PDA

View Full Version : GSU @ Wofford Pregame Thread

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Wofford has been banged up the last couple weeks, but I think we'll be healthy next week with Farrar, Boyce, Singleton back on offense and probably Shelton and Legrande back on defense. How does GSU look injury wise? What's up with Manbearpig

I can't say much about this game other than the fact that turnovers will be key. I wouldn't be surprised if both teams were held under 200 yards rushing. Both teams and fans are going to be PUMPED for this game I can guarantee it. Wofford wants revenge, GSU wants the Socon title. If wofford plays like they did against App, Clemson, and the Citadel we'll win I think.

Prediction:
Wofford 21
GSU 17

The Eagle's Cliff
November 6th, 2011, 08:00 AM
We're not playing with much intensity or enthusiasm right now and we're not blocking well enough. It might be a problem for us that won't get solved in 2011. I'm thinking it might not be close, because we just don't have the O-Line.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 6th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Brent Russell had a one-game suspension (apparently some violation of team rules while in Boone).
GSU's top slotback JJ Wilcox should be at 100%. Other than the guys who had season-ending injuries we should have everyone healthy.

The big question is what GSU does QB wise. Do we keep doing the McKinnon-Jaybo split or do we move McKinnon back to slot? App. and The Citadel certainly exposed some weaknesses on the offense.
It all comes down to whether the offense gets some confidence back.

GATA_Eagles
November 6th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Making my second trip up to Spartanburg for this game. Should be a good one as long as our offense doesn't perform like it has the last two weeks.

straightshooter
November 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM
We're not playing with much intensity or enthusiasm right now and we're not blocking well enough. It might be a problem for us that won't get solved in 2011. I'm thinking it might not be close, because we just don't have the O-Line.

We have exactly the same OL we had in 2010. Not sure the QB switch will continue. McKinnon hadn't taken a snap from under center in a game in about five weeks, and the rust showed. My guess is that Monken wanted to get a change of speed in the game with McKinnon at QB, since he is much faster/quicker than Jaybo. Let's not forget that the Citadel has shown times of brilliance on defense this season. They knew GSU's offense to a T, since that's what they run on O. If GSU eliminates the turnovers, it's a different game all together. Losing the ball on the Citadel 1 and 11 really hurt the Eagles' chances of really opening up the score a bit.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Interesting....what's up with McKinnon? and Wofford's run defense has been solid for the most part this year, except Furman. Our outside linebacker Legrande was injured on the first drive (hamstring) and we died a slow and painful death that day because of it. he's a real physical backer who does a lot for run support.

SideLine Shooter
November 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
It is just a shame they can't both lose!:Dxnodx

straightshooter
November 6th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Interesting....what's up with McKinnon? and Wofford's run defense has been solid for the most part this year, except Furman. Our outside linebacker Legrande was injured on the first drive (hamstring) and we died a slow and painful death that day because of it. he's a real physical backer who does a lot for run support.

McKinnon broke a bone in his hand and has been wearing a big cast for more than a month. Finally got it off, and this is the first game he could take a snap under center since the break. He has great running skills, but needs time under center to get the timing of the O in sync.

GaSouthern
November 6th, 2011, 09:02 AM
This game is gonna be tough, if there is a blowout I fear that it will be in favor of WC. If the ball will bounce our way a couple of times we can win by two scores though.

CropDuster
November 6th, 2011, 09:09 AM
DE Deion Dubose and S Derek Heyden are out for the season. WLB Carlos Cave was out yesterday, don't know if he'll be back.

From a post on gsufans, our offense has been held to 12 ppg and averaging less than 200 yards rushing for the last two games. If we can't get some rhythm on offense and stop turning the ball over we are going to have a long day in Sparty. Defense has played well despite the lack of help from the O.

apaladin
November 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM
My prediction: This game will be played in less than 2.5 hours.

straightshooter
November 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Arguably our best offensive player, JJ Wilcox played a few snaps in the first quarter and dinged a knee. Didn't play the rest of the game. GSU started a true freshman at OLB in place of Cave and I didn't see CB Riyahd Jones, who has started a number of games this season, on the field at all.

kdinva
November 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Will Wofford add some temp. bleacher seats in the end zones, etc.? I think this game would/could sell 15,000 seats easily.

GSU Eagle
November 6th, 2011, 01:29 PM
This one should be a relatively low scoring game, something like 17-14 or 20-14. I really don't know what to expect from our offense which has been on vacation the last 2 weeks.

