PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Has anyone else looked at the MEAC?

HensRock
November 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
I don't have time to look at all the possible scenarios, but there are 7 MEAC teams with only 1 or 2 conference losses, and the head-to-heads are all circular.

B-C: 5-3/3-2, 4 D1 wins, plays MSU, SSU, FAMU, head-to-head over Hamp. NSU
FAMU: 5-3/3-2, 4 D1 wins, plays NCAT, NCC, B-C, head-to-head over SC State
Hamp: 5-3/3-2, 5 D1 wins, plays Howard, DSU, Morgan, head-to-head over FAMU
Morgan: 5-3/4-1, 5 D1 wins, plays B-C, NSU, Hamp, head-to-head (no one yet)
NCA&T: 4-4/3-2, 3 D1 wins, plays FAMU, SCSU, NCC, head-to-head over MSU, B-C
Norfolk: 7-2/5-1, 6 D1 wins, plays SSU, MSU, head-to-head over SCSU, Hamp
SCSU: 5-4/4-2, 5 D1 wins, plays NCAT, SSU, head-to-head over B-C

Norfolk State is obviously the favorite, but Morgan State also controls their own destiny. And if the Bears beat the Spartans and lose to another remaining opponent, it gets to be a real mess.

6 of them (All but NCA&T) have the possibility to finish with 7 D-I wins.

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
NSU is the best team in the conference. Dammit! I hate giving those bastards credit for anything.

Humble Steward
November 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
I respectfully disagree with that. I think we better let this one play out a little. Me thinks that Norfolk will lose another game. Just a hunch.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
The colossal mess only happens in one scenario I think: if Morgan upsets Norfolk, and then Norfolk loses to B-CU.

If Norfolk beats Morgan, then they'd have to lose to Savannah State in order to lose the title (which ain't happening).

If Morgan wins out, they're MEAC champs. And I think they're MEAC champs, too, if they beat Norfolk and B-CU, but lose to Hampton, since they'd have won the head-to-head against both.

TheBisonator
November 2nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
No 7-4 team from that bunch will make it in.

Maybe an 8-3 team, depending on how strong their wins are...

There WILL at least be 2 MEAC teams in this year though.

MTfan4life
November 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM

Last year we were all surprised when they let a 9-2 team in as an at-large. I can't really see two teams making it in if there are contenders everywhere else. I don't see a MEAC at large with 3 losses.

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Me thinks that Norfolk will lose another game. Just a hunch.

To whom? SSU? Morgan? Not happening. Neither of those teams is any good.

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
If Morgan wins out, they're MEAC champs. And I think they're MEAC champs, too, if they beat Norfolk and B-CU, but lose to Hampton, since they'd have won the head-to-head against both.

Not happening. They might beat us, just because we have played so inconsistently this year, but they are not going to beat NSU or BCU.

Humble Steward
November 2nd, 2011, 11:34 AM

Honestly, I think they lose to Morgan St. in Baltimore, MD on the last game of the season. For me, this would not be a surprise. An upset, but not a surprise.

Humble Steward
November 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Last year we were all surprised when they let a 9-2 team in as an at-large. I can't really see two teams making it in if there are contenders everywhere else. I don't see a MEAC at large with 3 losses.

Don't be surprised. I think a good 8-3 team in the MEAC has a shot of the making the playoffs with an at large bid. Especially if you have a sliding 7-4 team from another conference. There has been alot of good conference play this year in the MEAC and we should not be punished for a competitive season. However, I will say that as a conference, we need to win some playoff games when you get to the dance. No arguements on my part when it comes to that.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2011, 11:44 AM

We, Kemosabe?

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
I caught the Bethune-Cookman vs. Norfolk State game on TV. ESPNU (I think).

Neither team looked impressive. Both OLs & DLs were big, but very slow. Skill position guys looked slow too. In all, it looked like both teams had lead weights on running around in thick molasses. Plus, the camera angles were so low, it looked like a high school game.

Western could probably beat both teams. Other than that, it was a great game.

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I think they lose to Morgan St. in Baltimore, MD on the last game of the season. For me, this would not be a surprise. An upset, but not a surprise.

