PDA

View Full Version : 9-2 or 7-4?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Suppose you're a member of the playoff committee.

School "A" is 9-2, having lost to their conference champion.

School "B" is 7-4, with three conference losses, but they play in an extremely tough conference.

Who do you take?

youwouldno
November 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
It's a false question- there is too little information. Did the 9-2 team from a weak conference schedule tough OOC opponents? Did the 7-4 team lose to the good teams in its conference or do they have quality wins? What are their computer ratings?

crusader11
November 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Need much more information than just records.

Should a 10-1 team from the PFL get a bid versus a 7-4 team from the SoCon or CAA....NO!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
It's a false question- there is too little information. Did the 9-2 team from a weak conference schedule tough OOC opponents? Did the 7-4 team lose to the good teams in its conference or do they have quality wins? What are their computer ratings?

xlolx

RichH2
November 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
A lot of possible scenarios but as a general rule should take better record. One caveat for the 7-4 squad, to me if 2 of the losses were to BCS or above midlevel FBS teams then I would go with 7-4 team. The mere fact that 7-4 team in a stronger conference by itself not enuf to warrant playoffs.

TheBisonator
How weak is this "A" conference?? Southland weak or Pioneer weak??

Lehigh Football Nation
Note the three conference losses.

OL FU
I will jump in and agree with those that say this is too hypothetical.

BEAR
November 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
I'd take the other 8-3 team. ;.)

TheBisonator
November 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
A lot of possible scenarios but as a general rule should take better record. One caveat for the 7-4 squad, to me if 2 of the losses were to BCS or above midlevel FBS teams then I would go with 7-4 team. The mere fact that 7-4 team in a stronger conference by itself not enuf to warrant playoffs.

The committee studies strength of a team's wins VERY CAREFULLY. Who did they beat, and how good were those teams that they beat.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
I think the SoS argument cancels each other out. For example, what if two of the wins on the 7-4 squad are 1-10 or 3-8 teams?

Let's just say, though, for the sake of this poll, that there's no more than 1 sub-D-I school on the 9-2 teams' ledger. So, 8 D-I wins.

TheBisonator
November 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Is this just a hypothetical situation in your head, or are you basing this off of actual potential scenarios this year??

If it's a hypothetical, I may still need more information.

ngineer
November 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
I agree the Committee will look at the strength of the wins. "Close losses" to FBS schools do not count. No such thing as a "good loss". That's the risk you take for playing a money game. A much bigger risk if your schedule includes a D-II.

HensRock
November 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
I think this year, they probably both go.
So don't worry, 9-2 Lehigh will make the playoffs.
It would be hard to keep a 9-2 team from an AQ conference out, no matter how weak the schedule.

youwouldno
November 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Why should Lehigh makes the playoffs at 9-2? Two losses at home and no quality wins except I guess Liberty, also at home? Seriously?

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Either way I'd leave Wofford out.

appfan2008
November 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
need more information to truly answer the question...

StorminASU
November 2nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
I know absolutely nothing about Lehigh and that would make me leave them out, haha. I would also leave out Georgia Southern...or at least give them no home playoff games; there should be a NCAA rule about making visiting teams inhale the air down there.

TheRevSFA
November 2nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
I'd take the other 8-3 team. ;.)

Well played

WrenFGun
November 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
I don't care if the team has 7 wins or 9 wins. Who has the better wins? If we're talking about Lehigh versus say JMU (at 7-4), then JMU all the way. Both teams beat Liberty, JMU's next best win is better than Lehigh's, who presumably would've lost to the only real good teams (UNH/Georgetown) that they played. That said, I'm guessing both teams would be in because of the lack of quality teams.

I-16Bandit
November 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
I vote Chattanooga.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I think the SoS argument cancels each other out. For example, what if two of the wins on the 7-4 squad are 1-10 or 3-8 teams?

Let's just say, though, for the sake of this poll, that there's no more than 1 sub-D-I school on the 9-2 teams' ledger. So, 8 D-I wins.

If I'm not mistaken, the committee looks at "quality losses" as well, and historically a bad loss can keep a team out of the playoffs. You're clearly fishing to for popular consent for the team you want to get in to the playoffs when it's unlikely that they will and you're not going to win anyone's heart and mind on that one. Afterall, Dayton and Jacksonville both won 10 games last year right?

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
I think a 7-4 team with 7 D1 wins from the Socon or CAA gets the Autobid before most other autobid candidates

bojeta
November 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
This sounds like one of those surveys by political groups. They tell you it's unbiased, but when you start answering the questions, you realize they are leading or grossly lacking in information needed to answer them intelligently. Then they pop up on the news as "scientific surveys" proving that Americans support this or that. INVALID

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
I don't see what's so political about this - as a matter of fact, seeing how close the voting is, it seems to be phrased well. Leading would mean the question would be, "which would you prefer to be, an idiot, or brilliant?" These are just numbers. 9-2 or 7-4.

Mntneer
November 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
These are just numbers. 9-2 or 7-4.

Except they're not, because you added in the OP that the 7-4 team is from a very strong conference, and the 9-2 team is from a weak conference. So don't try and insinuate this is as straightforward as 9 > 7.

van
November 2nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
The committee answers this question every year, Dayton flyer can vouch for that.

asknoquarter21
November 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
A 7-4 Socon or CAA team this season is getting in the playoffs (unless it is Wofford).

I think a MVC team should also get in at 7-4

After that I will take the 9-2 team with the weaker schedule if there are any spots left.

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Yup, 7-4 team, every time. 9-2 from a little sister's of the poor conference, and not winning that conference, just isn't going to get it done.

344Johnson
November 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Except they're not, because you added in the OP that the 7-4 team is from a very strong conference, and the 9-2 team is from a weak conference. So don't try and insinuate this is as straightforward as 9 > 7.

And he said assume they have a DII win.

WileECoyote06
November 2nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Yup, 7-4 team, every time. 9-2 from a little sister's of the poor conference, and not winning that conference, just isn't going to get it done.

Gordon Gee says
'Why was everybody trippin when I said this last year?'
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2011/08/17/OSU-president-atones-for-Little-Sisters-joke-A3A7RVS-x-large.jpg

URMite
November 2nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
So to make it interesting want to make it ODU (7-4) and Lehigh (9-2) ? I am not predicting the record of either team, just seems like that might be the most controversial pairing...

WileECoyote06
November 2nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
So to make it interesting want to make it ODU (7-4) and Lehigh (9-2) ? I am not predicting the record of either team, just seems like that might be the most controversial pairing...

Who got the biggest stadium?

X-Factor
November 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
If you talking Pioneer weak, then I don't care if they are 50-0, I still wouldn't let them in over a 7-4 power conference team because they are just going to get demolished by the first team they meet it doesn't matter who it is.