PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Conference Power Rankings - Week 10

dgreco
November 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I figured I would do the power rankings again this week. Especially since Bryant came off a nice win and got to prove some teams wrong :D

1. Duquesne - The Dukes have two very winnable games and look to be the best team in the conference right now. I know Albany was on a roll, but Duquense gets back in the number 1 spot.

2. Albany - I actually think they might be the #3 team in the conference with losing some DB's, but they have been the cream of the crop the past few weeks so they cannot fall that far. Unfortunately they have another really tough game next week and no cake walk the last week of the season.

3. Bryant - I may be peacocking for them, but they have a good team. The first game of the season they were missing 7 starters and still had a chance if not for 3 redzone INTs. Also, the only two conference losses were due again to backup QB play that made some bad decisions (even though overall the backup has played decent at times). I think Bryant probably has the easiest last two games of the season.

4. Monmouth - They got a good win vs. Bryant 3 weeks ago, a good win against SHU 2 weeks ago and a not so bad loss to Duquense last week. I think Monmouth has played above their head though and are probably right where we thought they would be.

5. SHU - the Pioneers have had a weird season. They have had some bad losses and some nice wins. They also have had some nice winning streaks, but took a tough loss today. I think the Pioneers unfortunately lose their last two games and end on a three game lossing streak; which puts a damper on the pretty good season.

6. Central Connecticut - Probably the most disappointing season for any team in the NEC. They have had injuries that have hurt them and seem to be missing some of the key players that they used to have and used to rely on. They may be a lower ranked team but I gave them a bump over RMU because of the win today.

7. RMU - RMU has had a very under the radar type season. I feel like they have made no headlines and it is always a game that just doesn't seem to matter much. I think they are probably having an underachieving season, especially after last years nice season.

8. Wagner - Wagner has just not been impressive all year. They have a few close games, but only a win over St. Francis and then a nice win against Sacred Heart today. Probably a wasted season, but Doscher was hurt for a good deal of the season and that doesn't help.

9. St. Francis - Although they are last in the conference standings I think they have had a lot of close games and could be a little better. Overall, I think they are putting together an okay season and should be able to build on the season next year.... But we say that every year, don't we?

------------------------------------------------------
If I had to predict the rest of the season and the final standings:

1. Duquesne - 9-2 (7-1)
2. Bryant - 8-3 (6-2)
3. Monmouth - 7-4 (6-2) *tossup but I think Monmouth steals the game vs. Albany
4. Albany - 7-4 (6-2)
5. SHU 5-6 (3-5)
6. RMU 3-8 (3-5)
7. Central Connecticut 3-8 (2-6)
8. Wagner 2-9 (2-6)
9. St. Francis 2-9 (1-7)

Seawolf97
November 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Just when I thought Albany was lock. Tough afternoon for the Danes.

dgreco
November 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Just when I thought Albany was lock. Tough afternoon for the Danes.

I was obviously always rooting for Bryant, but I thought Albany had it locked up. Now it will be an exciting last two weeks.

bjtheflamesfan
November 5th, 2011, 09:02 PM
dgreco tell me if Im understanding the autobid scenarios for the NEC correctly:

Albany still can clinch with a win and a Duquesne loss either of the next two weeks. Monmouth and Sacred Heart are longshots. For Sacred Heart to earn the AQ they must defeat BOTH Albany and Duquesne in consecutive weeks. Duquesne wins the autobid with two wins and an Albany loss either of their last two games. Monmouth needs to win out and have Sacred Heart lose once and Duquesne and Albany lose twice

dgreco
November 5th, 2011, 09:20 PM
dgreco tell me if Im understanding the autobid scenarios for the NEC correctly:

If Both Duquesne and Albany win out Albany gets the autobid over Duquesne because of Head-to-Head.

So for all the remaining teams.

These should be the most common... there are obviously more, I can run through them (with different types of tiebreakers)

Albany wins autobid if:
Albany wins out
Duquesne loses one

Duquesne wins autobid if:
Albany loses at least one more game than Duquesne

Monmouth wins autobid if:
Monmouth wins both games
Bryant loses two
Albany loses two
Duquesne loses two
-if any three way ties (Albany/Duquesne/Bryant/Sacred Heart) they will not win the conference.

SHU wins autobid if:
SHU wins both of their games
Albany loses two
Duquesne loses two
Monmouth loses one
Bryant loses two
-SHU wins tiebreaker with Duquesne because of head-to-head win. If Bryant loses only one its a three way tie, Bryant wins conference, but autobid still goes to SHU
------------
Bryant - If Duquesne loses its last two and Albany loses one of two then the Bulldogs get the conference championship, but cannot represent the conference (would go to the Dukes because of three way tiebreaker (best record))
RMU, CCSU, Wagner, St. Francis --- Cannot win the conference

bjtheflamesfan
November 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM
So at this point Sacred Heart is the longest shot of all of them I guess

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I'm just back from my game in Easton and looking through these scores. The NEC was turned upside-down today! And no one can blame the weather.

danefan
November 6th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Crazy week, but Albany still controls our own destiny. Win out and we're in no matter what.

dgreco
November 6th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Crazy week, but Albany still controls our own destiny. Win out and we're in no matter what.

I think the Monmouth game could be a toss-up game, but Albany should be able to win that game.

I sort of hope Albany wins the division and Duquesne wins out and then they somehow get in as an at-large.

dgreco
November 7th, 2011, 08:48 AM
So at this point Sacred Heart is the longest shot of all of them I guess

In reality SHU has a 1% chance and it just won't happen; but they still have had a really good season.

blackbeard
November 7th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Well the Pioneers threw away a golden opportunity to make it interesting with 2 pic-6 in the 2nd half. A year that has far exceeded expectations but it will now be difficult to pick up a win in these remaining two games and get a winning season.

I haven't seen Albany and Duquesne play yet but Bryant is by far the best NEC school I have seen. Very solid and disciplined, and with the best RB I have seen in the FCS. He would easily make a lot of FBS school much better.

dgreco
November 7th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Well the Pioneers threw away a golden opportunity to make it interesting with 2 pic-6 in the 2nd half. A year that has far exceeded expectations but it will now be difficult to pick up a win in these remaining two games and get a winning season.

I haven't seen Albany and Duquesne play yet but Bryant is by far the best NEC school I have seen. Very solid and disciplined, and with the best RB I have seen in the FCS. He would easily make a lot of FBS school much better.

IS SHU a young team? How many players are expected to be back next year? The Bryant game they did not look very good, but they seemed to grow and get better as the season went on.

blackbeard
November 8th, 2011, 03:11 PM
IS SHU a young team? How many players are expected to be back next year? The Bryant game they did not look very good, but they seemed to grow and get better as the season went on.

On recent depth charts they have 8 true freshmen on the 2 deep roster, including 3 of 4 starting DB's in recent games. Only 9 Seniors on the 2 deep roster. And at the start of the year you had a 2 quarterback system (both redshirt Sophs) with neither guy to have ever taken a snap for the Pioneers.

So overall I would say they are very young and have matured a lot since the start of the season.

dgreco
November 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
On recent depth charts they have 8 true freshmen on the 2 deep roster, including 3 of 4 starting DB's in recent games. Only 9 Seniors on the 2 deep roster. And at the start of the year you had a 2 quarterback system (both redshirt Sophs) with neither guy to have ever taken a snap for the Pioneers.

So overall I would say they are very young and have matured a lot since the start of the season.

That bodes well for SHU; as long as they do not go backwards next year it seems like they could be a top NEC team. I can see SHU finishing easily in the middle third of the league and with some luck maybe the top third.