PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite to win the National Championship?

asknoquarter21
November 5th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Who would your money be on at this point?

Last year we had App State, William and Mary, Delaware, and Eastern Washington that were all playing great toward the end of the year.

Montana State, Georgia Southern, and Villanova also had great teams that people thought could win it all.

I don't see any dominant teams this year.

So who you got?

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Montana is my sleeper pick

Erks Eagles
November 5th, 2011, 03:43 PM
It shouldn't be Georgia Southern. We looked like Western Carolina today.

UIWWildthing
November 5th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Towson :D

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I'd say a Socon team :D honestly, I learned a lesson about looking ahead or talking too much junk. I think Wofford, GSU, and maybe even Furman have a good chance. No offense to App State, but their offense is too inconsistent for me to think of them as championship caliber. They'll make the playoffs and win a game or 2, but I just don't see them winning in Frisco in January

Pards Rule
November 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
NDSU!!

asknoquarter21
It shouldn't be Georgia Southern. We looked like Western Carolina today.

ASU and GSU both had huge letdown games today.

Such emotion in the game last week it is a pretty classic example of a trap game. Fortunately for GSU they escaped with the win. Both teams will drop in the rankings and rightfully so, but I would hate to be the ranked team seeing GSU or ASU as my second round matchup. Much like ASU was last year when we saw Villanova in our bracket.

Gil Dobie
NDSU!!

I would love to see it :)

SeattleGriz
November 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Montana is my sleeper pick

Thanks man, and I was thinking the same up until our starting QB got injured today. Not sure how bad it is, but the backup doesn't move the team nearly as well.

Was stoked after our offensive play against Weber, but this week we look almost pedestrian against a decent DII team.

4 FG is all we have scored in the first half.

asknoquarter21
November 5th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I'd say a Socon team :D honestly, I learned a lesson about looking ahead or talking too much junk. I think Wofford, GSU, and maybe even Furman have a good chance. No offense to App State, but their offense is too inconsistent for me to think of them as championship caliber. They'll make the playoffs and win a game or 2, but I just don't see them winning in Frisco in January

I get your point about ASU's offense. I think a lot of people will look at it that way as well, but ASU moved the ball VERY well today. They just didn't convert, in my opinion because of playcalling, but the offense is still very capable of scoring in bunches.

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I get your point about ASU's offense. I think a lot of people will look at it that way as well, but ASU moved the ball VERY well today. They just didn't convert, in my opinion because of playcalling, but the offense is still very capable of scoring in bunches.

I agree with the scoring in bunches part, but the playcalling is what will mess them up down the line. But honestly, I don't see them making it past the semis at best but they'll probably make it to the quarterfinals

apaladin
November 5th, 2011, 03:53 PM

ASU really didn't move the ball THAT well today. 48 plays in the first half and only 195 yds. FU had 21 plays for 206. ASU ran 33 more plays than FU for the game and managed just 34 more yds than FU.

MTfan4life
November 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Lehigh...In immediate response, LFN changes his name to Lehigh Footbal Nation-al Champs...another poster on here gets a restraining order placed on him from Chris Lum after an unfortunate postgame celebration touching incident. Northeast coast bias reigns true and Harvard is final coaches poll #2.

asknoquarter21
November 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I agree with the scoring in bunches part, but the playcalling is what will mess them up down the line. But honestly, I don't see them making it past the semis at best but they'll probably make it to the quarterfinals

I have thought about that, but I just don't know who beats them. We lost to Wofford with a terrible offensive performance and came out flat against Furman after a very emotional win last week. Not saying those two things are ok, but I think you improve from those mistakes.

I am not one of those that thinks our players are superior athletes to the rest of the FCS, but I do think we still have a very good team capable of beating anyone on any given week. We will need to catch some breaks, but my point of this thread is that i think any team is going to need breaks to win it all this year.

asknoquarter21
November 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM
ASU really didn't move the ball THAT well today. 48 plays in the first half and only 195 yds. FU had 21 plays for 206. ASU ran 33 more plays than FU for the game and managed just 34 more yds than FU.

I see your point, but we had very little success on 1st down. We didn't hit on throws down the field and we throw it deep several times. 12-18 on 3rd down is solid especially considering most of those were 3rd and 6+. We moved it when we needed to despite the best efforts of our coaches.

The stats aren't gonna show what ASU showed today because we were fighting ourselves. We still did some good things though. Solid effort by the Furman D as well. They had us out coached and new what plays we like to call on first down.

Engineer86
November 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Lehigh...In immediate response, LFN changes his name to Lehigh Footbal Nation-al Champs...another poster on here gets a restraining order placed on him from Chris Lum after an unfortunate postgame celebration touching incident. Northeast coast bias reigns true and Harvard is final coaches poll #2.

What are you talking about?

Twentysix
November 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
What are you talking about?

He is in love with TheFan. Your whole fanbase is being painted the way we were painted by mpls and jbb.

Enjoy it. <3

TheBisonator
November 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I'm glad no one's taking NDSU seriously in this thread. No pressure on our guys...

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I'm glad no one's taking NDSU seriously in this thread. No pressure on our guys...

This. We are just from the weak MVFC...carry on.

MTfan4life
November 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Only a couple teams have been mentioned in this thread so far. NDSU is actually one of a handful of teams that was mentioned. How are people not taking them serious in this thread? Should all of us follow trend and circle jerk NDSU in every thread?

TheBisonator
November 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Only a couple teams have been mentioned in this thread so far. NDSU is actually one of a handful of teams that was mentioned. How are people not taking them serious in this thread? Should all of us follow trend and circle jerk NDSU in every thread?

I read a Lafayette fan saying NDSU in one post, otherwise no one else mentioned us.

Thundar
November 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I read a Lafayette fan saying NDSU in one post, otherwise no one else mentioned us.

dont forget to Circle jerk around MT

frozennorth
November 5th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Towson

MTfan4life
November 5th, 2011, 05:03 PM
dont forget to Circle jerk around MT

I don't believe I've bragged up Montana in any single one of my posts on this entire site. I've repped the Bison more than Montana.

Squealofthepig
November 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I don't believe I've bragged up Montana in any single one of my posts on this entire site. I've repped the Bison more than Montana.

Same. It's just one Bison fan exercising his confirmation bias, don't worry about it.

Personally, I do like the Bison; undefeated, FBS win, have won the games they're supposed to and should host every game until Frisco - hard to not like that. All of the other likely playoff teams have more weaknesses.

Hammerhead
November 5th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Until they lose, I've got to think Sam Houston and NDSU are the favorites. I'll pick NDSU simply because I haven't seen Sam Houston play.

frozennorth
November 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Ndsu is probably the favorite, plenty of games left to play though

UNIFanSince1983
November 5th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Up to this point in the season NDSU has been the most impressive team. I just don't see a team from the CAA being able to do it this year. Montana State has to be in this discussion. I was am not really sold on SHSU, but they just keep winning and there is something to be said about that.

I think Wofford could do it, and heck maybe even Lehigh. I really only see one team that has been dominant and that is NDSU.

DJKyR0
November 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I don't see any dominant teams this year.

Bison are winning conference games on average by 13 (24-11) in a league that could very well get four teams into the playoffs. That fits my definition of dominant, or at least "strong."

Wildcat80
November 5th, 2011, 05:30 PM
New Hampshire's defense won the game today vs JMU......a defense to go with our high-powered offense makes UNH the favorite.....assuming we beat Towson AND Maine!

Twentysix
November 5th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Bison are winning conference games on average by 13 (24-11) in a league that could very well get four teams into the playoffs. That fits my definition of dominant, or at least "strong."

If it was the Southeastern valley conference you would have no arguements.

CopperCat
November 5th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I guess the #2 ranked team in the nation will be the sleeper. xlolx

EDIT: MSU's starting RB just went in for his 14th TD of the season, over 1200 yards rushing. And he is splitting carries with another RB that has 600 yards on the season.

Squealofthepig
November 5th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I guess the #2 ranked team in the nation will be the sleeper. xlolx

Oh, we'll see in two weeks! xtroublex xpeacex

Besides: How many #1 ranked teams or #1 seeds have won it all? App did during their threepeat iirc, but they're more the exception than the rule.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Right now I'd say NDSU-Montana State in Frisco, not sure who would win but those are my two top teams with a bullet.

I think one of the three SoCon teams could definitely make a run, SHSU as well and I have no clue what to make of the CAA. UNI is a threat too if their QB comes back and is at 100%.

cbarrier90
November 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Until they lose, I've got to think Sam Houston and NDSU are the favorites.

Alabama or LSU will have a loss after tonight. Does that make them worse than Stanford, Ok. State, or Boise?