Really? Wow. That is a BOLD prediction. So- when did you finish Morgan?xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Western could probably beat both teams.

You cannot possibly be this stupid.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
You cannot possibly be this stupid.

Them's fightin' words, Lehigh. I hadn't even started on Lehigh U. Do y'all play football?

Humble Steward
November 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM

Neither team looked impressive. Both OLs & DLs were big, but very slow. Skill position guys looked slow too. In all, it looked like both teams had lead weights on running around in thick molasses. Plus, the camera angles were so low, it looked like a high school game.

That's surprising based on how intense of defensive game. I mean, B-CU's defense was down right dominating in this game. I respect the comment, but it seems a little off based, especially based on the awards that were garned that week for the defensive performance.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Bethune-Cookman senior defensive end Ryan Davis continues to reap accolades from his outstanding performance helping the Wildcats to defeat then 24th ranked Norfolk State last Thursday night on ESPNU. After receiving MEAC Defensive Player of the Week, and National FCS Defensive Player of the Week from The Sports Network on Monday, he received three more notable honors on Tuesday.

The 6-4, senior from Tampa recorded 11 tackles (8 solo), six tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery, not only helping B-CU top NSU 14-6 but also adding the honor of Box to Row National HBCU Player of the Week.

Davis, a 2010 Box to Row All-American, is also featured on www.boxtorow.com and will also appear as a guest on the sports talk show ‘From The Press Box To Press Row’ with host Donal Ware. The show airs on 38 radio stations around the country including Saturday right before the Wildcats take the field against North Carolina Central on Goliath Radio WELE-AM 1380 in the Daytona Beach area and on Saturday from 1-2 p.m. ET at www.boxtorow.com

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM

You saw one game with bad camera work, and now you're an expert. Let's look at the body of work. Let's look at how NSU performed against a ranked WVU and how Bethune performed against Miami. I don't know much about WCU, except that they are traditionally bad. What I do know is this- NSU is VERY good, and ANY TEAM that straps up against them better bring a lunch pail and their track shoes. But, hey, keep on underestimating the MEAC. Maybe ASU will get to play the MEAC Champs in the first round. It'll be like 1999 all over again. A person of your great football intelligence remebers what happened to ASU in the playoffs that year, don't you? 44-29 ring a bell?

Humble Steward
November 2nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Really? Wow. That is a BOLD prediction. So- when did you finish Morgan?xthumbsupx

Well, naturally as a B-CU alum, I think we are going to beat Morgan St. this weekend. However, I think they lose to Hampton as well. I don't necessarily think the Morgan St. is better than NSU, but in the past Norfolk has had issues sealing the deal. I think this is their trap game. Just my hunch.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
You saw one game with bad camera work, and now you're an expert. Let's look at the body of work. Let's look at how NSU performed against a ranked WVU and how Bethune performed against Miami. I don't know much about WCU, except that they are traditionally bad. What I do know is this- NSU is VERY good, and ANY TEAM that straps up against them better bring a lunch pail and their track shoes. But, hey, keep on underestimating the MEAC. Maybe ASU will get to play the MEAC Champs in the first round. It'll be like 1999 all over again. A person of your great football intelligence remebers what happened to ASU in the playoffs that year, don't you? 44-29 ring a bell?

Yeah, I guess you could describe that game as a defensive struggle. That'd be about the best spin you could put on it.

I was there in 1999 with FAMU. They won, pure and simple. First time (that I recall) App faced a no-huddle team. It was ungood. However, we've played a number of MEAC teams in the last few years & beat them handily; SC State, NC A&T, & Sav. St. being the most recent.

In recent playoffs, the MEAC champ has been sent to Boone in the first round. So, maybe we'll see Norfolk State. Fine with me.

Whether or not I am possessed of "great football intelligence" regarding football is irrelevant to this thread. If I were, you would not believe me. We just disagree.

Are you really suggesting that Norfolk can beat ASU? If they bring the team I saw on TV, it will be over before it gets good & started.

But, I will agree with you on one thing. The camera work on that game was truly awful.

