View Full Version : Losing to a MEAC or SWAC team.

Bulldog87
May 8th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Question,no smack or racism meant but with all of the discussion about MEAC and SWAC football being inferior to other conferences how would supporters of schools from those "stronger" conferences feel if their team should happen to lose to a MEAC or SWAC team? Last night I was constantly reminded by a current Coastal student and his uncle that we lost to CCU last season in our building after I vowed that this would'nt happen for at least 10 years and had to pay both of them cash for my bad prdiction. The CCU student feels that there's no way SCSU or any HBCU for that matter can or ever will beat the Chants and if this happen it should be a fireable offense for the coaching staff? How many agree with his assesment?

OL FU
May 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Power shifts and changes over time. I do believe the SWAC and MEAC are weaker than some of the other conferences at present but I also remember the Bulldogs handing some good Paladin teams heartbreaking losses.

One thing I learned is never say never.

Looking forward to the next time we play.

RabidRabbit
May 8th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Power shifts and changes over time. I do believe the SWAC and MEAC are weaker than some of the other conferences at present but I also remember the Bulldogs handing some good Paladin teams heartbreaking losses.

One thing I learned is never say never.

Looking forward to the next time we play.

I love getting the opportunity to play either of these two conferences. Unfortunately for them, I haven't seen many successful forays against GPI top 25 programs by either conference lately. But AGS....next GWFC vs (SWAC or MEAC) is NDSU vs MVSU. Predictions are going heavily for Bison to win this game in Fargo.

walliver
May 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Last night I was constantly reminded by a current Coastal student and his uncle that we lost to CCU last season in our building after I vowed that this would'nt happen for at least 10 years and had to pay both of them cash for my bad prdiction. The CCU student feels that there's no way SCSU or any HBCU for that matter can or ever will beat the Chants and if this happen it should be a fireable offense for the coaching staff? How many agree with his assesment?

SCSU has beaten Furman on several occasions, and 2 of the last 3 games against Wofford were decided by missed PATs, so losing to a MEAC team is not necessarily out of the question. CCU has had a few good seasons playing primarily second-rate opponents. This success has lead a few CCU fans to loose contact with reality. If CCU loses to SCSU, David Bennett will not be fired or forced to resign. After all, he didn't get fired after losing to Charleston Southern.

89Hen
May 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM
The CCU student feels that there's no way SCSU or any HBCU for that matter can or ever will beat the Chants and if this happen it should be a fireable offense for the coaching staff? How many agree with his assesment?
Not I. That's a ridiculous notion IMO. BTW, just remind him... Newberry 21 - Coastal 7. :p

rokamortis
May 8th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Not I. That's a ridiculous notion IMO. BTW, just remind him... Newberry 21 - Coastal 7. :p
:doh:

Anyway - I agree with the others. I don't know who you have been talking too and your cousin / uncle may be just giving you a hard time.

SCSU is viewed as a good program around here. Not many people expected us to win last year, and we barely did. We expect a hard fought game this year. I guess with anything, you have to look at the program. Losing to SCSU is not a fireable offense, losing to Savannah State probably is.

GAD
May 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM
What is Delawares record vs SWAC teams?

CoastalFan2005
May 8th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Last night I was constantly reminded by a current Coastal student and his uncle that we lost to CCU last season in our building after I vowed that this would'nt happen for at least 10 years and had to pay both of them cash for my bad prdiction. The CCU student feels that there's no way SCSU or any HBCU for that matter can or ever will beat the Chants and if this happen it should be a fireable offense for the coaching staff? How many agree with his assesment?

I don't know what CCU student you were talking to, but I'm sure they were just giving you an exceptionally hard time. I highly doubt that SCSU will just lay down when they come to Conway this year. This guy's opinion is pretty much wrong. Because on "Any Given Saturday," any team can win any game. Take a poll of who though we had a shot of beating JMU last year BEFORE the game started. Just one example.

AppGuy04
May 8th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, any prediction like that seems a little bit of alcohol was involved. But just for clarification, I don't really see the Big South with any room to talk, other than Coastal, and thats a stretch, I don't see any "power" in that conference

89Hen
May 8th, 2006, 01:11 PM
What is Delawares record vs SWAC teams?
I don't think UD has played a SWAC team since joining I-AA. I think you'd have to go back to the 1973 DII first round playoffs for a game, Grambling 17 - Delaware 8.

grizband
May 8th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I personally think that losing to a SWAC/MEAC school would be just as bad as losing to almost any other school (save losing to MSU or a division 2 school).

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Question,no smack or racism meant but with all of the discussion about MEAC and SWAC football being inferior to other conferences how would supporters of schools from those "stronger" conferences feel if their team should happen to lose to a MEAC or SWAC team?

Lehigh has never played a MEAC or SWAC team. Personally I would love to have Lehigh play one, either at home or on the road. Delaware State, Howard or Morgan State would be the best candidates for us to play during the season - maybe Hampton.