Look at the current string of national champions and look at their respective conference's strength. IMO, the teams that have been "battle-tested" during the regular season are the teams with an edge over those who haven't. I know NDSU had an impressive victory over a good UNI team and a solid win on the road at ISU, but week-in, week-out, if you want to find the "battle-tested" teams primed for a run in the playoffs, I think the edge has to go with one of the "Big Four" in the SoCon.

DJKyR0
November 5th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Alabama or LSU will have a loss after tonight. Does that make them worse than Stanford, Ok. State, or Boise?

Look at the current string of national champions and look at their respective conference's strength. IMO, the teams that have been "battle-tested" during the regular season are the teams with an edge over those who haven't. I know NDSU had an impressive victory over a good UNI team and a solid win on the road at ISU, but week-in, week-out, if you want to find the "battle-tested" teams primed for a run in the playoffs, I think the edge has to go with one of the "Big Four" in the SoCon.

I think being Illinois State's only loss in a 6-1 stretch over the past seven games and surviving a gut-check at Southern Illinois, to go along with UNI and Indiana State, qualifies as battle-tested.

Facing Youngstown State next week, who has one of the most electric offenses in the FCS, should only add to that.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2011, 05:44 PM

NDSU beat ISU Red as well, they are pretty salty. They might have the best defense I've seen this year and a very physical RB as well. The MVFC is pretty good this year....NDSU beat MN, Indiana State whooped up on WKU and UNI almost beat a solid Iowa State team.

The MVFC is rated #1 in a few rating systems, Massey for example is one of them. The SoCon is great as well...I think the MVFC and SoCon are pretty close this year.

CopperCat
Oh, we'll see in two weeks! xtroublex xpeacex

Besides: How many #1 ranked teams or #1 seeds have won it all? App did during their threepeat iirc, but they're more the exception than the rule.

One thing is certain: Montana State are back to back Big Sky champs, winners of 9 games in a row. The Brawl this year will be special, and I'll be there to see it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
Has NDSU won every game by double digits? I like them myself.

Twentysix
November 5th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Obviously midwestern kids are stronger thus better at football.

Gotta fight unfounded claims with unfounded claims!

DJKyR0
November 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Has NDSU won every game by double digits? I like them myself.

Only single-digit games all season have been a six-point W at Southern Illinois and an 8-point win at home vs. UNI.

Twentysix
November 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM
307 PF
116 PA

Atleast 23 of the Points against are garbage points (last few minutes versus the backups backups and their backups).

cbarrier90
November 5th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Obviously midwestern kids are stronger thus better at football.

But North Dakota and Minnesota don't produce any athletes! There's no way they can keep up with the speed of players in the South.

That goes for you, too, Montana schools!

Fight the unfounded claim fight! :)

In all seriousness, NDSU reminds me of the 09 Montana team that went to Chattanooga. Great talent at the skill positions, but they play old-school, smashmouth football. In UM's case, they simply lined up with Chase Reynolds in the backfield and dared you to stop the run.

App couldn't. :(

DJKyR0
November 5th, 2011, 05:55 PM
But North Dakota and Minnesota don't produce any athletes! There's no way they can keep up with the speed of players in the South.

That goes for you, too, Montana schools!

Fight the unfounded claim fight! :)

People from the south can't read, therefore playcalling from the sideline is a total crapshoot.

Pards Rule
November 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I would love to see it :)

Go to Frisco and watch in person :)

344Johnson
November 5th, 2011, 06:00 PM
People from North Dakota have nothing better to do than watch football and drink, therefore since we are a more educated fanbase, our drunk opinion means more......

Drblankstare
November 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM
People from North Dakota have nothing better to do than watch football and drink, therefore since we are a more educated fanbase, our drunk opinion means more......

Great, now everyone knows. Grab me another Schmidt will ya xlolx

katstrapper
November 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM
307 PF
116 PA

Atleast 23 of the Points against are garbage points (last few minutes versus the backups backups and their backups).

Kats 9-0 after todays 38-9 win over SE La.

355 PF
108 PA

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
My favorites by records and what fans said here about their teams:

SHSU
NDSU
G Southern
UNI - if rennie stays healthy

katstrapper
November 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM
My favorites by records and what fans said here about their teams:

SHSU
NDSU
G Southern
UNI - if rennie stays healthy

I still wouldnt count out Montana. They always seem to rise to another level when the playoffs approach.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I still wouldnt count out Montana. They always seem to rise to another level when the playoffs approach.

Ya, the 2 Montana schools will be tough to beat.

SeattleGriz
November 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Is that why there hasn't been a team from the SoCon in the National Championships for three years running? Big Sky and CAA the last three years.

ngineer
November 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Didn't UNI go down today?!

Bearkats94
November 5th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Until they lose, I've got to think Sam Houston and NDSU are the favorites. I'll pick NDSU simply because I haven't seen Sam Houston play.

And playing in Frisco will be like a home game for us.

Bearkats94
November 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Unless they are playing on the road.

Engineer86
November 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
He is in love with TheFan. Your whole fanbase is being painted the way we were painted by mpls and jbb.

Enjoy it. <3

Got it

GaSouthern
November 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM
NDSU looks like a steamroller that nobody can stop IMO, they are my pick.

No_Skill
November 5th, 2011, 07:48 PM

No

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Got lucky, had to start back up QB (rs-frosh). YSU has some good young talent. YSU didn't have a penalty until final 4 mins...then imploaded...

MTfan4life
November 5th, 2011, 08:09 PM

UNI 21 YSU 17 ESPN, Yahoo Sports, Fox Sports, college athletic websites....usually good places to check before blindly saying things on forum sites...

UNIFanSince1983
November 5th, 2011, 08:10 PM

I love how teams from the SoCon can play close games or lose to middle to low pack teams in their conference and they are called "tough" or "battle tested", but if a top team in the Valley does it it just shows how weak our conference is. Seriously, the Valley is just as good as any conference in the country this year.

Grizalltheway
November 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Ya, the 2 Montana schools will be tough to beat.

I like to think so, but I'm just not sure about us. Sometimes I get the feeling we lack the killer instinct you need to go all the way.

McNeese75
November 5th, 2011, 08:28 PM
NDSU
MSU
SHSU

Whoever gets the top two seeds and home field throughout will be the favorties (I know captain obvious). That being said, SHSU has a very good team this year but historically their home attendance really sucks so hopefully if they are one of the top seeds their fan base will respond. (Otherwise we may have to round up the wagons and bring some Cowboy fans for them)

katstrapper
November 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM
NDSU
MSU
SHSU

Whoever gets the top two seeds and home field throughout will be the favorties (I know captain obvious). That being said, SHSU has a very good team this year but historically their home attendance really sucks so hopefully if they are one of the top seeds their fan base will respond. (Otherwise we may have to round up the wagons and bring some Cowboy fans for them)

I would send some buses to Lake Chuck and put some Poke fans in orange.. If anything, it would be one hell of a party!!!

I will say this, the SHSU fan base is normally pretty lackluster, but Coach Fritz is determined to change the culture.

NDB
November 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Going with NDSU.

I expect them to win out and get home game throughout the playoffs - I don't see anybody beating Fargo indoors in December.

NDB
November 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Going with NDSU.

I expect them to win out and get home game throughout the playoffs - I don't see anybody beating Fargo indoors in December.

LakesBison
November 5th, 2011, 09:33 PM
THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD ABOUT OUR UPCOMING TITLE>

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?99001-CSJ-North-Dakota-State-Looking-for-a-Real-FCS-Title

MTfan4life
November 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Unless they are playing on the road.

2008 - Montana's last road game in the playoffs: @ #1 seed James Madison. Montana 35 James Madison 27.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Maine.

They may have lost to Towson today, but Towson was hungry after falling to UD last week, and Maine was due for a wake up call. I think the Black Bears bounce back and bring the title back to the CAA where it belongs.

tribefan40
November 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I think NDSU or Wofford/GSU will be the favorite(s), but I will be very interested to see what Towson does come playoff time. Young team, balanced offense, good enough defense. I could see them or Maine getting on a roll and doing some damage. As for the rest of the CAA entries I expect UNH to beat somebody down south and then exit in the second round, as usual. Hopefully ODU gets a bye and two weeks off prepares them to get blown out in the second round. xthumbsupx

DJKyR0
November 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Two things you have to do to win playoff games is take care of the football and play defense. NDSU and SHSU are both in the top 10 in the latter and are tied for #1 in the former as each team has just four lost turnovers on the year. Big part of why both are undefeated and why they're pretty hard not to favor in the playoffs.

LakesBison
November 5th, 2011, 10:24 PM
crosis. NDSU curbstomped MSU AT MSU with a team not as good as the one we have now! do you remember that?

