PDA

View Full Version : CSJ: At-Large Eligibility: 25 Teams Fighting for Shot at Playoffs

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/86-playoff-eligibility-week-11

Everyone wants to know this time of year: Can my team make the FCS playoffs?

Rather than let confusion reign, I decided to spell it all out in black and white: which teams are eligible for the postseason, and which are not.

14 teams have qualified already
4 teams cannot be eligible for an at-large but could win the conference autobid
25 teams have a chance to become playoff-eligible

xchinscratchx xrotatehx

nwFL Griz
November 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I appreciate the analaysis, but why include the PFL and SWAC? Does anyone really think any team, from either of those 2 conferences, has done enough to warrant consideration? I think not.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I appreciate the analaysis, but why include the PFL and SWAC? Does anyone really think any team, from either of those 2 conferences, has done enough to warrant consideration? I think not.

That's a judgement call. The fact remains that if they get to 7 D-I wins and haven't disqualified themselves, they are eligible to be selected.

nwFL Griz
November 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM
That's a judgement call. The fact remains that if they get to 7 D-I wins and haven't disqualified themselves, they are eligible to be selected.

Fair enough, but I think it is more helpful to deal with reality. Reality says if a one-loss J'ville team doesn't get in last year, none of those are getting in this year.

URMite
November 8th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Isn't Jackson State ineligible this year?

And why couldn't you have posted this an hour earlier, so I wouldn't have needed my OVC post, lol.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Isn't Jackson State ineligible this year?

And why couldn't you have posted this an hour earlier, so I wouldn't have needed my OVC post, lol.

You're correct. I'll move them to the "ineligible" list. Thanks for reminding me.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Made some other updates. Boy, those MEAC playoff scenarios are tough to navigate!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Fair enough, but I think it is more helpful to deal with reality. Reality says if a one-loss J'ville team doesn't get in last year, none of those are getting in this year.

That may be so but you have to put them in as eligible if they are eligible and let the reader figure out what they presume to happen. They may be quickly cast aside by the committee but nonetheless they will have a chip and a chair at the table.