PDA

View Full Version : If there is only one At-Large bid left and these are your options...

URMite
November 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
...how would you rank them?

Indiana St...7-4
C Arkansas..8-3
Youngstown St7-4
James Madison7-4
Georgetown....8-3
Southern Utah.7-4
Jacksonville St.7-4
Duquesne.......9-2

MTfan4life
November 8th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I take the CAA above anyone else. If James gets to 7 wins, they're in, IMO.

Tod
November 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I take the CAA above anyone else. If James gets to 7 wins, they're in, IMO.

James? That's Mr. President to you, pal! ;)

As far as the question goes, I have no idea. But it won't come down to that, either.

Engineer86
November 8th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Man, when you look at the schedules, there are a lot of warts there. I would have to say YSU has the best win cause to get there. They must beat NDSU and don't have a real bad loss. Second choice would be UCA, but I don't view their schedule as overly strong. Early in the season, I thought JMU was scary, but they have lost each big test they have faced since then, so it is hard to put them in.

superman7515
November 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM
1) Youngstown State (to get to 7 they'd have to knock of North Dakota State and have a win over Illinois State who should be in as well)
2) James Madison (only losses were to FBS and playoff teams, but stronger FCS schedule than Central Arkansas and beat a possible AQ in Liberty)
3) Central Arkansas (took an FBS to overtime but playing a D2 and no wins over playoff teams drops them below JMU, but if Stony Brook gets the AQ over Liberty, I'd be open to flipping UCA & JMU)
4) Southern Utah (only 1-3 in their own conference made me want to move them below Indiana State, but all three of them have winning records and to get to 7 wins they'd have a win over an FBS and at Northern Iowa with a 4 game win streak, my concern is their Jeckyl & Hyde play)
5) Indiana State (no knocking the good win over Western Kentucky, but the rest of wins were lackluster, only 2 points over Youngstown with the same record at Indiana State)
6) Jacksonville State (best win is Tennessee-Martin, got blown up by what will end up the #5 or #6 team in the SoCon, so I have reason to doubt they would be competitive)
7) Georgetown (best win will end up over 6-5 Howard, best case scenario for the Patriot is for Lehigh to lay down for Georgetown, Lehigh has a better resume)
8) Duquesne (just doesn't have the solid wins to pass any of the teams over them)

danefan
November 8th, 2011, 02:27 PM
1) Youngstown State (to get to 7 they'd have to knock of North Dakota State and have a win over Illinois State who should be in as well)
2) James Madison (only losses were to FBS and playoff teams, but stronger FCS schedule than Central Arkansas and beat a possible AQ in Liberty)
3) Central Arkansas (took an FBS to overtime but playing a D2 and no wins over playoff teams drops them below JMU, but if Stony Brook gets the AQ over Liberty, I'd be open to flipping UCA & JMU)
4) Southern Utah (only 1-3 in their own conference made me want to move them below Indiana State, but all three of them have winning records and to get to 7 wins they'd have a win over an FBS and at Northern Iowa with a 4 game win streak, my concern is their Jeckyl & Hyde play)
5) Indiana State (no knocking the good win over Western Kentucky, but the rest of wins were lackluster, only 2 points over Youngstown with the same record at Indiana State)
6) Jacksonville State (best win is Tennessee-Martin, got blown up by what will end up the #5 or #6 team in the SoCon, so I have reason to doubt they would be competitive)
7) Georgetown (best win will end up over 6-5 Howard, best case scenario for the Patriot is for Lehigh to lay down for Georgetown, Lehigh has a better resume)
8) Duquesne (just doesn't have the solid wins to pass any of the teams over them)

I agree with this except I'd probably flip Georgetown and Duquesne. Dukes will have 1 more DI win (ask W&M how important that is).

URMite
November 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Nice Analysis! I agree 1) is unlikely but...
And I think 2) & 3) are close to equal as are 4) & 5)

I probably should have included Murray St.