EKUSteve
November 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM
The undefeateds are the favorites until someone beats them in the regular season.

As much as I want my EKU Colonels to win it all, we do not have a strong enough defense to win it.

Grizo406
November 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I'm thinkin' NDSU, but I'd like it to be Montana State, (on a conditional basis only).xcoffeex

CopperCat
November 5th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Great. NDSU beat MSU last year. But unless you are capable of time travel and have seen NDSU play MSU in the playoffs, I don't think MSU is out of it yet for 2011. Luckily for your sake lakes, the NDSU team does not share your arrogance. Otherwise they would have a very early and painful exit from the playoffs.

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I do recall that, but I clearly and specifically mentioned the Southern or Colonial conferences; I believe North Dakota State can beat any team from the Big Sky. If NDSU ends up facing Montana State or Montana, I think NDSU will win. This said, I think this does not occur, NDSU faces a SoCon/CAA team, and MSU or UM end up in the National Championship game. Of course I am just a message board poster and my opinion is just that, my opinion.

I think you also underestimate teams traveling across the country, probably in bad weather to Fargo. The game is hard enough, but traveling to some playoff venues isn't easy either...

Hammerhead
November 6th, 2011, 12:44 AM
So you think Montana or Montana State could beat a Southern or Colonial team, but NDSU could not even though NDSU gave MSU a butt-kicking in last year's playoffs?

I do recall that, but I clearly and specifically mentioned the Southern or Colonial conferences; I believe North Dakota State can beat any team from the Big Sky. If NDSU ends up facing Montana State or Montana, I think NDSU will win. This said, I think this does not occur, NDSU faces a SoCon/CAA team, and MSU or UM end up in the National Championship game. Of course I am just a message board poster and my opinion is just that, my opinion.

elon77
November 6th, 2011, 12:52 AM
ODU.

CopperCat
November 6th, 2011, 12:56 AM
So you think Montana or Montana State could beat a Southern or Colonial team, but NDSU could not even though NDSU gave MSU a butt-kicking in last year's playoffs?

Both UM and MSU would be competetive in ANY playoff game, INCLUDING a game vs. NDSU. If I could pick one game to play, it would be MSU vs. NDSU, and it wouldn't matter where it was.

344Johnson
November 6th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I'm of the belief that NDSU or Georgia Southern are definite favorites.

NDSU is ridiculously efficient when they need to be. Brock Jensen has become a freak of nature as far as keeping drives alive. The defense is top notch. The fact that they haven't lost a game yet is impressive considering they have played 3 ranked opponents (SIU is no longer ranked and they have been losing a lot so i wont count them), but Illinois St. has been looking good, UNI is UNI, and Indiana State is a good squad. Minnesota also has been showing they aren't as bad as people thought they were(maybe NDSU caught them at the right time). NDSU boasts balance on offense, and very good defense. That is a championship combination.

KEEP IN MIND I AM A HOMER.

Georgia Southern.....triple option takes more than a week to get used to. It is tough for scout teams to run, because it is hard to simulate a qb with the ability to read a DE as good as a collegiate qb like GS has. Georgia Southern plays a little defense, is battle tested, the SoCon is no slouch as far as conferences goes. I think there is a good chance they make a run to the ship, especially if the top seed they have is (assuming NDSU and Montana State win out, no guarantee) Montana St., last year, NDSU ran the ball all over the Cats. Not saying Montana St. is bad, but the one game I saw of them against a true running team last season, they couldn't stop it. NDSU completed 9 passes I think, and scored 42 points. Back to my point though, if Georgia Southern plays the way they can they will be in the championship, if only because the offense they run is damn near impossible to prepare for on a weeks notice.

Montana State is my sleeper pick(weird considering they are #2), McGhee is a very good quarterback, but Montana State can have issues from my only experience watching them if the D-line and the O-line of the other team are big guys. Last year(one game, I cant stress that enough), they looked DII out there in the trenches against NDSU, they got outmuscled and got worn down. But if they play teams that are playing that spread style, I think Montana St. has all the makings of a team that can be in Frisco.

Appy St. is another team I look at. Playing in the SoCon is tough. They are well aware of that. And today they got a lesson about playing a team that is hungry down there. Appy is a team(and fanbase ;) ) that expects good things and goes into every game with the attitude that they should win. I really like them too, haven't seen them play really, but if I looked at a playoff bracket and saw they were coming up to Fargo to play SU, I would have a very anxious week (I'm a college kid, my grades would suffer as a result).

Great thing about FCS is we can speculate playoffs. FBS can't do that, and we determine a real battle tested champion in January, unlike them, unless LSU wins, they are battle-tested, love seeing an SEC team play a dang tough OOC schedule.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Both UM and MSU would be competetive in ANY playoff game, INCLUDING a game vs. NDSU. If I could pick one game to play, it would be MSU vs. NDSU, and it wouldn't matter where it was.

IMO, one of the Montana schools will be coming to the FD if NDSU wins out.

Either one will be a good game.

bigchocolate
November 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM

I'm take NDSU very seriously... they are my pick to win the NC. This is one of those rare years where the SoCon and CAA team are good but are not heads and shoulders above the rest of the field. This year's playoff should be very competitive. Good luck to all!

heath
November 6th, 2011, 03:09 PM
2 at large teams play for the title Towson vs Wofford and Wofford wins-actually think bracket pairings will play a huge part in the whole thing and UNI lucks out.

eaglesrback
November 6th, 2011, 03:31 PM

NDSU is ridiculously efficient when they need to be. Brock Jensen has become a freak of nature as far as keeping drives alive. The defense is top notch. The fact that they haven't lost a game yet is impressive considering they have played 3 ranked opponents (SIU is no longer ranked and they have been losing a lot so i wont count them), but Illinois St. has been looking good, UNI is UNI, and Indiana State is a good squad. Minnesota also has been showing they aren't as bad as people thought they were(maybe NDSU caught them at the right time). NDSU boasts balance on offense, and very good defense. That is a championship combination.

Georgia Southern.....triple option takes more than a week to get used to. It is tough for scout teams to run, because it is hard to simulate a qb with the ability to read a DE as good as a collegiate qb like GS has. Georgia Southern plays a little defense, is battle tested, the SoCon is no slouch as far as conferences goes. I think there is a good chance they make a run to the ship, especially if the top seed they have is (assuming NDSU and Montana State win out, no guarantee) Montana St., last year, NDSU ran the ball all over the Cats. Not saying Montana St. is bad, but the one game I saw of them against a true running team last season, they couldn't stop it. NDSU completed 9 passes I think, and scored 42 points. Back to my point though, if Georgia Southern plays the way they can they will be in the championship, if only because the offense they run is damn near impossible to prepare for on a weeks notice.

Montana State is my sleeper pick(weird considering they are #2), McGhee is a very good quarterback, but Montana State can have issues from my only experience watching them if the D-line and the O-line of the other team are big guys. Last year(one game, I cant stress that enough), they looked DII out there in the trenches against NDSU, they got outmuscled and got worn down. But if they play teams that are playing that spread style, I think Montana St. has all the makings of a team that can be in Frisco.

Appy St. is another team I look at. Playing in the SoCon is tough. They are well aware of that. And today they got a lesson about playing a team that is hungry down there. Appy is a team(and fanbase ;) ) that expects good things and goes into every game with the attitude that they should win. I really like them too, haven't seen them play really, but if I looked at a playoff bracket and saw they were coming up to Fargo to play SU, I would have a very anxious week (I'm a college kid, my grades would suffer as a result).

Great thing about FCS is we can speculate playoffs. FBS can't do that, and we determine a real battle tested champion in January, unlike them, unless LSU wins, they are battle-tested, love seeing an SEC team play a dang tough OOC schedule.

Well put, But if the same Eagle's show up at Woffie next week like they did the last 2, it's gonna be a long drive for us, there and back!

Woody Hayes
November 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Can anyone imagine a UNI vs NDSU national championship game?! that would be the most hostile crowd EVER

344Johnson
November 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Can anyone imagine a UNI vs NDSU national championship game?! that would be the most hostile crowd EVER

Riot Police....National Guard...Seal Team Six. Lots of security.

BisonFan02
November 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Riot Police....National Guard...Seal Team Six. Lots of security.

I would be even more hostile if it was held in the Metrodome instead of Frisco, but that obviously wouldn't happen.

achrist70
November 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I would be even more hostile if it was held in the Metrodome instead of Frisco, but that obviously wouldn't happen.

I would almost say that we could fill it too.

Woody Hayes
November 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM

i think that might be a little bit high but that would be CRAZY.

