PDA

View Full Version : College Sporting News: Nov. 1 GPI Playoff Projections

CSN-info
November 2nd, 2011, 11:30 PM
By Kent Schmidt, College Sporting News

Here are the latest projections based on the GPI. Again, this is based on if the season ended today, it is how I would see the playoff field. With three weeks left, there likely will be much movement.

10/31/2011 GPI
Rank, School, Rating, Change
1. N Dakota St (1.00) +1 MVFC #1
2. Northern Iowa (3.43) +1 At-Large #1 #2
3T. Sam Houston St (4.00) +1 Southland #3
3T. Ga Southern (4.00) -3 SoCon #4
5T. Appalachian St (5.43) +1 At-Large #2 #5
5T. Montana St (5.43) +3 Big Sky Home-2nd
7. Wofford (6.57) -2 At-Large #3 Road-2nd
8. Maine (7.57) -1 CAA Home-2nd
9. Montana (9.43) +5 At-Large #4 Home-2nd
10. Lehigh (11.43) -0 Patriot Road-2nd
11. Indiana St (12.71) +4 At-Large #5 Road-2nd
12. New Hampshire (13.57) -0 At-Large #6 Road-2nd
13. Harvard (14.86) +3 No Participation
14. Illinois St (16.14) +5 At-Large #7 Home-1st
15. Furman (17.14) +3 At-Large #8 Home-1st
16. Old Dominion (17.43) +5 At-Large #9 Home-1st
17. James Madison (19.43) -6 At-Large #10 Home-1st
29T. Liberty (27.86) Big South Road-1st
32. E Kentucky (30.29) OVC Road-1st
47. Albany (41.14) NEC Road-1st
48. Norfolk St (41.57) MEAC Road-1st

1st Round
Liberty @ James Madison
E Kentucky @ Illinois St
Albany @ Old Dominion
Norfolk St @ Furman

2nd Round
Liberty/James Madison @ #1 N Dakota St
E Kentucky/Illinos St @ #2 N Iowa
Albany/Old Dominion @ #3 Sam Houston St
Norfolk St/Furman @ #4 Georgia Southern
New Hampshire @ #5 App St
Indian St @ Montana St
Wofford @ Montana
Lehigh @ Maine

Read more... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?190-Nov.-1-GPI-Playoff-Projections)

ngineer
November 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM

Here are the latest projections based on the GPI. Again, this is based on if the season ended today, it is how I would see the playoff field. With three weeks left, there likely will be much movement.

10/31/2011 GPI

1st Round
Liberty @ James Madison
E Kentucky @ Illinois St
Albany @ Old Dominion
Norfolk St @ Furman

2nd Round
Indian St @ Montana St
Wofford @ Montana
Lehigh @ Maine

Read more... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?190-Nov.-1-GPI-Playoff-Projections)

I would be surprised if Maine outbid Lehigh for home field.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM

10/31/2011 GPI

1st Round
Liberty @ James Madison
E Kentucky @ Illinois St
Albany @ Old Dominion
Norfolk St @ Furman

2nd Round
Indian St @ Montana St
Wofford @ Montana
Lehigh @ Maine

1) I thought the NCAA does not like to see first round rematches; or is that only conference teams against each other (Liberty @ JMU)?

2) I thought they were likely to pod-seed no matter the ranking. That would rearrange your first round to:

NSU @ ODU 5 miles
Liberty @ Furman 303 miles
EKU @ Illinois State 383 miles
Albany @ JMU 474 miles

Tod
November 3rd, 2011, 12:33 AM
If Montana State beats the Griz, as this projection obviously assumes, there's no way they don't get seeded.

Edit: My bad, didn't realize this is based on GPI, though that's clearly stated. As you were.

eaglewraith
November 3rd, 2011, 06:29 AM
I don't think the winner of Norfolk State/Furman would go to Georgia Southern either.