URMite
November 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Here is what I thought might be the other 19:

Montana State
Montana
Stony Brook/Liberty winner
Towson
New Hampshire
Maine
Old Dominion
Norfolk State
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
Illinois State
Albany
Eastern Kentucky
Lehigh
Georgia Southern
Wofford
Furman
Appalachian State
Sam Houston State

URMite
November 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
James? That's Mr. President to you, pal! ;)

As far as the question goes, I have no idea. But it won't come down to that, either.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean some of these teams won't have the record stated? You are probably right. Do you mean more or less than one of these teams will get in? I'm not so sure...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
This article details all the at-large team possibilities:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/86-playoff-eligibility-week-11

BEAR
November 8th, 2011, 03:23 PM

2.5 FBS teams > 1 D2 team...by far. If UCA reaches 7 division I wins AND has scheduled 2.5 FBS teams, they deserve serious consideration.

Engineer86
November 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM
2.5 FBS teams > 1 D2 team...by far. If UCA reaches 7 division I wins AND has scheduled 2.5 FBS teams, they deserve serious consideration.

Which one of them did you beat?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM

I find it comical that the same criteria that is keeping Lehigh from gaining in the Top 8 ("they only beat Liberty!") is now being used to pump up James Madison's at-large cred ("wow, they beat Liberty!") xlolx

I agree with folks that say that Central Arkansas should get serious consideration to be 1) over both JMU and Youngstown.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Indiana St...7-4
C Arkansas..8-3
Youngstown St7-4
James Madison7-4
Georgetown....8-3
Southern Utah.7-4
Jacksonville St.7-4
Duquesne.......9-2

1) Youngstown St (would need road win over #1 NDSU to get here)
2) Central Arkansas
3) James Madison
4) Southern Utah (would need road win over UNI to get here)
5) Indiana St
6) Georgetown
7) Duquesne
8) Jacksonville St

Engineer86
November 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I agree with folks that say that Central Arkansas should get serious consideration to be 1) over both JMU and Youngstown.

Even after YSU beats NDSU to get to 7 wins?

GSUhooligan
November 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM

I like this, but I would put SUU at #1 and shift everyone else down. To me (and lucky for Penguins fans I'm not on the selection committee) an FBS win and beating UNI in the dome is more impressive than beating NDSU and Ill St.

Demons_00
November 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I think you have to give it to Central Arkansas at 7-3. 2 losses to FBS teams (1 in OT @ LA tech) and a loss to conference champion Sam Houston. If Youngstown St and James Madison both win out they would have great arguments, but would both have 3 FCS losses.

BEAR
November 8th, 2011, 04:00 PM

How many did YSU play?

BEAR
November 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM
If UCA had scheduled two SWAC teams and beat both of them, everyone would have said what a weak schedule UCA played even with 9 FCS wins. Instead they schedule 2 FBS teams and nearly beat one and everyone says it's still not enough. Can't have it both ways folks....which is it? Schedule up and get beat or schedule down and have no chance at the playoffs. If the FBS losses count against us and the D2 win counts against us......and scheduling two weaker FCS schools would have counted against us...there's no way to win the argument...

Twentysix
November 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
If UCA had scheduled two SWAC teams and beat both of them, everyone would have said what a weak schedule UCA played even with 9 FCS wins. Instead they schedule 2 FBS teams and nearly beat one and everyone says it's still not enough. Can't have it both ways folks....which is it? Schedule up and get beat or schedule down and have no chance at the playoffs. If the FBS losses count against us and the D2 win counts against us......and scheduling two weaker FCS schools would have counted against us...there's no way to win the argument...

Keep it in the division. Trying to pay off your clown field doesnt constitute positive perception.

If UCA played a top 40 FCS team instead of one of those FBS squads you would get more love. Or if you won the FBS games.

BEAR
November 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Keep it in the division. Trying to pay off your clown field doesnt constitute positive perception.

If UCA played a top 40 FCS team instead of one of those FBS squads you would get more love. Or if you won the FBS games.

xlolx That field is paid for by the way. Oh, and please finish off YSU for us to make this debate pointless. Thanks! xlolx

URMite
November 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM

To get to 7 wins, the .5. LOL

BEAR
November 8th, 2011, 04:22 PM
To get to 7 wins, the .5. LOL

Hey, it's a DI win against a transitioning FBS team (more scholarships than us)....we'll take them if they'll schedule us!xlolx

Wildcat80
November 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Indiana St...7-4
C Arkansas..8-3
Youngstown St7-4
James Madison7-4
Georgetown....8-3
Southern Utah.7-4
Jacksonville St.7-4
Duquesne.......9-2

While I might like to see Mickey Matthews EMBARRASS himself & JMU on national TV......I gotta go with an EIGHT WIN GEORGETOWN team! Way to go Hoyas!!