HensRock
November 2nd, 2011, 12:23 PM
The colossal mess only happens in one scenario I think: if Morgan upsets Norfolk, and then Norfolk loses to B-CU.

Yes, and part 'B' has already occured. B-CU already owns the head-to-head over NSU (as mentioned above).

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Well, naturally as a B-CU alum, I think we are going to beat Morgan St. this weekend. However, I think they lose to Hampton as well. I don't necessarily think the Morgan St. is better than NSU, but in the past Norfolk has had issues sealing the deal. I think this is their trap game. Just my hunch.

Now I understand. You don't think NSU is the best because you are in the tank for your alma mater. Cool. I would be right there with you, if BCU hadn't have thrown up all over themselves against SCSU on National Television or gotten stomped by A&T. How does that happen? T has been teeeeeerrrrrrriiiiiibbbbbllllleeeee for the last decade and 22-3 happens? That's incosistency on a level that equals the inconsistency of my Pirates.xlolx

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I guess you could describe that game as a defensive struggle. That'd be about the best spin you could put on it.

I was there in 1999 with FAMU. They won, pure and simple. First time (that I recall) App faced a no-huddle team. It was ungood. However, we've played a number of MEAC teams in the last few years & beat them handily; SC State, NC A&T, & Sav. St. being the most recent.

In recent playoffs, the MEAC champ has been sent to Boone in the first round. So, maybe we'll see Norfolk State. Fine with me.

Whether or not I am possessed of "great football intelligence" regarding football is irrelevant to this thread. If I were, you would not believe me. We just disagree.

Are you really suggesting that Norfolk can beat ASU? If they bring the team I saw on TV, it will be over before it gets good & started.

But, I will agree with you on one thing. The camera work on that game was truly awful.

Objection, your honor. You did not beat SCSU "...handily...". You beat them by two touchdowns in 2008 and one touchdown in 2009 (off a blocked FG kick, mind you). And, no, I am not suggesting that NSU could beat ASU, I am saying that they WILL beat ASU if y'all play them.

And for a Hamptonian to say that? That's like a Tarheel making sweet love to a member of the Wolfpack.xlolx

Humble Steward
November 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Now I understand. You don't think NSU is the best because you are in the tank for your alma mater. Cool. I would be right there with you, if BCU hadn't have thrown up all over themselves against SCSU on National Television or gotten stomped by A&T. How does that happen? T has been teeeeeerrrrrrriiiiiibbbbbllllleeeee for the last decade and 22-3 happens? That's incosistency on a level that equals the inconsistency of my Pirates.xlolx

Inconsistency was definitely the case with my Wildcats in the first half of the season. Numerous offensive turnovers and penalties plagued the team and cost us a few gamesxnodx. We actually had more turnovers in the first four games than we did all of last season. Now you can cry about it, or you can make the adjustments and play the level of football that you are capable of playing. I think those adjustments have been made and the inconsistency that you speak of has been corrected. The last 3 games, we are finally playing Wildcat football and a complete game on both sides of the ball.

As far as NSU being the best, I don't have an issue with a team that we have already beaten. Of course, I would like to see them lose a game to help our chances of winning a MEAC title, but I think we are going to be fine either wayxsmileyclapx. Look for the Wildcats to be more consistent down the stretch and possibly win out.

appfan2008
November 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM

I disagree... just 1

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
Inconsistency was definitely the case with my Wildcats in the first half of the season. Numerous offensive turnovers and penalties plagued the team and cost us a few gamesxnodx. We actually had more turnovers in the first four games than we did all of last season. Now you can cry about it, or you can make the adjustments and play the level of football that you are capable of playing. I think those adjustments have been made and the inconsistency that you speak of has been corrected. The last 3 games, we are finally playing Wildcat football and a complete game on both sides of the ball.

As far as NSU being the best, I don't have an issue with a team that we have already beaten. Of course, I would like to see them lose a game to help our chances of winning a MEAC title, but I think we are going to be fine either wayxsmileyclapx. Look for the Wildcats to be more consistent down the stretch and possibly win out.

I think y'all will win out. The issue is that NSU will win out as well.