If they force a possible conference rematch that early that's crazy.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
xlolx So let me get this straight xconfusedx This guy would skip from #18 to #29 in his own GPI to pick up the #29, 32, 47 & 48th ranked team xcrazyxxsmhx

10/31/2011 GPI Top 25
18. Chattanooga (19.57) -6
19. Cal Poly (20.00) +4
20. Towson (20.29) -11
21. Brown (20.43) -4
22. Samford (23.00) -2
23. Youngstown St (23.29) NEW
24. Massachusetts (23.71) NEW
25. Southern Utah (25.29) NEW

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
I hope they evenly split the MVFC in the bracket. MVFC v MVFC for the championship would be fantastic.

superman7515
November 3rd, 2011, 06:52 AM
xlolx So let me get this straight xconfusedx This guy would skip from #18 to #29 in his own GPI to pick up the #29, 32, 47 & 48th ranked team xcrazyxxsmhx

Those are autobids...

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
I hope they evenly split the MVFC in the bracket. MVFC v MVFC for the championship would be fantastic.

That's often the hope for most conferences, but that's usually not the result. For example, two Big Sky teams have been in the same four team grouping the last 3 years.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
Those are autobids...

Exactly!! Goes to show you that the best teams don't get to play in the playoff's... I say dump the auto bids. Let each Conference reward teams for winning it. Get the 20 best teams into the playoff's period. Doing this may send a message to the weaker conferences to up the schedule strength and play better OOC games.

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2011, 07:12 AM
That's often the hope for most conferences, but that's usually not the result. For example, two Big Sky teams have been in the same four team grouping the last 3 years.

That had to do with seeding last year.. I dont have the other brackets on hand.

andy7171
November 3rd, 2011, 07:15 AM
I like how ODU gets in over Towson, with a weaker OOC schedule and losing the head to head.

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
I like how ODU gets in over Towson, with a weaker OOC schedule and losing the head to head.

Monarch > Tiger. You should of picked a cooler mascot. The Towson Turtles would totally be in over ODU.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
Exactly!! Goes to show you that the best teams don't get to play in the playoff's... I say dump the auto bids.

The best teams do get to play in the playoffs. With the current format, no more than 12 teams will get a win in the playoffs. Your issue is with teams below that mark. This isn't meant to be a coddle fest for the 6 and 7 win teams in big conferences. The playoffs are to decide ONE winner. It's not a strictly top 20 teams format. So they give the bids to conference WINNERS, and the best teams remaining. They give the small conferences auto-bids to give them an opportunity to prove themselves against other conference winners. If your team didn't win your conference and is also not one of the top 10 non-conference winners, there's no use to add them to the playoffs.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
The best teams do get to play in the playoffs. With the current format, no more than 12 teams will get a win in the playoffs. Your issue is with teams below that mark. This isn't meant to be a coddle fest for the 6 and 7 win teams in big conferences. The playoffs are to decide ONE winner. It's not a strictly top 20 teams format. So they give the bids to conference WINNERS, and the best teams remaining. They give the small conferences auto-bids to give them an opportunity to prove themselves against other conference winners. If your team didn't win your conference and is also not one of the top 10 non-conference winners, there's no use to add them to the playoffs.

I disagree but it is what it is. It's not time to prove your worth coming into the playoff by winning a weak conference. Funny how a team can finish with 7 wins and 3rd or 4th in a power conference and be 10-30 spots higher in the GPI than the 9-2, 10-1, 11-0 conference auto bid winner. Just sayin..... xthumbsdownx

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 07:46 AM

Sadly Andy the 20 best team don't get into the playoffs. Even when the field was 16 team's there was still bad choices made by the selection committee.

IaaScribe
November 3rd, 2011, 07:50 AM
Wait, so a fan of a team that played Valpo and St. Francis in the non-conference is complaining about teams from the auto-bid leagues not playing a strong enough non-conference schedule? That's rich.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 08:09 AM
Wait, so a fan of a team that played Valpo and St. Francis in the non-conference is complaining about teams from the auto-bid leagues not playing a strong enough non-conference schedule? That's rich.

Well guess what? You validated my argument. Teams that have Valpo and St. Francis annually are going to the playoffs. I hate we played them, this did not benefit YSU what so ever it just gave us two D1 wins towards the magical 7 D1 win's needed to qualify for the playoffs. OOC schedules are hard to fill these days. Play a top tier D2 team and get no credit for the playoff's but you get a good game and some competition. Play a D1 non scholly or partial scholly team get no competition and ridiculed by trolls from weak conference affiliations LOL!! So can you give credit to YSU/me for Michigan State?