BisonBacker
November 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM

Indiana St...7-4
C Arkansas..8-3
Youngstown St7-4
James Madison7-4
Georgetown....8-3
Southern Utah.7-4
Jacksonville St.7-4
Duquesne.......9-2

Indiana St. would be my pick.

heath
November 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM
While I might like to see Mickey Matthews EMBARRASS himself & JMU on national TV......I gotta go with an EIGHT WIN GEORGETOWN team! Way to go Hoyas!!

The only way Georgetown gets in is with a W this week,then the last team in might be a 9-2 Lehigh

frozennorth
November 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Ysu
Jmu
Isu
Uca

Tod
November 8th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean some of these teams won't have the record stated? You are probably right. Do you mean more or less than one of these teams will get in? I'm not so sure...

Sorry, I meant that all of those teams won't win out/get to 7 D-I wins. Several teams will be dropped from consideration on Saturday, and when we have one week left and fewer teams to talk about, I think a discussion like this will be more entertaining. Not that it's not nice now...:)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Indiana State or JMU

McNeese75
November 8th, 2011, 09:46 PM

You will never win an argument in favor of the Bears in this thread. It was started to try and frame another CAA team getting in. xcoolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM
You will never win an argument in favor of the Bears in this thread. It was started to try and frame another CAA team getting in. xcoolx

And remember, JMU would have beaten Liberty! xlolx

superman7515
November 8th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I find it comical that the same criteria that is keeping Lehigh from gaining in the Top 8 ("they only beat Liberty!") is now being used to pump up James Madison's at-large cred ("wow, they beat Liberty!") xlolx

And remember, JMU would have beaten Liberty! xlolx

Please feel free to post the quote where I made any remark about Lehigh "only" beating Liberty and that making them unworthy of moving up in the poll. Oddly enough, I don't see your rankings of those teams anywhere in this thread.

hidalgo
November 9th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I am just happy to see Duquesne mentioned........didnt start scholarships til 4 years ago in the NEC. They return alot next year too!!!

MplsBison
November 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Indiana St...7-4
C Arkansas..8-3
Youngstown St7-4
James Madison7-4
Georgetown....8-3
Southern Utah.7-4
Jacksonville St.7-4
Duquesne.......9-2

No point in ranking them, the committee will make sure JMU is not only in the field but pair them with the team least likely to host - so that they may make the NCAA as much money as possible.

URMite
November 9th, 2011, 04:22 PM

No it wasn't...although it sure seems like some replies are lobbying that way.

MplsBison
November 9th, 2011, 05:42 PM

A DII win and they lost to the lone great team in the conference. Not an exceptional playoff resume if you ask me.

BEAR
November 9th, 2011, 05:46 PM
A DII win and they lost to the lone great team in the conference. Not an exceptional playoff resume if you ask me.

And a soon to be win against an soon to be FBS team in Texas State...oh wait. Nevermind. xlolx

Engineer86
November 9th, 2011, 06:02 PM
And a soon to be win against an soon to be FBS team in Texas State...oh wait. Nevermind. xlolx

I was ready to give you credit if you won this game, then I looked at them and they are not much better than a win versus New Mexico. That said you raised a great point earlier. You get no credit for winning games at the FCS level on the schedule, but should you get more credit for scheduling FBS teams and losing than if you beat regional/league FCS teams on the schedule.

What is shows more strength a 50-10 pasting by an FBS team or a 24-17 win over a Southland Confirm team? With all of the discussion on here, I don't know what the answer is to that.

BEAR
November 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I was ready to give you credit if you won this game, then I looked at them and they are not much better than a win versus New Mexico. That said you raised a great point earlier. You get no credit for winning games at the FCS level on the schedule, but should you get more credit for scheduling FBS teams and losing than if you beat regional/league FCS teams on the schedule.

What is shows more strength a 50-10 pasting by an FBS team or a 24-17 win over a Southland Confirm team? With all of the discussion on here, I don't know what the answer is to that.

