PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty PFL has

DetroitFlyer
November 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc11.htm?loc=interstitialskip

25 PIONEER (AA)= 37.37 36.46 ( 26) 10 36.81 ( 26)
26 NORTHEAST (AA)= 36.71 37.22 ( 25) 9 37.12 ( 25)
27 SOUTHWESTERN (AA)= 31.21 31.41 ( 27) 10 31.34 ( 27)

passed up the NEC and the SWAC in Sagarin's ratings! Time for that autobid! (The MEAC better look out, we are coming for you next!)xnodx

TexasTerror
November 2nd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Where does the PFL stand in GPI? Has it passed up the NEC and SWAC, as well?

Guess someone already notified the Sun Belt that the SoCon is better via Sagarin - http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=524894

TheBisonator
November 2nd, 2011, 07:34 AM
WOW!! Only THIRD WORST out of the 25 Division I football conferences!!

(And the PFL is supposed to embody the true beliefs and spirit of FCS football. God help us all....xnutsx)

henfan
November 2nd, 2011, 08:30 AM
I'm assuming this thread is sarcastic, as I'm at a loss to find one quality win the entire PFL has in 2011.

crusader11
November 2nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Three awful conferences...congratulations!

Before NEC backers jump down my throat, I will say that Albany has a solid squad this year.

DFW HOYA
November 2nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
It's always important to keep in mind that the Sagarin ratings are a statistical summary and does not fully incorporate strength of schedule. Five PFL teams are ranked higher than 1-8 Villanova but no one is going to argue that Jacksonville is 10 points better than 'Nova. Similarly, 7-2 Georgetown is statistically ranked higher than Memphis or Tulane but I wouldn't exactly pick the Hoyas over either right now.

WestCoastAggie
November 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM

passed up the NEC and the SWAC in Sagarin's ratings! Time for that autobid! (The MEAC better look out, we are coming for you next!)xnodx

Yet the MEAC can't get a team ranked in any of the damn human polls.

danefan
November 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
Its an interesting result.

The NEC had a down year for OOC games, but I think Albany is a pretty strong team. Probably the best we've ever put on the field.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Yes, I, too, have noted that the AGS crowd is now starting to quote Sags an awful lot lately. Funny, though, that the folks that jump all over the GPI don't jump on the over-reliance on Sags, even though taken alone it's even more flawed!

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
I'll take Massey any day over Sagarin....It at least takes the non-DI games into account.

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Yes, I, too, have noted that the AGS crowd is now starting to quote Sags an awful lot lately. Funny, though, that the folks that jump all over the GPI don't jump on the over-reliance on Sags, even though taken alone it's even more flawed!

Why would we jump over the Sagarin? No one is trying to hoist it up as some predictor of who should or shouldn't be in the playoffs. It's a miscellaneous computer model that is just as incorrect as all the other ones. They only become a problem when people try to use them to do something they shouldn't do (like pick the playoff teams).

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM

What a minute? The PFL has been behind the SWAC in the ratings? Dear lord, that's just abysmal.

youwouldno
November 2nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
The computer rankings in the GPI are actually not bad- 4 of the 7 are good and the other 3 are OK. It is statistically problematic to drop the highest and lowest result for each team though.

The consensus of all FCS rankings on massey's site has the PFL 14th, ahead of only the SWAC.

M Ruler
November 2nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Man! I dont care if Albany runs the table and does well at the dance but WE GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS CONFERENCE!!!! Dane 96 & Danefan be sure and send this link to McElroy & Phillips! Its something i am sure Fordie complains to McElroy about every day

DetroitFlyer
November 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Man! I dont care if Albany runs the table and does well at the dance but WE GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS CONFERENCE!!!! Dane 96 & Danefan be sure and send this link to McElroy & Phillips! Its something i am sure Fordie complains to McElroy about every day

I take that to mean that you would like Albany to join the mighty PFL?:Dxlolx

Side Judge
November 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Discussion or Smack - hmmm...

bluehenbillk
November 2nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
This thread is like people arguing over teams in the NIT.

Dgreenwell3
November 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM

O no...wichita state fans heard that.

813Jag
November 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
that's not saying much. Take a look at the SWAC West standings xlolx

West
Prairie View 4 - 3 4 - 4
Arkansas-Pine Bluff 3 - 3 4 - 4
Grambling State 3 - 3 4 - 4
Southern 3 - 3 3 - 5
Texas Southern 1 - 5 3 - 5

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM

That's a slam at the NIT out of nowhere. This is more like arguing over one of those two "other" tournaments for teams shut out of the NCAA and the NIT.

ngineer
November 2nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
It's always important to keep in mind that the Sagarin ratings are a statistical summary and does not fully incorporate strength of schedule. Five PFL teams are ranked higher than 1-8 Villanova but no one is going to argue that Jacksonville is 10 points better than 'Nova. Similarly, 7-2 Georgetown is statistically ranked higher than Memphis or Tulane but I wouldn't exactly pick the Hoyas over either right now.

But Monmouth is...from the NEC..."jus' sayin" (;-)

Model Citizen
November 2nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
no one is going to argue that Jacksonville is 10 points better than 'Nova.

I'll say it. Jacksonville is 10 points better.

Monmouth was 11 points better, so I'm not too far out there. Especially now that Jax has healed up a bit on defense.

Agree with the dude who said PFL has no quality wins. The same could be said of the conferences rated lower in Sagarin.

Best of the worst. Sexy slogan, eh.

MplsBison
November 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
I don't really need to say this, but I want to anyway:

if I were FCS czar I wouldn't give the PFL an auto-bid even if the conference had a perfect record against all AQ teams!!