Humble Steward
November 2nd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I disagree... just 1

A good 8-3 team will definitely get consideration this year. If the competition wasn't as competitive this year in the MEAC, I would definitely agree, but this year I say 2.

biggie
November 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Would go with only 1. A&T was doing very well in the MEAC and they were no match against us (even with old QB/bland play calling and Def adjustments). Believe that the level of the MEAC has just dropped down some to have 3-4 teams more equal, where previous years there has only been 1-2 teams that were dominant. Thus just the 1 team in the playoffs based on the conf strength.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Objection, your honor. You did not beat SCSU "...handily...". You beat them by two touchdowns in 2008 and one touchdown in 2009 (off a blocked FG kick, mind you). And, no, I am not suggesting that NSU could beat ASU, I am saying that they WILL beat ASU if y'all play them.

And for a Hamptonian to say that? That's like a Tarheel making sweet love to a member of the Wolfpack.xlolx

Nope. I was at both SCSU games. I enjoyed meeting the SCSU fans & both games were good. We won "handily". I did not say we kicked their butt from one end of the field to the other. I do recall thinking (& posting on the Mountaineer Message Board) that we should be playing SCSU in the regular season.

As to Norfolk State beating App, you're dreaming.

Who are these Tarheels & Wolfpack folks of which you speak?

MTfan4life
November 2nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
I'm surprised by the confidence of getting two MEAC teams into the playoffs. They're not exactly the most successful conference in the FCS playoffs each season. Unless if teams are coming in with only two losses, with one being an FBS, I don't see any at large teams coming out of the MEAC.

I-16Bandit
November 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hell, I say let them in. I don't mind an easy bye in the playoffs. See first round last year for GSU. :D :D

Humble Steward
November 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
xthumbsupx
Would go with only 1. A&T was doing very well in the MEAC and they were no match against us (even with old QB/bland play calling and Def adjustments). Believe that the level of the MEAC has just dropped down some to have 3-4 teams more equal, where previous years there has only been 1-2 teams that were dominant. Thus just the 1 team in the playoffs based on the conf strength.

See where A&T finishes the season and then tell me how well they were doing in the MEAC. I don't buy the MEAC has dropped somexeyebrowx. The losing stretch for A&T will continue down the season. This has just been a good season in our conference. Other conferences have the same issue and they beat up on each other and lose 3 conference games and still get consideration. The games against FBS schools this year, really was a measuring stick for our conference. In 3 out 4 of these games, we performed wellxthumbsupx.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 07:49 AM
The games against FBS schools this year, really was a measuring stick for our conference. In 3 out 4 of these games, we performed wellxthumbsupx.

Norfolk St. 12-55 West Virginia
2nd place Morgan State 13-58 Bowling Green - 4-5 9th place team from the MAC Also, 3-42 to Towson.
South Carolina St. 21-38 Indiana - One of the worst FBS teams this season. Also, 6-21 to Central Michigan, 10th place in the MAC.
Bethune Cookman 14-45 Miami (FL)
Florida A&M 17-70 South Florida
Howard 9-41 Eastern Michigan
NC Central 0-48 Rutgers

Non-conference wins over .500 teams... Hampton over Alabama A&M 6-2 out of the SWAC...That is the ONLY one. Next best win is VMI. 3-5 team.

Where in there is the quality measuring stick for the MEAC?

IaaScribe
November 3rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
A good 8-3 team will definitely get consideration this year. If the competition wasn't as competitive this year in the MEAC, I would definitely agree, but this year I say 2.

No, they won't. Absolutely not. The in-conference won't be the issue. Let's look at the out of conference:

Norfolk -- lost at WVU (nobody remembers you led at half when you lose 55-12); beat possibly the second or third worst team in the country in Charleston Southern
SC State -- two FBS losses and a 10-point home win over Georgia State. Next.
BCU -- can only get to seven DI wins and only non-con win was over Prairie View. Next.
FAMU -- can only get to seven DI wins and only non-con win was over dog-*** Southern. Next.
Hampton -- the ONLY possibility ... decent wins over Alabama A&M and Princeton and a close loss to ODU. Probably needed to win that game over the Monarchs to make a real case though. Will probably win out with three home games left.