BEAR
November 3rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Exactly!! Goes to show you that the best teams don't get to play in the playoff's... I say dump the auto bids. Let each Conference reward teams for winning it. Get the 20 best teams into the playoff's period. Doing this may send a message to the weaker conferences to up the schedule strength and play better OOC games.

I know the Southland is middle of the pack in conferences, but using that theory UCA would be in the playoffs because even though they are in a weaker conference, they should win 7 DI games AND scheduled a very strong OOC in La. Tech and Ark. State. So if Sam gets the autobid then according to your theory UCA should get an at large if they win out. Am I reading that right? Even over a good team from a stronger conference?

IaaScribe
November 3rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
Of course. That's why I didn't include it in my point.

A lot of the upper-tier teams from the lower-level auto-bid leagues are playing up though. Albany had Maine on its schedule. Liberty played JMU, N.C. State and Lehigh. Coastal Carolina played Furman and Georgia. Gardner-Webb played two FBS schools and Samford on the road. CCSU went to James Madison.

The whole point of an NCAA postseason is to allow the champions from those leagues a chance to stack up against the best from other conferences. Otherwise the NCAA basketball tournament would just be a 65-team drag of power-conference schools. No fun. Teams in the middle of the power leagues have plenty of opportunities to prove their worth during the conference season, and they need to win some of those games. Unfortunately for the Penguins, with that non-conference sked, 7-4 isn't going to be enough. Win out, and YSU has a case.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
I disagree but it is what it is. It's not time to prove your worth coming into the playoff by winning a weak conference. Funny how a team can finish with 7 wins and 3rd or 4th in a power conference and be 10-30 spots higher in the GPI than the 9-2, 10-1, 11-0 conference auto bid winner. Just sayin..... xthumbsdownx

I'd rather watch how a game played out on the football field rather than from a computer. The idea is to give everyone a chance to be FIRST place. The 4th place team from a power conference already proved three times that it is not the first place team. Why give them more chances? Both the playoffs AND the regular season are used to weed out the other 119 teams.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
Of course. That's why I didn't include it in my point.

A lot of the upper-tier teams from the lower-level auto-bid leagues are playing up though. Albany had Maine on its schedule. Liberty played JMU, N.C. State and Lehigh. Coastal Carolina played Furman and Georgia. Gardner-Webb played two FBS schools and Samford on the road. CCSU went to James Madison.

The whole point of an NCAA postseason is to allow the champions from those leagues a chance to stack up against the best from other conferences. Otherwise the NCAA basketball tournament would just be a 65-team drag of power-conference schools. No fun. Teams in the middle of the power leagues have plenty of opportunities to prove their worth during the conference season, and they need to win some of those games. Unfortunately for the Penguins, with that non-conference sked, 7-4 isn't going to be enough. Win out, and YSU has a case.

This I agree with. Y-town blew a great chance at post season falling asleep in Terre haute and losing at home to a poor SDSU team (that we haven't beaten since they joined our league)!! I don't get the love for IL State though?? We beat them soundly but there's no love for the Guins LOL!!

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
I'd rather watch how a game played out on the football field rather than from a computer. The idea is to give everyone a chance to be FIRST place. The 4th place team from a power conference already proved three times that it is not the first place team. Why give them more chances? Both the playoffs AND the regular season are used to weed out the other 119 teams.

That's why we hate the BCS so much LOL!! xsalutex

goyotes
November 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM

+1 If you don't win your own conference you have no one to blame but yourself.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
+1 If you don't win your own conference you have no one to blame but yourself.

Welcome to the MVFC. I'll see you *****ing next year xsalutex

youwouldno
November 3rd, 2011, 09:57 AM

The problem with your logic is that power conference teams with several losses pretty much always win against the weaker conference teams with better records. So if you want the best teams, you have to go with the ones who have shown they can win against tougher competition. A team's record doesn't mean anything if it does not include the sort of competition found in the playoffs.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
The problem with your logic is that power conference teams with several losses pretty much always win against the weaker conference teams with better records. So if you want the best teams, you have to go with the ones who have shown they can win against tougher competition. A team's record doesn't mean anything if it does not include the sort of competition found in the playoffs.