For the Patriot League, I have a hard time saying that the MEAC or SWAC is "inferior" to the Patriot League, playoff records nonwithstanding. The only means of comparison I have is the (few) matchups we've had with MEAC teams and playoff record. Part of the problem is the dreaded "9 game madate" of the SWAC, which means that SWAC teams don't get much opportunity to prove themselves outside HBCU matchups. To a lesser but important extent, MEAC schools have a lot of MEAC league games and classic matchups that leave few opportunities to prove themselves against other Top 25 I-AA teams.

As with any league, "there are MEAC teams, and there are MEAC teams." I'd have loved to watch Hampton or SC State play Lehigh last year - I think they would have been great games. Lehigh playing Morgan State or NC A&T last year? Eh, I'd have expected a sound Lehigh win.

Judging a league by your mediocre or worst teams, IMO, is always a mistake. Many many people do it, with or without the aid of alcohol, but you can't judge leagues - you can only judge teams. You could look at 1-11 Holy Cross in 2003 (the worst PL team that year) and say "Boy, the Patriot League sucks", and totally miss Colgate's team that went 15-1 and went to the championship game.

The short answer to your question is, last year anyway, a loss to Hampton or SC State last year is nothing to feel ashamed about. Losing to Morgan State, though? Ewwwwwwww.

May 8th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Not I. That's a ridiculous notion...X______________ Co-sign:nod:

HIU 93
May 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
The short answer to your question is, last year anyway, a loss to Hampton or SC State last year is nothing to feel ashamed about. Losing to Morgan State, though? Ewwwwwwww.

That is one of the most intelligent things I have seen on AGS ever.:hurray:

3rd Coast Tiger
May 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM
TT must not have seen this thread yet. xlolx

AppGuy04
May 8th, 2006, 02:26 PM

and when he does, I think his answer might surrpise you

89rabbit
May 8th, 2006, 02:31 PM
We were happy to get out of Mumford with a 7 point win a couple of seasons ago. It was a great game, and Southern's fans were first class, and I would not have thought less of my team or our coaches had we lost. I would love a chance to host Southern, it would be great having them come up to Brookings.

McNeese75
May 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM
We were happy to get out of Mumford with a 7 point win a couple of seasons ago. It was a great game, and Southern's fans were first class, and I would not have thought less of my team or our coaches had we lost. I would love a chance to host Southern, it would be great having them come up to Brookings.

I like your enthusiasm but we all know that is not going to happen :rotateh: You got the game in 2004 because you were not asking for a home and home series.

GAD
May 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM
X______________ Co-sign:nod:
SWACpage is really rubbing off on you Ralph!

89rabbit
May 8th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I like your enthusiasm but we all know that is not going to happen :rotateh: You got the game in 2004 because you were not asking for a home and home series.

Actually the contract was written in a way that specified that if Southern made the return trip up North that we would pay them the same guarantee that they paid us. Or basically a delayed home and home. I think the second game if it was going to happen was supposed to happen next season. With that said either school could call the second game off without a penalty (things were very up in the air with SWAC schedules that year if you recall) and since I haven't heard a thing about SU since '04 (and we have 6 home games tentatively scheduled already*) , I would guess we won't be seeing the Jags in SD.

Still it would be fun!

* Tentative 2007 Home Schedule
Cal Poly
NDSU
S Utah
Montana
SF Austin
Texas State

McNeese75
May 8th, 2006, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=89rabbit]I would guess we won't be seeing the Jags in SD.[QUOTE]

:rolleyes: :nod:

Freightliner
May 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Looking up Texas State's SWAC record I found this:

Wins: 15
Losses: 2

Games were played between 1976-2002.

In so far as losing to a SWAC/MEAC team...some fans consider it to be a loss against an poor conference team - "a staff killer" . Me however, IMHO, a loss is a loss whether or not the team is a powerhouse I-AA or Div II program.

just my :twocents:

TexasTerror
May 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Sorry, was at work...working! :)

In regards to playing a SWAC school or MEAC school and losing, would I feel inferior?

Any Given Saturday, right? That's what's so great about football. You play the games on the field and the teams put their best foot forward (or so you hope). I don't want to lose to anyone. Whether they be a Big 12 school, NAIA school, Div II school and most importantly, I-AA school. I want my team to put their best effort forward and get a win for the orange and white! :nod:

If we lost, would I feel inferior? I hope we don't lose, but a loss is a loss, especially if it's a Division I game. You still need those seven wins to qualify for the at-large. I don't care if we're playing Montana, Lehigh or Texas Southern! If we have a Div I game on the schedule, we need to win that game because we need to move closer to the seven games.

If your competing for an at-large, obviously there are "bad losses" to teams with lower GPIs and yes, the SWAC typically has a low GPI. However, when it comes down to it, that loss is making us harder to get to the seven game minimum and that's all I care about. We get in the playoffs, we're among the 16 teams that have a chance for a national title. SHSU wants to compete for a national title!

