PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 seeds after 11/5 ??

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I guess these are the contenders at this point for a top 5 seed:
North Dakota St., Georgia Southern, Sam Houston St., Montana St., Northern Iowa, Montana, and Wofford. According to the GPI these should be the contentants at this point.

Here is what I would have:
1. North Dakota St.
2. Sam Houston St.
3. Georgia Southern
4. Montana St.
5. Northern Iowa

By regionalization it would seem that Georgia Southern/Sam Houston St. would be paired and North Dakota St./Montana St. would be paired.

Other thoughts?

LakesBison
November 5th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Regionalization sucks. NDSU should get Sam Houston and Georgia Southern in their bracket. NO reason that NDSU should have to play MSU/UNI again, WE"VE ALREADY PROVEN WE CAN BEAT THEM!

CopperCat
November 5th, 2011, 10:26 PM
NDSU
MSU
GSU
UNI
SHSU

In that order.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM
1. NDSU
2. Montana State
3. SHSU
4. UNI
5. Wofford or GSU

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I don't see a 2nd MVC team being seeded over the SoCon automatic.

WrenFGun
November 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Didn't Georgia Southern just beat the Citadel by 2?

IMO:

1. NDSU
2. Montana State
3. Sam Houston State
4. SoCon Champ
5. CAA Champ

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I don't see a 2nd MVC team being seeded over the SoCon automatic.

Conferences shouldn't matter, UNI would have TD loss to #1 NDSU and a one point loss to Iowa State.

UNH Fanboi
November 5th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Conferences shouldn't matter, UNI would have TD loss to #1 NDSU and a one point loss to Iowa State.

It is very telling that your response only mentions UNI's losses. What are their big wins?

If Maine or UNH finishes 7-1 in conferece, they should absolutely be seeded over UNI. UNH could have wins over 4 playoff teams by the end of the season.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM
It is very telling that your response only mentions UNI's losses. What are their big wins?

If Maine or UNH finishes 7-1 in conferece, they should absolutely be seeded over UNI. UNH could have wins over 4 playoff teams by the end of the season.

It is hard to say, UNI could have two wins vs playoff teams or none. The bubble is tricky to forecast right now in regards to the teams they have beaten or may beat. But if either of those CAA teams wins out it will be close, very close.

Fear the Bird
November 5th, 2011, 10:54 PM

What about Towson?? If they win out 9-2 with losses to Maryland (FBS) and Delaware but wins over all 3 other CAA playoff teams now thats a resume!

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 10:57 PM
One always wonders how much attendance and $$$ come into the seedings. For example Maine or New Hampshire are not going to probably draw very big crowds-- so would the NCAA actually give one of those schools a high seed? We will see.

clenz
November 5th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Like I told BiSSSSS-on fans before the UNI/NDSU game....the game was important but it didn't end the season for either team.

2008 UNI lost the head to head to SIU and SIU got the autobid...UNI got the 3 seed.

dwtime
November 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM
What about Towson?? If they win out 9-2 with losses to Maryland (FBS) and Delaware but wins over all 3 other CAA playoff teams now thats a resume!

Absolutely, if either Towson or UNH win out they get a top 5 seed over UNI. No two top 5 seeds from the same conference.

UNH Fanboi
November 5th, 2011, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I should have mentioned them. UNH and Maine have a little more respectable ooc wins though.

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I fully believe the winner of next week's Wofford/GSU game will be a top 4 seed.

Fear the Bird
November 5th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I should have mentioned them. UNH and Maine have a little more respectable ooc wins though.

True but let me preface this by saying im a big fan of UNH, UNH easily has the worst loss of the group in W&M

Fear the Bird
November 5th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I fully believe the winner of next week's Wofford/GSU game will be a top 4 seed.

Agree...as of today i go

NDSU
MSU
GSU-Woff winner
Towson-UNH winner (assuming they win on 11/19)
SHSU

Fear the Bird
November 5th, 2011, 11:09 PM
ahhh, come on guys,

get that Lehigh team in there someplace, will ya!

After today?!

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:10 PM
1. SHSU
2. Montana St
3. NDSU
4. GSU
5. Lehigh

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I think what hurts Sam Houston some is the perception that the conference they play in is not on par with the CAA, SoCon, MVC or Big Sky. That being said I think it will be difficult for the committee to not seed an 11-0 Sam Houston team in the top 2.