Exactly what I was trying to say. I don't know the answer either. But a win Saturday shows UCA is willing to play multiple FBS schools, beats every FCS school it plays that isn't ranked in the top 3 xlolx , and has done so on a 7 game win streak. Yes, this is our SECOND year eligible AND we are in a mid-level conference. How do we make up for that fact? Who knows. Please someone post the answer. xbowx

MplsBison
November 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Exactly what I was trying to say. I don't know the answer either. But a win Saturday shows UCA is willing to play multiple FBS schools, beats every FCS school it plays that isn't ranked in the top 3 xlolx , and has done so on a 7 game win streak. Yes, this is our SECOND year eligible AND we are in a mid-level conference. How do we make up for that fact? Who knows. Please someone post the answer. xbowx

You can't.

Not when you lose to all the FBS schools you schedule (what does that prove?) and you beat all the teams in your conference other than the one good one, none of which are top 25 teams (again, what does that prove?).

Engineer86
November 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM
You can't.

Not when you lose to all the FBS schools you schedule (what does that prove?) and you beat all the teams in your conference other than the one good one, none of which are top 25 teams (again, what does that prove?).

How about a team with an OOC schedule of Campbell(6-3 in Pioneer), Georgia St(2-7 Ind) and Hampton(5-4 in MEAC), and the best record of their in conference teams on the schedule is 5-4? Has that team proven themselves?

Crosis
November 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
How about a team with an OOC schedule of Campbell(6-3 in Pioneer), Georgia St(2-7 Ind) and Hampton(5-4 in MEAC), and the best record of their in conference teams on the schedule is 5-4? Has that team proven themselves?
It depends entirely on the conference the team competes in. I think with that OOC schedule, a Colonial Athletic Association team or a Southern Conference team with 8 wins or more has proven itself.

Fear the Bird
November 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM
It depends entirely on the conference the team competes in. I think with that OOC schedule, a Colonial Athletic Association team or a Southern Conference team with 8 wins or more has proven itself.

change that number to 7

Engineer86
November 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Really, this team very likely will have not beaten one team in the playoffs? How is that different from scheduling a few FBS teams and losing each of them? Seems inconsistent to me.

Crosis
November 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Really, this team very likely will have not beaten one team in the playoffs? How is that different from scheduling a few FBS teams and losing each of them? Seems inconsistent to me.
Good conferences will have teams with artificially high amounts of losses. It is usually like this with any great conference in any sport, with the exception of UConn women's basketball in the Big East. I would wager a 4-5 or 5-4 Colonial or Southern team can beat most programs from mid-level conferences.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2011, 08:57 PM
And a 7-4 JMU team will have beaten how many playoff teams? One. Liberty. And they're from a "mid-level" conference that people are trying to bring down to make an argument for a 7-4 CAA team like JMU to get in over a 8-3 UCA. JMU lost to the 3 good teams in their conference that they played as well so they haven't proven anything more than UCA has using that argument.

It's all about your viewpoint. You can look at UCA's schedule and say "Well, they haven't beaten anyone I'm impressed" with. Whereas I look at UCA's schedule and I say "Well, they haven't proven that they can't play on the same level of the other bubble teams based on the quality of the teams they've lost to". That's all in your own perspective. Personally, a 8-3 UCA gets in for me over a 7-4 JMU based on how I evaluate these teams.

Fear the Bird
November 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
And a 7-4 JMU team will have beaten how many playoff teams? One. Liberty. And they're from a "mid-level" conference that people are trying to bring down to make an argument for a 7-4 CAA team like JMU to get in over a 8-3 UCA. JMU lost to the 3 good teams in their conference that they played as well so they haven't proven anything more than UCA has using that argument.

It's all about your viewpoint. You can look at UCA's schedule and say "Well, they haven't beaten anyone I'm impressed" with. Whereas I look at UCA's schedule and I say "Well, they haven't proven that they can't play on the same level of the other bubble teams based on the quality of the teams they've lost to". That's all in your own perspective. Personally, a 8-3 UCA gets in for me over a 7-4 JMU based on how I evaluate these teams.

