PDA

View Full Version : Santos, Ball in Midseason Form for UNH

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2006, 07:46 AM
The Santos-Ball duo is back and they just completed the Blue-White game yesterday showing off pretty much the same stuff we've all been accustomed to seeing from UNH.

Santos was incredible throwing 20 of his 22 passes for completions for 385 yards and four touchdowns.

Santos, Ball in midseason form for UNH

By ALLEN LESSELS
Union Leader Sports

DURHAM – It appears Ricky Santos need not worry about his job as the starting quarterback for the University of New Hampshire football team at the moment at least.

Santos opened yesterday's Blue-White game that wraps up UNH's spring session with a completion to wide receiver David Ball and ended his day when Husain Karim picked off one of his passes.

In between, Santos, as usual, played like one of the best — if not the best — I-AA quarterbacks in the country.

Santos has led UNH into the I-AA playoffs each of the last two seasons and yesterday he completed 20 of 22 passes — including 17 straight before the interception — for 385 yards and four touchdowns.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Santos%2C+Ball+in+midseason+ form+for+UNH&articleId=5999deb1-04a0-4ef2-8d49-17310a2dd8cf

Ronbo
May 7th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Wow, nice day. Does UNH have a weak pass defense? No smack, just wondering as these kind of numbers would thrill most OC's in the A10.:smiley_wi

mainejeff
May 7th, 2006, 09:21 AM
The Santos-Ball duo is back and they just completed the Blue-White game yesterday showing off pretty much the same stuff we've all been accustomed to seeing from UNH.

Santos was incredible throwing 20 of his 22 passes for completions for 385 yards and four touchdowns.

Santos, Ball in midseason form for UNH

By ALLEN LESSELS
Union Leader Sports

DURHAM – It appears Ricky Santos need not worry about his job as the starting quarterback for the University of New Hampshire football team at the moment at least.

Santos opened yesterday's Blue-White game that wraps up UNH's spring session with a completion to wide receiver David Ball and ended his day when Husain Karim picked off one of his passes.

In between, Santos, as usual, played like one of the best — if not the best — I-AA quarterbacks in the country.

Santos has led UNH into the I-AA playoffs each of the last two seasons and yesterday he completed 20 of 22 passes — including 17 straight before the interception — for 385 yards and four touchdowns.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Santos%2C+Ball+in+midseason+ form+for+UNH&articleId=5999deb1-04a0-4ef2-8d49-17310a2dd8cf

Those are great offensive numbers, but the UNH D is not exactly a powerhouse.

Reed Rothchild
May 7th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Wow, nice day. Does UNH have a weak pass defense?

Ask Eric Sanders and company...:hurray:

May 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Those are great offensive numbers, but the UNH D is not exactly a powerhouse.:confused: Then every defense in the A-10 must not be a "powerhouse" either because in 2005 Santos lead the A-10 in Passing Avg/Game, Total Offense, Pass Efficiency. UNH averaged 41.7 points per game and Santos averaged 330.9 total offense and 3 passing TDS per game (usually not playing the fourth quarter).

So yeah it was a slightly above average day for Santos, slightly.

mainejeff
May 7th, 2006, 09:47 AM
:confused: Then every defense in the A-10 must not be a "powerhouse" either because in 2005 Santos lead the A-10 in Passing Avg/Game, Total Offense, Pass Efficiency. UNH averaged 41.7 points per game and Santos averaged 330.9 total offense and 3 passing TDS per game.

ralph.......Santos and Ball went up against their OWN DEFENSE. How much are these guys trying to lay them out???:rolleyes:

2005 A-10 Pass Defense stats:

1. UMass 145.1 Yds/G
2. Maine 180.5
3. James Madison 181.0
4. Villanova 191.4
5. Towson 195.5
6. Hofstra 200.5
7. Northeastern 211.7
8. Richmond 219.2
9. William & Mary 223.8
10. Rhode Island 231.6
11. UNH 244.5
12. Delaware 244.9

May 7th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Wow, nice day. Does UNH have a weak pass defense? No smack, just wondering as these kind of numbers would thrill most OC's in the A10.As MaineJeff pointed out they were virtually last in the A-10 for pass defense but that was a pretty normal day for Santos regardless of the opponent. UNH also faced a lot of passing as teams tried to keep up with them (they had 8 blowouts). That was also a reason the D was so high in getting turnovers.

mainejeff
May 7th, 2006, 10:26 AM
As MaineJeff pointed out they were virtually last in the A-10 for pass defense but that was a pretty normal day for Santos regardless of the opponent. UNH also faced a lot of passing as teams tried to keep up with them (they had 8 blowouts). That was also a reason the D was so high in getting turnovers.

I agree that they definitely faced more passing situations than most A-10 teams as their opponents had to play catch-up.