DJKyR0
November 5th, 2011, 11:13 PM
1. SHSU
2. Montana St
3. NDSU
4. GSU
5. Lehigh

Gil, in a fanbase full of pessimists of the Vigen offense and the remnant-Breske defense, you have got to be the biggest of them all. :)

Bearkats94
November 5th, 2011, 11:13 PM
1. NDSU
2. SHSU
3. MSU
4. GSU
5. Maine

This how I see it. Why would you have a team that has 2 losts in the top 5?

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I think what hurts Sam Houston some is the perception that the conference they play in is not on par with the CAA, SoCon, MVC or Big Sky. That being said I think it will be difficult for the committee to not seed an 11-0 Sam Houston team in the top 2.

If NDSU and Montana State win out they should be seeded below both. SHSU has like the 77th toughest schedule in the FCS...it isn't perception...it's reality.

eaglewraith
November 5th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Regionalization sucks. NDSU should get Sam Houston and Georgia Southern in their bracket. NO reason that NDSU should have to play MSU/UNI again, WE"VE ALREADY PROVEN WE CAN BEAT THEM!

Hi I'm the FCS Playoffs. We must not have met.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 11:16 PM
1. NDSU
2. SHSU
3. MSU
4. GSU
5. Maine

Maine has two losses and unless GSU does the unthinkable and beats Alabama they'll have two losses.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Gil, in a fanbase full of pessimists of the Vigen offense and the remnant-Breske defense, you have got to be the biggest of them all. :)

Why is seeding NDSU #3 being pessimistic? I'm being realistic, the MVFC hasn't won since WKU almost 10 years ago.
FCS has playoffs, if NDSU is #1, it will be settled on the field.

Squealofthepig
November 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM
5. Maine

yes. Why WOULD you have Maine as #5?

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I could see Sam Houston at 11-0 seeded anywhere from 2nd to 5th. I remember a good many years ago an 11-0 Tennessee St. team from the OVC being seeded #1. They promptly lost in the 1st round. If the NCAA committtee does their job and not just award seeds based mainly on records probably SHSU should be closer to #5 than #2, but I do not have alot of faith in the committee.

ValleyChamp
November 5th, 2011, 11:19 PM

What exactly does UNH or Maine have for "big wins"?

Squealofthepig
November 5th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I could see Sam Houston at 11-0 seeded anywhere from 2nd to 5th. I remember a good many years ago an 11-0 Tennessee St. team from the OVC being seeded #1. They promptly lost in the 1st round. If the NCAA committtee does their job and not just award seeds based mainly on records probably SHSU should be closer to #5 than #2, but I do not have alot of faith in the committee.

Agree. I think the only way for anyone other than NDSU to get the #1 seed is to have NDSU lose. I think after this weekend SHSU is in the 2-4 range, if for no other reason than the fourth and fifth teams are up for grabs still (with SHSU, GSU and NDSU pretty much being a consensus).

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Why is seeding NDSU #3 being pessimistic? I'm being realistic, the MVFC hasn't won since WKU almost 10 years ago.

Well Gil, the SLC has won't it since Louisiana Monroe in 1987. NDSU has more playoff wins than the entire SLC in the past five years and we don't have very many.

dwtime
1. NDSU
2. SHSU
3. MSU
4. GSU
5. Maine

Well Maine has two losses and GSU will have at least two losses before the end of the season, sorry GSU fans I'm predicting a loss against Alabama. Winner of Southern Conference should get a top 5 so if GSU ends there I say they get the seed even with two losses.

ValleyChamp

wtf does WKU 10 years ago have to do with seeding today?

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Well Gil, the SLC has won't it Louisiana Monroe in 1987.

These rankings are not really that important, I'd rather see some playoff wins and a championship.

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Yes I wish Alabama would just send us the money and call it a win. As an Eagle fan I am not really looking forward to the beatdown in Tuscaloosa.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:24 PM
wtf does WKU 10 years ago have to do with seeding today?

Conference strength..................

Fear the Bird
November 5th, 2011, 11:24 PM
so when you say something like this, what is it that you are talking about?

the close NDSU win?

or

the close Georgia Southern win?

or

the close Lehigh win?

or

the close UNI win?

or

the close Towson win?