Completely agree which is why ISU-b should be out...you have to beat one of those 3 conference teams

Dallas Demon
November 10th, 2011, 01:36 AM

Assuming UCA beats Texas State this weekend, they would be a lock at getting an at-large bid IMO and deservedly so.

Unless I missed the email clarifying the selection process, I don't believe the committee would approve all 11 Colonial teams and all 9 Southern Conference teams getting bids to the playoffs during the same year - although you would think so sometimes by reading this forum.

Engineer86
November 10th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I was referring to ODU, who's best win is JMU who may or may not be in the field. It must be based on THEIR playoff track xrotatehx xoopsx

As always I am just glad their are playoffs to get the real answer.

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2011, 07:05 AM
All that matters is 7 DI wins and quality of wins. I don't care if you have one FCS loss or 4. 7 DI wins and quality wins are what matter.

With that said, in my opinion:

#1. Southern Utah -- FBS win and win over UNI if they get there.
#2. Youngstown State -- win over North Dakota State, if they get there.
#3. James Madison -- win over Liberty, if they get there.
#4. UCA -- no good wins, but 7 DI wins, but must beat Texas State at home.
#5. Indiana State -- no real good wins, but 7 DI wins if they win out.
#6. Georgetown -- 8 DI wins, and Patriot league has traditionally gotten credit in the past. If they lose to Lehigh, all 5 teams in front would need to avoid 7 DI wins.

In the end, I think the most likely scenario is that James Madison gets to 7 DI wins and takes the final spot. Liberty is better than anything UCA has right now, which isn't saying much. With that said, if UCA were to beat Texas State and Liberty lost to Stony Brook, I'd be tempted to move UCA over JMU, as there's probably an argument that McNeese is the next best thing in terms of wins, though UMass will possibly come pretty close, and might still be a better win.

Sycamore51
November 10th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I would have to go with the good guys, Indiana State, on this one. We beat YSU, our only losses would be to Penn State (away) close loss to UNI (away) Ill St (away) and NDSU (home). Our WKU win keeps looking better and better, they may actually win the Suck Belt this year. They have 5 wins on the year and could make a bowl. With us at 7-4, with a win against YSU, even if they beat NDSU, I think we have the edge. Plus we would be a great story, maybe that counts for something.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2011, 09:24 AM
#1. Southern Utah -- FBS win and win over UNI if they get there.
#2. Youngstown State -- win over North Dakota State, if they get there.
#3. James Madison -- win over Liberty, if they get there.
#4. UCA -- no good wins, but 7 DI wins, but must beat Texas State at home.
#5. Indiana State -- no real good wins, but 7 DI wins if they win out.
#6. Georgetown -- 8 DI wins, and Patriot league has traditionally gotten credit in the past. If they lose to Lehigh, all 5 teams in front would need to avoid 7 DI wins.

I disagree with the fact that Indiana St has no good wins. If you're going to give SUU credit for beating a crappy FBS you should give credit for InSU for beating a better FBS team. Same goes for giving JMU credit for beating Liberty but not giving InSU credit for beating Youngstown St.

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I disagree with the fact that Indiana St has no good wins. If you're going to give SUU credit for beating a crappy FBS you should give credit for InSU for beating a better FBS team. Same goes for giving JMU credit for beating Liberty but not giving InSU credit for beating Youngstown St.

Honestly, I actually FORGOT about Indiana State's FBS win. They'd obviously be ahead of Youngstown, though behind SUU, in that race, since the UNI win would be a better one.

URMite
November 10th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Assuming UCA beats Texas State this weekend, they would be a lock at getting an at-large bid IMO and deservedly so.

Unless I missed the email clarifying the selection process, I don't believe the committee would approve all 11 Colonial teams and all 9 Southern Conference teams getting bids to the playoffs during the same year - although you would think so sometimes by reading this forum.

I don't know...They just might if all 11 went 4-4 in conference and had a FBS win and 2 FCS wins out of conference...xlolx

MplsBison
November 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Hands are tied - CCA gets 4 in.

And JMU could well get in if they get 7 DI wins. Stadium is too big for the NCAA to keep them out ($$$).

MplsBison
November 10th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Completely agree which is why ISU-b should be out...you have to beat one of those 3 conference teams

MVFC is an elite conference, deserves to get the top 4 in. If YSU can steal a win at NDSU, they should get it too.