The playoffs aren't looking for the best teams. It's looking for the best TEAM. One. That means almost every team has been proven not to be the best in some way. You can't use heresay like "power conference teams with several losses pretty much always win against the weaker conference teams with better records" because that doesn't happen every single time. The NEC conference champion team may not win a game, but with including them there is absolute proof they couldn't win. The NCAA champion has to be that with absolute proof. That means having every eligible team earned a chance.

jmufan999
November 3rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
The 4th place team from a power conference already proved three times that it is not the first place team. Why give them more chances? Both the playoffs AND the regular season are used to weed out the other 119 teams.

You give them more chances because they're playing such a difficult schedule. Also, the 4th place team didn't always lose to every team in front of them. JMU is not playing Towson this year, for example. There are numerous examples of teams that won the national title but didn't win their own conference. JMU is one, UR in 2008 is another, Eastern Washington last year. Those are just a few off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. The committee gives multiple bids to power conferences for a reason. They perform well in the playoffs.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
You give them more chances because they're playing such a difficult schedule. Also, the 4th place team didn't always lose to every team in front of them. JMU is not playing Towson this year, for example. There are numerous examples of teams that won the national title but didn't win their own conference. JMU is one, UR in 2008 is another, Eastern Washington last year. Those are just a few off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. The committee gives multiple bids to power conferences for a reason. They perform well in the playoffs.

Check earlier posts by me. I mentioned the conference champs and the TOP at large teams. So that will usually be multiple teams from the CAA, but not ranging down to the 18th ranked teams in the nation. That's where my argument started from. The argument was whether it should be the top 20 teams or having the top 10 at large and the 10 AQ's.

youwouldno
November 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
The playoffs aren't looking for the best teams. It's looking for the best TEAM. One. That means almost every team has been proven not to be the best in some way. You can't use heresay like "power conference teams with several losses pretty much always win against the weaker conference teams with better records" because that doesn't happen every single time. The NEC conference champion team may not win a game, but with including them there is absolute proof they couldn't win. The NCAA champion has to be that with absolute proof. That means having every eligible team earned a chance.

Every team does have a chance. They can schedule strong opponents out of conference, if their own conference is weak. Why should a team be rewarded for avoiding any tough games? They have proven something- that they don't deserve the spot of an actually competitive team.

Besides which, quite often a different team wins in a re-match. So a 7-4 team (usually 7-3 against FCS) may have made a couple bad plays during the year but is very dangerous in the playoffs.

Plenty of 8-3 teams have had success in the playoffs, including winning the National Championship. It would have been a shame if they had been excluded for a 9-2 team who played a joke schedule. With the playoffs expanded, strong 7-4 teams will be included, and they will also be competitive.

ASU_MBA
November 3rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
If App State wins out, we are #2 seed. With our attendance and the strength of the SoCon this year it is an easy choice for the committee. No way they put the #1 and #2 seeds in the midwest. (NDSU and Mont. State)

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Why would they reward App. St. for losing to Wofford, when Montana State and NDSU wouldn't have any FCS losses?

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 10:57 AM
Why would they reward App. St. for losing to Wofford, when Montana State and NDSU wouldn't have any FCS losses?

Simple; Past success, fans in the stands, $$$ and favoritism.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Every team does have a chance. They can schedule strong opponents out of conference, if their own conference is weak. Why should a team be rewarded for avoiding any tough games? They have proven something- that they don't deserve the spot of an actually competitive team.

Besides which, quite often a different team wins in a re-match. So a 7-4 team (usually 7-3 against FCS) may have made a couple bad plays during the year but is very dangerous in the playoffs.

Plenty of 8-3 teams have had success in the playoffs, including winning the National Championship. It would have been a shame if they had been excluded for a 9-2 team who played a joke schedule. With the playoffs expanded, strong 7-4 teams will be included, and they will also be competitive.