Wasnt NDSU on bye? UNI not in my top 5...Maine good competition so yes im looking at Lehigh

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I think the SoCon is strong this year so its winner should probably get a #2 or #3 seed. This year it is not that much of a stretch to see 4 SoCon teams in the tourney.

dwtime
November 5th, 2011, 11:27 PM

I can speak for UNH ValleyChamp:

Lehigh, JMU already and if they end up a top five seed you would add Towson and Maine to that 4 wins over top 20 teams (actually add UMass and Richmond to that statement as they were in the top 20 at the time of those games too)

Squealofthepig
November 5th, 2011, 11:27 PM

No dog in this fight, first. Just listing games that were impressive either because of team's CURRENT standings, or for other reasonable qualifications

UNI: @SFA; vs. ISUb; vs. YSU (SFA isn't a super impressive win, except that it was early and on the road). Win out and UNI should be in the seed conversation.

UNH: @Lehigh (in OT); vs. UMass. If UNH wins out (at Towson, vs Maine), hard to argue they're not seed-caliber. I think they'll drop one of those, but should still host one.

Maine: @Albany (ooc road game against a tough team, though this lost some luster today); vs. Delaware. Also played Pitt close. Like UNH, also control their own fate in conference.

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I agree that unless NDSU loses they are the #1 seed. After that there is going to be debate from about 7-8 teams about the other 4 seeds.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:30 PM
No dog in this fight, first. Just listing games that were impressive either because of team's CURRENT standings, or for other reasonable qualifications

UNI: @SFA; vs. ISUb; vs. YSU (SFA isn't a super impressive win, except that it was early and on the road). Win out and UNI should be in the seed conversation.

UNH: @Lehigh (in OT); vs. UMass. If UNH wins out (at Towson, vs Maine), hard to argue they're not seed-caliber. I think they'll drop one of those, but should still host one.

Maine: @Albany (ooc road game against a tough team, though this lost some luster today); vs. Delaware. Also played Pitt close. Like UNH, also control their own fate in conference.

If Montana wins the brawl, they just may be in the seedings race.

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Let's say GSU beats Wofford next Saturday and wins the SoCon autobid. Should a blowout loss at Alabama the following week impact their seeding?

ValleyChamp
November 5th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Conference strength..................

Yet you have a SLC team at the top?

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 11:32 PM
These rankings are not really that important, I'd rather see some playoff wins and a championship.

Being a 1 or 2 seed is a big deal, every game is in your house until Frisco as long as you keep on winning.

dwtime
November 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Let's say GSU beats Wofford next Saturday and wins the SoCon autobid. Should a blowout loss at Alabama the following week impact their seeding?

I don't think so, conference champ, strong conference, only one FCS loss I'd give them a seed but probably not a 1 or 2 seed.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Being a 1 or 2 seed is a big deal, every game is in your house until Frisco as long as you keep on winning.

I agree with the real seedings, not messageboard seedings, will the committee look at the performance of last years MVFC champ in the playoffs.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 11:34 PM

It shouldn't, bama would slaughter any FCS team.

katstrapper
November 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM
NDSU
MSU
GSU
UNI
SHSU

In that order.

So, SHSU finishes out 11-0 and you would place them a #5 seed?xlolxxlolx If SHSU finshes 11-0 and is anything lower that #3 then that is a freaking joke... and definitely all you people that think SHSU should be a lower seed then you dont know much either.

This team is good. Look past the record and look at the stats. I would put this team against anyone at this point. Yeah sure SE La is 2-7 overall, but they had the #7 ranked offense in the nation averaging 433 yds/game and SHSU defense held them to 9 points and 248yds total offense. I cant wait till this team gets to the playoffs so they can shut up all the naysayers, which is pretty much everyone east of the Mississippi.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I agree with the real seedings, not messageboard seedings, will the committee look at the performance of last years MVFC champ in the playoffs.

But gil you have an SLC team as #1, last year's SLC champ was probably more disappointing than UNI considering they were slaughtered at home.

Squealofthepig
November 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM
If Montana wins the brawl, they just may be in the seedings race.

I'm not convinced of that - I think a lot else has to happen to help us in that regard. I think NDSU, SHSU and GSU are pretty much shoe-ins for seeds (absent a major upset), and a second place SoCon or Valley team and the first place CAA should have more quality wins than the Griz. If we win the Brawl, I would guess we host a game in the second round, which would be absolutely fine by me - I just want to get back to the playoffs, and I'm thrilled with the strides all of the Big Sky Conference teams are making.