MplsBison
November 10th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Nope, Southland is too weak. AQ only is what I'm predicting.

MplsBison
November 10th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Honestly, I actually FORGOT about Indiana State's FBS win. They'd obviously be ahead of Youngstown, though behind SUU, in that race, since the UNI win would be a better one.

Yeah but when you consider the fact that SUU can't afford airfare for their team and are bussing to Iowa...there's no friggin' way SUU is going to beat UNI.

They're out.

MTfan4life
November 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM
MVFC is an elite conference, deserves to get the top 4 in. If YSU can steal a win at NDSU, they should get it too.

I don't know if they deserve to get the top 4 in. Usually a conference has to historically prove something to simply DESERVE to get a certain amount of teams in. That's why the CAA gets so much credit. They have had 2 teams in the semifinals the past four seasons. Not just top heavy same teams each season. It's been Del, Vil, W&M, JM, and Rich. The last time the MVFC put 2 teams in the semis was 1999. That's also why I'd rank a 7-4 James Madison ahead of any other team. Sure it may seem like the teams they've been playing aren't that great because of their records, but it's high level competition every single week.

SUUBird
November 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
MplsBison
Actually SUU charters flights out of Cedar City for all away games they will be in their own beds Sat night with a win, so no they will not be taking the bus

Fear the Bird
November 10th, 2011, 02:06 PM

That's fine - the CAA has been an elite conference for years, but the 4th place team has usually beaten one of the top 3 not gone 0-3 - fortunately for ISU-b, other teams are going to give them the opportunity to be one of the top 10 candidates by losing big games also.

I think you can throw Gtown out as a candidate and you would hope YSU although the assumed NDSU win would be larger than life at this point in the season. I don't think you can consider SUU - you have to beat at least one of SD, ND, Cal Poly.

I think UCA is a lock from this list and now that I'm talking it out loud, ISU-b has just as good a case as JMU. Wow the at-large field is thin this year

Dallas Demon
November 10th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Nope, Southland is too weak. AQ only is what I'm predicting.

You are wrong. We will see on selection day assuming UCA wins this weekend. Also, there is no basis for saying the Southland is too weak. Almost all teams, with the exception of Sam Houston, have played at least 2 FBS games. No other conference does this, hence has at least one more victory on their slate than Southland schools.

The Southland has not fared well against Missouri Valley teams as of recent overall with only some wins, however the Southland rarely loses to Southern Conference teams. However, nobody seems to take note of that tidbit.

Tod
November 10th, 2011, 09:36 PM
That's fine - the CAA has been an elite conference for years, but the 4th place team has usually beaten one of the top 3 not gone 0-3 - fortunately for ISU-b, other teams are going to give them the opportunity to be one of the top 10 candidates by losing big games also.

I think you can throw Gtown out as a candidate and you would hope YSU although the assumed NDSU win would be larger than life at this point in the season. I don't think you can consider SUU - you have to beat at least one of SD, ND, Cal Poly.

I think UCA is a lock from this list and now that I'm talking it out loud, ISU-b has just as good a case as JMU. Wow the at-large field is thin this year

It's not thin yet, there are a lot (or alot, in internet speak) of teams that are still in the running. I don't think it's ever happened, even with 16 teams, that anybody was "blown away" by how every damn team was just so strong that anybody could win. There have always been long-shots.

I get what you're saying about SUU, but if they win out (which they probably won't) they'd also have wins over UNI and UNLV. That's pretty strong. Hard to say what would happen if that were to play out.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2011, 08:19 AM
MplsBison
Actually SUU charters flights out of Cedar City for all away games they will be in their own beds Sat night with a win, so no they will not be taking the bus

Frankly I don't believe you.

There was an article a few years ago about how SUU had to take a 17 hr bus ride to an away game (vs Poly?) because that's what they could afford.

You're telling me that not only have they gone from scholarships in the 40's to full scholarships, but they're now paying $70k+ to charter a plane 7 times this year? I don't think so. Especially not when 3 of the away games are Las Vegas, Flagstaff and Ogden. But even then, 4 * $70k is > $200k. Where did they get that money?