Facepalm. One year a team can be tough and the next year they might suck. How do you know that when you schedule multiple years in advance? Look at Central Arkansas. You say their schedule sucks. Western Illinois was in the playoffs last year. The Southland usually had a pretty decent lineup of teams. How is it their own scheduling fault? Also, a team can't just schedule whoever they want to. The playoffs aren't a ranking of teams. It's half conference champions half at large teams. If you can't get into that group of ten at large teams. Why do you deserve to have the chance to beat them and the 4 power conference champions above them? The other conference champions deserve it because they WON something. You win until you lose. The rules are understood before the season starts. Furman, Delaware, W&M, Samford, Chattanooga, Youngstown, Eastern Washington, Richmond, Portland St. Why don't we just include them all? Once again, after the conference champions are taken, that still allows for TEN more teams. How many more do you need to decide the true champion? Also, how many 8 win teams won the national championship at the FCS level? I'm very curious.

james_lawfirm
November 3rd, 2011, 11:17 AM

Yep. Beat me to it. Only thing I would add is that if App wins out & GaSo beats Wofford, a 2 seed will be deserved. However, it is ENTIRELY possible, that if App wins out AND if Wofford beats GaSo, that Wofford is offered the #2 seed (since they would get the AQ), IF WC makes the minimum bid. I am not sure that WC will make the minimum bid required. App will still be co-champs in that scenario, and could get the 2 seed (with higher bid). I remember one year recently WC were sent to Montana in the 1st round (where they won!).

And, before anyone hollers that "IT'S NOT FAIR! [whine]", I recall that App won the Nat'l Champ. game in 2007 as an unseeded team. Might as well base home games on money; it makes the world go around.

youwouldno
November 3rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Facepalm. One year a team can be tough and the next year they might suck. How do you know that when you schedule multiple years in advance? Look at Central Arkansas. You say their schedule sucks. Western Illinois was in the playoffs last year. The Southland usually had a pretty decent lineup of teams. How is it their own scheduling fault? Also, a team can't just schedule whoever they want to. The playoffs aren't a ranking of teams. It's half conference champions half at large teams. If you can't get into that group of ten at large teams. Why do you deserve to have the chance to beat them and the 4 power conference champions above them? The other conference champions deserve it because they WON something. You win until you lose. The rules are understood before the season starts. Furman, Delaware, W&M, Samford, Chattanooga, Youngstown, Eastern Washington, Richmond, Portland St. Why don't we just include them all? Once again, after the conference champions are taken, that still allows for TEN more teams. How many more do you need to decide the true champion? Also, how many 8 win teams won the national championship at the FCS level? I'm very curious.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. The "rules" are to beat quality opposition. That is the stated policy of the NCAA in all sports when it comes to post-season selection. Do you think they were wrong to leave out 10-1 Jacksonville last year? It's not necessarily a school's "fault" per se, but wins mean nothing if they didn't come against quality opposition. That's logically inarguable- an undefeated high school team isn't better than a losing FCS team.

So far as 8-win teams, the last one was all the way back in 2008 (Richmond). They had lost to 2 CAA teams and an FBS team, yet they went on to beat the #2, #3, and #4 seed, all of which had better records.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Apps fans in the stands is not any better than MSU's or NDSU's would be for the playoffs so there isn't some big diffferece in money there and it's not a big hill to climb for either NDSU or MSU to put that money together.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. The "rules" are to beat quality opposition. That is the stated policy of the NCAA in all sports when it comes to post-season selection. Do you think they were wrong to leave out 10-1 Jacksonville last year? It's not necessarily a school's "fault" per se, but wins mean nothing if they didn't come against quality opposition. That's logically inarguable- an undefeated high school team isn't better than a losing FCS team.

So far as 8-win teams, the last one was all the way back in 2008 (Richmond). They had lost to 2 CAA teams and an FBS team, yet they went on to beat the #2, #3, and #4 seed, all of which had better records.