Twentysix
November 6th, 2011, 05:58 PM

NDSU would bring more than the second gopher game for a NC in the metrodome..... Easily 30k+. I bet some gophers who have gotten over the loss would go too.

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2011, 06:36 PM

What if GSU turns it over a couple times and gets down by two scores? From the three games I have watched of GSU, Jaybo Shaw does not have the accuracy to mount any sort of aerial attack comeback.

youwouldno
November 6th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I think it's wide open. The way the bracket is set up will be a factor for sure, since match-ups are so important.

gasoutherneagle
November 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Well put, But if the same Eagle's show up at Woffie next week like they did the last 2, it's gonna be a long drive for us, there and back!

Brent Russell was not playing and really wondering about Shaw's health, that is the ONLY reason I could figure on about the QB tandem we kept doing all game long.

If Shaw is healthy Saturday and Russell is off suspension for putting CrAppy State fans in their place, WE'LL BE FINE!

Hammerhead
November 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Were Furman and Georgia Southern in the same conference when they met in the '85 and '88 championships?

NDSU beat conference foe South Dakota in the '86 D-II championship game.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM

I don't think anybody should discount the hottest team in the toughest Conference, ... especially with the alleged info that quite a few FBS transfers are playing such prominent roles.

kardplayer
November 6th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Were Furman and Georgia Southern in the same conference when they met in the '85 and '88 championships?

I believe they were for the second game

LakesBison
November 6th, 2011, 10:10 PM
NDSU v UNI championship? Frisco would have to triple security, maybe even divide the sections with barbed wire.

NDSU v UNI at Metrodome? 60,000 Sell out, absolutely.

NDSU would bring 35,000
UNI would bring 15,000
Gopher fans would bring 5,000
FCS fans 5000 ?

gasoutherneagle
November 7th, 2011, 03:28 AM

Southern was independent until... 1993 if I'm not mistaken. It was the early-90's when we joined the SoCon. Furman was already a member.

TheRevSFA
November 7th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Sam Houston.

TwoFeathers
November 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM

That's no joke.

TwoFeathers
November 7th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Let's hope there are some Cinderella stories this year, just like Ga Southern and Villanova last year. Makes for great football.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Let's hope there are some Cinderella stories this year, just like Ga Southern and Villanova last year. Makes for great football.

After seeing Furman the last few weeks, I'd not want to see them in the playoffs (provided we can sneak in).

The one problem for the SoCon schools is not a single one of them has won big on the road yet. Maybe the best road win of the year was Furman over UTC or Samford at Furman. That may be indicative of the calibre of competition in the league, or maybe that the SoCon schools really should hope they get home games.

superman7515
November 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Georgetown. I believe that was one of the 7 Signs of the Apocalypse and with Dec 2012 coming before next year's National Championship game, Georgetown will be the last FCS Champion in history.

SeattleGriz
November 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Glad you said it, for I was thinking the same thing. Of course I am way too critical of other teams not named Montana. I have seen two GSU games this year though, so I am not completely talking out my arse.

Ivytalk
November 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM
One of the two teams with Montana in its name will win it.xcoolx

asumike83
November 7th, 2011, 10:34 AM
The one problem for the SoCon schools is not a single one of them has won big on the road yet. Maybe the best road win of the year was Furman over UTC or Samford at Furman. That may be indicative of the calibre of competition in the league, or maybe that the SoCon schools really should hope they get home games.

A good bit of both, road wins over any of the top 4 SoCon teams will be VERY tough to come by.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2011, 10:36 AM
NDSU, Montana St, and Sam Houston. The only teams left still undefeated against FCS competition.

Squealofthepig
November 7th, 2011, 10:42 AM

UTC winning at (obviously non-conference) EKU is looking like a pretty good road win, too, just to help bolster the point of the SoCon's strength.

LEHIGH61
November 7th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Of course, Lehigh is my favorite. But Sam Houston looks like the logical pick.

cannonballgsu
November 7th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Furman.

andy7171
November 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I don't think anybody should discount the hottest team in the toughest Conference, ... especially with the alleged info that quite a few FBS transfers are playing such prominent roles.

Besides DiSanzo at LB, which other transfer is prominent? Phifer is behind true freshman West at RB, and Jones isn't even in the rotation. Kinnard has been a nice RB/WR/PR/KR contributor. I guess if you consider Romale Tucker a transfer, but he transferred after redshirting at Syracuse. This is his third year starting at DE.

unigriff
November 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM
NDSU, Montana State, SHSU, UNI Final Four

#3SHSU @ #2MSU
#5 UNI @ #1 NDSU

Silenoz
November 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hmm, I could swear I posted in here. Guess not.

MSU and NDSU will probably be the top 2 seeds, so they should be the favorites. Thanks to the Southland's wretched recent history, I'll go with Towson, Maine, and Georgia Southern as the next three most likely. I don't trust the Griz enough to win more than 1 road game, so we really would need at least one seed to get upset in front of us (unless we beat MSU)

Walkon79
November 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the props, but have you seen the Cats play this year? 2,000 yards rushing, mostly the power variety. We also have one of the best run defenses in FCS. This is NOT the 2010 Bobcats. Our OL and DL are another year older and about 20 #s bigger than 2010.

Plus, we have one of the best QB's in FCS. First things first on November 19th, but if we win the Brawl, I don't see how the Bobcats WOULDN'T be considered one of the favorites.

Lakes Bison
November 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM
northern iowa

LakesBison
November 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
^^ THATS NOT ME, ITS A IMPOSTER, HOW CAN HE USE MY NAME ^^ I did not say UNI

AshevilleApp2
November 7th, 2011, 01:13 PM

How do we know that you're not the imposter?

boonegoon
November 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Now, that's funny. Finally, a good use of hacking

Lakes Bison
November 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
How do we know that you're not the imposter?

exactly....i would actually like to change my vote. i predict it will be montana st

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2011, 01:23 PM
NDSU looks like a steamroller that nobody can stop IMO, they are my pick.

And my team gets to be the final regular season "pancake"....or spoiler. My money's on "pancake" though.
(and I agree, NDSU is my pick for National Champion)

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Call me a traditionalist, elitist, whatever, but I don't buy the one hit wonder theory with teams. I think teams that are most likely to be successful in the playoffs have to have a history of making the playoffs consistently, particularly in a recent fashion. So I don't think that Towson, Old Dominion, Furman, Sam Houston State, or any of the one-team autobid conference teams will make it to the final 4. I'd bet on Wofford, GSU, NDSU, UNI, Montana State having the most "special" chance. App State, UNH, Maine, and others seem like good teams and may have playoff experience as well, but I don't think they'll win it this year. Could they? certainly, but I'm talking about intangibles here, and I think few teams possess that

eagle07
November 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Call me a traditionalist, elitist, whatever, but I don't buy the one hit wonder theory with teams. I think teams that are most likely to be successful in the playoffs have to have a history of making the playoffs consistently, particularly in a recent fashion. So I don't think that Towson, Old Dominion, Furman, Sam Houston State, or any of the one-team autobid conference teams will make it to the final 4. I'd bet on Wofford, GSU, NDSU, UNI, Montana State having the most "special" chance. App State, UNH, Maine, and others seem like good teams and may have playoff experience as well, but I don't think they'll win it this year. Could they? certainly, but I'm talking about intangibles here, and I think few teams possess that

AGREE, but i bet FURPLE upsets someone

boonegoon
November 7th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Other than Furman's inexplicable loss to Coastal, SOCON's 4 potential playoff teams haven't played anyone of note from another conference. Looking at it positively, the SOCON is ready to show how good they really are. Conversely, the SOCON is actually down and we won't know it until the playoffs. I think the former is more likely but you never know.

eagle07
November 7th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I just hope there is not a socon rematch until at least 3rd rnd

BisonBacker
November 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Damn straight it is. Funny as hell xthumbsupx

Silenoz
November 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I'm seeing double here! Four lakes!

(rep if you can name that quote)

boonegoon
November 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I'm seeing double! Four lakes!

(rep if you can name that quote)

"I'm seeing double, four Krusty's." Simpsons

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2011, 01:52 PM
AGREE, but i bet FURPLE upsets someone

oh yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to the quarterfinals or semifinals. I just don't think they'll win the championship. In the last 6 years, the champion made the playoffs the year before, and I think that's kind of a big deal.

youwouldno
November 7th, 2011, 02:00 PM
The odds are against any individual team. I'd say NDSU is the favorite but that might only translate to a 10-15% chance.

asucrutch23
November 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
oh yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to the quarterfinals or semifinals. I just don't think they'll win the championship. In the last 6 years, the champion made the playoffs the year before, and I think that's kind of a big deal.