But for Hampton to even get a look, you probably need both ISUs in the MVFC to finish with four losses, and for UCA to fall off in the Southland, and for Wofford to stumble and not get to seven DI wins.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
No, they won't. Absolutely not. The in-conference won't be the issue. Let's look at the out of conference:

Norfolk -- lost at WVU (nobody remembers you led at half when you lose 55-12); beat possibly the second or third worst team in the country in Charleston Southern
SC State -- two FBS losses and a 10-point home win over Georgia State. Next.
BCU -- can only get to seven DI wins and only non-con win was over Prairie View. Next.
FAMU -- can only get to seven DI wins and only non-con win was over dog-*** Southern. Next.
Hampton -- the ONLY possibility ... decent wins over Alabama A&M and Princeton and a close loss to ODU. Probably needed to win that game over the Monarchs to make a real case though. Will probably win out with three home games left.

But for Hampton to even get a look, you probably need both ISUs in the MVFC to finish with four losses, and for UCA to fall off in the Southland, and for Wofford to stumble and not get to seven DI wins.

I think this nails it, actually. Broadly, the issue is that the power conference teams have an awful lot of eligible teams left. If NDSU, UNI and SHSU run the table, that will eliminate a bunch, but if even one of these teams get upset once I just don't see there being enough at-large teams for an 8-3 MEAC team to make it in. This is also true for an 8-3 Georgetown or a 9-2 Duquesne, too.

Matter of fact, non power conf at-large candidates might even need to be rooting for a team like Old Dominion, Towson, or UNH to lose out, too.

Humble Steward
November 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Great points guys. Let's agree to disagree. I think and 8-3 team will get consideration. We'll see how it goes down the stretch before the playoffs are decided. Anyway, the MEAC hasn't been won and is still on the table. On any given saturday, this still has to be decided on the field.

james_lawfirm
November 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Great points guys. Let's agree to disagree. I think and 8-3 team will get consideration. We'll see how it goes down the stretch before the playoffs are decided. Anyway, the MEAC hasn't been won and is still on the table. On any given saturday, this still has to be decided on the field.

Humble:
Man, I appreciate your perseverance. I just cannot shake my recollection of an undefeated MEAC team a few years ago got a #4 seed in the playoffs & got hammered in its early first round exit. Don't even recall the team. However, I would imagine those on the playoff committee remember that. I know when I was watching the Norfolk State game a few weeks ago, I remembered it.

In order for MEAC teams to gain respect in the FCS world, they're simply going to have to beat OOC foes. Right now, ain't happening.

Edit: Oh year, that undefeated reg. season team was Hampton.

HIU 93
November 8th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Norfolk St. 12-55 West Virginia
Bethune Cookman 14-45 Miami (FL)
Non-conference wins over .500 teams... Hampton over Alabama A&M 6-2 out of the SWAC...That is the ONLY one. Next best win is VMI. 3-5 team.

Where in there is the quality measuring stick for the MEAC?

The fact that NSU led WVU 12-10 at the half- in WVU's home opener. The fact of the matter is that WVU was ranked 5th in the nation at the time, and NSU beat them up in the first half of that game. Had WVU's FBS depth not have been an issue, this game would have been much closer.

Bethune Cookman was leading Miami for most of the first half and had Miami's offense completely flustered for most of the game. Miami could not block BC-U's defense for most of the game. BC-U does not have any type of kicking game, therefore they had to keep going for it on 4th down, putting them in terrible field position most of the afternoon. That was the difference in the game.

nwFL Griz
November 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM
The fact that NSU led WVU 12-10 at the half- in WVU's home opener. The fact of the matter is that WVU was ranked 5th in the nation at the time, and NSU beat them up in the first half of that game. Had WVU's FBS depth not have been an issue, this game would have been much closer.

Bethune Cookman was leading Miami for most of the first half and had Miami's offense completely flustered for most of the game. Miami could not block BC-U's defense for most of the game. BC-U does not have any type of kicking game, therefore they had to keep going for it on 4th down, putting them in terrible field position most of the afternoon. That was the difference in the game.