I mentioned eligible teams multiple times. Not high school teams, not Jacksonville. Playoff eligible conference champions. Richmond tied for their conference championship by the way. They just didn't get the auto-bid. If you look back at the original argument. The complaint was that teams ranked above 19 in this poll aren't getting in. Richmond in 2008 was likely ranked in the top ten. I don't need previous teams winning to be an example for you. I said I understand there are 10 eligible at large teams. In previous years they went by that same criteria. Read what I have argued before you mention the high school teams. Go back to the start. Also, Richmond was 9-3 that season.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
The "rules" are to beat quality opposition. That is the stated policy of the NCAA in all sports when it comes to post-season selection.

So in college basketball they follow by your rules when a team from the SWAC gets into the College Basketball Tournament? No, I believe the guideline is to grant the opportunity to every ELIGIBLE conference champion. College Football is the ONLY sport that limits the conference champions from having a shot at a national title. So please don't attempt that argument again.

youwouldno
November 3rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
So in college basketball they follow by your rules when a team from the SWAC gets into the College Basketball Tournament? No, I believe the guideline is to grant the opportunity to every ELIGIBLE conference champion. College Football is the ONLY sport that limits the conference champions from having a shot at a national title. So please don't attempt that argument again.

Maybe I just misunderstood you... are you saying the PFL champ should make it until their autobid is official?

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Maybe I just misunderstood you... are you saying the PFL champ should make it until their autobid is official?

Moving on...

tingly
November 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
If the field expands to 24, AQ's won't go up more than 1 if at all. AQ's are in case a conference schedule hammers its champ, except Pioneer's, to get a 6 D1 win champ into the field, except Pioneer's, and to reward a team for winning its conference even though they aren't top 20, except Pioneer's. Basketball accepts occasional AQ's that are rated down in the 200's, so why not PFL?.

2005 App State was the last 8-win champ. They were seeded #2 with losses to Furman and a couple of 1-A's.

ASU_MBA
November 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM

What this guy said.

I still think if App wins out we will get a #2 seed, especially if Ga. Southern beats Wofford and we are the AQ team. I just don't think the committee puts #1 and #2 in the Midwest for travel costs and not sure Montana State can match our bid. Plus ESPN loves to come to Boone for home games, The Rock is digital ready, plug-in play.

of course there is still a lot of football left. We have to beat Furman first and the Montana - Montana State game could change a lot.

jmufan999
November 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Check earlier posts by me. I mentioned the conference champs and the TOP at large teams. So that will usually be multiple teams from the CAA, but not ranging down to the 18th ranked teams in the nation. That's where my argument started from. The argument was whether it should be the top 20 teams or having the top 10 at large and the 10 AQ's.

Gotcha, I apologize. Must have missed that.

Richmond tied for their conference championship by the way. They just didn't get the auto-bid.

Maybe I'm missing something else here, but if you're still talking about 2008, this is inaccurate. JMU beat UR and was undefeated in the CAA that year, there was no tie. Maybe you're referring to another year, though.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
What this guy said.

I still think if App wins out we will get a #2 seed, especially if Ga. Southern beats Wofford and we are the AQ team. I just don't think the committee puts #1 and #2 in the Midwest for travel costs and not sure Montana State can match our bid. Plus ESPN loves to come to Boone for home games, The Rock is digital ready, plug-in play.

of course there is still a lot of football left. We have to beat Furman first and the Montana - Montana State game could change a lot.

They can't match your bid? If you are selected as a seed then you only have to make the minimum bid. That isn't gonna be a problem for any of the teams in the discussion.

30K is all you need to bid.

ASU_MBA
November 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
They can't match your bid? If you are selected as a seed then you only have to make the minimum bid. That isn't gonna be a problem for any of the teams in the discussion.

30K is all you need to bid.

Gotcha. I had forgotten that...still think we get the #2 seed.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM

Coul be, I'm not saying it won't be that way but if MSU & NDSU have no FCS losses, being from power conferences as well, it's not even close to a shoe in. It's actually not even "more than likely" it would be less than.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Gotcha, I apologize. Must have missed that.

Maybe I'm missing something else here, but if you're still talking about 2008, this is inaccurate. JMU beat UR and was undefeated in the CAA that year, there was no tie. Maybe you're referring to another year, though.