App didn't make the playoffs in 2004, so only the last 5 champions made it the previous year, but I agree that having playoff experience on your roster is important.

BisonBacker
November 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM

but wait a minute

isn't this what you said about UNI last year?

how did that turn out?

Holy crap you need to let last year go. If your team is that good they will prove it in the playoffs. Until then give it a rest this is 2011!

boonegoon
November 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Why did you include me in that ?

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM
If Furman gets into the playoffs in the first year of a new coaching staff, I think it would be a monumental achievement. If they win a game, mores the better.

LakesBison
November 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Lehigh is my 2nd favorite team since they beat UNI last year. hahahaha.

Go Apps
November 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Legit Shot

- GSU , NDSU, Towson, N Hampshire, Maine, ODU, Lehigh, N. Iowa, Sam Houston, Wofford, ASU, Montana, Montana State
I think one of the above wins the title - you got a 1 in 13 Chance

Top choices GSU - NDSU - Montana State - N. Iowa
Second choices Maine, ODU, Montana, Wofford
Next wave ASU - Towson, Sam Houston

Not this year - Furman, Albany, Norfolk State, Ill State, Liberty, EKU, C. Ark, (these are my picks to get in)

LakesBison
November 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
The Fan? so NDSU was like #16 last year and beat 2 teams in playoffs and beat EWU except for BILL FETTE... and this year we have a better team overall, better QB play and better Defense and ranked #1 and we will go one and done?

cmonnn buddy.

BisonBacker
November 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Wasn't intentional Boonegoon.

BisonBacker
November 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM
BisonBacker, so let me see if I can understand this

youngterrier in the post below talks about how relevant the last 20 years are to the upcoming playoffs

and yet you attack me for mentioning the results of one game last year that destroyed his theories?

is this what you are doing?

why no comments against the guy that considers that last 20 years more relevant than what has happened THIS YEAR, which is what you are crying about?

Because in every thread on this board you are foaming at the mouth and throw out last year as a rebuttal. I'm just saying if your team is as good as you seem to think they will have their chance to prove it in the playoffs. But everytime someone questions your SOS or anything else about your team you go into but but but last year we blah blah blah. Like I said this is 2011 join the now. Hell the coaches on the teams only give the players 24 hours to enjoy a victory. The least you could do is keep it to the current year and not go bat**** crazy on anyone who questions or replies to your posting.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM
but wait a minute

isn't this what you said about UNI last year?

how did that turn out?

I didn't say anything about UNI last year. try again

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM
BisonBacker, so let me see if I can understand this

youngterrier in the post below talks about how relevant the last 20 years are to the upcoming playoffs

and yet you attack me for mentioning the results of one game last year that destroyed his theories?

why no comments against the guy that considers that last 20 years more relevant than what has happened THIS YEAR, which is what you are crying about?

again, you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't mention anything about the last 20 years. If I did, I would say that Furman has recent experience in the playoffs. I'm talking about recent experience, something about 1/2 of the field have that, the others don't. And of that 1/2, I'd say 1/2 of that field have the talent to win the NC or go on a serious run

GSUEagles#1
November 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
If Furman gets into the playoffs in the first year of a new coaching staff, I think it would be a monumental achievement. If they win a game, mores the better.

The same at GSU last year! It is a monumental Achievement.... Even more that we had a changed offense and new QB...

boonegoon
November 7th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Wasn't intentional Boonegoon.

Cool.

By the way, do NDSU fans get worked up when someone calls you guys buffalo?
(Random, bottle of wine monday question.)

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Cool.

By the way, do NDSU fans get worked up when someone calls you guys buffalo?
(Random, bottle of wine monday question.)
No, but we do get mad when people continually call us the Bye-sun instead of the Bizon.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Again, BisonBacker, so let me see if I can understand this

you're putting words in my mouth for the third time. UNI was 7-4 last year with a first round game. I didn't say anything about them last year, and they don't meet my "criteria" that I set forth. I didn't say anything about the last 20 years You're not rebutting anyone. You're spewing your filth as usual, and I have full faith that I have awakened the wrath of the troll once again with this post, but I've had a boring week already and I have nothing better to do right now

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM
oops, sorry youngterrier, so tell us

when you stated a "history of making the playoffs", about how many years back did you mean?

1 year?
3 years?
5 years?
10 years?
20 years?

Originally Posted by youngterrier

playoff experience in general. no longer than 2 years prior. the ability to make runs when making the playoffs. Not one-hit-and-quit playoff appearances. And no, a 7-4 team does not meet my criteria of "national title worthy" so stop mentioning UNI last year

MTfan4life
November 7th, 2011, 08:38 PM
You're dancing with the devil here and he remembers things you said like a lady friend hanging on to a word or phrase you said 9 months ago and putting all importance on what you had said regardless of the context. Tread lightly youngterrier.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM
You're dancing with the devil here and he remembers things you said like a lady friend hanging on to a word or phrase you said 9 months ago and putting all importance on what you had said regardless of the context. Tread lightly youngterrier.

And that's the funny thing. I didn't say much during last year's playoffs. He's full of it.

MTfan4life
November 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM
He clearly stated, "particularly in a recent fashion."

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I see, so making the playoffs for the last 2 years implies that you have consistently made the playoffs in the past, as you have specifically stated here.

Ok, thanks for clarifying it...makes a lot of sense eh?:

Originally Posted by youngterrier

He clearly stated, "particularly in a recent fashion."

What this guy said....

MSUBobcat
November 8th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I'm not going to get into this Bill Clinton-What The Definition Of Is Is-esque argument about recent playoff appearances. My favorite to win the NC has to be NDSU. They came close last year losing by 7 in OT on the road to the eventual 2010 NC and continued that by running through their schedule undefeated. I'd like to say it was the Bobcats, but if I had to put any significant money on it now, that's my pick for now.

Spiderbone
November 8th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I do not believe the North Dakota State Bison will win the National Championship. I am not entirely convinced that the Missouri Valley Football Conference is as good as some think, and I believe NDSU will lose if they come across a team from the Southern Conference or the Colonial Athletic Association.

If I were to choose, I think Montana State, Montana, or Maine will the National Championship. However, my sleeper team would be Old Dominion if they get a favorable path in the playoffs. As I am from the area, I've witnessed what they can do and the spread offense they utilize is terrifyingly efficient. Their defense is suspect though.

I second that, nobody thought they would be 8-2 at this point in the season as they were picked LAST in the CAA. I think they will roll to the NC with one more game left at W&M and then a BYE week before the playoffs. Expect them to be well rested and ready to go.

boonegoon
November 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM
"I'm seeing double, four Krusty's." Simpsons

Am I right?

Bearkat-Backer
November 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have started to notice that when TheFan starts posting on a thread it quickly gets off topic and turns into an argument.xtwocentsx

344Johnson
November 8th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the props, but have you seen the Cats play this year? 2,000 yards rushing, mostly the power variety. We also have one of the best run defenses in FCS. This is NOT the 2010 Bobcats. Our OL and DL are another year older and about 20 #s bigger than 2010.

Plus, we have one of the best QB's in FCS. First things first on November 19th, but if we win the Brawl, I don't see how the Bobcats WOULDN'T be considered one of the favorites.

Haven't seen the Cats this year. If they have indeed gotten bigger, then that should bode well for them in the playoffs one would think. You mentioned that they have rushed for a lot more yards and using more power-rushing, my question is, say Montana State runs into NDSU(not likely), UNI(more likely), or Illinois St., will they be able to run the ball? Has Montana State played a team that is a true smashmouth team this year to kinda test it out? Is Montana one of those types of teams? I guess you'll know more on Saturday!

Best of luck to Montana State this weekend.

Silenoz
November 8th, 2011, 01:05 PM
No, we aren't

Silenoz
November 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Am I right?

Yeah, thought I repped you, I'll do it again to be sure

Catbooster
November 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have started to notice that when TheFan starts posting on a thread it quickly gets off topic and turns into an argument.xtwocentsx

As I caught up on this thread, I was thinking that he's always good for an extra couple pages (usually irrelevant arguing) to a thread.

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Haven't seen the Cats this year. If they have indeed gotten bigger, then that should bode well for them in the playoffs one would think. You mentioned that they have rushed for a lot more yards and using more power-rushing, my question is, say Montana State runs into NDSU(not likely), UNI(more likely), or Illinois St., will they be able to run the ball? Has Montana State played a team that is a true smashmouth team this year to kinda test it out? Is Montana one of those types of teams? I guess you'll know more on Saturday!

Since Montana went to the Spread, Weber is supposed to be our smashmouth team in the Sky.