Your portrayal of the BCU-Miami game is not really accurate. I will say it was a very frustrating game to watch, from a Miami perspective. BCU scored first, and held that until about 7 minutes in the second quarter when Miami scored on back-to-back possesions and never trailed again. Miami allowed over 400 yards to BCU (but our D really stinks this year), but the game was never in doubt. I say that, because if a better team plays that game, they probably beat Miami. BCU had a ton of chances to really do something, but ended up killing themselves via turnover or penalty. My opinion of them after that game is that they are a young team with a bright future, but need some discipline.

It's hard to really form an accurate opinion of a team based on these FBS-FCS games, as most times the FBS team doesn't play the first team the whole game, and/or dumbs down the playbook. (Both happened in this game)

Humble Steward
November 8th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I only believe in facts and this is the truth: We loss, but we certainly outplayed the "U" for most of this game. Sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due. Good game Canes, I look forward to playing you guys next year.

Golden's reasoning was simple. Of his team's ability, he said, "We're not there yet."

And Saturday proved that.

Let's get the positives out of the way. The Hurricanes evened their record at 2-2. They won by 31 points. Jacory Harris did not throw an interception. Miller was once again spectacular. There was a defensive touchdown.

Still, the Hurricanes showed why they are long way from being a finished product.

They pulled away late to make it look like the expected dominating performance. It was anything but that. They were outplayed in the first half. Bethune-Cookman was within a touchdown midway through the third quarter.

It wasn't until the final 18 minutes when this became a game between Division I-A and I-AA schools. The sparse crowd at Sun Life Stadium could finally relax after Harris connected with receiver Tommy Streeter for a 27-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter. The play provided a candid moment when Streeter was nearly knocked to the ground when chest-bumping guard Joel Figueroa, but the humor wasn't enough to take away from UM struggles.

Time was, the second half in games as such would be a chance to showcase young talent or play walk-ons. That wasn't the case Saturday because the Hurricanes were in a fight with Bethune-Cookman for most of the day.

•Miami's effort was fairly flat through much of the game, though the Hurricanes did perform better out of halftime. It's somewhat expected given the tough loss last week to Kansas State and the upcoming trip to Virginia Tech the following week, but the performance wasn't good enough, particularly defensively.

•Miami gave up over 400 yards, and Bethune-Cookman had 24 first downs in the game (as opposed to Miami's 15, though much of that is attributable to the fact that UM hit on a couple of big plays for scores). The team has major issues with its run defense and seems to really struggle in particular with the read option out of the shotgun.

inpsite1919
November 8th, 2011, 01:57 PM
You must have been living under a rock making that comment. Morgan has a good squad this year

inpsite1919
November 8th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'm a SCSU Bulldog till I die. Do we deserve to are be in the playoffs this year? no. Is it possible yes. If Morgan beats NSU we are in. That's if BCU & SCSU wins out. Someone posted that NSU is the best team in the MEAC this year. I don't think there is a best team. Let's go Bears and Wildcats

Humble Steward
November 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I'm a SCSU Bulldog till I die. Do we deserve to are be in the playoffs this year? no. Is it possible yes. If Morgan beats NSU we are in. That's if BCU & SCSU wins out. Someone posted that NSU is the best team in the MEAC this year. I don't think there is a best team. Let's go Bears and Wildcats

We are both pulling for Morgan St. this weekend. Let's go Bears!!! Honestly, I will not be shocked if they beat Norfolk St. The MEAC has had great conference play this year. It would only be fitting if several teams finished at 6-2 in the conference.

inpsite1919
November 8th, 2011, 02:37 PM
SCSU is in a rebuilding year with only 17 seni ors on the team. We just hope that we develop a Qb

nwFL Griz
November 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I only believe in facts and this is the truth: We loss, but we certainly outplayed the "U" for most of this game. Sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due. Good game Canes, I look forward to playing you guys next year.

Golden's reasoning was simple. Of his team's ability, he said, "We're not there yet."

And Saturday proved that.

Let's get the positives out of the way. The Hurricanes evened their record at 2-2. They won by 31 points. Jacory Harris did not throw an interception. Miller was once again spectacular. There was a defensive touchdown.

Still, the Hurricanes showed why they are long way from being a finished product.