Good spot JMU fan, I was incorrect there. I must have been looking at 09 or 07.

Walkon79
November 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM

Disagree completely. Why should it matter where they're from? Any team from a power conference that's undefeated in FCS should get a high seed. Now if ASU, NDSU and MSU all ended the year with a 0 in the loss column, your argument has merit based on past playoff success. If the Bison and Cats keep winning, they'll be #1 and #2 going into the playoffs.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Disagree completely. Why should it matter where they're from? Any team from a power conference that's undefeated in FCS should get a high seed. Now if ASU, NDSU and MSU all ended the year with a 0 in the loss column, your argument has merit based on past playoff success. If the Bison and Cats keep winning, they'll be #1 and #2 going into the playoffs.

Here's how it will go. If all the teams win out;

1. Maine

2. Ap State

3. NDSU

4. MT ST.

5. SHSU

Bank on it!

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Here's how it will go. If all the teams win out;

1. Maine

2. Ap State

3. NDSU

4 MT ST.

5. SHSU

Bank on it!

That's a far-fetched claim. Montana has been the number one seed in the past. Northern Iowa has also taken the number 1 seed in the past. Why would they switch it this year?

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
That's a far-fetched claim. Montana has been the number one seed in the past. Northern Iowa has also taken the number 1 seed in the past. Why would they switch it this year?

Just my gut feeling. NCAA sure loves the CAA and SOCON, especially the last few years. Plus, they are damn good conferences top to bottom.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
Just my gut feeling. NCAA sure loves the CAA and SOCON, especially the last few years. Plus, they are damn good conferences top to bottom.

2009 Montana had the number one seed over Villanova. Southern Illinois had #3 over Richmond. That's pretty recent.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
2009 Montana had the number one seed over Villanova. Southern Illinois had #3 over Richmond. That's pretty recent.

True.. BUT hold on my friend!! Montana has been known to get some "favorable" calls by the NCAA selection committee over the past 32 years of 1AA/FCS playoff football for all the same reasons Ap State will get #2 $$ and fans in the stands.

Walkon79
November 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
True.. BUT hold on my friend!! Montana has been known to get some "favorable" calls by the NCAA selection committee over the past 32 years of 1AA/FCS playoff football for all the same reasons Ap State will get #2 $$ and fans in the stands.

We'll put 18,000 in the stands if we get a seed. not that much of a difference, IMO. NDSU would do 19,000.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 02:23 PM
We'll put 18,000 in the stands if we get a seed. not that much of a difference, IMO. NDSU would do 19,000.

AP State 32,000 +

james_lawfirm
November 3rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
AP State 32,000 +

I doubt it. Playoffs ALWAYS generate lower attendance than regular season games. There are many reasons for this, all of which have been described profusely in another thread.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
I doubt it. Playoffs ALWAYS generate lower attendance than regular season games. There are many reasons for this, all of which have been described profusely in another thread.

I bet you can beat 19,000

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 02:32 PM

True, given the opportunity they'll give Montana a first round home game when they shouldn't because of the fan base difference, but when deciding top 4 seeds, that focus is a little less as that match up wouldn't happen til the semifinals. They are going to take strength into account with the highest seeds. The main times they dramatically push teams higher than they should be is for early round games. For example Montana getting 25,000 would be better than Cal Poly holding 11,000 and probably not selling out. I can't see them planning three games in advance though strictly based off attendance.

Mountaineer
November 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM

I don't think so. xlolx

App has had 14 home playoff games since 2005 and only one has cleared the 19,000 mark.

We got lots of fans who love playoff football, but tend to be conspicuously absent once the time to put up or shut up arrives. :o

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM

Jesus do you not read my posts bigred? I already took this trap out of the way for you and you step it anyway?

App is fairly widely known for not getting anywhere near the crowd potential in the playoffs.

You say that teams get favorable treatment for crowds and that holds true against teams that can't fill it up. It doesn't mean **** in the decision if it's a was across the board as far as attendance.

If that is your argument then how are you seeding Maine #1?

If you want to put money on it I'll be your huckleberry with App getting seeded over other teams like MSU or NDSU if they all win out.