It could only be from the school itself, the athletic dept does not generate that kind of revenue. Football avg attendance is what, 5k?

Not unless the LDS is subsidizing them.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM
You are wrong. We will see on selection day assuming UCA wins this weekend. Also, there is no basis for saying the Southland is too weak. Almost all teams, with the exception of Sam Houston, have played at least 2 FBS games. No other conference does this, hence has at least one more victory on their slate than Southland schools.

The Southland has not fared well against Missouri Valley teams as of recent overall with only some wins, however the Southland rarely loses to Southern Conference teams. However, nobody seems to take note of that tidbit.

I'm not saying UCA won't get in if they beat TX St. I actually think they will, sadly.

I'm saying they won't deserve it.

If they're paired up with anyone but a MEAC or OVC team, it's going to be an embarrassing exit in the first round.

youwouldno
November 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM

How often does a Southland team even play a Southern Conference team? In the past 4 regular reasons combined it is 1-1. So "rarely loses" is technically true but not very meaningful. In the past 6-7 years the playoff record is 1-1 as well. But in any case the Southland is definitely weak at this point in time. Very weak in the middle and bottom of the conference and only 1 real contender.

BEAR
November 11th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I'm not saying UCA won't get in if they beat TX St. I actually think they will, sadly.

If they're paired up with anyone but a MEAC or OVC team, it's going to be an embarrassing exit in the first round.

What I like about UCA being in contention for a playoff spot besides the fact that they're the team I cheer for.....they're an unknown in the FCS playoff world. It's only their second year eligible to be in the playoffs and they qualified! Last year they were on the cusp. This year they are there.

molly
November 11th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Almost all teams, with the exception of Sam Houston, have played at least 2 FBS games. No other conference does this, hence has at least one more victory on their slate than Southland schools.

Almost all Southland teams, with the exception of Sam Houston and SE Louisiana, have played at least one sub-DI game. So, when you combine that with their FBS games, there are very few OOC games against FCS competition. That makes it very difficult to get a sense of how good they are.

If you exclude the games against Texas St., the entire conference is something like 3-2 against OOC FCS competition, and 2 of those wins are by SHSU.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
1. C Arkansas..8-3 - If they beat Texas State they would have won seven games in a row. That's very hard to ignore
2. Indiana St...7-4 - A win over Youngstown, gives them the nod over the Penguins
3. Youngstown St 7 -4 - A win at NDSU is impressive, but ISU has the head-to-head and an FBS win
4. Southern Utah 7-4 - A win over UNI is not enough to me to offset the ridiculous losses they've had; even with an FBS win. This team is schizo.
5. Georgetown 8-3 - 8 DI wins, but none of note. Loss to Yale isn't looking good as they may finish with a losing record.
6. James Madison7-4 No wins over any of the CAA's top teams. Signature win over Liberty and my evaluation of them is highly dependent on whether Liberty wins the Big South
7. Jacksonville St.7-4 No wins of note OOC. Win over GSU looks really suspect now with GSU losing to an NAIA school.
8. Duquesne.......9-2 A high number of DI wins. I wouldn't choose them, but the committee might view that very favorably.

SUUBird
November 11th, 2011, 11:26 AM
MplsBison that is true they did not fly to NAU Weber or UNLV but they have charted every other away game other than those for the last 4 years. You dont have to believe me but I have been on may of those trips. That is what happens when you finally get a descent AD and Pres.

P.S. sorry I do think they bused to Cal Poly one of those years

MplsBison
November 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM
MplsBison that is true they did not fly to NAU Weber or UNLV but they have charted every other away game other than those for the last 4 years. You dont have to believe me but I have been on may of those trips. That is what happens when you finally get a descent AD and Pres.

P.S. sorry I do think they bused to Cal Poly one of those years

How have they been able to pay for that plus increasing to full scholarships and adding women's sports (volleyball or softball?)???

Is the LDS subsidizing this?