But, hey, in the conversation would be nice - that's just nice to even consider in November. xthumbsupx

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:37 PM
The SoCon is rated right now as the #1 conference this year in FCS football. So it would make some sense for the SoCon autobid winner to at least be seeded #3, right?

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:38 PM
But gil you have an SLC team as #1, last year's SLC champ was probably more disappointing than UNI considering they were slaughtered.

SHSU beat SFA by a bigger margin than UNI, according to Clenz, UNI and NDSU are EQUAL.

ValleyChamp
November 5th, 2011, 11:38 PM

You are not good at this.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:39 PM
You are not good at this.

You are losing at this game already. ;)

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:40 PM
If the committee looks at conference strength I could see an 11-0 SHSU being seeded #5, but I don't think that will happen.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 11:41 PM
The SoCon is rated right now as the #1 conference this year in FCS football. So it would make some sense for the SoCon autobid winner to at least be seeded #3, right?

It depends on what happens. What if Wofford beats GSU but loses to Chatty. Does any SoCon team get a seed? If GSU wins or Wofford wins out then I would put them in 3-4 range.

ValleyChamp
November 5th, 2011, 11:43 PM
SHSU beat SFA by a bigger margin than UNI, according to Clenz, UNI and NDSU are EQUAL.

You do not even know what is being argued anymore, old man.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:44 PM
You do not even know what is being argued anymore, old man.

Like I say, you are losing at this game ;)

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I would agree with that. If GSU beats Wofford and then gets killed by Alabama I would argue a 9-2 GSU teams with 1 FCS loss (to App.) would be deserving of a #3 seed (and possibly consideration as a #2). If Wofford beat GSU and then Chatt and finishes 9-2 with 1 FCS loss and 1 FBS loss (to Clemson), I would also argue Wofford deserving of at least a #3 seed.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I would agree with that. If GSU beats Wofford and then gets killed by Alabama I would argue a 9-2 GSU teams with 1 FCS loss (to App.) would be deserving of a #3 seed (and possibly consideration as a #2). If Wofford beat GSU and then Chatt and finishes 9-2 with 1 FCS loss and 1 FBS loss (to Clemson), I would also argue Wofford deserving of at least a #3 seed.

They might take into account total DI wins, so teams playing DII teams might get hurt in the seedings.

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Yes we had no business playing Tusculum this year. I would have much prefered to go to NDSU. Our coach is insistent on 6 home games every year and it 1 of our 3 non-conference games is at a big 1A school, that means our other 2 non-conference games have to be home games. That limits scheduling a good bit.

ValleyChamp
November 5th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Like I say, you are losing at this game ;)

Hey look everyone, Gil can say idiotic things and use emoticons. He's so smart.

JSUBison
November 5th, 2011, 11:54 PM
If the committee looks at conference strength I could see an 11-0 SHSU being seeded #5, but I don't think that will happen.

They might take into account total DI wins, so teams playing DII teams might get hurt in the seedings.

The Southland Conference OOC wins:
You don't think this stellar Southland OOC slate would impress the committee?

New Mexico
Western Illinois
UTSA
Savannah St
Henderson St
Delta St
McMurry
Sioux Falls
Texas College
Incarnate Word
Evangel

I don't even know what half of those schools are. Aside from the top 4, it looks like a Pioneer OOC schedule.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 11:55 PM

Name calling usually comes in as a last resort, just sayin.

Squealofthepig
November 5th, 2011, 11:55 PM

I thought pedantic, boring arguments about NDSU were only allowed from Sioux fans? xpeacex

ValleyChamp
November 5th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Name calling usually comes in as a last resort, just sayin.

K. You be sure and let me know when some name calling takes place.

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Those are some big out of conferences tests right there.

ValleyChamp
November 5th, 2011, 11:58 PM
The Southland Conference OOC wins:
You don't think this stellar Southland OOC slate would impress the committee?

New Mexico
Western Illinois
UTSA
Savannah St
Henderson St
Delta St
McMurry
Sioux Falls
Texas College
Incarnate Word
Evangel

I don't even know what half of those schools are. Aside from the top 4, it looks like a Pioneer OOC schedule.