I could at the very least use a cool Penguin hat.:D

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Jesus do you not read my posts bigred? I already took this trap out of the way for you and you step it anyway?

App is fairly widely known for not getting anywhere near the crowd potential in the playoffs.

You say that teams get favorable treatment for crowds and that holds true against teams that can't fill it up. It doesn't mean **** in the decision if it's a was across the board as far as attendance.

If that is your argument then how are you seeding Maine #1?

If you want to put money on it I'll be your huckleberry with App getting seeded over other teams like MSU or NDSU if they all win out.

I could at the very least use a cool Penguin hat.:D

Jesus do you not read my posts bigred? Ummm.... NO!!

If that is your argument then how are you seeding Maine #1? Because 10-1 and in the CAA.

Chill my furry bear friend!

Sorry, we don't have many cool Penguin hats just the big "Y"!!

alvinkayak6
November 3rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I say dump the auto bids.

No.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Jesus do you not read my posts bigred? Ummm.... NO!!

If that is your argument then how are you seeding Maine #1? Because 10-1 and in the CAA.

Chill my furry bear friend!

Sorry, we don't have many cool Penguin hats just the big "Y"!!

Got it. You are laying off that "attendance is everything" line. Glad I changed your mind on that. It takes a bigred man to admit he's wrong like that.

The CAA has consistently had one of the top two teams in the country over the period you are discussing and therefore in spite of home crowds have landed in those spots.

I do enjoy the constant "They don't like us but they like them" thing though. It's entertaining.

Look out bigred this furry bastard is getting hungry.

"NOW WHERE THE HELL DID i PUT THOSE DAMN OREO LOOKING THINGS!"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X1IWXuEbgXI/TNkXz1LOl6I/AAAAAAAACyM/aEWndTuvZC4/s640/grizzly+bear+roaring.jpg

"Ok fellas, spread out & look big as you can!"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_q2AJ5IpJbU8/TIJwCWI8zxI/AAAAAAAAAKE/VnkYyiPHZT8/s1600/035+-+(Odyssey,+Day+Three)+-+Three+Penguins.jpg

boonegoon
November 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM

Average home attendance regular season last year. 25000.
Average playoff attendance 14000. Boo.
In 2007 23010 witnessed an Armanti clinic with over 300 yards rushing and allowing the Mountaineers a trip to their 3rd National title. What a game that was.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2011, 08:37 PM

You realize scheduling is a two way street right? You realize schedules are sometimes made three and four years in advance right? You realize that you just can't go jumping conferences at this level right? Conferences are about more than just football.

If you hate auto-bids, then they could always adopt the fluster-cluck that is the division II playoffs. How mad are you going to be when your #6 8-3 team from the MVFC has to go on the road to face the #2 10 - 1 OVC team? And that's after being on the road to face the #3 ranked team that is your own conference champion. I do like the simplified SOS formula though. lol

Autobids are the way to go. I'm not so sold on pod-seeding though. I'd prefer to go back to seeding the entire field, but money is the rule of the day.

CSN-info
November 5th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Nice discussion

Walkon79
November 7th, 2011, 11:47 AM
If App State wins out, we are #2 seed. With our attendance and the strength of the SoCon this year it is an easy choice for the committee. No way they put the #1 and #2 seeds in the midwest. (NDSU and Mont. State)

Guess the point is moot now :)

RabidRabbit
November 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Sorry not happening. If anything, standards are dropping for AQ. Pioneer has requested to be included. Under the NCAA auto-bid criteria, I'm not certain that Pioneer can't compel this to occur.

Weaker & stronger conferences will always exist. If you're from a weaker conference, very difficult to a get a home game from the stronger conference's teams. Round the $$ circle goes. Only the larger attendence (top 10?) FCS successfully schedule a 6 game @ home, and don't pick up at less 1 non-counter. So, more weak teams, from AQ's will make the play-offs. Further, using the criteria of 7 D-I wins, more weaker conference teams will get at-large slots, as the power conferences 3rd, 4th, 5th teams don't make the 7 D-I wins, while beating each other in conference.