I am confident our defense will keep us in the game, but for the Eagles to win we have to stop turning the ball over and get a few big plays on offense. Most of us Eagle fans have great respect for Coach Ayers. He always seems to have his team ready to play and generally Wofford does not make many mistakes.

Hopefully the game will come down to the last 5 minutes and the Eagles can find a way to win it.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2011, 01:36 PM
As I posted on terriefans:

the teams are so similar it's not even funny. Against similar opponents, neither team has consistently outperformed the other. From a scoring perspective, Wofford seems to do better offensively, while Georgia southern has done better defensively. If Legrande, Singleton, Boyce, Farrar, and Shelton are back at full strength this week (which is a good possibility) to play, that would be HUGE. I think the key stats that will determine the outcome will be:

A) Time of possession-The team who holds the ball the longest will probably have an advantage
B) Turnovers-GSU has a major case of fumble-itis. Wofford has only lost 6 fumbles all year and about half of those were by the second team. GSU recovers 60% of their own fumbles...but all it takes is 2 or 3 lost ones to change the course of the game. Mitch Allen doesn't need to force any throws either, as that's the only criticism I have of him.
C) Big plays-This is going to be a slobber-knocker of a game. Every first down and every drive is going to count.
D) Special teams-Georgia Southern has the best special teams unit in the conference, we have to bring our A-game and not give them good field position or leave points on the field.
E) the passing game-GSU has a viable passing attack. Wofford, not as much. The key for wofford is to not feel like you HAVE to pass the ball, as we have in weeks past. If we can contain GSU's passing game and not throw interceptions I like our chances.
F) play-calling-it's key in every triple option offense. We don't need to pass the ball more than we pitch it. We NEED to pitch it more to Donovan Johnson and others in space.

T-Dog
November 6th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'm rooting for Wofford just so we have a potential for SoCon Clusterfudgery in the final week.

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2011, 01:42 PM
^ same

Really sucks this game isn't the SoCon game of the week. xsmhx

Eaglesrus
November 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM
As I posted on terriefans:

the teams are so similar it's not even funny. Against similar opponents, neither team has consistently outperformed the other. From a scoring perspective, Wofford seems to do better offensively, while Georgia southern has done better defensively. If Legrande, Singleton, Boyce, Farrar, and Shelton are back at full strength this week (which is a good possibility) to play, that would be HUGE. I think the key stats that will determine the outcome will be:

A) Time of possession-The team who holds the ball the longest will probably have an advantage
B) Turnovers-GSU has a major case of fumble-itis. Wofford has only lost 6 fumbles all year and about half of those were by the second team. GSU recovers 60% of their own fumbles...but all it takes is 2 or 3 lost ones to change the course of the game. Mitch Allen doesn't need to force any throws either, as that's the only criticism I have of him.
C) Big plays-This is going to be a slobber-knocker of a game. Every first down and every drive is going to count.
D) Special teams-Georgia Southern has the best special teams unit in the conference, we have to bring our A-game and not give them good field position or leave points on the field.
E) the passing game-GSU has a viable passing attack. Wofford, not as much. The key for wofford is to not feel like you HAVE to pass the ball, as we have in weeks past. If we can contain GSU's passing game and not throw interceptions I like our chances.
F) play-calling-it's key in every triple option offense. We don't need to pass the ball more than we pitch it. We NEED to pitch it more to Donovan Johnson and others in space.

Well done, YT, I think that's a very balanced and accurate preview of the game. Unfortunately (from my standpoint) our play-calling has been poor the last two games, though I'd say that was strongly influenced by the opposition, especially App State. My primary hope is that both teams will play well and then we'll see what happens.

ASUG8
November 6th, 2011, 02:40 PM
After seeing both teams in action, I like Wofford to win this one by 14. They simply run their option more seamlessly than GSU IMHO.

Eagle22
November 6th, 2011, 04:17 PM
DE Deion Dubose and S Derek Heyden are out for the season. WLB Carlos Cave was out yesterday, don't know if he'll be back.

From a post on gsufans, our offense has been held to 12 ppg and averaging less than 200 yards rushing for the last two games. If we can't get some rhythm on offense and stop turning the ball over we are going to have a long day in Sparty. Defense has played well despite the lack of help from the O.

Difference right now for GSU is simply redzone efficiency. We were very productive leading up to our game vs. ASU, and now in back to back weeks we have gone from being the best in the SoCon to third. Credit part of that no doubt to strong defensive stands by ASU and Citadel, and in some part to some questionable play calling and execution.