MplsBison
November 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM
1. C Arkansas..8-3 - If they beat Texas State they would have won seven games in a row. That's very hard to ignore
2. Indiana St...7-4 - A win over Youngstown, gives them the nod over the Penguins
3. Youngstown St 7 -4 - A win at NDSU is impressive, but ISU has the head-to-head and an FBS win
4. Southern Utah 7-4 - A win over UNI is not enough to me to offset the ridiculous losses they've had; even with an FBS win. This team is schizo.
5. Georgetown 8-3 - 8 DI wins, but none of note. Loss to Yale isn't looking good as they may finish with a losing record.
6. James Madison7-4 No wins over any of the CAA's top teams. Signature win over Liberty and my evaluation of them is highly dependent on whether Liberty wins the Big South
7. Jacksonville St.7-4 No wins of note OOC. Win over GSU looks really suspect now with GSU losing to an NAIA school.
8. Duquesne.......9-2 A high number of DI wins. I wouldn't choose them, but the committee might view that very favorably.

I'm assuming you're already counting IL St in, which should be true even with a loss to UNI.

That said, IN St is above C Ark because of quality of opponents. The only reason C Ark can win 7 straight is they only had to play one tough team in conference.

SUUBird
November 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM
We added volleyball. Dont know I am not in the athletic department. I know our AD and Pres are agresive and dedicated to getting things right. I can tell you one thing the church has nothing to do with SUU. We will still have the lowest Athletics budget by far in the BIg Sky next year.

Dallas Demon
November 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM

They will deserve it. It would be an outrage if they were not selected over a possible 4th team in another conference with a lesser record. Especially considering their only losses would be to two FBS teams, one in OT, and the only FCS loss to a top 5 team.

Dallas Demon
November 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Almost all Southland teams, with the exception of Sam Houston and SE Louisiana, have played at least one sub-DI game. So, when you combine that with their FBS games, there are very few OOC games against FCS competition. That makes it very difficult to get a sense of how good they are.

If you exclude the games against Texas St., the entire conference is something like 3-2 against OOC FCS competition, and 2 of those wins are by SHSU.

Seems to be applicable for the Southland Conference. What would you say if I told you that the Southern Conference teams play at least one Division II team or below for the majority of the teams - would that change your mind of that conference? What about the weak OOC FCS teams the Southern Conference plays? Does Tusculum, Stillman, Virginia-Wise, Mars Hill, Concord, Presbyterian, VMI, North Carolina AT&T, and Savannah St. ring a bell? Or is it okay for one conference to do this while only playing 1 FBS game (at the most) for each team, while the Southland teams play 2 FBS games per team for most.

Dallas Demon
November 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM

It depends on where they ship them. If sent to the cold white north, that is a distinct disadvantage. If sent to a warmer climate, they should represent well. Also, compare against all teams on the road the first week, it is typically very difficult to win a first round game on the road regardless of what conference you come from. We'll just have to see.

molly
November 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Seems to be applicable for the Southland Conference. What would you say if I told you that the Southern Conference teams play at least one Division II team or below for the majority of the teams - would that change your mind of that conference? What about the weak OOC FCS teams the Southern Conference plays? Does Tusculum, Stillman, Virginia-Wise, Mars Hill, Concord, Presbyterian, VMI, North Carolina AT&T, and Savannah St. ring a bell? Or is it okay for one conference to do this while only playing 1 FBS game (at the most) for each team, while the Southland teams play 2 FBS games per team for most.

Geez. You seemed to have missed or intentionally ignored my point, so I'll repeat it for you: Because the entire conference has only played a handful of FCS games other than each other, it makes it more difficult to judge the strength of the conference. Therefore, it is difficult to judge the strength of a team that has no wins except against teams in that conference.

hidalgo
November 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Duquesne goes to 8-2 with one to play..........9-2 gives them a shot........albeit small.

Dallas Demon
November 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Geez. You seemed to have missed or intentionally ignored my point, so I'll repeat it for you: Because the entire conference has only played a handful of FCS games other than each other, it makes it more difficult to judge the strength of the conference. Therefore, it is difficult to judge the strength of a team that has no wins except against teams in that conference.

And my point is that the Southland is considered "weak" for doing this and for scheduling up, while other conferences are considered "strong" for doing the same thing. The Southern Conference, for example, has nothing to compare against because they either schedule 1 FBS team (they lose all of those games) and then either Division II (or lower) or very weak FCS teams. Neither conference can be judged, only against the teams in that conference as you indicate above.