Doesn't matter. Because WKU won the title 10 years ago, UNI lost to Lehigh last year, and SHSU beat SFA by more than UNI did this year. Get it? Me either.

eaglewraith
November 6th, 2011, 12:03 AM

Losses to FBS teams do not affect seeding right before the playoffs.

Case in point: App a few years back got the #1 seed after getting waxed by Florida in the last game of the season. Committee themselves have also admitted that a loss to an FBS team would not hurt you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2011, 05:57 AM
1. SHSU
2. Montana St
3. NDSU4. GSU
5. Lehigh

What?

NDSU wins out they are the #1....period!! If we end up 10-1 then we would be a #3.

No_Skill
November 6th, 2011, 07:04 AM

There are only a few givens in this world. Death, taxes, and Gill will always place the Bison well below any group ranking.

Gil Dobie
November 6th, 2011, 07:20 AM
What?

NDSU wins out they are the #1....period!! If we end up 10-1 then we would be a #3.

Had NDSU #4 last week, moved them up when Maine lost.

Gil Dobie
November 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM
There are only a few givens in this world. Death, taxes, and Gill will always place the Bison well below any group ranking.

Last year my poll was rejected when I had NDSU #2 after the playoffs. NDSU came the closest to beating the National Champion in the playoffs last year. They were the 2nd best team that I saw play last year, EWU was #1.

Where did you all have NDSU after the playoffs.

TexasTerror
November 6th, 2011, 07:58 AM
SHSU will be a top three seed if undefeated... if they lose, they fall out - though figure we might get a home game in the second round.

No_Skill
November 6th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Last year my poll was rejected when I had NDSU #2 after the playoffs. NDSU came the closest to beating the National Champion in the playoffs last year. They were the 2nd best team that I saw play last year, EWU was #1.

Where did you all have NDSU after the playoffs.

Rejected for that? Hard to see the point in voting when it's moderated to that extent.

Gil Dobie
November 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Rejected for that? Hard to see the point in voting when it's moderated to that extent.

I agree. I moved the championship game loser, the team that lost on a neutral field, up and resubmitted, but it was too late.

MTfan4life
November 6th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I agree. I moved the championship game loser, the team that lost on a neutral field, up and resubmitted, but it was too late.

Just because you played the team that won it the closest, it doesn't mean you're the second best team. By that logic, I would have put MSU #1 because they beat the team that won it all. The final poll is for the full season. Sure NDSU played the winner close, but they also lost five games. (Missouri St.)

Gil Dobie
November 6th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Just because you played the team that won it the closest, it doesn't mean you're the second best team. By that logic, I would have put MSU #1 because they beat the team that won it all. The final poll is for the full season. Sure NDSU played the winner close, but they also lost five games. (Missouri St.)

If you read my previous post, I stated that I thought NDSU was the second best team I saw play. My second post, that you are replying to, was to add color commentary.

No_Skill
November 6th, 2011, 09:39 AM

OK, so by your logic if NDSU goes undefeated and loses to Georgetown in the final, NDSU should still be voted #1, right?

MTfan4life
November 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM
OK, so by your logic if NDSU goes undefeated and loses to Georgetown in the final, NDSU should still be voted #1, right?

No, the winner deserves to be #1. The playoffs decide the best team in the FCS. Everything else is ranked by resume.

No_Skill
November 6th, 2011, 10:14 AM
No, the winner deserves to be #1. The playoffs decide the best team in the FCS. Everything else is ranked by resume.

So the other scenario plays out and NDSU beats Georgetown in the final. You would not place Georgetown at #2 because of their weaker regular season as opposed to say UNI who lost by 1 to NDSU in the semis?

I realize the difficult position that the voters are in, but I don't think you can throw out voting consistency simply for the need to validate the playoff system by voting the winner #1.

Green26
November 6th, 2011, 11:44 AM
What changes if Montana beats Montana St?

Tod
November 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
What changes if Montana beats Montana St?

Depends on what happens in the CAA, etc., but I believe Montana would get the 5 seed. MSU might get the 5 and Montana the 4, if the CAA and SoCon teams continue to beat each other up. NDSU and SHSU almost definitely are seeded. UNI is in the picture too, of course.

I-16Bandit
November 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM
It shouldn't, bama would slaughter any college football team.

FIFY.