The PFL is anti-FCS, not because they're idealists, but because they're too cheap to spend an appropriate amount of money on football.

They're entitled to nothing.

Model Citizen
November 2nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I don't need to say this, but no one cares what you would do.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Didn't the Citadel beat the crap out of Jacksonville?

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2011, 08:35 PM

WIU also beat them by 14 and WIU just might be the worst team in the MVFC.

Squealofthepig
November 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM

That's a tough one to call - MSU beat WIU who beat SIUr who beat MSU who (etc)

downbythebeach
November 3rd, 2011, 01:24 AM

LOL

downbythebeach
November 3rd, 2011, 01:27 AM

We'll be better with URI next year..........and UMaine coming soon..........

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2011, 01:48 AM
That's a slam at the NIT out of nowhere. This is more like arguing over one of those two "other" tournaments for teams shut out of the NCAA and the NIT.

1800pizza.com field of 64?

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2011, 01:50 AM

You realize because you said this... WIU will now beat NDSU.

Tod
November 3rd, 2011, 01:59 AM

if I were FCS czar I wouldn't give the PFL an auto-bid even if the conference had a perfect record against all AQ teams!!

The PFL is anti-FCS, not because they're idealists, but because they're too cheap to spend an appropriate amount of money on football.

Republican, much?

UAalum72
November 3rd, 2011, 07:33 AM

That won't help if they get worse because the league continues to handicap itself with scholarship limits.

superman7515
November 3rd, 2011, 09:39 AM

Maine has a good shot at winning the CAA AQ and getting seeded whereas Rhode Island is lowering football because they can't compete. Hopefully Maine has proven something to their administration and won't be heading out anytime soon.

danefan
November 3rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
That won't help if they get worse because the league continues to handicap itself with scholarship limits.

+1

NEC needs to take the shackles off its teams.

alvinkayak6
November 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM

So, the players do not deserve a chance to compete in the playoffs because the schools are cheap? That's not very nice. xcoolx

Why not let Jacksonville play in the playoffs? Illinois State will probably make it and they only beat lowly Morehead State by a few points.

I say we espouse a more open system and let every conference compete...I would like to see Alabama A&M and Harvard play, as well. It's the difference between us and as Coach Bennett says "THE BIG BUOYS"

MplsBison
November 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM

You care, otherwise you wouldn't have posted a reply.

alvinkayak6
November 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
There is no such thing as careless posting? Hmmm....I am quite the counter-example (play on words).

M Ruler
November 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM

I agree with you. I also think the NEC will be better when the NEC moves to 57 full scholarships

Ivytalk
November 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
...struck out!:D

Tod, how ya doin', friend?:)

CID1990
November 4th, 2011, 08:20 AM

After VMI, the Jax game was the best game we have played all season. If we had played Furman and Elon as well as we played Jax, our only losses so far would be to Wofford and ASU, and this weekend's game with GSU would have playoff implications for both teams instead of just for GSU.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2011, 11:17 AM
After VMI, the Jax game was the best game we have played all season. If we had played Furman and Elon as well as we played Jax, our only losses so far would be to Wofford and ASU, and this weekend's game with GSU would have playoff implications for both teams instead of just for GSU.

hey, I'm right there with you....The Citadel has a lot of potential, but they've been really inconsistent. The only game where they got totally dominated was Wofford.

olejack
November 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM

I would tend to agree with that. The non-scholly conferences (schools) found a way to help them pay for the Title IX crap.....have the football team pay for it. And now they want an auto bid and the money that comes with it on top of that? Hmmm?

danefan
November 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I would tend to agree with that. The non-scholly conferences (schools) found a way to help them pay for the Title IX crap.....have the football team pay for it. And now they want an auto bid and the money that comes with it on top of that? Hmmm?

There is so many things wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to start.

First off, how exactly do non scholly football teams pay for the "Title IX crap"?

Second, what is this "money that comes from the auto bid"?

MplsBison
November 4th, 2011, 01:04 PM
There is so many things wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to start.

First off, how exactly do non scholly football teams pay for the "Title IX crap"?

Second, what is this "money that comes from the auto bid"?

I think his point is that being true non-scholarship (vs. fake non-scholarship like Patriot) doesn't count against the male/female scholarship distribution while still making $$$ for the athletic department.

It's a valid point if those schools actually do bring in revenue - which is hard for me to believe. But maybe Dayton has the same amount of fans as a school like St John's in Minn. Don't know.

In truth, title IX is about participation - not scholarships. So the football team does still count against title IX in that sense.

DetroitFlyer
November 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Dayton complies with Title IX primarily by having a large, non-athletic scholarship, women's rowing program to offset football.

alvinkayak6
November 4th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Stop drilling on our FCS brethren. We have a playoff system. Let's be proud we are not snobs who deny access because of biased views of conference strength. Let's instead encourage others to join in the party and get as much TV coverage of our playoffs as we can. I'm looking at you, Fox Sports, CBS College, and NBC!

MplsBison
November 4th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Stop drilling on our FCS brethren. We have a playoff system. Let's be proud we are not snobs who deny access because of biased views of conference strength. Let's instead encourage others to join in the party and get as much TV coverage of our playoffs as we can. I'm looking at you, Fox Sports, CBS College, and NBC!

DII and DIII have a playoff system too.

What good does it do when no one watches the playoff games on TV?!

MplsBison
November 4th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Dayton complies with Title IX primarily by having a large, non-athletic scholarship, women's rowing program to offset football.

No doubt that meets the interest and abilities of the Dayton female student body! All that great history of rowing in Ohio...it's really something isn't it?