They pulled away late to make it look like the expected dominating performance. It was anything but that. They were outplayed in the first half. Bethune-Cookman was within a touchdown midway through the third quarter.

It wasn't until the final 18 minutes when this became a game between Division I-A and I-AA schools. The sparse crowd at Sun Life Stadium could finally relax after Harris connected with receiver Tommy Streeter for a 27-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter. The play provided a candid moment when Streeter was nearly knocked to the ground when chest-bumping guard Joel Figueroa, but the humor wasn't enough to take away from UM struggles.

Time was, the second half in games as such would be a chance to showcase young talent or play walk-ons. That wasn't the case Saturday because the Hurricanes were in a fight with Bethune-Cookman for most of the day.

•Miami's effort was fairly flat through much of the game, though the Hurricanes did perform better out of halftime. It's somewhat expected given the tough loss last week to Kansas State and the upcoming trip to Virginia Tech the following week, but the performance wasn't good enough, particularly defensively.

•Miami gave up over 400 yards, and Bethune-Cookman had 24 first downs in the game (as opposed to Miami's 15, though much of that is attributable to the fact that UM hit on a couple of big plays for scores). The team has major issues with its run defense and seems to really struggle in particular with the read option out of the shotgun.

I never said you guys didn't outplay us. I said, the game was never in doubt...and that is true. While the lead was a touch into the third, BCU never really threatened to narrow it, mostly due to what I said earlier...discipline.

And the Canes played alot of young guys in this game...more than just the ones who normally play anyway.

I think, that if you guys had last years team in this game....you come away with a W.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/86-playoff-eligibility-week-11

I looked at all the possibilities. There are three possible outcomes

* Norfolk State wins, and clinches the title and autobid

* Norfolk State loses, and X teams have two conference losses and tie with Norfolk.

The teams that could tie Norfolk are Bethune-Cookman, Morgan State, Florida A&M, and South Carolina State. Bethune and FAMU play each other, so at most there could be four teams in a tiebreaker.

First tiebreaker is head-to-head. If FAMU beats BCU and beats NC Central, and Morgan beats Norfolk, FAMU is the champion since they will have beaten every team head-to-head (except Morgan, whom they did not play).

* If Morgan beats Norfolk and BCU beats FAMU, then up to four teams could be involved in the head-to-head tiebreaker.
- Norfolk would have losses to Morgan and BCU, 2-2 record against teams
- BCU would have a loss to SCSU 3-1 record against teams
- Morgan would have a loss to BCU 2-1 record against teams (note: Morgan and SCSU did not play each other)
- SCSU would have a loss to Norfolk 2-1 (note: Morgan and SCSU did not play each other)

Therefore, BCU would be the MEAC champion, thanks to the fact that Morgan and SCSU didn't play each other. Crazy, huh?

Big Dawg
November 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
LET'S GO MORGAN STATE!!! BEAT NORFOLK STATE!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Actually, there are more outcomes.

* Morgan beats Norfolk
* Morgan loses to Hampton
* BCU beats Savannah State
* BCU beats FAMU

If SCSU:
* loses at least one of their last two,

This would put Norfolk and BCU with two losses. BCU would win the autobid due to head-to-head victory

If SCSU
* wins their last two games

This would make Norfolk, BCU and SCSU with two losses.

Head-to-head does not resolve it because they all went 1-1 against each other.

The MEAC's "point system" would not resolve it since all three teams would have 7 D-I wins.

That means that the autobid would go down to the team with the highest.... Sagarin rating.

Where are the teams now, you ask?

160 Norfolk State AA = 50.82 8 2 40.94( 217) 0 0 | 0 0 | 51.81 157 | 48.90 171
164 SC State AA = 50.15 5 4 44.52( 203) 0 0 | 0 0 | 48.39 169 | 50.95 161
169 Bethune-Cookman AA = 49.38 6 3 44.14( 204) 0 0 | 0 0 | 48.73 166 | 49.12 168

If this scenario happens, Sagarin better be on the MEAC offices' speed-dial.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Oh yeah, too, if Morgan beats Norfolk, Mogan beats Hampton, BCU beats FAMU, SCSU loses one of their last two games, and B-CU loses to Savannah State this weekend, Morgan and Norfolk would be the head-to-head teams, so Morgan would win the autobid.