I guess that I just take Spring Game stats with a grain of salt. The only thing that these games really tell you is......who has left the team, who is out of shape, and who the likely starters will be.

UNH 40
May 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Ask Eric Sanders and company...:hurray:
Erik Sanders and company were good but not great against UNH remember that UNH had double the amount of Yds that UNI had. Just thought I would point that out.

UNH 40
May 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I was at the game on Saturday, and it was truely amazing watching these two guys perform. Santos through a couple of passes to ball with people all over him and Ball just out jumped them and came down with the ball. It should also be known that it was first team Offense against second team Defense for the first half of the scrimmage. UNH should have a good pass defense this season with Corey Graham, Jeff Pammer, and John Clement. The guy to watch is freshman RB Chad Kackert, he has a second gear and a burst that is amazing he had 9 carries for 91yds with a patchwork offensive line blocking for him.

UNHWildCats
May 7th, 2006, 12:23 PM
ralph.......Santos and Ball went up against their OWN DEFENSE. How much are these guys trying to lay them out???:rolleyes:

1. UMass 145.1 Yds/G ......18-28 248 yards 4 TDs
2. Maine 180.5 ......30-46 363 yards 4 TDs Santos rush 18-116 3 TDs
3. James Madison 181.0
4. Villanova 191.4 .....28-33 385 yards 5 TDs
5. Towson 195.5 ......23-33 422 yards 3 TDs
6. Hofstra 200.5
7. Northeastern 211.7 ......25-26 306 yards 5 TDs
8. Richmond 219.2
9. William & Mary 223.8 ......33-56 324 yards
10. Rhode Island 231.6 ......12-13 134 yards 4 TDs
11. UNH 244.5
12. Delaware 244.9

Yea those defensive stats were a good argument. Not one of them controlled or contained UNH. Yea W&M beat UNH but they couldn't contain Santos, they just got a lot of fumble recoveries.

Bold represent games Santos sat most of the second half in.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM
1. For a significant stretch the first team offense was playing the second team defense.

2. Earlier this year, I attempted to give a reality check to so many of you, who were picking UNH as the #1 or #2 team in the country, because there were significant losses on defense that had to be filled. And most of you shat all over last year's defense.

Why would there be any surprise than Santos and Co. torched their own defense? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

May 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM
... there were significant losses on defense that had to be filled... Why would there be any surprise than Santos and Co. torched their own defense?Why would there be any surprise that they torched ANY defense?

I already posted this on the Depth Chart thread:

New Hampshire

BACK:
Five of 11 starters on defense.
Biggest names back:
FS Jeff Pammer, All-American
CB/RS Corey Graham, All-Conference

GONE:
Six of 11 starters on defense:
Both defensive ends, a tackle, a linebacker, cornerback and strong safety. Three junior backups returning.
Biggest names gone:
DT Derek Stank, All-Conference
SS Baron Flenory, All-Conference

Talked with Coach about it on I-AA WAVES too.

blukeys
May 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM
1. For a significant stretch the first team offense was playing the second team defense.

2. Earlier this year, I attempted to give a reality check to so many of you, who were picking UNH as the #1 or #2 team in the country, because there were significant losses on defense that had to be filled. And most of you shat all over last year's defense.

Why would there be any surprise than Santos and Co. torched their own defense? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Agreed,
Delaware had 20 players not participating in the Spring Game. There was one first team wideout and the defensive secondary looked great :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Big Surprise.

The spring game is a coaches tool and nothing else. We won't know anything until 9-2-06

mainejeff
May 7th, 2006, 07:24 PM
The spring game is a coaches tool and nothing else.

Exactly.

umassfan
May 8th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I was at the game on Saturday, and it was truely amazing watching these two guys perform. Santos through a couple of passes to ball with people all over him and Ball just out jumped them and came down with the ball. It should also be known that it was first team Offense against second team Defense for the first half of the scrimmage. UNH should have a good pass defense this season with Corey Graham, Jeff Pammer, and John Clement. The guy to watch is freshman RB Chad Kackert, he has a second gear and a burst that is amazing he had 9 carries for 91yds with a patchwork offensive line blocking for him.

Yea but you just said he was going against the second team defense... so that that for what its worth... with all the starters you lost, your second team would be that much weaker.

GannonFan
May 8th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Man, a lot of talk over what everyone seems to agree is obvious - Santos and Ball are incredible and will have UNH's offense great again this year, and UNH's defense is very questionable and needs to fill a few holes. Anything new we missed?

UNHWildCats
May 8th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Man, a lot of talk over what everyone seems to agree is obvious - Santos and Ball are incredible and will have UNH's offense great again this year, and UNH's defense is very questionable and needs to fill a few holes. Anything new we missed?

Please oh please read previous posts. Just because Santos and Ball decimated the UNH defense does not mean the UNH defense is weaker then last year. UNH had its way with some very good defenses last year.

