensive but worth it.

NoCoDanny
May 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Here's a question for those of you who have Comcast's digital cable package (like I do) - if you buy that "Sports Package" that they advertise (basically the Fox SportsNet channels), is CSTV included? Does anyone pay extra for this service? If you subscribe, do you think its worth it? I haven't checked the package out in any depth, so I'm not sure.

I have Comcast digital here in Denver and for me it's like $5.00 a month additional and I get CSTV, Fox College East, Central, and West, and the NBA, and NFL network. So yeah, I like it. I just want ESPNU also.

walliver
May 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Your poll is extemely biased in favor of DirecTV. I work at DISH Network and we have had CSTV available as long as DirecTV. Please change option three to "I'm going to get a satellite system to view CSTV" or something along those lines. Are you getting a kick-back from DirecTV to advertise their name?

No I don't get kick-backs. The main purpose of the poll was just to see how many people on the board actually get CSTV. I originally thought about just putting down the "yes" and "no" options, but was curious to see if anyone was going to get satellite service just to watch the I-AA game of the week. I haven't looked at the satellite lineups lately and didn't know what channels are on DISH.

If you are offering kick-backs maybe I can change it to DISH network:smiley_wi

Actually, I can't figure out how to edit the answer (I don't think it is allowed). I assume that if people were allowed to change answers that someone could swithc "yes" and "no" and get spurious results, sorry.

I will be moving soon and leaving Charter Cable. If you can find some way to get CSS (I doubt if comcast/charter would allow that), I might switch to satellite.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Living in NH, we get a reasonable amount of I-AA games on CN8 - the I-AA doubleheaders are great - usually an A-10/CAA game and an Ivy League game paired together. But it would be awesome to also have the CSTV option as well.

I have Comcast here in Central CT and had to buy a "Sports Package" in order to get CSTV. It's a few bucks extra a month and also includes a bunch of Fox College Sports channels as well as NFL and NBA channels. Right now I'm not sure it is worth it, but during the college seasons, yes it is. I have to admit that I've watched a few lacrosse games on CSTV that I normally wouldn't have seen.

I've found many replays of I-AA games televised that were previously broadcast only in certain geographic areas or concurrent with the game I was interested in (CN8 A-10 game of the week). I had to really look at the online schedule to ascertain this info because these games were often on during the night or on Monday/Tuesday.

The missing link is ESPNU! I'm trying to decide whether or not to switch to DishTV to gain ESPNU without losing CSTV or the Fox channels (and save some $$$$). I can't really quantify how much I'd be losing without CN8! I don't know how many of those games might end up on ESPNU or on replay on one of the Fox College networks?????

DaGriz
May 12th, 2006, 03:02 PM

You should look into DirecTV or Dish. I have DirecTV. I think I pay $45 a month plus $10 for the sports package.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 13th, 2006, 06:13 PM
How can I???? Every time I attempt to there's an LSU rerun :bang:

If I see another tiger I'm going on a tiger genocide hunt.

igo4uni
May 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM
How can I???? Every time I attemt to there's an LSU rerun :bang:

If I see another tiger I'm going on a tiger genocide hunt.

Do tell..........what is a snowbuff??????????????

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 13th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Do tell..........what is a snowbuff??????????????

Some dumb nickname someone (Nebraska Fan) made about me being a Colorado fan in Louisiana.

Since Colorado won the Big 12 in 02 (and pasted Nebraska 62-36 in the process), I let it stick.

Mountain Panther
May 14th, 2006, 10:06 AM
If you are offering kick-backs maybe I can change it to DISH network:smiley_wi

No kick-backs available but I could get you a coupon!

And now, a shameless plug:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/images/template/dishlogo.gif
www.dishnetwork.com