CorrosionDoc
November 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM

I guarantee that Montana State will NOT lose this weekend... ;)

344Johnson
November 8th, 2011, 04:26 PM

Better knock on wood quick!! I hope your house is below the timberline...

Since Montana went to the Spread, Weber is supposed to be our smashmouth team in the Sky.

Thanks Seattle, I honestly don't know a ton about Big Sky football other than the two teams NDSU played last year. Have fun toying around with UND for the next 5-10 years. Stop the run and they can't move the ball.

Ginsbach
November 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM

That Bye sure is a tough opponent. I was afraid Idaho State was going to lose to them last weekend, but they managed to get by.

BisonBacker
November 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Some pretty confident posting there. What I've found is that when it comes to certain teams you could just as well throw records out the window because as the site suggests On Any Given Saturday xcoffeex

Oh and of course my favorite to win the NC is none other than NDSU...Surprise!!!!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM
going back to the topic of this thread:

Who is your favorite to win the National Championship?

my guess is that it would by the #1 ranked NDSU team...

.....and you're not picking the "all-world" Lehigh team lead by the second coming of Aaron Rogers????......."Oh my land of Goshen"

SideLine Shooter
November 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Liberty Flamers

Tod
November 8th, 2011, 08:41 PM
.....and you're not picking the "all-world" Lehigh team lead by the second coming of Aaron Rogers????......."Oh my land of Goshen"

Geez, he picks your team and you attack him? Classy.

CrazyCat
November 8th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Looks like Corrosion got 2 people to bite on the old bye week guarantee.

SonuvaHenx2
November 8th, 2011, 09:03 PM
If Montana State holds off the Griz, they'll be my pick to win it all...
Otherwise, I can't see how anyone can bet against NDSU.

Unbison
November 8th, 2011, 09:20 PM
NDSU to win it all!
Lehigh? Really? East coast pompass I c

LakesBison
November 8th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the board. but watch out unbison , he's the got a "crest"

Unbison
November 8th, 2011, 10:13 PM
O I was gonna brush my teeth I could use some of that

Blue Eagle
November 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM
The winner of the Ga. Southern/Wofford game. The SoCon has at least 6 very competitive teams. The team that wins the SoCon should get a very high seed - #2 in my opinion - and be well tested for a playoff run.

GO EAGLES
"JUST ONE MORE TIME"
Ga. Southern's Playoff Record - 41 & 11

344Johnson
November 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
The winner of the Ga. Southern/Wofford game. The SoCon has at least 6 very competitive teams. The team that wins the SoCon should get a very high seed - #2 in my opinion - and be well tested for a playoff run.

Without Montana St. or the boys down in Texas losing....it would be very difficult for a SoCon team to get that #2 seed.

Blue Eagle
November 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Without Montana St. or the boys down in Texas losing....it would be very difficult for a SoCon team to get that #2 seed.

WHY?

Tod
November 8th, 2011, 10:49 PM
WHY?

Because.

SonuvaHenx2
November 8th, 2011, 10:51 PM
WHY?

Because 1 (FBS) loss MT St and/or 0 loss SHSU > 1 or 2 (FCS) loss SoCon Champ.

Blue Eagle
November 8th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I don't know how competitive the Big Sky and Southland conferences have been. But the Southland seems to have only 1 outstanding team and the Big Sky seems to have only 2 outstanding teams.

I do know the SoCon has 7 very competitive teams with 3 in the top 10 and 4 in the top 25. That is why I think the SoCon should get the #2 seed. JUST MY OPINION!

alvinkayak6
November 9th, 2011, 01:34 AM
The SOCON has great depth, but NDSU keeps winning and beat an under-rated Minnesota squad. The gophers have now beaten Iowa and come a touchdown off Michigan State. UNI also was competitive against Iowa State. I would pick NDSU and then either Wofford or Furman as the next best bets.

MTfan4life
November 9th, 2011, 02:07 AM
The potential playoff field is pretty balanced this year, with 12 maybe 13 teams that I could see making a strong run. I don't know if I could see all 12/13 winning the NC, but you never know with the matchups.

asknoquarter21
November 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I started looking at the matchups a little bit because I think it greatly affects who has a chance at a Championship.

we know 18 teams that will probably be in the playoffs 2 spots look like they are still open.

We are going to see our 10 auto bids plus 8 teams that look like locks at this point unless they just blow it.
In no order

Maine
Towson
UNH
ODU
GSU
ASU
Furman
Wofford
NDSU
UNI
Montana
Montana St
Sam Houston St
NEC Champ
OVC Champ
Big South Champ
PL Champ
MEAC Champ

Of those I expect the remaining five auto bid teams to play in the first round except Lehigh. I think as it stands now Furman and ODU will probably be playing in those games along with the other 2 at large bids we don't "know" yet. After you take out the seeded teams, NDSU, Montana St, Sam Houston St, Socon Champ, CAA champ/UNI, I think we are looking at a very solid remaining group of teams.

Assuming UNI did end up getting the #5 seed we could see UNI, ASU, GSU, Montana all hosting games in this round as the non-play in second round matchups. Of course, that would mean every CAA team would be on the road in the second round and I don't know the likely hood of that scenario either. Especially considering Lehigh or a CAA team would be going to Montana. I think it is becoming increasingly more likely that the seeded teams will be making it to the quarterfinals at least.

DJKyR0
November 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I started looking at the matchups a little bit because I think it greatly affects who has a chance at a Championship.

we know 18 teams that will probably be in the playoffs 2 spots look like they are still open.

We are going to see our 10 auto bids plus 8 teams that look like locks at this point unless they just blow it.
In no order

Maine
Towson
UNH
ODU
GSU
ASU
Furman
Wofford
NDSU
UNI
Montana
Montana St
Sam Houston St
NEC Champ
OVC Champ
Big South Champ
PL Champ
MEAC Champ

Of those I expect the remaining five auto bid teams to play in the first round except Lehigh. I think as it stands now Furman and ODU will probably be playing in those games along with the other 2 at large bids we don't "know" yet. After you take out the seeded teams, NDSU, Montana St, Sam Houston St, Socon Champ, CAA champ/UNI, I think we are looking at a very solid remaining group of teams.

Assuming UNI did end up getting the #5 seed we could see UNI, ASU, GSU, Montana all hosting games in this round as the non-play in second round matchups. Of course, that would mean every CAA team would be on the road in the second round and I don't know the likely hood of that scenario either. Especially considering Lehigh or a CAA team would be going to Montana. I think it is becoming increasingly more likely that the seeded teams will be making it to the quarterfinals at least.

I'd strongly consider putting in Illinois State for one of those remaining two spots. Definitely in if they can beat UNI at home in two weeks.

asknoquarter21
November 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'd strongly consider putting in Illinois State for one of those remaining two spots. Definitely in if they can beat UNI at home in two weeks.

Right now it looks like UCA and Illinois St.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Geez, he picks your team and you attack him? Classy.

What he has said in other threads about NDSU is why I said this..... not going to go into it....

Reign of Terrier
November 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM

GO EAGLES
"JUST ONE MORE TIME"
Ga. Southern's Playoff Record - 41 & 11

I could see a Socon team *potentially,* *possibly* jumping Sam Houston State at 9-2, whether it's Wofford or GSU, but I also *highly* doubt it. If GSU wins Saturday I think they'll lock up the 3rd seed, but Wofford will probably get the 4th or 5th if they win unless they absolutely dominate the next 2 weeks.

Reign of Terrier
November 9th, 2011, 04:12 PM

I think UCA is definitely in at 8-3 with 2 FBS losses (one in overtime), they win this week and they are a leadpipe lock

Squealofthepig
November 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I could see a Socon team *potentially,* *possibly* jumping Sam Houston State at 9-2, whether it's Wofford or GSU, but I also *highly* doubt it. If GSU wins Saturday I think they'll lock up the 3rd seed, but Wofford will probably get the 4th or 5th if they win unless they absolutely dominate the next 2 weeks.

That was how I think it'll play out, and why I may be the only one with Wofford as the 3 seed above SHSU (based on SoS). This would mean the Terriers would enter the playoffs having beaten two other playoff teams, with their lone FCS loss at also playoff-bound Furman. This along with just an eight point loss at Clemson is an incredible resume.

b_f_c_99
November 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I'd say NDSU looks really strong, only problem there is they play what I would call Montana "Bobby Ball". Which is dandy for winning lots of games against teams that you can physically overpower. But in the playoffs with lots of teams doing the same thing you usually run into somebody that is just more physical, or hyped up, or worse yet can actually throw the ball and catch it and you get dumped. Just ask Bobby. Whatever you do don't take a team from the Big Sky, they suck and never win..........................