We won't be able to waste similar chances against Wofford. Had we been able to gain field goals in those occasions the last two weeks we might have ended up with different results in Boone, and maybe a more comfortable margin yesterday. But Monken has thus far been far more of a go-for-broke coach than Paul Johnson was by his second year.

I-16Bandit
November 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Maybe Georgia Southern follows Tech's lead with 2 crap games, then pulling a big win when they needed it (vs. Clemson).

One can only hope. :D

GSU Eagle
November 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM
This game almost always goes to the wire. GSU and Wofford are very close. This game is about as close to a toss up as one can get. That being said Wofford is clearly coming into this game having played better in their last 2 games than GSU is playing.

blueballs
November 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Both games last year were barn burners, I fully expect this year's to be as well. It also wouldn't surpise me if this is act one of two, if you get my drift.

Wofford Oaks
November 7th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I expect a nail-biter too. The last five meetings between Wofford and GSU have been decided by a total of 14 points.

Eagle16
November 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM
It also wouldn't surpise me if this is act one of two, if you get my drift.

If that's the case, I'd prefer to win in act two.

SpeedkingATL
November 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
This will be a good one. The team that completes 5 passes or more will win the game. GaSo's return game could also be a difference maker. Hope GSU wins in 14 overtimes and Wofford is so worn out and beat up they mail it in the final weekend....never mind I forgot who they were playing.

apaladin
November 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Agree, this game should be the game of the week on TV. Why can't the SoCon schedule the first 7-8 weeks making sure everyone has at least one game by then and then schedule the last 3 weeks with games that are meaningful???? This weeks game is Samford.Citadel. I guess this would be too logical.

Skjellyfetti
November 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Agree, this game should be the game of the week on TV. Why can't the SoCon schedule the first 7-8 weeks making sure everyone has at least one game by then and then schedule the last 3 weeks with games that are meaningful???? This weeks game is Samford.Citadel. I guess this would be too logical.

I agree. At first I thought that they were trying to make sure every conference member got a home game televised... but, that didn't happen-- because, I don't think Furman had a home game televised... and they had two of the most important conference games (App and Wofford).

seantaylor
November 9th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Socon TV is beyond a joke. Can't get that station on Direct TV. Horrible production as well.

I-16Bandit
November 9th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Socon TV is beyond a joke. Can't get that station on Direct TV. Horrible production as well.

Something is better than nothing.

6FlagsOverGeorgiaSouthern
November 9th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Wish it was the SoCon game of the week, but at least it will be on Terriervision. There has been some confusion about whether it would be shown because of the GOP debate, but this was on the wofford athletic website...
http://athletics.wofford.edu/sports/2011/11/7/MKTP_1107114945.aspx?id=268

terrierbob
November 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Wish it was the SoCon game of the week, but at least it will be on Terriervision. There has been some confusion about whether it would be shown because of the GOP debate, but this was on the wofford athletic website...
http://athletics.wofford.edu/sports/2011/11/7/MKTP_1107114945.aspx?id=268

Just spoke with Brent Williamson, Asst. Dir. media Relations. He confirmed it will be on Terriervision.

SuperEagle
November 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I think if that were the case and the SOCON would have wanted to pick this game up, I think Wofford would have politely declined since they are having the Presidential debate Saturday night. I do like your idea though but in this case I don't think it would have mattered. With the debate that night, Wofford couldn't have done a 3pm start.

T-Dog
November 10th, 2011, 01:26 AM
If Wofford wins this game, the following week will feature something never before seen in our lifetime. The big three of ASU, GSU & FU will rise up together in support of fellow old guard member UTC and unite against the Terriorists.

But first of all, go Wofford. :D

Terrierforlife
November 10th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Gonna be a good one. Monken called the last game in Spartanburg awfully well. I was surprised that he used our own tactics against us. This one will come down to turnovers. See you there!

GSUhooligan
November 14th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I just got some insight into the pre-game festivities that may explain why Wofford didn't come out with the intensity that they should have. Apparently, before the debate, Rick Perry was in attendance for the game, was with the Wofford president during the game and gave the pre-game speech. During that speech he started to go on about how the Southern Conference is a tough conference with some great history and 3 really strong teams:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Appy State
3. Uh....the 3rd one is uh, (Someone yells across the room "Furman!?") uh no, the 3rd one is uh...I'm sorry I can't, oops.

And now you know the rest of the story.