The SWAC and MEAC teams, if on our schedule, are just rungs on the ladder we need to take care of to get there. If they get in our way and beat us, more power to them, it just makes the ladder seem longer and tougher to climb...

I'd personally love to play SWAC foes in football! MEAC is a bit of a road trip for us, but SWAC works out...let's get it on! :hurray:

blur2005
May 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I think it depends on which programs you lose to when it comes to the MEAC and SWAC. If you lose to Hampton or SC State (or Florida A&M on a good year) from the MEAC, they're the strong programs there. If you lose to Grambling, same thing. If you lose to Texas Southern or Morgan State, that's currently unacceptable for a good team, though those progams could turn it around. Really, it just depends on who is up or down in those league's. Last year, losing to Alabama A&M was not unexpected; this year it could be Alcorn State.

But really, losing period is bad when you need seven wins to even have a shot at an at-large, and though it's technically seven, you really need eight.

mikebigg
May 8th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I don't think UD has played a SWAC team since joining I-AA. I think you'd have to go back to the 1973 DII first round playoffs for a game, Grambling 17 - Delaware 8.

I remember because it was my junior year in high school...so long ago. I would like to see a game between Grambling and some other D1AA's. But Grambling likes to have Classic type games. I was thinking maybe (posted on another thread using NWSU) that a home/home/neutral site would be something that would be good revenue games with the right matchups. This would be easier with a 12 game schedule...but that's kinda tough on playoff participating teams.

bisonguy
May 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM
NDSU has only played one SWAC team, ever, although that will change this year.

NDSU faced Grambling in 1965 in the Pecan Bowl to determine the College Divsion champion. NDSU won 20-7 :hurray:

May 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
SWACpage is really rubbing off on you Ralph!Five year member and financial contributor of that site and proud of it!

mikebigg
May 8th, 2006, 07:35 PM
NDSU has only played one SWAC team, ever, although that will change this year.

NDSU faced Grambling in 1965 in the Pecan Bowl to determine the College Divsion champion. NDSU won 20-7 :hurray:

Yall did that... that Grambling had Buck Buchanan, Ernie Ladd, Frank Cornish.

GaSouthern
May 9th, 2006, 01:12 PM
well I for one want SCSU to join the SoCon, along with CCU... if we can drop Elon!

GaSouthern
May 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Question,no smack or racism meant but with all of the discussion about MEAC and SWAC football being inferior to other conferences how would supporters of schools from those "stronger" conferences feel if their team should happen to lose to a MEAC or SWAC team? Last night I was constantly reminded by a current Coastal student and his uncle that we lost to CCU last season in our building after I vowed that this would'nt happen for at least 10 years and had to pay both of them cash for my bad prdiction. The CCU student feels that there's no way SCSU or any HBCU for that matter can or ever will beat the Chants and if this happen it should be a fireable offense for the coaching staff? How many agree with his assesment?

that was in reference to this post

jstate83
May 9th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Looking up Texas State's SWAC record I found this:

Wins: 15
Losses: 2

Games were played between 1976-2002.

In so far as losing to a SWAC/MEAC team...some fans consider it to be a loss against an poor conference team - "a staff killer" . Me however, IMHO, a loss is a loss whether or not the team is a powerhouse I-AA or Div II program.

just my :twocents:
You have only played 2 SWAC teams in your history................
P. View and Texas Southern....................with P. View winning in 1976 and 1977.
Not a good measuring stick.......................No Smack P. View and Tx. SOU.

Until last year, JSU had not lost to P.View in 34 years.......Counting '76 and '77.
Tx. Sou has only 2 wins since the early 70's against us........starting in '71.

jstate83
May 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I think it depends on which programs you lose to when it comes to the MEAC and SWAC. If you lose to Hampton or SC State (or Florida A&M on a good year) from the MEAC, they're the strong programs there. If you lose to Grambling, same thing. If you lose to Texas Southern or Morgan State, that's currently unacceptable for a good team, though those progams could turn it around. Really, it just depends on who is up or down in those league's. Last year, losing to Alabama A&M was not unexpected; this year it could be Alcorn State.

But really, losing period is bad when you need seven wins to even have a shot at an at-large, and though it's technically seven, you really need eight.

: smash : : smash : Correct..................that's with every conference.
Lose to the top dog................Ho HUm, get them next time.

Lose to the bottom pup...................Your coaches better start looking elsewhere for work.

windwalker
May 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM
The CCU student feels that there's no way SCSU or any HBCU for that matter can or ever will beat the Chants and if this happen it should be a fireable offense for the coaching staff?

The key word is "student"... must be young and dumb. Heck next time you talk to him, just say "SUPER SAFETY" that should shut him up.

SCSU comes to CCU this year, and I feel it will be one heck of a battle. Looking forward to the game.