Whew!

Humble Steward
November 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Lehigh,

I like the scenario where B-CU wins the MEACxthumbsupx. This is why the MEAC has been so exciting this year. I still think that Morgan St. wins and it comes down to the Florida Classic again. Just the way the Wildcats and Rattlers like it. All for the marbles.

Let's Go Morgan St. Get er dun!!!xlolx

Mr. C
November 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM

That observation couldn't further from the truth. Having seen both of these teams in person, I would say that Norfolk State and Bethune-Cookman are actually two of the fastest teams in FCS. They are both very athletic. You can talk to a lot of coaches, who will tell you one of the hardest things to discern on film (on in this case TV) is a team's speed. Western Carolina is one of the worst teams in FCS. I don't think the Catamounts would be beating many teams anywhere in FCS, particularly any that have been ranked in the top 25 this season, as both of these have been. Pete Adrian, the NSU coach who has plenty of NFL experience, thinks his Spartans are capable of surprising some teams in the playoffs this season.

I guess you didn't think those South Carolina State teams that gave ASU all it wanted in 2008-09 was very good either?

nwFL Griz
November 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
That observation couldn't further from the truth. Having seen both of these teams in person, I would say that Norfolk State and Bethune-Cookman are actually two of the fastest teams in FCS. They are both very athletic. You can talk to a lot of coaches, who will tell you one of the hardest things to discern on film (on in this case TV) is a team's speed. Western Carolina is one of the worst teams in FCS. I don't think the Catamounts would be beating many teams anywhere in FCS, particularly any that have been ranked in the top 25 this season, as both of these have been. Pete Adrian, the NSU coach who has plenty of NFL experience, thinks his Spartans are capable of surprising some teams in the playoffs this season.

I guess you didn't think those South Carolina State teams that gave ASU all it wanted in 2008-09 was very good either?

Second this. BCU is very fast....kept up with the Canes kind of speed.

alvinkayak6
November 9th, 2011, 01:35 AM
There is a lot of team speed for Bethune, particularly defensive speed. There is a rotating door of dual-threat QBs on offense for the Wildcats. I think they would struggle against a physical MVFC team like UNI or NDSU and not be able to score much.

Humble Steward
November 9th, 2011, 09:57 AM
There is a lot of team speed for Bethune, particularly defensive speed. There is a rotating door of dual-threat QBs on offense for the Wildcats. I think they would struggle against a physical MVFC team like UNI or NDSU and not be able to score much.

I will be honest, I am not a fan of the 3 QB rotation, but I think they really have settled in on Jackie Wilson. That's who has started the most since the Miami game. The running game really has been the difference in the last 4 games and the offense has eliminated the turnover bug and the silly penalties. Brian Jenkins has taken the game out of the QB hands and opened up the offense to allow for fewer mistakes on the QB end. Starting to rack up numbers offensively like we did last year.xnodx

The defense is solid, they come to play.

PantherRob82
November 9th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I think everyone here thinks the MEAC has plenty of speed and talent, but a lot of times they can't put together a team that plays good football TOGETHER.

inpsite1919
November 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Actually, there are more outcomes.

* Morgan beats Norfolk
* Morgan loses to Hampton
* BCU beats Savannah State
* BCU beats FAMU

If SCSU:
* loses at least one of their last two,

This would put Norfolk and BCU with two losses. BCU would win the autobid due to head-to-head victory

If SCSU
* wins their last two games

This would make Norfolk, BCU and SCSU with two losses.

Head-to-head does not resolve it because they all went 1-1 against each other.

The MEAC's "point system" would not resolve it since all three teams would have 7 D-I wins.

That means that the autobid would go down to the team with the highest.... Sagarin rating.

Where are the teams now, you ask?

If this scenario happens, Sagarin better be on the MEAC offices' speed-dial.

Last year when their was a three way tie with SCSU, BCU, and FAMU BCU won the Autobid of SOS

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2011, 10:54 AM
no