BTW NDSU I watched your game against Southern Illinois, you got physically stomped and were really really lucky to win that game, Bobby had a few of those as well But not in the playoffs, there you do that and you lose!

DJKyR0
November 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM

http://i.imgur.com/IgIMC.gif

Squealofthepig
November 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IgIMC.gif

So... you're saying someone is about to be raped?

DJKyR0
November 9th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I'd say NDSU looks really strong, only problem there is they play what I would call Montana "Bobby Ball". Which is dandy for winning lots of games against teams that you can physically overpower. But in the playoffs with lots of teams doing the same thing you usually run into somebody that is just more physical, or hyped up, or worse yet can actually throw the ball and catch it and you get dumped. Just ask Bobby. Whatever you do don't take a team from the Big Sky, they suck and never win..........................

BTW NDSU I watched your game against Southern Illinois, you got physically stomped and were really really lucky to win that game, Bobby had a few of those as well But not in the playoffs, there you do that and you lose!

I don't know what was "lucky" about our win over SIU - our offense took awhile to catch a spark and our defense bailed them out in the meantime. Business as usual from last season.

Regarding the physicality, I'm hard-pressed to think that we're going to find tremendously more physical play outside of the MVFC. Sure, we might find more-talented or stylistically-better offensive or defensive lines, but we've faced and defeated several teams that rank in the top echelon production-wise - holding Southern Illinois to a then-season-low in offensive output and basically neutralizing two of the best defensive linemen in the country in Ben Boothby and Ben Obaseki. We'll be fine in that department and have stopped passing teams.

DJKyR0
November 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM
So... you're saying someone is about to be raped?

It was supposed to convey my enthusiasm to getting Illinois State right as a "pencil them in."

But yes, the playoff bracket will get raped. Metaphorically. By me...filling it out....or something.

b_f_c_99
November 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I don't know what was "lucky" about our win over SIU - our offense took awhile to catch a spark and our defense bailed them out in the meantime. Business as usual from last season.

Regarding the physicality, I'm hard-pressed to think that we're going to find tremendously more physical play outside of the MVFC. Sure, we might find more-talented or stylistically-better offensive or defensive lines, but we've faced and defeated several teams that rank in the top echelon production-wise - holding Southern Illinois to a then-season-low in offensive output and basically neutralizing two of the best defensive linemen in the country in Ben Boothby and Ben Obaseki. We'll be fine in that department and have stopped passing teams.

Ok, if a 9-3 win is catching an offensive spark I'd agree. You may want to take a look at the box score and watch a replay. NDSU got kicked around. Don't get me wrong I think NDSU looks very good, just don't be shocked if they have a week where some other team is just a little more physical, or has a wrinkle that just messes up the power ball plan. Thats when you find out how good the coaches are. Sadly Bobby Balls answer was "just be tougher than them".

DJKyR0
November 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Ok, if a 9-3 win is catching an offensive spark I'd agree. You may want to take a look at the box score and watch a replay. NDSU got kicked around. Don't get me wrong I think NDSU looks very good, just don't be shocked if they have a week where some other team is just a little more physical, or has a wrinkle that just messes up the power ball plan. Thats when you find out how good the coaches are. Sadly Bobby Balls answer was "just be tougher than them".

I had assumed adding "took awhile" to the phrase "to catch a spark offensively" to mean that it happened late in the game, i.e. in the fourth quarter where the vast majority of our offensive production and converted third downs came from. I can assure you I watched the game and was in a crowd of very irritable Bison fans that were frustrated that our offense didn't produce for three quarters.

To prove I have looked at the box score with some thoroughness, I present the NDSU drive chart.

http://i.imgur.com/Mdp1k.jpg

Notice how we don't get a drive longer than 7 yards until late in the third quarter, and another in the fourth, both which lead to point. If you took my statement to mean that our offense was moving the ball at will all day and just gave it up on fourth so SIU thought they'd have a chance, then that's either on me for not being clear or on you for not reading. Was it painful to watch and did it make me want to gouge my eyes with the nearest steak fork? Sure, but was it luck that took us there? I don't think it was.

The power ball plan has gotten toyed with all season. We couldn't run the ball for jack against Illinois State, yet our passing game was able to win the day. We had 124 yards on the ground that game, 60 vs. Southern Illinois, 149 against SDSU, and had our real "breakout" performance running game for 160 yards against ISU. It's not as if we're Georgia Southern running the ball for 400 yards a game and need to worry about the run not clicking - we've won games despite our traditionally-strong running game getting stuffed. To me that means something more than just "luck" is why we're winning football games.

I agree with the heart of your argument that we played poorly versus Southern Illinois, and you won't find a Bison fan that disagrees with that - but to say that it was simply luck that won that game is a disservice to our undefeated record. The common denominator is that this football team knows how to win and caught a spark of that late in the game to ice it with a cold-blooded touchdown. It's a pretty fine point I'm arguing, but it's one that I think is pretty important to how folks perceive this team.

LakesBison
November 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
A Win is a Win. Defense wins, thats why NDSU will win the title.

GaSouthern
November 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM

That makes me think GSU will have a shot then

darell1976
November 10th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I am going with UNI or App St. A lot tougher schedule than NDSU so I think they have a better chance at winning it all.

Dgreenwell3
November 10th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Ah. Hence why the best defensive team in the NFL hasnt won the title in the past TEN years. Offense and defense has to be effective don't give me some sort of sports cliches about how defense wins championship be smart, it takes both. I will still take ndsu.

344Johnson
November 10th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I am going with UNI or App St. A lot tougher schedule than NDSU so I think they have a better chance at winning it all.

UNI and NDSU have essentially the same schedule? A few different OOC games but those games are not the bread and butter having a better schedule. They already played...in the dome...and if UNI and NDSU play again...it will more than likely be in the FargoDome. NDSU may finally have a team that is truly better than UNI.

App State wouldn't be my SoCon pick. I'd go with Wofford or Georgia Southern, don't know why, just would. And if NDSU wins out...these guys will be more than welcome to come up to North Dakota for a meeting in the dome. Not saying NDSU would win, but it would be a tough atmosphere to beat NDSU in. I'm not sure this is quite the same quality App State we saw in the mid-late 90's with Armanti Edwards, but I'm sure the App State posters on here would be more than happy to tell us if they are as good, not as good, or about as good as those teams.

Not intending to bash you either darrell, your a solid poster on here, but why in your sig line does it claim 7 D1 titles? Football forum bro.

darell1976
November 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM
UNI and NDSU have essentially the same schedule? A few different OOC games but those games are not the bread and butter having a better schedule. They already played...in the dome...and if UNI and NDSU play again...it will more than likely be in the FargoDome. NDSU may finally have a team that is truly better than UNI.

App State wouldn't be my SoCon pick. I'd go with Wofford or Georgia Southern, don't know why, just would. And if NDSU wins out...these guys will be more than welcome to come up to North Dakota for a meeting in the dome. Not saying NDSU would win, but it would be a tough atmosphere to beat NDSU in. I'm not sure this is quite the same quality App State we saw in the mid-late 90's with Armanti Edwards, but I'm sure the App State posters on here would be more than happy to tell us if they are as good, not as good, or about as good as those teams.

Not intending to bash you either darrell, your a solid poster on here, but why in your sig line does it claim 7 D1 titles? Football forum bro.

Massey has SOS of games played for UNI (4) and APP St (7) higher than NDSU (11)...of course that could all change as teams get knocked out of the playoffs or an injury popped up. NDSU has a great defense no question, but they need to score points on offense... as for my sig, it has a other sports thead (some hate to admit it but there are hockey fans on this board, shhhh don't tell Lakes).

b_f_c_99
November 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I'm going with NDSU, their fans here have it all figured out, then again they sound alot like the Delaware guys last year, they had it all figured out to.

Block-A
November 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure this is quite the same quality App State we saw in the mid-late 90's with Armanti Edwards, but...

Correct, not as good now as with Edwards. Just off by a decade or so.

I don't think this team is as good as any of the three championship teams.

344Johnson
November 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Massey has SOS of games played for UNI (4) and APP St (7) higher than NDSU (11)...of course that could all change as teams get knocked out of the playoffs or an injury popped up. NDSU has a great defense no question, but they need to score points on offense... as for my sig, it has a other sports thead (some hate to admit it but there are hockey fans on this board, shhhh don't tell Lakes).

So even if NDSU beat UNI, and looked like a better team, both fan-bases have admitted it, you'd take UNI in a rematch?

I dont know, to me that sounds like saying Notre Dame has played a tougher schedule than USC, they lost to USC, so Notre Dame should be favored in the playoffs. Maybe a bad analogy. Who knows. Just trying to figure out what you mean bro.