SunCoastBlueHen
May 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM

1. UMass 145.1 Yds/G
2. Maine 180.5
3. James Madison 181.0
4. Villanova 191.4
5. Towson 195.5
6. Hofstra 200.5
7. Northeastern 211.7
8. Richmond 219.2
9. William & Mary 223.8
10. Rhode Island 231.6
11. UNH 244.5
12. Delaware 244.9

It should also be noted that Pass Defense stats can be misleading when the opposing team is always playing from behind (though not the case for Delaware, we were just bad).

GannonFan
May 8th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Please oh please read previous posts. Just because Santos and Ball decimated the UNH defense does not mean the UNH defense is weaker then last year. UNH had its way with some very good defenses last year.

Did you even read my post - I said UNH's offense will be incredible again this year because of Santos and Ball - not because of anything to do with the performance in a glorified practice in the Spring. I'm not disagreeing with you.

UNH 40
May 8th, 2006, 09:33 AM
It should also be noted that Pass Defense stats can be misleading when the opposing team is always playing from behind (though not the case for Delaware, we were just bad).

Great point. Teams were playing catch up and were forced to pass on every down in the second half in an effort to get back into the game. Most of the time teams were passing the ball on the second string Defense who was playing mop up in the second half of 9 of there games.

UNHWildCats
May 8th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Did you even read my post - I said UNH's offense will be incredible again this year because of Santos and Ball - not because of anything to do with the performance in a glorified practice in the Spring. I'm not disagreeing with you.

I was actually going after your point about the defense, you cant judge the defense based on what the UNH offense did to them in the spring game.

Also I wonder if you read the Union Leader article that was linked at the beggining of this thread? They were solid when against the second team offense causing many turnovers in the process.

PantherRob82
May 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM
:confused: Then every defense in the A-10 must not be a "powerhouse" either because in 2005 Santos lead the A-10 in Passing Avg/Game, Total Offense, Pass Efficiency. UNH averaged 41.7 points per game and Santos averaged 330.9 total offense and 3 passing TDS per game (usually not playing the fourth quarter).

I swear I've heard stuff like this before....

Oh yeah, it was every 5 minutes from Chicago to New Hampshire, Friday night before bed, on the way to the game, and all the way back to Chicago. :)

UNHWildCats
May 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I swear I've heard stuff like this before....

Oh yeah, it was every 5 minutes from Chicago to New Hampshire, Friday night before bed, on the way to the game, and all the way back to Chicago. :)

I surely hope your not suggesting UNI contained Santos and Ball?

Sure UNI won the game, but Santos and Ball walked all over the UNI defense.

Passing: NEW HAMPSHIRE- Ricky Santos 27-42-345- 0.

Rushing: NEW HAMPSHIRE- Ricky Santos 21-106

Receiving: NEW HAMPSHIRE-David Ball 10-188

Chi Panther
May 8th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Why would these guys even play in the Spring Game??????:confused:

Chi Panther
May 8th, 2006, 09:36 PM

Uni was a little off their game considering the game was outside and it was cold......:p :eyebrow: :rotateh:

May 8th, 2006, 10:00 PM
:lmao:

Reed Rothchild
May 9th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Congratulations to UNH on their "Moral" victory.

UNHWildCats
May 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Uni was a little off their game considering the game was outside and it was cold......:p :eyebrow: :rotateh:

Safer to say UNH was off there game a little and lost the turnover battle which is the only reason UNI won.

Reed Rothchild
May 9th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Safer to say UNH was off there game a little and lost the turnover battle which is the only reason UNI won.

Losing the turnover battle is usually why most teams lose.

Mountain Panther
May 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM

You lost. We advanced. Get over it. Hope for a better playoff performance in 2006.

UNHWildCats
May 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM
You lost. We advanced. Get over it. Hope for a better playoff performance in 2006.

I hope we get UNI back in Durham again this year!

rcny46
May 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM

You're right of course.That's just the way the game goes sometimes.It sure as hell isn't easy putting the might have beens out of your mind though.

May 10th, 2006, 01:23 AM
You're right of course.That's just the way the game goes sometimes.It sure as hell isn't easy putting the might have beens out of your mind though.c'mon rcny, where's the sandbagging????? :confused:

Granite
May 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Well, there shouldn't be any surprises about the offense - and I thought that the 1st team defense (albeit going up against the second team offense) looked pretty good. I'm not convinced that the D is going to be significantly worse than last year - remember, a lot of guys who will be starting this year saw signficant PT last season.

Did you make it to game, UNH Alum?

Agreed (although I'm not sure that the D is "very questionable" - they just have some question marks!). There really weren't to many surprises on Saturday.

jmuroller
May 10th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I will say it again. Until UNH learns to play defense they will not be a serious contender come playoff time. You can't outscore everyone everytime.