344Johnson
November 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Correct, not as good now as with Edwards. Just off by a decade or so.

I don't think this team is as good as any of the three championship teams.

Damn 0 and 9 are right next to each other haha. You can feel free to keep on the black-n-yellow colored glasses, but do you think this team has what it takes to make a run to Frisco?

F350KINGRANCH
November 10th, 2011, 05:45 PM
sooooo with 7 d1 championships in youre sig for hockey that means georgetown fans should put all of their national championships in basketball in their sig line as well or how about princeton with their lacrosse championships on their sig when primarily posting in a chat site called any given saturday? kind of misleading wouldnt you say? if you are going to put it in youre sig why wouldnt you say 7d1 hockey championships?

asumike83
November 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Damn 0 and 9 are right next to each other haha. You can feel free to keep on the black-n-yellow colored glasses, but do you think this team has what it takes to make a run to Frisco?

Sadly... no. We can match up with any FCS team in the country from an athletic standpoint and are superior to most in that regard. However, ASU is still young in key areas and our offense is very inconsistent.

It is absolutely possible for ASU to make a run at Frisco if it all comes together at the right time but I would say it is pretty unlikely.

F350KINGRANCH
November 10th, 2011, 05:50 PM
question for everyone? why does a tougher schedule mean you are favored? i would think a team like montana state would be in better shape for playoffs with their schedule, less grinding during the regular sseason means less injuries and fatigued. do not get me wrong i think msu is a great team so not trying to single you guys out.

ODUsmitty
November 10th, 2011, 06:36 PM
From who I have seen, the best, thus far, is Towson. Something magical about the ride they have been on this year. Down 11 at our place with 5 minutes to go. Converts 3 4th downs and scores, recovers onsides kick, and then converts a 4th and 29 for the win.

WOuld love to get them again in the playoffs, but thata team has the running game and coaching to take them far.

CorrosionDoc
November 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I think MSU will be just as fatigued as anyone, regardless of the level of competition. I mean, it's not like they are playing against the local high school JV and just blowing their competition away! They've struggled against some games that should have been easy (on paper) and haven't been able to rest their starters much (well, they did get to rest Cody Kirk after he had 4 TDs a couple games ago against Idaho State). Plus, injuries happen even when playing lesser opponents. Last year MSU was rested and then got mowed down by NDSU. Whether it's because they weren't "battle-tested" or that they didn't anticipate how good their eastern neighbors had become, that's up for debate.

Block-A
November 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Sadly... no. We can match up with any FCS team in the country from an athletic standpoint and are superior to most in that regard. However, ASU is still young in key areas and our offense is very inconsistent.

It is absolutely possible for ASU to make a run at Frisco if it all comes together at the right time but I would say it is pretty unlikely.

I agree completely, for the reasons stated- possible, but not likely. I'd say we have to get more than our fair share of breaks and/or a few guys to play out of this world through the playoffs to do it.

SeattleGriz
November 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM
question for everyone? why does a tougher schedule mean you are favored? i would think a team like montana state would be in better shape for playoffs with their schedule, less grinding during the regular sseason means less injuries and fatigued. do not get me wrong i think msu is a great team so not trying to single you guys out.

My two cents would be that a team that faces a tougher schedule has seen more ways in which either their offense or defense was countered and should be able to make adjustments on the fly faster than a team that is seeing a particular strategy for the first time. To add to that, lets say a weaker team uses strategy A but doesn't have the skilled players to pull it off. If you meet a team that does have the players to pull of strategy A, what do you do? You end up wasting precious time trying to compensate.

Perfect example was when SIU played in Missoula in 2006. Arkee Whitlock was supposed to be the man from the power running conference. SIU got destroyed 20-3 and the game wasn't even that close. I would assume Montana just had better players that were able to play their game. SIU was totally confused and outmanned that day.

Squealofthepig
November 10th, 2011, 10:48 PM
To build on SeattleGriz's statement, I can think of a few years a decade and a half ago where a stronger Big Sky conference, and tougher schedule, would have been a boon to the Griz, even if it meant another loss or two (1996 stands out). Playing good teams helps to expose your weaknesses, and it's better to understand your weaknesses and find ways to correct them during the season than finding out in the playoffs that teams can, say, run a simple screen on you all day long - or confuse and rattle you just by showing you different defensive spreads.

CopperCat
November 10th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I think MSU will be just as fatigued as anyone, regardless of the level of competition. I mean, it's not like they are playing against the local high school JV and just blowing their competition away! They've struggled against some games that should have been easy (on paper) and haven't been able to rest their starters much (well, they did get to rest Cody Kirk after he had 4 TDs a couple games ago against Idaho State). Plus, injuries happen even when playing lesser opponents. Last year MSU was rested and then got mowed down by NDSU. Whether it's because they weren't "battle-tested" or that they didn't anticipate how good their eastern neighbors had become, that's up for debate.

I don't think I would be too far off in saying that most people on this board wouldn't know that the MSU of this year vs. last year are completely different. That's not to say that MSU doesn't have its issues (i.e. stupid turnovers early in the game) but I think that if MSU and NDSU met again the outcome would be different. One game doesn't determine a team's future, contrary to what some NDSU fans around here think.

Hammerhead
November 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM
The NDSU team of this year also has much more game experience. NDSU has 15 returning starters (not counting the kicker and punter) and 41 returning lettermen compared to 6 starters and 19 lettermen for MSU.

I don't think I would be too far off in saying that most people on this board wouldn't know that the MSU of this year vs. last year are completely different. ...

CopperCat
November 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM
The NDSU team of this year also has much more game experience. NDSU has 15 returning starters (not counting the kicker and punter) and 41 returning lettermen compared to 6 starters and 19 lettermen for MSU.

Good for you NDSU. You're still missing the point though.

CrazyCat
November 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM

I don't know where you got that but there are 13 ret. starters(not counting K & P) and 39 ret. lettermen. Like FTG said it doesn't matter because this team is different both offensively and defensively than last year.

Ronbo
November 11th, 2011, 04:47 PM
If the Bobcats can beat the Griz handily I believe they might go all the way.

SeattleGriz
November 11th, 2011, 07:04 PM
If the Bobcats can beat the Griz handily I believe they might go all the way.

Agreed, but it ain't gonna happen. Griz win in Bozo and claim a seed. Who else would be on a 7 game win streak other than Illinois State?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 11th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I don't know where you got that but there are 13 ret. starters(not counting K & P) and 39 ret. lettermen. Like FTG said it doesn't matter because this team is different both offensively and defensively than last year.

After the Bison beat the Cats last year, your coach said the lines on both sides of the ball need to get bigger and stronger. Did this happen? Have both lines improved since last year?

Catbooster
November 13th, 2011, 04:58 AM
After the Bison beat the Cats last year, your coach said the lines on both sides of the ball need to get bigger and stronger. Did this happen? Have both lines improved since last year?

Yes

gasoutherneagle
November 13th, 2011, 06:51 AM
xtwocentsx As of this week's win against Wofford, I'm ALL-IN on Georgia Southern winning it all!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 13th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Still the same for me:

SHSU
Georgia Southern
NDSU
UNI
Montana schools

heath
November 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Georgia Southern if they get through next week injury free looks strong and those Towson Tigers are making some noise, but still will pick a team further west just not sure-UNI or NDSU

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Until Montana State loses they are my pick.

Bearkat-Backer
November 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Agreed, but it ain't gonna happen. Griz win in Bozo and claim a seed. Who else would be on a 7 game win streak other than Illinois State?

Central Arkansas is on a 7 game win streak.

LakesBison
November 18th, 2011, 01:56 AM
NDSU case closed, end thread.

SF State Gaters
November 18th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Still Montana State for I as well...

LakesBison
January 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
My call of NDSU from 1 year ago stands!!!

And 11-18-2011 NDSU case closed, end thread.

Sambow
January 2nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
My call of NDSU from 1 year ago stands!!!

And 11-18-2011 NDSU case closed, end thread.

Can Sam still play the game just in case?

Twentysix
January 2nd, 2012, 10:22 PM

Can Sam still play the game just in case?

No

Sambow
January 2nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
No

xeekx

sgt smash
January 2nd, 2012, 11:09 PM
No

Those People who xcoach F'ed in the A are gonna be pissed they paid 400 a ticket for a game that isn't gonna be played.

Sambow
January 2nd, 2012, 11:12 PM
Those People who xcoach F'ed in the A are gonna be pissed they paid 400 a ticket for a game that isn't gonna be played.

Well i'm mad that we won't get a game and I only payed $44.55 for my ticket. xthumbsupx

TheRevSFA
January 3rd, 2012, 06:55 AM
Sam Houston.

Still holding on to this prediction