Granite
May 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I will say it again. Until UNH learns to play defense they will not be a serious contender come playoff time. You can't outscore everyone everytime.

I can think of one playoff game in the last 4 that UNH has played where you could make the argument that the defense failed - and I'm not sure that I'd place the blame at our defense's feet in the game at Montana in 2005. Our defense did a good job against UNI - they played well enough that if the offense did a better job protecting the ball, the outcome of the game might have been different (not an excuse UNI fans - its just a game of ifs and buts at this point and we all know who won). The defense also played well enough to give the offense room to work against Georgia Southern in 2005.

Our defense isn't as good as our offense - but the offense has been so good that our defense hasn't had to be. And I don't think anyone who watches UNH every week would claim that our defense has been a major factor in determining our playoff chances over the past 2 years.

UNH 40
May 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Its not about how many yards you give up it is about how many points you give up. UNH gave up 22 points a game last year, and again i hate to beat a dead horse here. But 90% of the time the starting D was out of the game before or in the middle of the 3rd quarter. I would venture to say that half to two thirds of the points that UNH gave up last year were scored on the second and third string defense. If UNH wanted to to last year they could have stuck with the #1 defensive unit and given up somewhere between 12 and 16 points, which is pretty darn good.

PantherRob82
May 12th, 2006, 12:22 AM
well, my comment was more about having to hear ralph rave about santos and ball from from the second we met up with him after press duties, through dinner with some of your coaches, and all the way home over 2 days.

if we ever do come out to durham again, i reccomend against the giant sign made out of a sheet. it was a nice decoration in the locker room after the game. :D

but seriously, i'd love to come back. beautiful area and you have at least one nice fan in granite. ;)

igo4uni
May 12th, 2006, 09:25 PM
if we ever do come out to durham again

Won't happen.

UNH will come to the fabulouse UNI-Dome!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

jmuroller
May 13th, 2006, 11:21 AM
What would have been nuts is if UNH did beat UNI. TX ST woud have had to come to Durham the next week and IIRC there was something like 5-8 inches(maybe more) of snow that week. That game would make the Colgate/UMass game a few years ago look like a snow flurry.

May 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM
well, my comment was more about having to hear ralph rave about santos and ball...I was just trying to balance the homer UNI fans I was riding with. xlolx :nod: :D

igo4uni
May 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I was just trying to balance the homer UNI fans I was riding with. xlolx :nod: :D

Oh come on, Ralph............all UNI fans are fair and objective.:cool:

Pantherpower
May 14th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Nice stats.........Who won???;)

Mountain Panther
May 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Our rushing and passing game definately showed up that day. Sanders was sharin' the love all over the field. :)

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
-------------------------------------------------
Horne, David 28 151 7 144 1 40 5.1

Passing Att-Cmp-Int Yds TD Long Sack
-------------------------------------------------
Sanders, Eric 25-15-1 185 1 32 2

Receiving No. Yds TD Long
----------------------------------------
Surrency, Justin 4 45 0 21
Horne, David 3 36 1 32
Lindgren, James 2 26 0 19
Goodwin, Jamie 1 30 0 30
Breeland, Jason 1 19 0 19

UNH 40
May 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM
What would have been nuts is if UNH did beat UNI. TX ST woud have had to come to Durham the next week and IIRC there was something like 5-8 inches(maybe more) of snow that week. That game would make the Colgate/UMass game a few years ago look like a snow flurry.

Great point. There was a snow storm the that friday and we got something like 10 or 11 inches of snow and the temp. reached like 23 for a high. Can you imagine how shell shocked Texas St. would have been in that brutal weather. It would have been unbelievable to watch.

PantherRob82
May 14th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Great point. There was a snow storm the that friday and we got something like 10 or 11 inches of snow and the temp. reached like 23 for a high. Can you imagine how shell shocked Texas St. would have been in that brutal weather. It would have been unbelievable to watch.

...just like a dome team would be shell shocked? :twocents:

UNH 40
May 15th, 2006, 07:13 AM
...just like a dome team would be shell shocked? :twocents:

Iowa is still in the nothern part of the country, and most of your players played high school ball in Iowa or another northern state. They have all experienced the snow and the cold. None of the players from Texas St. would have seen anything like what would have been waiting for them had UNH beaten northern Iowa, and hosted the semi-finals in Durham.

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2006, 01:01 PM
fair enough :D

wildcat_fan
May 19th, 2006, 05:30 PM

I was fortunate enough to meet David Ball at a schoolboy football banquet in Manchester a couple of weeks ago. He is smaller and thinner than I thought he would be, but I'm not going to complain as long as he keeps hauling them in! I don't know why he and a couple of other players were at this banquet--one of the players honored at the event will be playing for UNH next year--but it certainly made the night a little less boring than I thought it would be. I told him and the other players that everyone in Wildcat Nation was very excited about the upcoming season.:D